adc
Senior - BHPian

Day #6 contd... - Tawang to Bum La

Day #6 contd... - Bum La

Quote:
B U M L A
Quote:
[16500 ft]

Bumla is 37 kms away from Tawang. From Tawang to Y-junction is 22 Kms which is metalled and the rest 15 Kms is graveled. This road is one of the shortest connectivity points to china from Tawang (India). In the Chinese side, the geographical terrain and landscape is far better than Indian side. Shyo (China) is 3 Kms, Kachin- 5 Kms, Dengding 6 Kms and Nyagdo 8 kms from Bumla. The nearest major town of Chinese side, Tsonajong [this is mentioned in that video]is 43 Kms from Bumla border post. It is a district HQ town as well as Brigade HQ connecting Gordung-Lhasa-Beijing trunk Highway. It is connected by all weather metalled road to Tsethang (district HQ in Tibet, China) by a distance of 508 Kms from Bunmla (India).

The visiting Army family and us were given a great talk about Bum la and the geography around. And do hear how he says that it is all peaceful out here - far from what the perception is made out to be. Everyone who goes there can get a talk like this, there is no sensitive info in here.

And all those ulta-pulta questions at the background by me - you can blame that on the shivering dry cold wind, no head cap or gloves!

Through that scope, a blue Chinese tent outpost and the road leading to it can be seen, beyond that first hill is a big barrack of Chinese soldiers.

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5595.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5596.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5598.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5600.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5601.jpg

And a great expression in that photop - the cold wind with no gloves gave that natural look!
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4584.jpg

From the observation post, we were led to the Bum La Hut, the meeting place for the 2 Armies.

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5597.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5603.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5610.jpg

contd...

Last edited by adc : 25th March 2010 at 17:36.
Old 25th March 2010, 18:22   #92
adc
Senior - BHPian

Day #6: At Bum La

Quote:
Bum- la Hut was constructed by All Ranks of 1 Maratha LI (JANGLI PALTAN) and inaugurated by Maj. Gen. ND Jetli, VSM on 29th May 2000.

At Bumla Hut
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5605.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5612.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5614.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5615.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5616.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5617.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5620.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5621.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
It is also humbling to see how our soldiers guard the country in the face of adverse conditions
The Flag flutters high forever because of them.
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5618.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5623.jpg

Its time for the back journey now.
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5624.jpg

contd...

Last edited by adc : 25th March 2010 at 18:31.
Old 25th March 2010, 19:04   #93
BHPian

Wow, what a travelogue ADC! Brilliant!

As good or even better than the Sikkim one! Keep going!
Old 25th March 2010, 19:26   #94
Senior - BHPian

Amazing, I'm lost for words to describe it./ I'm hooked to this log and waiting for more.
Old 26th March 2010, 10:34   #95
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Wow, what a travelogue ADC! Brilliant!

As good or even better than the Sikkim one! Keep going!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Amazing, I'm lost for words to describe it./ I'm hooked to this log and waiting for more.
Thanks to both of you. Updating today a little later.

Proxima, the Sikkim tour was also fantastic and even if I may say so, more remote, particularly at Chopta Valley. Sometimes a dirt road with no one is sight and will not be in sight for at least 24 hours or more - leaves quite an impression. Of course heading off to N Sikkim, you will find out - it has its own mesmerizing charm. Good luck for your journey, the weather is absolutely clear till now!!
Old 26th March 2010, 11:33   #96
Senior - BHPian

Anirban Babu, amazing amazing trip, pics and narration. am just loving it
Old 26th March 2010, 17:30   #97
adc
Senior - BHPian

Returning from Bum La

With one last view of the Bum La post and field, it was time for the return journey.
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5610.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5631.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5634.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5637.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5638.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5639.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5640.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5644.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5645.jpg
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5638.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	316116

Going back crossing these two stretches were no sweat now, it is all downhill and easily done
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5646.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5654.jpg

We stop at the Temple in honour of Subedar Joginder Singh, PVC, which we skipped while going.

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5662.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5656.jpg

Took a break to marvel at the expanse
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5658.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5657.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5661.jpg

contd...

Last edited by adc : 26th March 2010 at 17:37.
Old 26th March 2010, 18:13   #98
BHPian

Anirban Babu,

I am really lost for words. This is an amazing travelouge. An awesome journey.

Salute to the Indian Army and to you for undertaking this. What sort of research did you do before going on this journey?

Cheers..!
Old 26th March 2010, 18:22   #99
BHPian

Anirban, I am thinking June, when the streams would be flowing with clear crystal water, the valleys would be lush green. Offcourse at the Bumla hieght, I guess it would stay the same. Waiting for more ...
Old 27th March 2010, 14:02   #100

These are the most beautiful pictures i have seen in a long time,and the place is must visit,definately on my wish list of places to see, KUDOS Anirban sir.
Old 27th March 2010, 22:17   #101
Senior - BHPian

adc, that was a great account as usual - one more in your series of most unusual places in India.

A few quick queries, if I may:

1. Did you take your permits for Arunachal yourself (in Kolkata/Guwahati) or did you engage an agent?

2. Why was the Bum la permit taken at Tawang? Not given by the other office (s)?

Just to add a few photographs from my 2001 drive to Tawang, P T Tso!

The Se la was freezing in December, but still had lots of water left:

P T Tso was looking nice and blue:

Old 28th March 2010, 10:21   #102
BHPian

It is always advisable to have tubeless tyres for such trips. I realised the importance of tubeless tyres on a trip to Shungatser only. A nail somehow went into the Wrangler ATR of my TCIC and we felt loss of tyre pressure. Now you would know that in these inclines, compounded by the gravel and the snow, jacking up the car is not an option. All I could say was Thank You.
Old 28th March 2010, 14:59   #103
BHPian

What an amazing travelogue, reading this must be now very common for you but I say it with my heart.
I so wish that I could do this once.
Superb work mate and lovely pictures and experiences.
Old 28th March 2010, 18:16   #104
Team-BHP Support

ADC, a Sikkim/Bhutan trip in the Safari is due from you. Any plans?

I heard that insurance becomes void in Bhutan. That is, Indian insurance companies will not entertain claims for damages to the car in another country. Check on this one.
Old 29th March 2010, 01:40   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Returning from Bum La

Took a break to marvel at the expanse

Attachment 316134

contd...
Marvelling since 26th Jan, 2010.
No doubt the scenaries are worth marvelling for a year, but...
move on, please.

Most Viewed