Old 29th March 2010, 14:12   #106
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
am just loving it
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameern.85 View Post
Salute to the Indian Army and to you for undertaking this. What sort of research did you do before going on this journey?

Cheers..!

Thanks again, this journey was done with minimum preparation with respect to booking and reading, due to uncertainty of the travel itself and work pressure. Glad that everything came out okay, as it should have been done with more preparation about routes and places, and we were invariably asking at Assam/Arunachal often "where this road leads to or how much km?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzire2Travel View Post
Anirban, I am thinking June, when the streams would be flowing with clear crystal water, the valleys would be lush green. Offcourse at the Bumla hieght, I guess it would stay the same. Waiting for more ...
Ummm.. but this is what may happen, Arunachal sees rain from April onwards. So you have muddy water and landslides. Tawang is dry and windy, [leeward side], but still it gets some rain around that June time or at least definitely no clear sky. Going to heights and passes, one needs clear skies for views, photos, and satisfaction. Go around late Oct to Dec, it should be the ideal months.

Valleys out here always lush green and wait and see pictures of the Dirang Valley and the clear water. It is only this time with no rains you get clear water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiaturbo View Post
These are the most beautiful pictures i have seen in a long time,and the place is must visit,definately on my wish list of places to see, KUDOS Anirban sir.
Sure do visit, NE and Sikkim leave an impression for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
A few quick queries, if I may:

1. Did you take your permits for Arunachal yourself (in Kolkata/Guwahati) or did you engage an agent?
I entered Tawang late evening and with power cut, it was all dark. The third hotel that I rolled into, was run by couple and that place with parking was our stay. Now this hotel owners, on hearing that I need to go to Bum la and to help me anyhow, the luck was that he knew the administration and even the local MLA, and viola we got the permit - got the permit from the administration through his contacts for our own vehicle. Only thing that he said was that the pass to be validated by me - I have to be present there at the Army post and explain why I want to go and our details.

As said, over the 4 days, I was at Tawang, it was almost a homestay for us at that hotel, the amount of silent support that we got from them was amazing!

Now whether this was exclusive thing that the hotel owner could manage or the permit for self-drive can easily got, this not sure.

Quote:
2. Why was the Bum la permit taken at Tawang? Not given by the other office (s)?[
Most probably as one has to be present at that Army Memorial gate in person for Bumla pass to get that validated. The administration will sign and the Army will validate, without validation no one is going up even if the administration signs.

Quote:
Just to add a few photographs from my 2001 drive to Tawang, P T Tso!
The Se la was freezing in December, but still had lots of water left:
You and akroy has always shown the spirit is more important than vehicle, whether be it at Ladakh or here at Sela or cross country travel. Kudos to you both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkborah View Post
It is always advisable to have tubeless tyres for such trips. Now you would know that in these inclines, compounded by the gravel and the snow, jacking up the car is not an option. All I could say was Thank You.

Absolutely. This is exactly what happened at 5 pm, evening time, after Jalori. It got punctured at the incline, the jack wont fit, the car is at angle, and had to roll up with all that weight, the tube got cut and it was exhausting and drained me out totally, and still there was another 14 hours of journey left, we were going from Shoja to Mathura overnight journey.

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_7886.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_7896.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospirit View Post
What an amazing travelogue, reading this must be now very common for you but I say it with my heart.
I so wish that I could do this once.
Superb work mate and lovely pictures and experiences.
Thanks buddy, you sure will do it once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
ADC, a Sikkim/Bhutan trip in the Safari is due from you. Any plans?

I heard that insurance becomes void in Bhutan. That is, Indian insurance companies will not entertain claims for damages to the car in another country. Check on this one.
Two-thirds of Sikkim have been covered, ie, North and East Sikkim

North Sikkim link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ni-tajpur.html

and

East Sikkim link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...k-jelepla.html

West Sikkim is what is left. March-April is the best time, lets see - may be next year or afterwards on those months only. As said, its time you come to this side!

As for Bhutan, may be after another 2-3 years - want to go interior towards the mountains other than the normal and whatever I read its max remote and no roads.

Yes heard thats true, for Bhutan the privates dont cover or have to take additional coverage. But National Insurance [NI] does, I have ICICI now, when will go Bhutan will that NI coverage for that year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
Marvelling since 26th Jan, 2010.
No doubt the scenaries are worth marvelling for a year, but...
move on, please.
he he, its about time but have to go out, update coming later in the day. Would have done today, Safari is in garage to get it checked up, it was not done after the Arunachal trip. just a preliminary checkup.

More so, this weekend, It is going to see some stream boulder crossing, good inclines, forest trails [N Bengal -
Bhutan border].

Another thing, let me share this, both wife and you dont seem to move without a cup of tea in the morning. That was a must before we set off on that days trip. First morning tea was the instant energy!

Last edited by adc : 29th March 2010 at 14:23.
Old 30th March 2010, 12:35   #107
adc
Senior - BHPian

Day #6 contd... - Tawang to Bum La

Returning from Bum La

Some more random pictures of the return journey
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5665.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5668.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5677.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5678.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5704.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5714.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5731.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5744.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5747.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5752.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5759.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5781.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5794.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5804.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5698.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_5769.jpg

contd...
adc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2010, 11:52   #108
BHPian

I logged into T-bhp today just to thank you. It has been a splending travelogue and the efforts you have put in to create this cannot be thanked in words. I wish you and your family loads and loads of happiness and good health.
Old 31st March 2010, 15:03   #109
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
I logged into T-bhp today just to thank you. It has been a splending travelogue and the efforts you have put in to create this cannot be thanked in words. I wish you and your family loads and loads of happiness and good health.
Wow! these are some of the most beautiful words that I come across logging in and really keeps up the energy on this side. Thanks much!

Will be resuming the travelogue again on Tuesday, after a hibernation of 3-4 days.
Old 31st March 2010, 16:21   #110
BHPian

Fantastic travelogue and beautiful pictures. And your (and family's) energy in planning and executing such a trip is impressive. Could you please post a map indicating your route when you get a chance.
Old 31st March 2010, 22:38   #111
BHPian

[quote=adc;1811019] Returning from Bum La
Attachment 318439
quote]

I like this one.. What equipment do you use? The pics are amazing.
Make me wish to chuck my job and get a Safari.
Old 1st April 2010, 14:29   #112
BHPian

I personally have traveled a lot in Hills (Kashmir, Himachal, Uttaranchal) but this is equally amazing. I wish the technology to teleport with a vehicle to State Capitals was there (Only state capitals and then drive).
I liked you kid's expressions (When he didn't find Snow and Maggi). Smart Kid he is.

Congratulations and wishing you a great, happy, travel and adventure filled life.
Old 1st April 2010, 16:22   #113
buz
BHPian

One of the best travelogues I have encountered. Really inspiring. Got me down to my comp to start figuring out my own wish to do the Mumbai-Bangalore-Mangalore-Coastal route-Mumbai trip. Thanks a lot ADC. Once I am done with the plains and the coast, I will definitely embark on this terrain.
Old 6th April 2010, 11:06   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post

Will be resuming the travelogue again on Tuesday, after a hibernation of 3-4 days.
11 hours into Tuesday and counting...
Old 6th April 2010, 14:06   #115
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwas View Post
Fantastic travelogue and beautiful pictures. And your (and family's) energy in planning and executing such a trip is impressive. Could you please post a map indicating your route when you get a chance.
Surely, will be putting the map of the travel done at the end. If it is only Tawang then it is straight forward, the road to Bhalukpong from Tezpur and then onwards to Dirang and Tawang - thats the only road out there.

[quote=no_sweat;1814350]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Returning from Bum La
Attachment 318439
quote]

I like this one.. What equipment do you use? The pics are amazing.
Make me wish to chuck my job and get a Safari.
Canon S3IS is what I had all along, got a 450D with kit lens last October. The S3IS is used for zoom nowadays and the dslr for landscape.

Buttt, anyone of the other fantastic photographic members out here would have done a much better job, my knowledge is much limited as for photography.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykaul View Post
I personally have traveled a lot in Hills (Kashmir, Himachal, Uttaranchal) but this is equally amazing.
thanks much, and it is time you come to Sikkim and Arunachal, beautiful driving experience and fulfillment for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buz View Post
One of the best travelogues I have encountered. Really inspiring. Got me down to my comp to start figuring out my own wish to do the Mumbai-Bangalore-Mangalore-Coastal route-Mumbai trip. Thanks a lot ADC. Once I am done with the plains and the coast, I will definitely embark on this terrain.
thanks again, and I do look forward to your experience on this coastal run - long time a wish to start from the southern tip to MH along the western ghats, monsoon time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
11 hours into Tuesday and counting...
Just returned morning today after a 16-hour drive and now backlog work, barely keeping the eyes open. Surely from tomorrow.

BTW, see this, a must visit for your 4wd if you go to Dooars.

Along River Jayanti - Indo-Bhutan border

Last edited by adc : 6th April 2010 at 14:20.
Old 7th April 2010, 21:33   #116
Senior - BHPian

Im very glad I did not read your travelogue when you started writing it. It sure would have been a torture to wait for the next episode.
Sheer inspiration is all I can say.
Im glad people like you are on this forum and I feel that you deserve a Distinguished Bhpian tag too for the simple reason that having traveled to all these unknown places of our beautiful country, you have cared to share what most Indians will not see in their entire lifetime. As such you not only satisfy the thirst of the many who will not make it to these parts but also inspire many to make an effort to go and see India.
Im sure there are many on this forum who may have gone and seen these remote areas, but to care to share is something unique. It requires a lot of time, care, patience and love. And to share with such continuous frequency as yours i would love to give you that tag if I could.
Therefore, If any mods are reading please consider this request if it falls within the framework of the constitution of this forum.
Edit: I have reported my post with a request for the same.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 7th April 2010 at 21:37.
Old 7th April 2010, 23:50   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

@ Anirban: Wow! That's a superlative trip, which I missed reading all this while - partly because I was travelling and subsequently writing my own travelogue. Great photographs. The engine change has been a boon for you it seems.
Old 8th April 2010, 09:08   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Im glad people like you are on this forum and I feel that you deserve a Distinguished Bhpian tag too for the simple reason that having traveled to all these unknown places of our beautiful country, you have cared to share what most Indians will not see in their entire lifetime. As such you not only satisfy the thirst of the many who will not make it to these parts but also inspire many to make an effort to go and see India.
Im sure there are many on this forum who may have gone and seen these remote areas, but to care to share is something unique. It requires a lot of time, care, patience and love. And to share with such continuous frequency as yours i would love to give you that tag if I could.
Therefore, If any mods are reading please consider this request if it falls within the framework of the constitution of this forum.
Edit: I have reported my post with a request for the same.
+1 to that. The "D-Bhpian" tag is very well deserved by ADC.
Old 12th April 2010, 10:58   #119
BHPian

Common Mr. Lazy DC.... wake up!
Old 12th April 2010, 13:15   #120
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Real grand stuff you got there. I loved all the snaps. Especially the three (5668, 5794, 5698).

Most Viewed