Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2010, 12:55   #136
Team-BHP Support

Great log.
One advice. The diesel sedimenter separates fuel from water. so normally, it will have some water, but indicator will not light up unless water level touches a certain level.
So before parking on a cold night, drain diesel via opening the filter, and let some diesel come out.
In the morning, upto -5 degree or so, you will get a start, and since safari has a return type common rail, soon warm diesel from the rail(via fuel return line) will go back to the tank, and the fuel will get sufficiently warmed up.

Draining water before parking at night solves the problem of ice crystals.
Old 15th April 2010, 13:28   #137
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzire2Travel View Post
Breathtaking Scenery Anirban, the Urgelling Monastery looks so quaint and uncomplicated, gells with the Landscape. Please continue ....
You said it very correctly, quaint it was and no tourists or even local people. Plus late evening after a journey all round it was serene and calming. The Tawang monastery visible from Urgelling was one amazing view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Great log.
One advice. The diesel sedimenter separates fuel from water. so normal

Draining water before parking at night solves the problem of ice crystals.
TSK, is that easy to remove and fix the fuel sedimenter [FS]. Long before at a TASS, I was told that there are sensors at the FS and fixed wrongly or done something else will show up engine light, and I kept away from it since then.

But I read in your Chitkul travelogue that you had yourself removed and checked it. It would be great if those who have done this job before to make a pictorial on how to remove and fix the FS and post it in technical section .

Anyway, thanks much for the tip. 45k service is near, and I will be telling them to check the FS situation.

Last edited by adc : 15th April 2010 at 13:32.
Old 15th April 2010, 15:57   #138
Team-BHP Support

adc, how can the ice crystals form inside? Doesn't diesel & petrol sold everywhere have anti-freeze additives?

Those guys are crazy - lighting a bonfire under the fuel tank. My car would have definitely gone kaboom!
Old 15th April 2010, 17:19   #139
adc
Senior - BHPian

Day #8: Tawang - Sela Pass - Dirang

At Sela Pass

Quote:
Sela Pass is the gateway to Tawang. Sela Pass, where the history and romance meet is situated at the height of 13,714 ft above the sea level. Sela was a local maiden who had fallen in love with Jaswant Singh, who confronted the Chinese invasion in 1962. Sela died a martyr and the pass named after her. Experiencing the picturesque setting of Paradise Lake at this height with the reflections & refractions of light was a stunning experience.

Sela Pass and Sela Lake were all misty as we crossed while going late afternoon. But while coming back its morning time, and the weather is all clear for some majestic views of Sela Lake

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6199.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6201.jpg

At Sela Pass

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6204.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6203.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6202.jpg

Now I had passed the Sela Gate, parked it up at the side as seen in the above pictures and went up to the Sela Memorial to see whats written out there. As soon as I got over there, came to notice another dirt road branching off to the left and goes high above, rapidly ascending. The right metal road is what one takes by instinct and naturally and it goes to Tawang, but then where does that other dirt road go?
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6205.jpg

This picture taken from the metal highway road and the trail road can be seen high above on the other side of Sela Lake

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6197.jpg

And as usual by nature, start enquiring about that dirt road. Got hold of one BRO person out there, and as per him that road is high altitude track that goes pass one of their last camps and will be all snowy and there are some beautiful very less seen lakes out there, but again he warned that the road is slippery and no tourist vehicle goes out there. We had around half hr in hand and plan was like to go as much possible and turn around when thing get dicey. So on to the other side of Sela Lake and we climb rapidly and begin to slide on snow.
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6206.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6207.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6208.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6212.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6213.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6210.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6209.jpg

With a heavy heart had to abandon the journey to those unseen high altitude lakes, VTT was sliding sometimes wildly in that narrow track. With much difficulty, getting down and seeing where the rear tyres were, turned and it was back towards the Sela Pass gate again. When do I get a 4wd???
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6216.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6215.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6223.jpg

Sela Lake from the other side, this trail is a must to be explored once later.

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6218.jpgSafari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6224.jpgSafari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6225.jpg

All jumping and travelling done at Sela, it was now a downhill journey towards Dirang Govt Lodge [the same one where we stayed while going up] for the night stay, but then it was a very important day for someone, and once after Sela long before eagerly waited when we will go to the hotel

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6230.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6232.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6240.jpg

Dec 29, 2009, was his 5th birthday and he grinned from ear to ear as the simple preparations were made. Since the birthday falls on the holiday period, he has this distinction of having birthday enjoyed at a different place and state each year. Last year it was at Sunabeda Forests at the Orissa-Chhattissgarh border!

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6252.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6255.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6259.jpg

So in that super cold night at Dirang, we soon are fast asleep. We are on are way back, but as said, we made some very interesting detours...

contd....

Last edited by adc : 15th April 2010 at 17:22.
Old 15th April 2010, 17:30   #140
Senior - BHPian

The unknown road from Sela is so inviting. And I have no doubts that you will try it on a 4X4 in few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Dec 29, 2009, was his 5th birthday and he grinned from ear to ear as the simple preparations were made. Since the birthday falls on the holiday period, he has this distinction of having birthday enjoyed at a different place and state each year. Last year it was at Sunabeda Forests at the Orissa-Chhattissgarh border!
Junior ADC is one lucky child!
Old 15th April 2010, 22:10   #141
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
adc, how can the ice crystals form inside? Doesn't diesel & petrol sold everywhere have anti-freeze additives?

Those guys are crazy - lighting a bonfire under the fuel tank. My car would have definitely gone kaboom!

Smartcat the last day was super windy cold and all the Sumos and Boleros were having firewood placed beneath their fuel tank. Even the petrol pump had difficulty dispensing diesel as most of their diesel was waxy solid after overnight cold. I was more worried about the wires and sensors that come out from the fuel tank and adjacent to it, that is not there in the old gen taxis.

Diesel till December is supplied the normal diesel with winter diesel supply starting from the 1st week of Jan.

Ice crystals dont know, may be water was there in fuel??? This picture does show crystals scrapped off from the fuel tank pipe mesh filter.

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4807.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
The unknown road from Sela is so inviting.
It sure was, next time if out there its worth a try. Some 8-10 lakes are up there on that unknown trail. The route definitely can be done easily in summer times, but winter it has to be to see the effect of ice and water but then it will be qute dicey up above, we are climbing up rapidly from the 14k height of Sela Lake. The trail was quite narrow and it took some may be 10 back and forth maneuvers to make a U-turn back.

Last edited by adc : 15th April 2010 at 22:20.
Old 16th April 2010, 11:56   #142
adc
Senior - BHPian

Day #9: Dirang - Sangti Valley - Eagle Nest

Day #9: Dirang - Sangti Valley - Eagle Nest [Lama Camp]

After a good night sleep at Dirang Lodge, it was great to get some real sunlight after 4 days of Tawang coldness. We are headed to Sangti Valley, a great place to get some sun and spend time beside some crystal clear mountain stream.
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4953.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4964.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4975.jpg

Quote:
At a distance of 12 Kms. beyond Dirang is the famed Sangti Valley, Sangti is dotted with numerous picturesque spots. One of the prime attractions is a sheep breeding farm. The other one being the Chuskar (traditional water mill), a flour mill system using hydro power, which is used by the villagers to grind the millets. The Sangti valley is the favored tourist destination for avid bird watchers as well as it is home to the endangered back necked cranes during winter months which come to nest here from Tibet.
The sky was at its magical best
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4965.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4966.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4967.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4969.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4970.jpg

As we moved down towards the stream, Sangti Valley mesmerized us on a clear warm sunny morning. We were accompanied by the caretaker of the Dirang Govt Lodge - a great helpful boy who enjoyed the journey as much as we did.
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4986.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4987.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_4972.jpg

Everyone soaked up the sun, ambled around, the stream water was amazingly clear.

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6261.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6264.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6267.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6291.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6300.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6292.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6297.jpg

We spent quite some time over there, and from there managed to call Mr Indi Glo, President, Bugun Welfare Society for the Eagle Nest Sanctuary. From what I had read before going, Eagle Nest Wildlife Sanctuary is one of the least known forests out there, most of it still not be covered.

Only that he told us it is already late, the trail road is lonely and narrow with no settlements and not to stop till we reach a camp, the Lama Camp. What a journey it was and the subsequent days, the adventure never ended even at the fag end of this mammoth journey.

Beyond Bomdilla,we stopped at Tenga for lunch before going off for Eagle Nest.

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6307.jpg
Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6316.jpg

And followed and admired this Army 550 jeep, some day will need this one when it comes up for auction

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6326.jpg

And it was time to go again for some unknown, Eagle Nest Sanctuary is up there on the mountains, it is already evening with sunlight fading quickly, as we crossed Tenga Ledge for the trail road to Lama Camp.

Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam]-img_6328.jpg

contd....

Last edited by adc : 16th April 2010 at 12:04.
Old 16th April 2010, 14:30   #143
BHPian

Where is this Eagle Nest, can't find it in google maps. Must be somehwere close by to Bomdila, I guess!
Carry on please...
Old 16th April 2010, 20:47   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Doesn't diesel & petrol sold everywhere have anti-freeze additives?
Quote:
Even the petrol pump had difficulty dispensing diesel as most of their diesel was waxy solid after overnight cold.

Diesel till December is supplied the normal diesel with winter diesel supply starting from the 1st week of Jan.
but does anyone have experience using anti gel additives in diesel in extreme cold weather? And do we get the stuff in India?

A quick search came up with a number of products:

AMSOIL - AMSOIL Diesel Recovery Emergency Fuel Treatment
AMSOIL - Diesel Concentrate Cold Flow Improver
XADO AntiGel Diesel
Power Service Products, diesel fuel additives, prevent gelling, clean injectors, disperse water, boost cetane, reduce emissions, improve fuel economy
Concentrate Diesel Fuel Anti Gel Additive Treatment
Champion® Diesel Fuel Conditioner/Antigel?

Quote:
The trail was quite narrow and it took some may be 10 back and forth maneuvers to make a U-turn back.
...and the moot question is, as I asked you on the phone: what does your clutch have to say about these manoeuvres at the end of the trip?
Old 16th April 2010, 23:01   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As we descended, there's a bifurcation. The straight road goes to Tawang and all take that road. As we asked one local, came to know that its a lonely road that goes to T Gompa aka Tiger's Den. The name and road itself was enough of an inspiration for me to check it out.
Attachment 327887
Attachment 327888
Attachment 327889
Attachment 327890
[i][u][b]
The road was one lonely road I have ever driven with no one in sight. The name "Tiger Den" also made the journey kind of mysterious and interesting with wife asking me to turn, guessing that there will be some kind of "tantric" or "cult" camp out there. The road deteriorated soon and milestones dont say anything
Interesting! I "always knew" that ultimately one had to walk to Taktsang (much like the one near Paro), which is why never went there, and never bothered to find out later on also. Must do it the next time I go that side.

O.T.
This "always knew" can make one look very stupid at times. Case in point: long back when the Bhutan E-W highway had just been built, I wanted to do a run across Bhutan. Entry at P'Soling, exit at Samdrup. Was told firmly NO. Pt, of entry and exit has to be the same. Never bothered to find out later on if the rules had changed, and imparted this "knowledge" to all and sundry. Till suddenly I find people doing this run and me looking like a fool!

Thanks
Sutripta
Old 16th April 2010, 23:16   #146
Senior - BHPian

Simply stunning ADC. Utter lack of words. The mind conjures up plans in the hope of - 'someday, oneday, i will' !!
Your family is very lucky and Im sure they know it. I hope you continue doing such trips and your son grows up one day talking to his friends about fables from his travels, thanks to his dad.
Just like I thank my dad today.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 17th April 2010, 08:00   #147
R_R
BHPian

Hats off to you, ADC!!

More than anything else, I applaud your guts in driving the Safari to such lonely places! Fantastic!
Old 17th April 2010, 23:39   #148
BHPian

The pictures only keep getting more and more better and exhilarating!!

Wish the junior a belated happy birthday

Liked the pics 6225 & 6261. Really amazing pose to have the beast in. I am sure Tata Motors would not mind paying you some royalty to make use of those

Superb stuff sir!!!
Old 18th April 2010, 02:37   #149
Senior - BHPian

ADC..went thru all the 10 pages over last 1 hour..mostly gazing at the pics that you took along with some of the description. You sure are lucky to have a wife and son who like travelling..GR8 pics and only makes me dream of the safari EVEN more..Cheers!!
Old 19th April 2010, 01:04   #150
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
Where is this Eagle Nest, can't find it in google maps. Must be somehwere close by to Bomdila, I guess!
The one and only dirt road approach to Eagle Nest WLS is from Tenga - Tenga is on the Bhalukpong -Bomdila highway to Tawang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
...and the moot question is, as I asked you on the phone: what does your clutch have to say about these manoeuvres at the end of the trip?
Almost every journey till now has involved a situation where the clutch has been under stress and was abused, this was apparent last time when it was opened up. It was burnt in places and TASS insisted on changing, but there was and there is still no telltale signs of clutch slippage as such. However, the last of mountain journeys is up for this clutch, with the clutch being stressed out to max in this Arunachal trip. It will be risk going up in the mountains with this clutch and it costs around 12k to change - If a Leh or Sikkim tour happens will change before going out. A travel on the plains can be done still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Interesting! I "always knew" that ultimately one had to walk to Taktsang (much like the one near Paro), which is why never went there, and never bothered to find out later on also. Must do it the next time I go that side.
Thanks
Sutripta
The "walking one" most probably is the Anni Gompa [womens monastery] and for Takstang the road ends up at the monastery itself. As said, a must do road but with time in hand. It is a long and lonely journey up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
The mind conjures up plans in the hope of - 'someday, oneday, i will' !!
Jay
Sure you will, and you will let me know beforehand. There's another absolutely unknown forest [other than Eagle Nest] up there on that route that needs to be driven to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
More than anything else, I applaud your guts in driving the Safari to such lonely places! Fantastic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyurshah View Post
The pictures only keep getting more and more better and exhilarating!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
ADC..went thru all the 10 pages over last 1 hour.
Thanks much to all of you.

Last edited by adc : 19th April 2010 at 01:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks