Team-BHP - Business with Pleasure in the City of Ideas : Lund, Sweden
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Business with Pleasure in the City of Ideas : Lund, Sweden (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/77589-business-pleasure-city-ideas-lund-sweden-11.html)

One word B.E.Autiful; its good to look at some of the buildings that are centuries old & still looking young. I'm eagerly looking forward for season of autumn; I experienced it only in US for a short period & it was way too superb; would like to see Europe in Autumn.

Autumn in Europe is beautiful. No denying that. In India, rainy season is beautiful when you are in green areas.

The Beauty of Autumn lies in the various colors that the leaves adorn.

Some clicks of the area i lived in during my first trip to Lund is called Flygelvagen.

The area is accessible on Route No 1: Ostra Torn to Klostergarden. Ostra Torn is the last bus stop and this is where Flygelvagen area is.

In Lund, the city buses, called as Stadsbuss are run by the company skanetrafiken which manage not only city bus but also Train transportation in the region where Lund is located. The region as previously mentioned by Star is called Skane and this is the southernmost and possibly the densest populated region of sweden.

Buses generally have seasonal timetables. More buses during winter, less during summer! Probably they encourage people to walk i guess :). Swedes consider themselves lucky if proper summer lasts for 2 full months in which time they take month long vacations and enjoy the time in the sun.

Coming back to Flygelvan, well, this area was like a resort! Have a look.

Each apartment consisted of a two storey house split into four apartments(Two on the first floor and two in the ground floor). Each apartment had 2 halls, a bedroom, a bathroom, a kitchen. These fully furnished apartments had a minimum 42 inch LCD, a music system, very good lighting, high speed internet connection(used to download a 700MB movie in 30 mins :D), a fully automatic washing machine, a cloth dryer, a bathtub, a hair dryer, kitchen with OTG, Microwave, electric burner, all utensils, cutlery and sometimes even a dishwater. For cleaning, even the vacuum cleaner was provided. Hows that for comfortable living?
Rents in the range of 50 to 60 euros per day.

Lets take a look at the surroundings to see autumn at its best. Proabably in my next post, i will put up some pictures of the rest of the Skane region which will in general cover the autumn hues as well.

For now,this. A general walkway inside the complex:
Business with Pleasure in the City of Ideas : Lund, Sweden-dsc07436.jpg

Partitions through thick greens like these:
Business with Pleasure in the City of Ideas : Lund, Sweden-dsc07437.jpg

Neat, clean and very very colorful!
Business with Pleasure in the City of Ideas : Lund, Sweden-dsc07441.jpg

A typical leaf. Yash Chopra anyone?
Business with Pleasure in the City of Ideas : Lund, Sweden-dsc07442.jpg

Go Green!
Business with Pleasure in the City of Ideas : Lund, Sweden-dsc07443.jpg
Business with Pleasure in the City of Ideas : Lund, Sweden-dsc07444.jpg

Lets take a look at a typical road. Roads have names generally ending by the name vagen(road) or gatan(street) or byvag(lane). A Square is named with names ending in "Torget"

Observe the separate path for cycling and one for walking. There are signal posts for cyclists as well as for walkers!
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07444.JPG
Views:	523
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	407745

Another look at the same:
Business with Pleasure in the City of Ideas : Lund, Sweden-dsc07445.jpg

A look at the area near the cathedral
Business with Pleasure in the City of Ideas : Lund, Sweden-dsc07470.jpg
Business with Pleasure in the City of Ideas : Lund, Sweden-dsc07469.jpg

Amazing pictures; did you take them when there're no one around or just that there're no one around in those places? But I thought the color of the leaves should be turning red or rather orange during Autumn isn't it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 2030143)
Amazing pictures; did you take them when there're no one around or just that there're no one around in those places? But I thought the color of the leaves should be turning red or rather orange during Autumn isn't it?

Thanks.

Actually very few people around in those places. Even though Skane region is the densest in Sweden by population, we see very fewer people around.

Yes, you are right. The color of the leaves should be turning red or orange. I have not taken close up shots of the leaves, if you zoom some of the images, you might see some red leaves as well. Mostly the leaves were yellow, dark orange and so on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 2030143)
did you take them when there're no one around or just that there're no one around in those places?

Population desity of India : 324 people per sq KM average
Population desity of Sweden : 21 people per sq KM average

you can imagine the answer.

Hi iPai,

these pictures are still from Lund itself, did you manage to visit the nearby towns/villages etc during your stay ?
post some pictures if you have.

more over write about the weekend culture, Friday afternoon onwards till monday morning coffee breaks.

@STAR,

how i missed this thread?
probably due to confusion between your too many business pleasure travelogues.:D

very nice travelogue.:thumbs up

@ipai,

nice pics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD (Post 2030391)
@STAR,

how i missed this thread?
probably due to confusion between your too many business pleasure travelogues.:D

very nice travelogue.:thumbs up

I wish your statement was true and i have too many business with pleasure occations, but as of now there are only two viz. Lund, Sweden and Taipei, Taiwan

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...nd-sweden.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ts-taiwan.html

ofcourse i would love to add more.. if business grows, then it will be a pleasure and i can share part of it with all of you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarVegaBond
more over write about the weekend culture, Friday afternoon onwards till monday morning coffee breaks

Yes, I like to read & understand this life style & see how different or same as this is from US. If I need to describe about the weekend lifestyle of US in one sentence, you can see the calf working between Monday to Friday turning to Godzilla in the weekends :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD (Post 2030391)

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarVegabond (Post 2030417)
as of now there are only two viz. Lund, Sweden and Taipei, Taiwan

OK,
i edit my quote as

'' probably due to confusion between your two of business pleasure travelogues.'':D

Fall colours are best seen in temperate zones. Even in India, I've seen photos of Himachal and Kashmir during fall which were amazing. Beats even europe and US. But some of the best fall pics I've seen are of Canada.
But nothing comes close to the ever green tropics during the monsoons!

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarVegabond (Post 2030372)
Hi iPai,

these pictures are still from Lund itself, did you manage to visit the nearby towns/villages etc during your stay ?
post some pictures if you have.

more over write about the weekend culture, Friday afternoon onwards till monday morning coffee breaks.

Sure Star! Coming up next will be the Skane West coast trip pics consisting of Landskrona, Helsingborg, Kraprup Castle, Molle and Kullaberg.

Also, some general pictures of Lund, including the Botanical garden. Plus pics from my trip to Simrishamn, Ahus on the east coast. Bjarred and Lomma beaches on the West coast.

Then sometime i will add some pics of Malmo, Copenhagen and Hensingor(both Denmark)

If time permits, i would also add Oslo pics. What say?:)

Weekend culture:

Friday Afternoons:
There is something called a "Fika" culture. Fika literally means a coffee break in Swedish. But, here a person in a team brings cake/sweets/sweet dish/snack for the rest of the team members. This system is on rotation basis. A sheet of paper containing all the names of the team members is circulated. The one who wishes to give Fika has to get hold of the Sheet and keep it with him till the next member takes over.

Coming back to Fika, the person has to get some good cake and cream or a pastry or any kind of sweet. The indian members there get snacks such as samosa, puffs too. We had got Kheer :)

We wanted to implement this Fika system in india too, but couldnt :Frustrati

Star, if you want to add anything on Saturday and Sunday you can start. I will be happy to add to it :) Because our Saturdays and Sundays were spent on sight seeing trips!

Quote:

Originally Posted by iPai (Post 2030800)
Sure Star! Coming up next will be the Skane West coast trip pics consisting of Landskrona, Helsingborg, Kraprup Castle, Molle and Kullaberg.

Also, some general pictures of Lund, including the Botanical garden. Plus pics from my trip to Simrishamn, Ahus on the east coast. Bjarred and Lomma beaches on the West coast.

Then sometime i will add some pics of Malmo, Copenhagen and Hensingor(both Denmark)

If time permits, i would also add Oslo pics. What say?:)

When you are doing somethng good, you should not ask. keep uploading.
most of these names (except copenhagen and Malmo) are new for me, if at all i go again to Lund, i will try visiting some of these, till then i will enjoy your pictures.

Quote:

Friday Afternoons:
There is something called a "Fika" culture. Fika literally means a coffee break in Swedish. But, here a person in a team brings cake/sweets/sweet dish/snack for the rest of the team members. This system is on rotation basis. A sheet of paper containing all the names of the team members is circulated. The one who wishes to give Fika has to get hold of the Sheet and keep it with him till the next member takes over.

Coming back to Fika, the person has to get some good cake and cream or a pastry or any kind of sweet. The indian members there get snacks such as samosa, puffs too. We had got Kheer :)

We wanted to implement this Fika system in india too, but couldnt :Frustrati

i also heard about this, but never experienced. But i have experienced weekend team lunches in Taipei, Every friday one person pays. last time when i was in Taipe i paid,

if you have to start such a thing in india, start small, in a smaller group
we had done similar things when i was in mumbai.

Quote:

Star, if you want to add anything on Saturday and Sunday you can start. I will be happy to add to it :) Because our Saturdays and Sundays were spent on sight seeing trips!
Only occation i have stayed over a weekend on a business trip was when i was in Beijing two years ago, visited great wall. Other two occations when i stayed over the weekend what when i was doing my executive MBA in Ashridge UK way back in 2006, visited London.

all three occations, i never spent the time in office on a friday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarVegaBond
if you have to start such a thing in india, start small, in a smaller group

For some reason it never works in India. Here's why...

A Wednesday - all of our team members decide that we should all go out every Friday for lunch. Me who brings lunch from home should cancel the home food on Fridays. So this is the game plan
Friday 1 - A colleague (junior most) of ours takes all of us out & pays the bill; it was Subway
Friday 2 - I bring the lunch from home by mistake
Friday 3 - One of our colleague is not working
Friday 4 - We forget
Some Non Friday after several months - we all remember about having team lunch & decide we'll go the forth coming Friday
Friday N - One of our colleague is assigned to different project & he comes by night shift & we cancel it for him.

We're still in the starting phase :D; Oh!!! yes, we're a smaller group of about 5 people