Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2010, 17:14   #1
BHPian

BLR - Mudigere - Dharmasthala

Hello All,

This is my first post after my entering T-Bhp. If there are any mistakes / deviations, please excuse me.

Last week, my wife, kid and my in-laws ( they r from Hassan) planned for a trip to Dharmasthala in my Wagon-R. I was in a dilemma as my in-laws told me that since Shiradi ghats are in a bad shape, taking the car there would be not on.

But, i knew about the Charmadi ghat option, but was not sure of the road condition, as i was travelling with family. I had read / was informed about the bad stretch of road between Belur & Mudigere ( via Gonibeedu).

Anyways, i decided that we will go on and make the trip with my car only.

We ( Wife, daughter & myself) started from BLR on 12th Mar ( Friday) late afternoon and reached Hassan around 8 PM.

The route we took was like :

Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Kottigehara-Charmadi-Ujire-Dharmasthala.

On Saturday morning, we left Hassan around 7 AM and reached Belur. Upon making enquiries in Belur, we found out that there are two routes from Belur to Mudigere. One, the regular route thro' Gonibeedu and the other, via Gendehalli. We were told to take the Gendehalli route as the Gonibeedu route was riddled with potholes.

I must say, that we did the right thing in taking the Gendehalli route for this road although a single laned one, is in good condition right upto Mudigere and also it passes thro' some coffee plantations with good scenery.

After Mudigere, as it is already known, the route is thro' Kottigehara & Charmadi. We had breakfast at Kottigehara ( Neer Dosa) and reached Dharmasthala at 11.30 AM.

Had darshan and meals at the temple and came out at 1.45 PM. Went to the Car Museum and spent an hour there.

While returning we visited a Rama temple at Kanyadi and came back to Hassan via the same route which we took in the morning.

Please have a look at the photos of the road condition of Charmadi Ghats for anyone who intends driving in this section in the near future.
BLR - Mudigere - Dharmasthala-dsc02302.jpg
One more photograph of the road surface of charmadi :
BLR - Mudigere - Dharmasthala-dsc02343.jpg

We could not go to Kukke Subramanya due to paucity of time and we intend going there after the rains.

Trust the above info would prove to be useful.

Cheers..

Rajesh
Rajesh K R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2010, 23:55   #2
Team-BHP Support

Road condition looks good. Is this the way it was allthrough?
Old 21st March 2010, 13:50   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Road condition looks good. Is this the way it was allthrough?
yes, the road condition is good from Hassan right upto Dharmasthala. Its the same as you see in the attached photos.
Old 21st March 2010, 17:11   #4
Team-BHP Support

Is this the state after they have fixed the patches?
Old 21st March 2010, 19:26   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
which segment are you referring to ? i drove on this road on 13th March (last week) and i found it good for Wagon-R, so must be great & comfortable for other cars better than Wagon-R.
Old 22nd March 2010, 09:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi Rajesh, great trip you had there! Please upload some more snaps, if possible.

The Charmadi ghat road looks promising and enticing.

I heard that heavy trucks are not being allowed on the Charmadi ghat road. From your experience, is this correct?

I have never driven on this ghat. How are the hairpin bends?

Cheers!
Old 22nd March 2010, 10:27   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Hi Rajesh, great trip you had there! Please upload some more snaps, if possible.

I heard that heavy trucks are not being allowed on the Charmadi ghat road. From your experience, is this correct?

Cheers!
Rajesh,

This is what I was also referring to. I had heard that heavy vehicles are not allowed. So how was your experience as there was some patch work done on that stretch.

(Others correct me if I am wrong. I though both Shiradi and Charmadi ghat sections were patched-up after monsoons).
Old 22nd March 2010, 11:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
I must say, that we did the right thing in taking the Gendehalli route for this road although a single laned one, is in good condition right upto Mudigere and also it passes thro' some coffee plantations with good scenery.
Yep Nice winding route all the way till Mudigere. You went thru my village :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Most of the potholes have been fixed. Fresh tar has been laid on Charmadi ghats.
Quote:

Cheers!
19 hairpin bends, amazing driving experience. They are in good shape
Old 22nd March 2010, 11:49   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Yep Nice winding route all the way till Mudigere. You went thru my village :-)

Most of the potholes have been fixed. Fresh tar has been laid on Charmadi ghats.

19 hairpin bends, amazing driving experience. They are in good shape
I do agree with you, this was the first time i drove on this road, and i am yearning already for another drive. Amazing road with great scenery & greenery !!!

Which is your village ? I know that you belong to that belt. Lucky man, i envy you..
Old 22nd March 2010, 11:49   #10
Team-BHP Support

This was one of my "secret" routes to Mangalore. But now almost everybody knows this route. The distance is same - 350 km - but one rarely used to see heavy traffic. I used to avoid the Nelamangala mess by driving to Kunigal via Magadi. Since I stay in Nagarbhavi, this is the quickest way to get to Kunigal/Hassan.

I have driven to Mangalore & back atleast 25 times - so I keep trying out different routes.
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:21   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
This was one of my "secret" routes to Mangalore. But now almost everybody knows this route. The distance is same - 350 km - but one rarely used to see heavy traffic. I used to avoid the Nelamangala mess by driving to Kunigal via Magadi. Since I stay in Nagarbhavi, this is the quickest way to get to Kunigal/Hassan.

I have driven to Mangalore & back atleast 25 times - so I keep trying out different routes.
How is the road condition from Ujire to BC Road at present ? I think some kind of construction activity is going on from BC Road to Pumpwell ??

I am keeping my fingers crossed, that the Magadi road stays in good driveable condition in the days to come. I started using this section from last 4 months, and i have already noticed a sizeable increase in percentage of traffic. Obviously more people have discovered this road now.
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:26   #12
Team-BHP Support

No idea about Ujire BC road conditions - it has been sometime since I have taken that route.

Yes, Bangalore - Magadi -Kunigal route is now being used by some private buses too - unfortunately. I need to discover another route to Mangalore!
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:33   #13
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers!
Yes, it was a good trip. We didn't feel tired at the end because of the good roads.

I will try to upload some more snaps later.
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
I do agree with you, this was the first time i drove on this road, and i am yearning already for another drive. Amazing road with great scenery & greenery !!!

Which is your village ? I know that you belong to that belt. Lucky man, i envy you..
Hahahaha....
Nandipura , Just before Makonahally towards Mudigere....
How abt rest of the pics ?
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:54   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Hahahaha....
Nandipura , Just before Makonahally towards Mudigere....
How abt rest of the pics ?
Don't remember seeing the village. Not many pics taken. will post them soon..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks