Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2010, 02:19   #1
BHPian

Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!

Kudos to all automobile enthusiasts and travelers out there!

This is my first ever thread in TBHP!...and I choose to write a travelogue!

This one is a little back dated as it happened on September 4-6, 2009.

It all started like this - My college buddy had visited India on vacation from NewZealand and we(me and my other buddy from college) decided to have our good ole days back without our family(I hope wifey doesnt read this!). Ofcourse why do people come to India for vacation if not to entertain their friends? !!...Rite??

So it was planned that we will start this trip from Erode, Tamilnadu. I have my Swift parked there with my parents' residence for my convenience whenever I visit them. My NewZ friend was also based in Erode. So our other friend decided to take a night bus to Erode from Blr where he lives. I had used my Club Mahindra to book for a couple of nights at their Tusker Trails.

The venue is fixed, the ride is set, now what? THE PLAN?? Oh we are a bunch of boyz and do we ever need a plan?!! ....so we decided to get there and find out.

So my Blr friend arrives @5am, my NewZ frd picks him up and they are at my house @5.20 sharp. I never get sleep the night before any trip, I guess its just anxiety ....so I'm up and ready already! And we are out of the house by 5.30!!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 7th July 2011 at 09:12. Reason: Excess smileys removed. Please limit smileys to 2 per post.
Old 22nd March 2010, 04:53   #2
BHPian

We are waiting for the entire log along with pics.Old friends surely bring a fresh wiff of life in you boring schedule when we meet them after long long time.
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

@Luvurride: You are breaking the forum rules and it is not permitted. More than 24 hrs have passed and new post & pictures have not appeared.

Did you not read the rules for newbies or fachas???
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:17   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
@Luvurride: You are breaking the forum rules and it is not permitted. More than 24 hrs have passed and new post & pictures have not appeared.

Did you not read the rules for newbies or fachas???
On top of it you may get the wrath of your home ministry.
Boyz on a trip of married men?

Check if you get food tonight and get to sleep inside the house.
Old 22nd March 2010, 16:28   #5
BHPian

Well, if that was the teaser you have done your work, now get down to putting somethign more like with pictures etc!
Old 23rd March 2010, 04:35   #6
BHPian

Sorry guyz, come Monday, the usual start of the week fever gets you!

Anyway, thanks for the encouraging words and here we go -

We leave at 530, fill the tank up and are at KARUR at 620! thats perfect, I thought! Then we get into the lifeline of South India - the Mighty NH7! Well this was the first time I traveled on it after they've built the four-lane and WOW - toooo good! Before I realize I was cruising at 120! Somewhere past Aravakurichi, came a Honda City that was zooming in my rear view and I pumped up and in no time was at 140! Both my friends gave me that stare - "So you think you are still in college, huh?!!".

Well fortunately, before I could find an answer for that, we were in Dindigul. Well my Blr friend had to attend his colleague's marriage in Madurai. I tried my level best to convince him to wish him over the phone, but he was sure to do it because that was the reason he took leave on Friday! So I took a momentary decision to take the Natham road to Madurai as his friend's house was enroute. Got off the highway and entered Dindigul town. The clock was 7.30, never in my life have I done Karur-Dindigul in less than hour and half! Thanks to NHAI! We thought we will finish our breakfast there and were at a small restaurant. Steaming hot Pongal and Vada! This is why I love being in the South!!

Left Dindigul at 8 and reached Madurai by 8.50, spent some 30 mins at the friend's house. After wishing him, we left Madurai at 9.30 and had to wail through the city traffic crossing it from North to South West and were in Theni Road by 10.

Guyz, I have to break the flow now as I have to travel to Trichy, but be back tonight with more! I'm sure you will kill me for not posting any pictures, but the actual ones start only from here. But anyway, just to keep the spirits high, here are a couple of my ride, Swift VXi 2005 Azure Grey-
Attached Thumbnails
Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-picture-004.jpg  

Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-picture-007.jpg  

Old 23rd March 2010, 07:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

People are waiting here to hear from you as to what happened after 5:30 am. Where have you gone.

Rules are Rules as correctly stated by GD sir
Old 24th March 2010, 00:56   #8
BHPian

Guyz all the pictures I have are atleast 3mb and I would have to downsize them to post here. Any suggestions please?

I truly apologize for the delay!
Old 24th March 2010, 02:11   #9
Team-BHP Support

Resize

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Guyz all the pictures I have are atleast 3mb and I would have to downsize them to post here. Any suggestions please?

I truly apologize for the delay!
Download IrfanView or similar and use batch resize to downsize your pictures.
(Be sure you make a copy first so you still have your original hi-res versions).

Check this thread for more ideas / software -> https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/annou...-team-bhp.html (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP).

Post #4 deals with resizing pictures -> How to resize images:
Old 25th March 2010, 02:36   #10
BHPian

@aah78 - Thanks MOD for your perfect directions and your patience to explain me as I should have looked it up myself from support forums. Got Irfanview installed, managed to resize the pics and voila here we go-

The road was pretty decent on NH49 all the way to Theni. Just before Usilampatti, there was a traffic jam and vehicles piled all the way. We just waited for about 10mins but there was no sign of clearance. So me and my NewZ buddy(Okay let us call him CHOTU and my Blr one as LAMBU, ofcourse I will be MOTU!!!) thought to check out what was wrong. We walked past a long queue and were expecting a big accident or capsize of some sort, but guess what - there were a group of people who had gathered in the middle of the road and nobody dared to pass!! But fortunately by the time we got there they just moved away and gave way for traffic! Huh, no need to show our heroism!!

We went past Theni and then saw this sight to behold - a wave of water gushing out from a small dam, greenery, coconut trees, mountains at the backdrop - we had to stop! and take pictures ofcourse! There were quite a few locals who were having fun with the water and we decided to do our bit too!
Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-thekkady-sep2009-013.jpg

Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-thekkady-sep2009-009.jpg

Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-thekkady-sep2009-010.jpg

Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-thekkady-sep2009-014.jpg

Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-thekkady-sep2009-022.jpg

Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-thekkady-sep2009-023.jpg

Left that place but couldnt take our nature calls there so decided to stop a few kms later. But the scenery all around kept us glued to the road! WOW thats greenery everywhere! and when we couldnt control any further, had to stop! so more pictures!!

Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-thekkady-sep2009-039.jpg

Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-thekkady-sep2009-041.jpg

managed to capture a distant church at the backdrop of mountains!

Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-thekkady-sep2009-045.jpg

Some fun!!

Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-thekkady-sep2009-036.jpg

Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-thekkady-sep2009-034.jpg

After passing Bodinayakanur and a few kms later the ghat section greeted us! Never did I know that I will be doing a lonnnnnng stretch of driving in the next couple of days! But thats for later.

The slight drizzle had dipped the roads in water and the sun had hid behind the clouds! we downed our windows and the pleasant chillness and freshness in the air engulfed us! WE WERE IN KERALA! Here are some more pictures of what I just described -

Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-thekkady-sep2009-048.jpg

Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-thekkady-sep2009-050.jpg

Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-thekkady-sep2009-051.jpg

Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-thekkady-sep2009-054.jpg

Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-thekkady-sep2009-058.jpg

KUMULI greeted us with a smile!

Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-thekkady-sep2009-070.jpg

Soon we were at the checkpost. They did sound strict and searched through the boot. Since there wasnt anything of interest(or so they thought!) we were let through.

Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-thekkady-sep2009-072.jpg

Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-thekkady-sep2009-071.jpg

Busy street of Kumuli -

Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-thekkady-sep2009-073.jpg

Soon we were at this junction, a familiar landmark around here, where we had to head straight to get to the resort.

Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-thekkady-sep2009-076.jpg

Just a km down, we were at CLUB MAHINDRA TUSKER TRAILS! It was 3.00pm.

Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-thekkady-sep2009-083.jpg

Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-thekkady-sep2009-085.jpg

After a comfortable check in at the reception(Oh the welcome drink - a very refreshing tamarind mocktail- is worth the mention!), we were guided to our cottage.

About the resort - This property has been taken over from TAJ by Club Mahindra a couple of years ago. Almost all cottages in this resort are on stilts and natural materials have been used to keep it native to the ambience. There is extensive landscaping all through the property. There is a small pool too.(didnt make sense as it was raining, maybe meant for summers only?!)

Some pictures from the resort -

Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-thekkady-sep2009-376.jpg

Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-thekkady-sep2009-379.jpg

Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-thekkady-sep2009-337.jpg

Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-thekkady-sep2009-338.jpg

Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-thekkady-sep2009-352.jpg

Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-thekkady-sep2009-368.jpg

Ours was a big single room with a King size bed on one side and a huge couch on the other which can be extended to an extra bed. There was a verandah with a couple of seats to relax. Overall, NEAT!

After freshening up, headed straight to the restaurant. Since the buffet closes at 3, they had to make on order. We had some rice, dal, fish curry. After satiating the gastronomes in us, we decided to check out the activities center. The pool table was our first choice but since it was being used, we played some Table tennis and killed time. I knew game viewing in the lake was the major attraction of Thekkady and hence inquired at the reception. The receptionist suggested us to be there at the park gate by 6am to catch the first ride into the lake to maximize the chances of viewing wildlife.

We then took a walk around the resort and I decided to check out the ayurvedic center. Inquired about the packages and decided I should get a decent massage sometime. Soon it started to pour heavily. So decided to stay indoors and headed back to the activities center. This time the pool table was all ours as the dinner was being served which attracted the resident crowd. Had some fun time at the pool table and then headed to the restaurant for dinner. It was a decent spread but since we had late lunch, just grabbed something and went back to the cottage. Spent sometime at the verandah enjoying the cool breeze and sharing some nostalgia. Then finally hit the bed at 12 setting the alarm to 5am.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - DAY 1.

Will start Day2 tomorrow, until then ..
Attached Thumbnails
Boyz Day Out - Thekkady!-thekkady-sep2009-046.jpg  

Old 25th March 2010, 06:01   #11
Team-BHP Support

Hey some of the pictures that you re-size dont seem OK. For example see the water in the pool, or the foot paths of the resort.

But nice story. Kumily sure looks inviting. How was the experience at Club Mahindra? The place looks good.

Also that was a nice snap of the dam. How deep are those waters?
Old 25th March 2010, 11:13   #12
BHPian

luvurride, great pictures. the entire theni - kambum - kumily stretch is very pleasant to drive, good roads, great greenery around.. very friendly people. We used to come back from Sabarimalai through this route. My fathers friend owns Arya Bhavan in Kumily just opposite busstand on the kerala side... where we used to have good vegetarian food after the completion of sabarimala trip. Its been 3 years since I went to sabarimala, reminded me of great times I have had in this stretch. Thanks.
Old 25th March 2010, 16:21   #13
Senior - BHPian

I love this stretch a lot.... esp from Theni to Kumuli. Greenery all around.

Quote:
Never did I know that I will be doing a lonnnnnng stretch of driving in the next couple of days! But thats for later

Bring it on
Old 25th March 2010, 16:50   #14
BHPian

@luvurride - Excellent pictures and you have brought the nature at its best to us. keep it up buddy.

P.S: some of the pictures in your last post seems to have lost its quality while resizing.

Last edited by ElantraGT : 25th March 2010 at 16:51.
Old 26th March 2010, 02:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful and captivating. I must do a roadtrip to this area and thanks to you for sharing the pics. Great stuff.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks