Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2010, 16:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Excellent photographs & you've put that Sigma 18-200 to good use

Last edited by suman : 25th March 2010 at 16:19.
Old 25th March 2010, 16:24   #17
Team-BHP Support

Pic 6 to 10 - woaah man! They look incredible - they look like paintings!

Dr. Ghosh, how old is this cat? Seems like a young one to me.
Old 25th March 2010, 18:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Picture #: 6 & 11 are excellant. Only if you had composed picture #:6 with the full body of Stripes, it would have been mind blowing.

One helluva lucky bloke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Tiger trailing continues

Eye of the tiger
Attachment 315473

The tiger then goes off into a bush, and my driver, seizing the chance races past the tiger and pulls up in front of him. While crossing him, we were less than 10 feet from the tiger and this is the only time that he snarled at us. I guess tigers don't like being overtaken
There was one jeep ahead of us at this point, and we were the ones directly in front of the tiger. Doesn't get better than this as far as good seats go

icy and I were leaning out over the tailgate of the Gypsy, getting as close to a tiger in the wild that one can get to without getting mauled! Some asked us later how we weren't scared, being face to face with one of nature's deadliest predators, but I guess we were too excited and pumped up to even consider fear!!

Attachment 315479
Is it over now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
awesome... dude! I'm pissin in muh pants just by looking at the "eye of the tiger"!
Old 25th March 2010, 19:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Picture #: 6 & 11 are excellant. Only if you had composed picture #:6 with the full body of Stripes, it would have been mind blowing.
If you mean the 'Eye of the tiger' pic, icy has taken one with the full body. Will request him to post some of his shots on this thread.

Meanwhile, here's a close-up of the same. Observe the scratch marks on his face. He was in a fight with another male not long back. He was also carrying a leg injury, and limped when he walked.
MP, Dec 2009 - the Land of the Tigers-img_3252s_2s.jpg

Last edited by razor4077 : 25th March 2010 at 19:22.
Old 25th March 2010, 19:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Pic taken by icy

MP, Dec 2009 - the Land of the Tigers-img_9364_ics.jpg
Old 25th March 2010, 22:08   #21
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
I don't like to watch these magical creatures behave in such an unnatural way.
Doc in that case you should come down to AP and spend time here. There are guys in the forest dept who for the past 15 years have worked the forests and never seen the big cat. It remains very elusive. And yet there is ample evidence by way of pug marks and scat to vouch for its presence.

Forget Tigers even herbivores stay hidden during the day time here (reason being they are all petrified of being killed). This weekend I was deep inside Srisailam when like ghosts I saw two Nilgai gliding through trees in fading light. It was a most magical moment.

Last edited by DKG : 25th March 2010 at 22:13.
Old 26th March 2010, 00:30   #22
BHPian

wow! You folks were extremely lucky! And excellent pics. Thanks for sharing.
Old 26th March 2010, 11:59   #23
BHPian

Wow, i cant describe how happy I m to see the mighty beast. you are really lucky i hope they continue to grow and all the efforts will be put in to save them.
Old 26th March 2010, 12:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

It looks majestic! I'm sure it was real toast to your eyes!
But how did you managed to click the snap of him walking from the jeeps, that too in such a lower angle?
Old 26th March 2010, 12:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

Pics from Kanha - 6

A few more pics from Kanha. Still haven't processed the lot. Will keep updating this thread as and when I do.

Wild dogs on a very rainy morning. It rained heavily the second day, as a result of which we entered the park late.
MP, Dec 2009 - the Land of the Tigers-img_2278s.jpg

Bambi crossing
MP, Dec 2009 - the Land of the Tigers-img_2300s.jpg

The Hawk eagle - a very majestic bird.
MP, Dec 2009 - the Land of the Tigers-img_2343.jpg

Placid lake reflects the cloudy skies
MP, Dec 2009 - the Land of the Tigers-img_2351s.jpg

Birds in flight. The big guy is the hawk eagle posted above
MP, Dec 2009 - the Land of the Tigers-img_2355s.jpg

Peacocks. Dime a dozen in Kanha, along with monkeys and deer.
MP, Dec 2009 - the Land of the Tigers-img_2422s.jpg

The wise one
MP, Dec 2009 - the Land of the Tigers-img_2440_2s.jpg

Bambi prancing around
MP, Dec 2009 - the Land of the Tigers-img_2444s.jpg

Time for a snack?
Name:  IMG_2456s.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  747.8 KB

Last edited by razor4077 : 26th March 2010 at 12:20.
Old 26th March 2010, 22:36   #26
BHPian

Razor,
Excellent pictures and write up. Your pictures make me feel I'm on that zipsy, worth 5 stars and I just rated this 5*.

Thanks
Old 27th March 2010, 02:45   #27
Icy

Great job Razor on the posts ... while Razor covered our tiger sighting very well, I'd perhaps do a quick wrap of Kanha with some photographs from my end. All photo's taken with a Canon 350D (Rebel XT) with 18-55 kit lens, which kind of explains all my snaps - no wildlife photography with these lens unless you have a tiger in your tracks. Most of the time I was relegated to being the video photographer !

I still remember the 1st evening we reached Kanha and went for a walk on a nature trail on the outskirts of the park, open to tourists on their own. We had been told not to venture too far as it was getting dark, yet as we were on our way back, we saw people motioning us to head back. Only on reaching the hotel, did we hear the reason. Apparently a tigress with a couple of cubs had made a kill of a wild boar within a km of where we were ... was enough to send a shiver down the spine of anyone I guess. Could not help thinking to myself ... so this is what a jungle visit is all about ... the excitement had just begun.

The 1st safari will always remain the most thrilling and exciting ... waking up at 5 am, getting ready and then stepping out in pitch darkness. It's only when the open Gypsy kicks off, does one get hit by the chili winds of mid-December. Strongly recommend a woolen cap which can cover the ears, something I sorely missed.

Some quick details for folks who have not been to Kanha ... each day there are two safari's ... one from 6:30 am till about 11 am ... and another from 3 pm to sundown (do check for exact timings as these change based on the season). You need to pre-book an officially sanctioned Gypsy and get the entry passes done atleast a day before (for the morning ride) and during the day (or in advance) for the afternoon one.

As you enter the park one gypsy at a time and start travelling the better known trails and tracking the jungle calls, one can't help getting captivated by the jungle thrill.

For me, the photo below epitomizes the mystery that a jungle is ...

MP, Dec 2009 - the Land of the Tigers-img_8654.jpg

At around 7 am we were greeted to an amazing sunrise, with the sun breaking through over the tall trees.

MP, Dec 2009 - the Land of the Tigers-img_8648_resized.jpg

We had a fleeting glimpse of a tiger the 1st day but rest of the day past relatively uneventfully, with various animal and bird sightings - gaurs, sambars, barasinghas, the ever present PMD (Peacocks, Monkeys & spotted Deers), Hawk Eagle, Owl and variety of other birds - photos already posted earlier. Evenings in Kanha are pretty much a souvenir shopping, idling in the hotel or "downloading snaps to the laptop" experience.

If day 1 was an incredibly chili day, we woke up on day 2 to the pitter patter of rain. Nothing could set us back though, we started out braving the light drizzle, but soon it got very heavy and after an hour long wait at the gates, we had to return back to the hotel. Was day 2 destined to be a washout ?
Old 27th March 2010, 04:38   #28
BHPian

HI Razor, your Tiger pics are the best once I ever saw with image clarity Razor sharp. A big life-size poster can adorn any house majestically.
In one of the pics it is very disturbing to see so many jeeps lined up with numerous people disturbing the king in it habitat. It was outright wrong for the driver of your gypsy to overtake a tiger. Tigers are known to leep 10ft or more sometimes and this act of driver would have risked everyone's life in open gypsy especially at the mating season time when all animals are in angry/finicky mood and do not like intruders of any sort. Lastly not for you but for general public-Let King be king and not a model for catwalk.
Old 27th March 2010, 08:23   #29
BHPian

well... you had the most memorable 30 mins of your life. We can see tigers in zoo but watching in the wild with no idea about whether we will see or not and just keep rolling your eyes to catch glimpse...man, thats a great feeling... thanks for the pics...

@anandg, you are right that we are disturbing them but atleast by increasing number of tourist, we are able to see them alive... it become like its better to have something than nothing... thats the fate of wildlife and these majestic predators.
Old 27th March 2010, 11:28   #30
J.Ravi

Excellent photographs. It is as if I had gone on tiger safari.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks