Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2010, 17:42   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
How can i miss it. The same was also on Tour Bus. Looked awesome. Felt proud of it.
I think that Gray Line operated tour bus is a real rip off at 55$ covering the Brooklyn loop. Actually if you take the metro trains 1 and 4 you can cover most of Brooklyn and Manhattan.
The only advantage is that they are hop off and hop on types. The night bus aint the same and you cant get off the bus.

On the 2nd day I used the metro and took a 1 day pass for 8$'s and went places at my own pace.

Did you notice Bank of India's office in Park Avenue ?

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 8th April 2010 at 17:43.
Old 8th April 2010, 17:48   #32
Senior - BHPian

Phase 3: Empire State Building (ESB)

After finishing Statue of Liberty, we decided to go to ESB as it was perfect time (5 pm) to catch glimpse of sunset and night view. While arriving at ESB, here is how it looked from outside. Made up of limestone and brick.

PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07733.jpg
PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07734.jpg

Near the entrance we were told wait time of 1 and half hour. We were ok with it and stood in line. On clearing security check, we were further guided to a line formed for elevator where we were told by the security guard that there is 0% visibility. So we decided to drop the idea and visit the next day.

PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07739.jpg
PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07740.jpg
PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07741.jpg

On coming out here is what we were greeted with.
PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07749.jpg
PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07751.jpg
We thought its good that we decided not to go ahead else it would have been waste of time, money and energy.
Old 8th April 2010, 17:50   #33
BHPian

Nice pics..!!

Chevelle, did you get chance to visit Ellis Island which is close to Liberty Island?

I just want to share a piece of information here:

Ellis Island: This is an island which was in service from 1892 - 1954 as US Immigration Station. All the immigrants arrived by ships at NY port must register themselves at this Immigration Center then allowed into Country. This center was closed in 1954 as the new immigration center was opened somewhere else.

Now interesting part is, all the immigrants' details who entered the country during 1892-1954 is available for pubic at: Ellis Island - FREE Port of New York Passenger Records Search
There is a search facility where you can input the last name, first name etc and it will retrieve the records which the actual scan of the page where the port officer hand-written/type-written the details of immigrant during that period and the picture of the ship arrived. P.S.:You need to register for free to use the search facility.

Sorry if I had deviated from the topic.
Old 8th April 2010, 17:50   #34
Senior - BHPian

General Suggestions for ESB

Here are some suggestions for EMPIRE STATE BUILDING

1. Tickets should be bought online to reach elevator line faster. Though tickets can also be purchased at ESB itself, but that's again waste of time, money and energy.

2. The tickets are valid for atleast 6 months or 1 year. You can go anytime unlike Statue of Liberty where you have to be there at given time and date.

3. The last elevator goes up at 1.15 am. The best time to visit in summer is around 10 am to 3 am. We went up the next day at that time and got a clear view of NY and NJ which you shall soon see. If night time lightning interests you, you may go up after 9 pm. The wait time would be less but chances of good visibility are poor.

4. The tickets you buy is for 86th floor observatory access only. You can buy tickets to 102nd floor from 86th floor or ticket window near security check. It cost additional $15 on above of $20 for ticket till 86th floor.

5. Basically from bottom they will drop you off at 80th floor, where another elevator will take you to 86th floor. It has both inside and outside observatory deck. Once done proceed to 102nd floor elevator which is 1250 feet above sea level.

6. Take quarters if you are planning to use the telescope.

7. Last but not the least, have fun from 86th and 102nd floor. The views are stunning and magnificent.
Old 8th April 2010, 17:53   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I think that Gray Line operated tour bus is a real rip off at 55$ covering the Brooklyn loop. Actually if you take the metro trains 1 and 4 you can cover most of Brooklyn and Manhattan.
The only advantage is that they are hop off and hop on types. The night bus aint the same and you cant get off the bus.

On the 2nd day I used the metro and took a 1 day pass for 8$'s and went places at my own pace.

Did you notice Bank of India's office in Park Avenue ?
Yes, the tour bus are always a rip off anywhere you go. Its the same in DC, NY, LA, LV, SF.

Every time we visited NY, we traveled in Subway and PATH. There is metro card which we filled for $20 which gave us access to all this places so we can come and go anytime we want. We took PATH from NJ to 33rd street which is right in front of Empire State Building, that is near the Macy's Store. From there its a 2 min walk to ESB and 10 mins walk to Times Square.

And sorry sir, i didn't see the BOI office. Didn't knew it was there, else would have gone. May be next year

Last edited by chevelle : 8th April 2010 at 17:55.
Old 8th April 2010, 19:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idlebrain View Post
Nice pics..!!

Chevelle, did you get chance to visit Ellis Island which is close to Liberty Island?
We decided to skip Ellis Island as it had nothing but Immigration Museum which seemed boring to us. As such it was getting late and we had next destination ESB in our minds.

Thanks for the details.
Old 8th April 2010, 19:59   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idlebrain View Post

Now interesting part is, all the immigrants' details who entered the country during 1892-1954 is available for pubic at: Ellis Island - FREE Port of New York Passenger Records Search
There is a search facility where you can input the last name, first name etc and it will retrieve the records which the actual scan of the page where the port officer hand-written/type-written the details of immigrant during that period and the picture of the ship arrived. P.S.:You need to register for free to use the search facility.

Sorry if I had deviated from the topic.
and you can see how to use it to "patao" a girl in the movie "Hitch"

@chevelle, NYC subway one day pass used to be 7$ I think. it's 20 now?
Old 9th April 2010, 01:01   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
and you can see how to use it to "patao" a girl in the movie "Hitch"

@chevelle, NYC subway one day pass used to be 7$ I think. it's 20 now?
No no, may be i didn't explain properly. This metro card is good for PATH and subway both. You fill in $20 value in card and whenever you pass you just swipe it. It is like $2.25 for one way. So for us that was a good deal as in $20 we 5 friends could go and come whenever we want. Worked out cheaper than $7 pass
Old 9th April 2010, 08:13   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We decided to skip Ellis Island as it had nothing but Immigration Museum which seemed boring to us.
Man, you missed something I would say. If given a chance, I would go to Ellis island once again & forgo statue of liberty or Empire state building. What fascinated me was the old pics of how the Europeans crossed the atlantic & entered into the new found land & how they'd to spend 2-3 days!!!, yes 2-3 days in this immigration centre & finally obtained permit to get into the land. Also you've to see the pathetic condition of how some of them looked like. If you don't consider hijacking your thread, give me sometime, I'll have to scan those pics & post it here.
Old 9th April 2010, 11:39   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Man, you missed something I would say. If given a chance, I would go to Ellis island once again & forgo statue of liberty or Empire state building. What fascinated me was the old pics of how the Europeans crossed the atlantic & entered into the new found land & how they'd to spend 2-3 days!!!, yes 2-3 days in this immigration centre & finally obtained permit to get into the land. Also you've to see the pathetic condition of how some of them looked like. If you don't consider hijacking your thread, give me sometime, I'll have to scan those pics & post it here.
Nothing is lost here, I will be going back next year or so, will visit then. As i said, there are plenty of things which i have skipped, so next visit is duly awaited

And do take time to scan the pics and post it, it would be a pleasure for all members to view something which i am not able to share.
Old 9th April 2010, 12:19   #41
Senior - BHPian

P.S: For better viewing, please click on the image. If anybody wants the full size version of any pic do let me know. Would be happy to provide one.

Empire State Building

Views from 86th Floor
PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07784.jpg
PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07786.jpg
PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07789.jpg

can somebody please help me with the name of this building shown below. Its a very famous architecture and i love it.

PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07793.jpg
PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07795.jpg
PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07796.jpg

The below pic shows Manhattan Skyline to the right, Brooklyn Bridge to the left, Washington Bridge to far left.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07796.JPG
Views:	536
Size:	374.4 KB
ID:	325728

Some miscellaneous building.
PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07797.jpg

NJ and NY
PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07799.jpg

Below pic shows Brooklyn Bridge to the left, Manhattan Skyline, The bridge connecting NJ and Staten Island behind the Skyline, Statue of Liberty to the right, Ellis Island to the right of Liberty island and Jersey City skyline to the right of the Ellis Island.
PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07805.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07794.jpg  

Last edited by chevelle : 9th April 2010 at 12:24.
Old 9th April 2010, 12:28   #42
Senior - BHPian

ESB continued

A restaurant on top of a building
PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07806.jpg

Manhattan Skyline.
PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07807.jpg

Statue of Liberty. You can see the cruise that is going from NJ side.
PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07808.jpg

Bridge that connects Staten Island with NJ
PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07809.jpg

No idea about the building name, but loved the Gold. Calling Native Yorkers to identify
PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07812.jpg

Straight down, this is how it looks like from 86th floor
PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07824.jpg

NYPD came visiting us. The sheriff from inside was waving at us. I have the video. Will upload soon.
PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07839.jpg
PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07840.jpg
PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07843.jpg

The time when we went there on a nearby tower
PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07845.jpg
Old 9th April 2010, 13:06   #43
Senior - BHPian

Man, where's the IBM tower from the famous movie Spiderman?
Old 9th April 2010, 13:26   #44
Senior - BHPian

ESB continued

Love this five buildings
PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07846.jpg

Macy's World Largest Store.

Starts at bottom right where there is a Red Advt board, ends near the 2nd zebra crossing just after the Vertical Macy's board.
In that same row, at the end, near the water front is black glass building shown as small pyramid shape. That's the place where New York Auto Show is held every year.

PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07854.jpg

To the left of MetLife building is Times Square hidden by tall skyscrapers

PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07862.jpg

Twin Towers whose name i don't know

PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07863.jpg

Stevens Institute of Technology, NJ

PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07864.jpg

The GE building in front of Central Park, IBM Tower to the right - black in color

PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07881.jpg

The Chrysler Building

PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07895.jpg

Pigeon came visiting

PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07896.jpg

Look at the number of windows in entire pic. Too many to count.

PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07899.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
PhOtoLoG - New York-dsc07882.jpg  

Old 9th April 2010, 13:51   #45
BHPian

Quote:
can somebody please help me with the name of this building shown below. Its a very famous architecture and i love it.

Attachment 325725
Attachment 325727
Attachment 325728
The triangular building is the Flatiron Building in Manhattan.

Last edited by f1fan : 9th April 2010 at 13:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks