Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2010, 12:34   #1
BHPian

My first long trip - Coorg - Scotland of India

A long trip was on the card since the day we bought our first car. In fact, long trips was the sole purpose of going for a car. As 2nd April was holiday for both me and wifey, we had to go to some place because this was going to be the last holiday till late August. Planning started 3 weeks back as I called up friends to make up some plans. Everybody dropped out of the plan because of scorching heat everywhere. Finally it was only me and wifey who were desperate to drive somewhere. We zeroed down on Coorg as we hadn't been there even after been in Bangalore for 5 years now.

Checked all the travelogues posted here on Team-BHP, got the route information, places to visit etc. Now we had to book some accommodation. We wanted to stay in some home-stay away from the City and close to nature. A colleague of mine had very good opinion about Berry-lane home-stay located in Ammathi Town. Called up the owner of this home-stay and booked a room.

Some details about the trip before we start -

Car: Ritz ZXi
No of People: 2 (me and wifey)
Distance Covered: 789 KMs
Petrol Consumed: 42.65 Litres
Mileage: 18.5 KMPL
Route: Bangalore (Whitefield - Corporation - Mysore Road) - Mandya - Srirangapatna - Hunsur - Gonikappal - Virajpet - Ammathi Town - Dubare - Talcauvery - Madikeri - Ammathi Town - Kushalnagar - Hunsur - Mysore Ring Road - NICE Road - Bangalore (Bannerghatta Road - Outer Ring Road - Whitefield)

Not so great teaser photo to start with -

To be contd...
Old 10th April 2010, 12:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hope you continue soon enough! Would be interesting to know what the weather is like. Should be hot but then visually should be pleasant.
Old 10th April 2010, 13:04   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Hope you continue soon enough! Would be interesting to know what the weather is like. Should be hot but then visually should be pleasant.
Days were hot and nights cool. It rained on 2nd day of our trip so weather became much more pleasant after that.
Old 10th April 2010, 13:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Gandhiji, waiting for the pics! You were lucky as it rained when you were there. Reminds me of Kannada movie Mungaru Male!

Teaser pic is good, but why blur the sides?!
Old 10th April 2010, 13:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nice beginning, waiting to read and see more...
Old 11th April 2010, 11:06   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Gandhiji, waiting for the pics! You were lucky as it rained when you were there. Reminds me of Kannada movie Mungaru Male!

Teaser pic is good, but why blur the sides?!
Yes we were. Otherwise it was really hot in Coorg this time. I thought blurring was good. I'll post the non-blurred version for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Nice beginning, waiting to read and see more...
Actually I am on abroad travel right now, couldn't finish (rather start) the log before leaving. Apologies.
Old 11th April 2010, 11:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Not hot at all except 11-3:30 - and if you learn from the birds, thats a good time to chill, read a book, catch up on sleep, play cards. The breeze, if you're not moving around, is still cool. And there's been quite a few showers over the last week. The mornings air actually has a bit of nip in it, with the odd morning being totally misty.

Coorg is more rainforests than a hillstation. That keeps it green, pleasant and a little humid. And, at least as compared to what we're experiencing in Bangalore right now, its way more pleasant!
Old 11th April 2010, 15:41   #8
BHPian

pics and report once you are back.

Last edited by skartik2 : 11th April 2010 at 15:42.
Old 12th April 2010, 11:00   #9
BHPian

Waiting to see the pictures.
Old 12th April 2010, 11:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Not hot at all except 11-3:30 - and if you learn from the birds, thats a good time to chill, read a book, catch up on sleep, play cards. The breeze, if you're not moving around, is still cool. And there's been quite a few showers over the last week. The mornings air actually has a bit of nip in it, with the odd morning being totally misty.

Coorg is more rainforests than a hillstation. That keeps it green, pleasant and a little humid. And, at least as compared to what we're experiencing in Bangalore right now, its way more pleasant!
My friend, Bengaluru is still cool during nights and morning. The breeze if there is one is always cool irrespective of the time. Its just that man made structures absorb the heat and stay warm even at nights.

I have a friend of mine who has built his house with granite stones and reflective tiles on the roof and good amount of greenery. It stays so cool that you dont even need a fan most of the time.
Old 12th April 2010, 13:06   #11
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Kodagu is one of my favourite place in Karnataka. I always felt that Kodagu during monsoons was probably the second most beautiful place in India after Kashmir.
Roll it out Gandhi.
Old 12th April 2010, 22:05   #12
BHPian

Hey! last September we also stayed in Berry Lane. And your post just reminded me of the delicious food we had there - specially the parathas with the succulent mutton curry in lunch - ummm! I still remember the taste.
Old 13th April 2010, 05:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Kodagu is one of my favourite place in Karnataka. I always felt that Kodagu during monsoons was probably the second most beautiful place in India after Kashmir.
Oh!!! ok, so I'm going to your favourite place this weekend ; provide me (or PM) some tips on places to visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Roll it out Gandhi.
I hope he (Gandhi) finishes before I could start off to take more tips
Old 13th April 2010, 06:22   #14
Team-BHP Support

In a broad manner, there are two ways to do that. One you stay in Madeikeri and go around the places and on your return cover Virajpet, Kakkabe etc. in South Madekeri.

Or Secondly you stay in a homestay in South Madekeri for three four days and cover Madekeri (Raja's Seat, Abby falls, Talacauvery etc) in a day and come back to your homestay.
Old 13th April 2010, 08:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Ampere, what's there in Virajpet, Kakkabe? And throw some light on South Madikeri's distance with respect to local attractions. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks