Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2010, 12:45   #31
Senior - BHPian

Day 2- drive to Yercaud

We planned to get up early by 5 in the morning and leave by maximum 6 O' clock, but being passionate sleepers, we extended after sleeping time to another 1 hour and adjusted the alarm at 5 in the morning , got up by 6 finally( had serious thought of dropping the yercaud drive, in favor of sleep), freshened up. Had a light breakfast and started by around 7 in the morning. Went to koramangala to pick up a friend, and then by around 7:30 a.m we were on Hosur road.
A little ahead filled in petrol from a shady looking IOC pump for Rs.500/-.
(here I must say, after around 590 kms of drive, the fuel gauge still showed a little less than quarter tank of fuel left, got approximately 16.5 kmpl from hyd to blr at full a/c.)

After filling up that tank, started and reached BETL(so much have been talked about it. Here is a snap we took.
Hyderabad-Bangalore-Yercaud and Back- 1675 kms of pure Josh!!!-img_2437.jpg

Hyderabad-Bangalore-Yercaud and Back- 1675 kms of pure Josh!!!-img_2438.jpg

View from the Tollway.
Hyderabad-Bangalore-Yercaud and Back- 1675 kms of pure Josh!!!-img_2439.jpg
Here I would like to relate a funny incident. After crossing the BETL , we approached the toll booth. I heard that the toll collection has started from 1st april onwards. I work for one of the company that built this Tollway, I happily told the toll booth guy, I am an **** employee, but I was not carrying my ID card, luckily my wife had my visiting card with her and she showed it to the toll guy, we were let off free.
We were so happy that we saved the toll. Wife and her friend got too happy with this. I was also like wow!!
Same thing happened when we returned, we wer not even stopped at toll booth and they just let us pass.
But happiness of working for this company thus saving on toll was shortlived when I returned to office and saw a mail that the toll collection will only start from 7th april onwards

Anyways, let's continue with the story now.

After crossing BETL we were doing good speeds and must say compliment the roads this side, this side of NH7 is a complete belter. Amazing roads. After driving for a while, all of us started feeling hungry and little ahead we stopped at Kamat Upahar(or Upachar!!??) at the Reliance Bunk. Saw many cars parked there. So many families were driving that day to Yercaud it seemed.Saw stares from people for coming out of a AP registered car. Most car were KA registered and one or two from TN.
Had a decent breakfast of idlis and dosa and glass full of tea. Would have stopped for maximum 30 minutes.
Hit the road again and I was enjoying the drive on this road. Here are some snaps.
Hyderabad-Bangalore-Yercaud and Back- 1675 kms of pure Josh!!!-img_2440.jpg

Hyderabad-Bangalore-Yercaud and Back- 1675 kms of pure Josh!!!-img_2441.jpg

Attachment 331302

Attachment 331303

Hyderabad-Bangalore-Yercaud and Back- 1675 kms of pure Josh!!!-img_2444.jpg

Attachment 331305

Attachment 331306

I was having good fun with a Skoda, another Ikon and a Delhi registered red Zen. The roads were so inviting, but then suddenly at a curve came a speedbreaker. That curve possibly has seen many a trucks tumbling at high speed. Saw a truck resting on the side rails, possibly a steep left and then a immediate right on the curve took it's toll. This was near Thoppur. There were few more speed breakers to negotiate after that. That accident scene possibly explains those speed breakers on the road.

We crossed Thoppur, and the scenery around became even more beautiful.
Hyderabad-Bangalore-Yercaud and Back- 1675 kms of pure Josh!!!-img_2447.jpg

Hyderabad-Bangalore-Yercaud and Back- 1675 kms of pure Josh!!!-img_2448.jpg

Hyderabad-Bangalore-Yercaud and Back- 1675 kms of pure Josh!!!-img_2449.jpg

Hyderabad-Bangalore-Yercaud and Back- 1675 kms of pure Josh!!!-img_2450.jpg

Hyderabad-Bangalore-Yercaud and Back- 1675 kms of pure Josh!!!-img_2452-copy.jpg

Attachment 331328

Hyderabad-Bangalore-Yercaud and Back- 1675 kms of pure Josh!!!-img_2454.jpg

Hyderabad-Bangalore-Yercaud and Back- 1675 kms of pure Josh!!!-img_2456.jpg

Attachment 331331

Last edited by Dippy : 19th April 2010 at 09:16. Reason: Removing blank pics.
Old 17th April 2010, 13:25   #32
Team-BHP Support

Why did you have to go to a Shady bunk?
There are many good bunks on your way.
In fact to begin with I have seen a company owned HP right in CV Raman Nagar itself.
And I think at it should have been open at seven.
Old 19th April 2010, 16:46   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Why did you have to go to a Shady bunk?
There are many good bunks on your way.
In fact to begin with I have seen a company owned HP right in CV Raman Nagar itself.
And I think at it should have been open at seven.
Probably the fuel was ok and it was not all that shady. The HP pump is onto the right when you exit CV Raman Nagar, I had to go left. So thought that I will fuel up later, and around a quarter tank of petrol was stil left. But after a while I got a little worried and decided to tank up a bit , till I get a better pump.
Old 20th April 2010, 15:06   #34
Senior - BHPian

...continued

We kept going straight on NH 7 and here we are at Salem. I was like , we have come so far from hyderabad.Went inside the Salem city and saw a left turn marked to Yercaud. Took the left turn, kept going straight and then we saw no markings for Yercaud. Asked a pedestrian for direction and was surprised that he guided us in Hindi.Followed the direction , went a little ahead and then there was protest that I didn't stop at the Nariyal paani shop. So had to stop at the nest one.Stopped under the shade of a tree and had the soothing tender coconut water.Proceeded after a brief 10 minutes stop and then we saw a board marked "Ghat Roads start for Yercaud".
We crossed BETL and 7:20 a.m in the morning , and by 11:05 a.m we were already climbing up the ghats of Yercaud.Paid the 15 bucks toll and proceeded.
Some pics of the drive on the Yercaud Ghats.

Hyderabad-Bangalore-Yercaud and Back- 1675 kms of pure Josh!!!-img_2459.jpg

The terrain was quite dry at the bottom but as we were ascending , it became greener.

Hyderabad-Bangalore-Yercaud and Back- 1675 kms of pure Josh!!!-img_2461.jpg

Hyderabad-Bangalore-Yercaud and Back- 1675 kms of pure Josh!!!-img_2462.jpg

Hyderabad-Bangalore-Yercaud and Back- 1675 kms of pure Josh!!!-img_2463.jpg

More greenery

Hyderabad-Bangalore-Yercaud and Back- 1675 kms of pure Josh!!!-img_2465.jpg

for people of Salem, it must be like a walk in the park, saw many couples and families driving up to Yercaud on their two-wheelers.
Hyderabad-Bangalore-Yercaud and Back- 1675 kms of pure Josh!!!-img_2466.jpg

Some more snaps

Hyderabad-Bangalore-Yercaud and Back- 1675 kms of pure Josh!!!-img_2469.jpg

The roads were narrow and some curves were real blind, but the road surface was good overall. The climb was also steep and to add more trouble for the car, the A/c was on all the time. Mostly pulled up in 2nd gear but at some climb had to engage the first gear.

Hyderabad-Bangalore-Yercaud and Back- 1675 kms of pure Josh!!!-img_2471.jpg

Hyderabad-Bangalore-Yercaud and Back- 1675 kms of pure Josh!!!-img_2472.jpg

Hyderabad-Bangalore-Yercaud and Back- 1675 kms of pure Josh!!!-img_2473.jpg

Hyderabad-Bangalore-Yercaud and Back- 1675 kms of pure Josh!!!-img_2474.jpg

I know, I know, I look all serious, but am not, just concentrating on the road
Hyderabad-Bangalore-Yercaud and Back- 1675 kms of pure Josh!!!-img_2477.jpg

The greenery all the way up was even more enchanting. It felt so nice to be among the greens.
Hyderabad-Bangalore-Yercaud and Back- 1675 kms of pure Josh!!!-img_2478.jpg

By 11:40 we were already in yercaud.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st April 2010 at 10:47. Reason: Blank pictures removed. Never seen a problem like this before!
Old 20th April 2010, 15:40   #35
Team-BHP Support

Hey Ford! Again the last few snaps are blank again.
Yes even I have seen many folks from Salem drive in two wheeler !
Old 20th April 2010, 16:44   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Hey Ford! Again the last few snaps are blank again.
Yes even I have seen many folks from Salem drive in two wheeler !
Don't know why the snaps are blank again, I even edited and removed the snaps which showed blank. But doesn't seem to work.
When we were coming down the next day, we faced heavy traffic of two-wheelers who were driving up. Probably they were going for lunch and would have been back by evening.
Old 20th April 2010, 17:55   #37
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Was there a power cut in Yercaud when you reached there?
Old 20th April 2010, 20:49   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Was there a power cut in Yercaud when you reached there?
MX6, this was real good
Have reported the post to mods to delete those blank pictures. Don't know why this is happening.
BTW when are you starting with your TWO travelogues.
Old 20th April 2010, 22:28   #39
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
MX6, this was real good
Have reported the post to mods to delete those blank pictures. Don't know why this is happening.
BTW when are you starting with your TWO travelogues.
One's started off. Damn busy off late. going real mad. I've decided not to drive out anywhere till 1st May! (except for local pune tapri meets of course).
The other one will start off tomorrow.
Old 21st April 2010, 05:45   #40
BHPian

Hi Fordmanchau
Nice to go through your travelogue on a route which I have travelled 4 times last year on my way from Hyderabad to Kerala and back(except for the Yercaud section). Cold you include information on what you saw at Yercaud - also known as Smart Man's Ooty. Your beautiful pictures of the drive up the ghat section have already motivated me to make the detour on my next trip planned in May.
Old 21st April 2010, 10:54   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainthreat View Post
Hi Fordmanchau
Nice to go through your travelogue on a route which I have travelled 4 times last year on my way from Hyderabad to Kerala and back(except for the Yercaud section). Cold you include information on what you saw at Yercaud - also known as Smart Man's Ooty. Your beautiful pictures of the drive up the ghat section have already motivated me to make the detour on my next trip planned in May.
Sure "Rainthreat", will include all the information on what to see. Next time please do take a detour and go to Yercaud. It's a nice place for a quick getaway.
One question : Why this strange handle? What threat you have from Rains??
Old 21st April 2010, 13:33   #42
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guess he hates cricket and beach holidays.
Old 21st April 2010, 17:41   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice pictures of the ghat section enroute to Yercaud. Btw,did you try the yellow small bananas so famous in TN?

Its sweet and very small in length and you get the same at Tirupathi too as its closer to TN border.
Old 21st April 2010, 20:15   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for asking!! It just happened one day when I was racking my brains for a new user id for my yahoomail account sitting in front of TV and saw the scrolling ticker announcing " Rainthreat over tomorrows match between X & Y" Thought the word has a nice ring to it and intriguing to boot and presto I had a new moniker on yahoo. Guess I am the only human rainthreat but being a Malayali I love rains, beaches and cricket ( not necessarily in the same order )
Old 21st April 2010, 23:32   #45
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainthreat View Post
Thanks for asking!! It just happened one day when I was racking my brains for a new user id for my yahoomail account sitting in front of TV and saw the scrolling ticker announcing " Rainthreat over tomorrows match between X & Y" Thought the word has a nice ring to it and intriguing to boot and presto I had a new moniker on yahoo. Guess I am the only human rainthreat but being a Malayali I love rains, beaches and cricket ( not necessarily in the same order )
Just like Mrs. Doubtfire! Welcome to the rain lovers club.

Most Viewed