Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2010, 23:29   #31
BHPian

Excellent log of your trip. The sudden fog is really something one would want to experience in person.
Old 19th April 2010, 23:47   #32
BANNED

Hey,

I must agree the trek looks damn cool to attempt. Loved the pictures lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post

Tiger scat
Attachment 330585
Did you really had to take a picture of this?

What if it was not a Tiger's Scat

Also, could you mention a few details too?
Things to carry:
How to contact the guide including his 'Pay package':
Duration of trek:

Would be helpful in case I plan to go, which looks very positive seeing the pictures.

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 20th April 2010 at 00:00.
Old 20th April 2010, 00:06   #33
Team-BHP Support

Yeah, how do you know that a tiger did it? It could be the handiwork of a fat trekker who was there before you.
Old 20th April 2010, 00:16   #34
MX6
Senior - BHPian

5 star from my side Addy. That chinese device is a must buy. Can you get me some info where I can grab one? And great trek you had under extreme conditions. Man. you guys "ROCK".
Old 20th April 2010, 11:34   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Feels like go this place just now ! Very nice snaps.

By the way I have been on the lookout for that all in gadget, which you hold in your hand. Did you get it in Bangalore?
Or its the usual foreign story (US/Chinese) ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
5 star from my side Addy. That chinese device is a must buy. Can you get me some info where I can grab one? And great trek you had under extreme conditions. Man. you guys "ROCK".
Thanks guys! I got the altimeter from an auction on ebay. The listed price was 3k, but I paid 1.5k for it in the auction. After receiving it, I felt it was not even worth 1.5k. The quality was just flimsy. But somehow it did the job. I received it just a day before I left the trek.

Check the link for details on that product
http://cgi.ebay.in/Altimeter-Thermom...item4aa0799cac

And yeah, we were totally 'Rocking' once we reached the peak!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinsid View Post
Excellent log of your trip. The sudden fog is really something one would want to experience in person.
It sure is. It was suddenly spooky seeing so many dark clouds within just a few seconds. We thought it would rain, but luckily it did not. We did not carry any rain protection gear like rain coats or a tent. If it had rained, we would have been miserable. The only place where we could taken shelter was an hour's descent on the route which we came up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Hey,

I must agree the trek looks damn cool to attempt. Loved the pictures lately.

Also, could you mention a few details too?
Things to carry:
How to contact the guide including his 'Pay package':
Duration of trek:

Would be helpful in case I plan to go, which looks very positive seeing the pictures.
Things to carry:will put it in my next post

In case you want the guides no: Pls PM me. He charges Rs.300 per day.

Duration: depends on the fitness levels. I am by no means, a very fit person, but we started at 9 am exactly and reached the campsite at 3.30 IIRC. We took numerous breaks in between. The guide said the distance one way was around 9kms. He said this distance was told to him by a group of trekkers who had a GPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Did you really had to take a picture of this?

What if it was not a Tiger's Scat
What is the next best thing after sighting a tiger in the wild?

Ans: Sighting it's scat. It is ample proof that I walked the road a tiger had once walked even if it was its toilet that I was walking upon

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Yeah, how do you know that a tiger did it? It could be the handiwork of a fat trekker who was there before you.
Actually, I did not believe that it was a tiger scat at first glance. But upon closer observation and dissection (not with our hands FYI ), my friend & the guide told me that it was indeed tiger scat. My friend had been to the Tiger census held in Bandipur in January this year and he had been trained in identifying scat of different animals.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 20th April 2010 at 11:40. Reason: typo
Old 20th April 2010, 12:58   #36
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I will see where I can get that altimeter cheaper. It's a must have as it showed clouds and things like that! I love such equipment. Compass+altimeter+barometer+thermometer+sphygomoma nometer+ammeter+auto meter... Any meter, I dig in!
Anyway, my slr comes with an inbuilt light meter.

MODS: Why is my 5 star rating now shown on this thread?
Old 20th April 2010, 13:17   #37
Senior - BHPian

Kudos Addyhemmige! Nice travelogue, you covered quite some good amount of information with the aid of beautiful and breath taking photographs.

Any wild guess on the age of Tiger scat? Just out of curiosity to understand how close you guys were to the beast.

Guys, you slept without a tent? I cant believe it!

Last edited by jacs : 20th April 2010 at 13:18.
Old 20th April 2010, 14:31   #38
Team-BHP Support

By the way Addy, I sent that post about that instrument, I googled and saw the price on ebay. But what I am surprised is that, I never such instruments in the market. They are rare. Even in Amazon, I could not find many !
Old 20th April 2010, 15:08   #39
Senior - BHPian

addyhemmige, this is easily one of the best travelogues I have come across in TBHP...the route highlighted by the red mark explains the effort it requires..definitely as mentioned in the first part of your signature.."There are somethings money can't buy'
Old 20th April 2010, 15:56   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I will see where I can get that altimeter cheaper. It's a must have as it showed clouds and things like that! I love such equipment. Compass+altimeter+barometer+thermometer+sphygomoma nometer+ammeter+auto meter... Any meter, I dig in!
Anyway, my slr comes with an inbuilt light meter.
Actually, I wanted to buy a GPS receiver. I guess that has all the required 'meters' in it. But it was way too expensive. A basic version costs 8k (as seen on ebay) and that is way over my budget. So, I guess I'll have to stick to maps now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Kudos Addyhemmige! Nice travelogue, you covered quite some good amount of information with the aid of beautiful and breath taking photographs.

Any wild guess on the age of Tiger scat? Just out of curiosity to understand how close you guys were to the beast.

Guys, you slept without a tent? I cant believe it!
Thanks jacs,

My friend said the scat could be as old as 15 days (not sure though), but easily older than a week.

We did consider taking a tent, but then in this kind of weather, you never need one. It would be just an extra weight. Luckily no snake wanted to keep us company by the heat of the fire. We had sleeping bags though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
By the way Addy, I sent that post about that instrument, I googled and saw the price on ebay. But what I am surprised is that, I never such instruments in the market. They are rare. Even in Amazon, I could not find many !
I tried to check in major stores like landmark for cheaper versions of the altimeter. But they did not have it. Checked on ebay a couple of times, but it was expensive. A week before the trek, this altimeter was put up for auction at half the listed price. I bid exactly 1.5k and nobody else outbid me

These type of devices are generally used by adventurers only, hence limited visibility in the market. I guess if we check in National Market here in Bangalore, we might find a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
addyhemmige, this is easily one of the best travelogues I have come across in TBHP...the route highlighted by the red mark explains the effort it requires..definitely as mentioned in the first part of your signature.."There are somethings money can't buy'
You said it Surprise.Thanks a lot

Last edited by addyhemmige : 20th April 2010 at 16:01.
Old 20th April 2010, 16:00   #41
BHPian

Excellent travelogue. Really enjoyed going through it. I too enjoy trekking, but now friends are no more game for it.
Old 20th April 2010, 16:26   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
My friend said the scat could be as old as 15 days (not sure though), but easily older than a week.

We did consider taking a tent, but then in this kind of weather, you never need one. It would be just an extra weight. Luckily no snake wanted to keep us company by the heat of the fire. We had sleeping bags though.
Having said that a tiger passed nearby a week or two before, can't imagine you slept peacefully in a forest mount without any basic safety gears.

You guys had a sound sleep?

When we stayed in a resort in Masinagudi, I could hardly sleep becase of the sounds from forest .
Old 20th April 2010, 16:30   #43
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Addy/ SmartCAT. Guess we should plan on a trek. If we can come with an epic like this, I'd love to drive down from Pune to be a part of it. But I prefer the monsoon times.
Old 20th April 2010, 16:34   #44
Senior - BHPian

Hi Addy,

I have been following this thread since you started it, but never posted.

i must confess, after my NCC days during my 8th-10th class, i have never been on a trek, i realized that i have lost some great opportunities all these years.

i intend to re-start some day soon.
Old 20th April 2010, 16:37   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
Excellent travelogue. Really enjoyed going through it. I too enjoy trekking, but now friends are no more game for it.
Thanks Hemanth, It was quite a while before I found a friend who loved trekking. All the others think I'm crazy. My policy is 'Do it while you can'. So, I try to go trekking whenever I find time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Having said that a tiger passed nearby a week or two before, can't imagine you slept peacefully in a forest mount without any basic safety gears.

You guys had a sound sleep?

When we stayed in a resort in Masinagudi, I could hardly sleep becase of the sounds from forest .
Actually, I would have been happy to come face to face with a tiger, but then where are they?

We did not exactly have a sound sleep, but it was more due to the place where we were sleeping. We were sleeping horizontally on a slope.

The sounds of the forest are just lovely. I feel you should experience it without any fear. Anyway, we had a fire running all night just in case we had unwelcome visitors.

@Star: Thanks a lot. I'm sure you will not regret it if you re-start

@MX6/Smartcat: Why not? We can plan a good one when everybody is free. Monsoon is a lovely time actually.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 20th April 2010 at 16:49.

Most Viewed