Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2010, 01:16   #1
BHPian

Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue

The outing to Kabini JLR was in the mind from the past six months. JLR's website mentioned summer is the best time to visit Kabini JLR. My son's school closed for the summer vacation during March last week. April 2nd was a holiday and so it was decided that we go on 2nd. When I called JLR office located in Shrungar complex on MG Road, I was told that all the
accomodations are full and only a cottage was available on April 1st. So be it and it was decided that we go on 1st. I went to the office and booked the cottage for April 1st. The checkin time was 12 noon and checkout was at 11 am the next day. When enquired about the route in the booking office, I was shown the one that was on the back of the brouchure which did not provide much information.

This was my first trip beyond 200kms and was bit concerned how I would drive. Thanks to the TBHPians - I was able to get the right route details after going through various posts and replies. Samurai's travelogue
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-waters-4.html was helpful.

I started early in the morning at 5:30 am and took the flyover over KR market instead of Vijaynagar. The first stop was at Indradhanush near Maddur at 7:15 am. I liked the place better than the Kamat's for there was no crowd and could enjoy the freshly prepared Idlies and Vadas listening to the devotional songs played by the restaurant. The drive till Mysore was good, as usual. Thereafter I followed the directions provided by sanju.iitm all the way till Nagarahole forest gate. The forest gates are closed and had to take a left detour till the JLR. The roads are not good from there onwards for about 12 kms but my Alto could make it without any problems. Reached the JLR at 12 noon. The staff at the JLR gave the orientation and the program schedule for both the days of our stay.

After a nice lunch we were asked to meet at the Gholghar for the Safari. My kid played in the river for about half an hour. Being hot we had to return back to the cottage. Precisely at 4pm, the guides took us for the Safari in the forest. The forest was dry as it could possibly be. Having seen lush green Kudremukh forests during rainy seasons, this was a disappointment but not unexpected. The animals/birds that we could spot were elephants, deers, wild boars, monkeys, gaurs, giant squirrel and a peacock. Felt that Mysore zoo is more educative to kids than the safari but then seeing the wildlife in the open is yet another experience.

JLR had a documentary show in the evening based on the Nagarahole forest. The short film covers the aspects of the wildlife, the threats to the wildlife from humans as well as nature's elements, forest fires, deforestation and human cruelty towards animals. The short film has been well made, the music and emotions well captured. It makes one feel sad. The one thing that I liked most during the stay was this film.

The next day morning, again precisely at 6:45, we were taken for a boat ride across river Kabini. Some opted for the safari and coracle ride. Again we spotted the elephants and deer herd apart from crocodiles. Except for spotting 4 or 5 species of birds, not much to be seen during the ride. Felt that the guides were more enthusiastic than the rest of us, both during the safari and boat ride.

After returning back, we had breakfast. The kid played around the resort till 11:30. Left the resort and reached Bangalore at 5 in the evening. The drive was really tiring because of heat despite the AC on all the way till Bangalore. The car gave a mileage of 20 kmpl at around 80 kmph. Total distance covered was 470 kms.

Personally I felt that the stay and the schedules were bit cramped with not much wildlife sighting. Probably accustomed more to the Malnad forests, I felt JLR was a disappointement during summer. My kid and wife enjoyed the stay though. Probably the Amazon jungles might excite me. I am watching too much of National Geographic...

While returning back just as the jeep passed, an elephant appeared and started crossing the road behind us. As the jeep stopped, the pachyderm hesitated, took a detour around a tree, watched the beings on the jeep and crossed to the other side of the road. Watching it standing and waiting was a sight to behold. I remembered the way the elephant moved away from us when I watched the film in the evening.

The heat had taken its toll on the frogs in the river. One can see a lot of dead frogs on the river bank.

To avoid roadkills, the gates have been closed in the national park we were told. Trucks moving across the state borders have killed animals and it was also the reason for not keeping the roads in good condition. Made sense.

Some of the snaps taken at the JLR...
Attached Thumbnails
Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue-img_0816.jpg  

Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue-img_0821.jpg  

Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue-img_0822.jpg  

Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue-img_0824.jpg  

Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue-img_0825.jpg  

Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue-img_0830.jpg  

Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue-img_0832.jpg  

Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue-img_0834.jpg  

Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue-img_0835.jpg  

Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue-img_0836.jpg  

Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue-img_0839.jpg  

Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue-img_0842.jpg  

Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue-img_0843.jpg  

Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue-img_0844.jpg  

Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue-img_0845.jpg  

Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue-img_0846.jpg  

Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue-img_0847.jpg  

Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue-img_0848.jpg  

Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue-img_0850.jpg  

Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue-img_0852.jpg  

Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue-img_0853.jpg  

Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue-img_0854.jpg  

Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue-img_0855.jpg  

Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue-img_0857.jpg  

Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue-img_0858.jpg  

Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue-img_0859.jpg  

Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue-img_0864.jpg  

Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue-img_0869.jpg  

Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue-img_0871.jpg  

Yet another Kabini JLR travelogue-img_0874.jpg  

AltoLXI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2010, 10:28   #2
Team-BHP Support

Very nice TL Alto. Looks like you spotted many a wildlife!
Esp the croc looks majestic resting near the water?

Nice camera with a good zoom ?

Because of Kamat, mostly indradhanush is empty.
Slowly the place is gaining prominence because of good food and also a CCD in the same campus!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2010, 10:42   #3
Team-BHP Support

Those who are outside Karnataka might look at this travelogue and wonder what Jaguar LandRover (JLR) has got to do with this Kabini trip
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2010, 10:46   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Very nice TL Alto. Looks like you spotted many a wildlife!
Esp the croc looks majestic resting near the water?

Nice camera with a good zoom ?

Because of Kamat, mostly indradhanush is empty.
Slowly the place is gaining prominence because of good food and also a CCD in the same campus!
Thanks Ampere. All the pictures were taken with Canon Powershot A710 IS which has a 6X zoom.
Old 17th April 2010, 10:52   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Those who are outside Karnataka might look at this travelogue and wonder what Jaguar LandRover (JLR) has got to do with this Kabini trip
That's right. JLR stands for Jungle Lodges and Resorts which is a unit of Karnataka Government's tourism department. They have the website and the URL is Jungle Lodges & Resorts Eco Holidays.
Old 17th April 2010, 11:10   #6
J.Ravi

Nice photographs, AltoLXI.

Old 19th April 2010, 15:12   #7
BHPian

Thanks for sharing your exp and photos. I suggest you to visit this place sometime in October then you can see thick green forest. However spotting wildcats will be bit difficult in the thick cover.

Last Oct I visited this place and I was very eager to spot a wildcat but could'nt able to see even one (due to dense vegetation) and not even pug marks. So the JLR suggested me to visit Kabini in Summer since chances of sightings will be more due to dry weather (wildlife come to river to drink water).

Next time plan for a 2-day package then you wnt feel that much cramped and also you can go for Aurveda Massage in JLR campus hope you spotted it. Rates per day are bit costly at JLR Kabini,its obvious since Kabini is rated as one of the "TOP 5 BEST WILDLIFE RESORT IN THE WORLD" by NGC.

Regards

Sanjeev
Old 19th April 2010, 15:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wow more travelogues on Kabini. Nice photos AltoLXI. Especially the birds in sun.
Old 19th April 2010, 19:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue. Actually maximum spotting happen around Nagarhole/Bandipura/Wayanad area, So Kabini and Nagarhole area is best one based on my experience. Also this is right time you visited and number of wildlife you spotted are not less.

Last year when we visited there we were lucky to spot Tiger!! Boat ride is not worth take jungle jeep safari ride both evening and morning!!

Interestingly I travelled in Alto last year to same place!!

Ravi.
Old 21st April 2010, 21:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

AltoLxi - that was quite a good sighting you had on your visit and you say you are not satisfied!! You stay in the Malnad forest areas? Lucky you.
I stay in Palakkad, Kerala and when am bored, i just take my bike and get into any of the forests tracks around here. For me forests are the ultimate, whether i see animals or not
Awaiting more photos and reports on Kabini
Also have you posted any travelogue on any Malnad forest visits?

Praveen
Old 21st April 2010, 21:54   #11
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Many members are making me happy. I see snakes first in some travelogues. Now I see a croc in the wild. Lovely.
Old 22nd April 2010, 23:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Short and sweet travelogue
Nice pictures especially of the sun, bird, river.
thanks for sharing.

if you can disclose...How much the JLR stay cost you ?
Old 23rd April 2010, 18:13   #13
BHPian

@starvegabond-Price of JLR at Kabini stay as requested:
Cottage- Rs3500
Room- Rs4250
Cottage- Rs5000
All rates are bucks per head per day which includes all meals,2 times safari and boat ride.
Hope this info is helpful to you else you can visit Jungle Lodges & Resorts Eco Holidays

Regards

Sanjeev
Old 23rd April 2010, 19:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanju.iitm View Post
@starvegabond-Price of JLR at Kabini stay as requested:
Hope this info is helpful to you else you can visit Jungle Lodges & Resorts Eco Holidays
Thanks Sanjeev
now i remember, i had visited JLR website for chekcing the Dubare stay in Nov last year.
Old 24th April 2010, 18:14   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Short and sweet travelogue
Nice pictures especially of the sun, bird, river.
thanks for sharing.

if you can disclose...How much the JLR stay cost you ?
I stayed in the tent for a day. JLR charges 3500 per day per person (inclusive of taxes). Kids below 5 years are not charged.

I was apprehensive as to how the tents would be but found they are comfortable. They have attached bathrooms with geysers. The guests are provided pedestal fans, coffee makers and lockers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks