Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2012, 19:11   #46
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
@ranjitp1; Unless you are travelling Emirates you will have to get a sponsor and then apply for the Visa. No hassle otherwise since it is totally on-line and you just have to send a scan of the passport and of a PP size photo.
The Hotel that you book at can get you your visa too.
Old 26th September 2012, 20:01   #47
BHPian

Yes as you said in dubai a pedestranian is highly respected because if a car hits him and if he dies then the car driver has to pay something called as "blood money" to the relatives of the deceased. So only cars slow down or come to a halt when they see any pedestranian crossing the road.

You would have seen mostly the Honda and Toyota cars ruling the roads there as they are the most sought after cars in Dubai. Unlike in India no one even looks at the Hyundai and Skoda cars. They in fact have the worst resale value in dubai. Hyundai to attract customers even gives them offers like buy now and pay next year. I had seen this advertisement when I visited dubai.

Hope you checked out the Toyota and Honda showrooms for their wide range of passenger cars. It's a real sight to see! In fact we can even walk into a jaguar or a BMW or Mercedes showroom and check out their cars by getting into them.

But what I really missed was driving there as i Did not have a international license.
Old 26th September 2012, 22:35   #48
Senior - BHPian

Re: A 7 day trip to Dubai !!!

@sgitk--you do have a point regarding the visa. But I suppose the hotel you book online can sponsor your visa. Not sure of the cost though.

And what is the sequence: Does one book air ticket and hotel first, and then have the hotel sponsor the visa? Or is it the visa first from the hotel, and then the air ticket?
Old 27th September 2012, 12:44   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hi guys,

I am planning to go on a holiday to Dubai during end december, probably from 24-28 december,2012. Need advice on:
1. Places to visit: Am not interested in seeing museums or religious places.
2. Any recommendations for a Hotel: not looking at luxury chains but for a decent, not so heavy on your pocket, kind of place.
3. Is december a good time to visit Dubai? Would the trip cost me substantially more since its the holiday season?
4. I would be travelling with my parents and sister. Confused between going on our own or taking a package tour. I am more in favour of organizing it myself rather than relying on some pre scheduled fixed tour which becomes too hectic and takes the fun away from the holiday.

Waiting for some inputs. Thanks in advance.
Hello drmohitg, you will be only too glad you chose to visit Dubai in December. The climate's awesome and so is the city in general since the year end festivities are just around the corner (X'Mas/NY), like informed.

I second with some of the comments out before that you should visit Dubai on your own. What with the world under your palm (read internet) booking hotels or obtaining visas or sight-seeing is a breeze. Let me answer one by one:

1) There are a lot places you should visit, but again these would largely depend on your tastes and time.
Generally, there are a lot malls around here and if shopping is in the agenda, must visit places are: City Centre (either Deira or Mirdiff), Mall of the Emirates, Dubai Mall (adjoiningly you would have the Burj Khalifa) and the Ibn Battuta Mall. You also have a lot smaller ones like the Oasis Centre, Al Ghurair Centre, Mercato Mall and what-not. But the first four are the big ones you as a visitor would find amusing.
If sight-seeing per se is your cup of tea, then you could visit: a whole lot of places like Hatta, Al Ain (you have a lovely zoo, a small amusement park and one of the world's best motoring road stretches on the Jebel Hafeet Mountains). You could arrange a Dhow Cruise, Desert Safari, Wid Wadi, Bus Tours and the generally talked about things in this city. There are a lot more to see like the public parks too.
As for auto freaks like us (I'll take the liberty here) you have this awesome place in Abu Dhabi which is called the Ferrari World, the largest Ferrari themed amusement park in the world. Must See. Then the Yas Island which hosts the Yas Marina Circuit (the F1 circuit boss!). In Dubai, you have the Dubai Autodrome where you could race in the some of the fastest cars in the world (provided one has the valid licence to!) and get some valuable lessons too for a fee.

2) There are lots of hotels here mate, and the on-going rates vary according to the status, location and season. And December would be peak season too. I reckon if you would want a decent sort of hotel, you could check-in to the Four Seasons Hotel Chain. Or the Fortune Group of Hotels. You would have to make up your mind as to where you would want to stay first. Some of the popular places would be Deira, Bur Dubai, Karama, Al Qusais (Old City) and the popular but upbeat ones would be any hotel on the Sheikh Zayed Road.

3) Like I said earlier, December is the perfect time to travel to Dubai. Lovely weather and the general mood is so good. The whole city is vibrant with blooming flowers and all greenery. So its perfect. The cost incurred would certainly be more but it will be worth it. You wouldn't want to be caught in a holiday here during summer, thats bad bad bad! We (residents) try to get some place else during summer or just stay indoors.

4) And finally, like I said earlier, I would urge you to make arrangements on your own rather than tours. If all goes well, you might find it a whole lot cheaper too. There are pros and cons, but that fun factor would be missing if you come through tour operators. If you plan well, you should have a decent itinerary which should see you through the hols in all good spirits.

I hope I have covered most points here. You could always message if you have any doubts. Will be glad to cover it up for you. After all, its not everyday that we have a Tbhpian coming to Dubai (atleast not ones we are informed about).

And, I might have perhaps overseen a few too. If some guys from Dubai could point that out, should help drmohitg.

Cheers
Champ
Champion is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2012, 15:25   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion View Post

I hope I have covered most points here. You could always message if you have any doubts. Will be glad to cover it up for you. After all, its not everyday that we have a Tbhpian coming to Dubai (atleast not ones we are informed about).

And, I might have perhaps overseen a few too. If some guys from Dubai could point that out, should help drmohitg.

Cheers
Champ
Count two! Myself and family will be in Sharjah/Dubai from 23 to 30 Dec. Thanks a lot for the valuable info in your post. When I visit a place I take a lot of interest in budget eateries. Do you have suggestions?
Old 29th October 2012, 11:13   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
Count two! Myself and family will be in Sharjah/Dubai from 23 to 30 Dec. Thanks a lot for the valuable info in your post. When I visit a place I take a lot of interest in budget eateries. Do you have suggestions?
Hello tortoiseNhare, Dubai is one place where you would find a huge variety of eateries. A lot of Indian, Lebanese and Arabic food are available on most sought after streets. Budget eateries would depend on the place you are lodged and the kind of food you prefer. However, if its Sharjah that you would be camping, my knowledge of that Emirate is limited (read, almost NIL). I hope that helps and if there are any further clarifications, do keep them coming.

Ciao
Champion
Champion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2012, 19:13   #52
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I have finalized my trip to Dubai between 31st Dec and 5 Jan. I have already booked City Tour, Burj Dubai, Desert Safari, Dhou Cruise. I have two days free for myself and some time in between the above mentioned activities. Please suggest me other places to visit and other activities in Dubai. Please suggest what's worth buying in Dubai. Thanks.
Old 12th May 2013, 21:42   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@drmohitg; We spent a few days there last year. Four of us, and the cost was about Rs.165k all inclusive, from Cox and Kings (they do offer you make a custom itinerary, if you want). This included a boat trip on the creek (waste of time), city sight seeing, airport transfers, visas, etc. Some simple suggestions:

Places to visit - Burj Khalifa, Burj al Arab, and Dune Bashing. For the former book online in advance. Khalifa is 100AED in advance, 400AED on the spot. For Burj al Arab you should book online for breakfast (I think AED195 per head) in the lobby, you will not be allowed in otherwise.

Hotel - we stayed in a good 4* in the Bur Dubai area (most centra). This was the Royal Ascot. There is also a slightly cheaper Ascot next to it.
December should be Ok. We went in early May.
Sir, my family of 8 (of which 2 are my children) are going there next weekend. I booked the same hotel. We're thinking of
1. Lost chambers
2. Dolphinarium
3. Wild Wadi
4. Underwater Zoo
5. Wonderbus
6. Ferrari world
7. Abu dhabi tour
8. Burj Khalifa (top)

I was not planning to visit, Al Burj, but after seeing your note, I have second thoughts.

We're there for 4N/5D.

Given the temp, can help us plan the days better?

regards,
BH.
BurningHeart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 10:08   #54
BANNED

Make sure you book Burj Khalifa on-line. AED100 instead of AED400 per head on the stop. Entry is from the basement of Dubai Mall. Can also think of Breakfast at Burj Al Arab (the only way to get in). AED400 per head.

Last edited by sgiitk : 13th May 2013 at 10:09.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 10:24   #55
Senior - BHPian

I think it is 140 AED now, if you book online.

Ferrari world is fantastic, but do check the timings and reach accordingly.

Also, try the buggy ride.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed