Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2004, 16:08   #1
Team-BHP Support

Had to go to Pune this weekend to drop the parents off for a weeks stay. This was the first time I was driving the Octavia on the expressway after running it in.

The previous journey to Pune happened to be the most taxing I have ever done. The reason- had to keep a check on the speed as we were still running her in! I didn’t want to take the car over 110kmph and 2500rpm MAX! Boy, that really requires concentration as well as patience and will power. I couldn’t handle it, and gave the right seat over to my dad from the first tollbooth onwards!

Anyway, I was looking forward to this weekend’s trip, as I was anxious to see how Octi drove with a full load (4 adults + 1 child and a weeks worth of baggage). It did not disappoint. For those who have been on the expressway know that after the first toll booth, at the start of the ghats, even though the gradient looks gentle, you see your speed tailing off. Its here on the twisties that I really began to appreciate the 1.9Tdi’s immense torque. This is the first diesel car we have ever owned, and all that stuff they write about the torque is true! I was taking corners in third gear, the same ones I would take in 2nd in the Astra. The speedo did not drop below 80 even in the tightest turns. And this is with the full load I mentioned. Impressed, I certainly was.

We reach Pune in a little over 3 hours, mainly due to getting stuck in Mumbai traffic in the evening! The car had given me a mileage of 18.4 for the trip to Pune. I still had more than ¾ of the tank left!

Now for the fun part. I left Pune at 1pm on Sunday for the trip back. The car all to myself. No nagging backseat drivers to worry about! After a brief stop, I was on my way. Reached the expressway after an uneventful drive through the city. Again, didn’t really wanna push the Octi to its limits just yet, as its still got only 2450km’s on the odo. I was more interested in noting it’s handling on the downhill section of the ghats and that infamous decreasing radius right-hander which catches out a lot of ppl. Now I’m comparing this to my ex Astra. The Octi corners well, it’s a little nose heavy, but once she settles into the corner, not much moves her off line. However, enter a corner too hard and she’ll understeer, much more than the Astra did (this is probably due to the tyres). And, when taking those blind corners at about twice the speed limit, you see a moron doing 40 in the right lane, it’s easy to correct your line and just drive around them.

Cruising at around 165-170 is perfect for the Octi. Even at that speed, you push down on the loud pedal and it’ll still push you back in the seat (with adjustable lumbar support mind you!). Best of all, at that speed the engine is barely spinning at 2200rpm! Relaxed if you ask me!

Wind noise is well controlled and the Goodyear Eagle F1’s (205/60/15) are silent enough, much quieter than the Falkens on the Astra. However, I wasn’t very happy with the F1’s performance. They can get a little “flighty” on certain sections, and they howl much earlier than I think they should. However, they did grip well enough. But still, I’ll be changing to something else when the time comes.

I reach Bombay (Sion) at 2:55pm. Averaging 69Kmph (including the city driving in Pune and Mumbai). Average fuel consumption for the trip back was 19.9 kmpl (gotto love that computer in the Skoda).

Conclusion? IMO, the mix of economy, space, comfort and power the Octavia offers makes it one of the best Highway cars in India.

Rtech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2004, 16:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

19.9 whoa thats some sweet mileage!! My only negative take on the Skoda is rear seat legroom. But over all i find it sweet looking!
Old 17th May 2004, 16:22   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (S350L-E240 @ May 17 2004,14:47)]19.9 whoa thats some sweet mileage!! My only negative take on the Skoda is rear seat legroom. But over all i find it sweet looking!
Yea, that legroom is not the best. However, we chose this car after making my mom sit in the back. She was OK with it, and as the taller members of the family are always in the front, the rear legroom did not become an issue.

But, yea, its like bhp, more is always better!
Old 17th May 2004, 16:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

rtech,
Why did you say this, "Again, didn’t really wanna push the Octi to its limits just yet, as its still got only 2450km’s on the odo" ? How long until u can push it off the limits? and why wud u not do that at 2500 kms cause i always thought u cud once ur over 1500? Thanx again
Old 17th May 2004, 16:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

kewl!!!
maybe thats the reason octi sells like hot cakes in southern cities!
Old 17th May 2004, 16:48   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (S350L-E240 @ May 17 2004,15:11)]rtech,
Why did you say this, "Again, didn’t really wanna push the Octi to its limits just yet, as its still got only 2450km’s on the odo" ? How long until u can push it off the limits? and why wud u not do that at 2500 kms cause i always thought u cud once ur over 1500? Thanx again
hey S350,

well, the manual says the run in period is upto the first 1500km's. However, as i plan to keep the car for a looong time (8 years min.), I'm running her in gently. Slowly raising the revv limit and the max speed as the Km's go down.

A little patience now will save a lot in the future. Or maybe i'm just a lil over protective! *

Old 17th May 2004, 17:11   #7
BHPian

19.9kmpl is awesome.tht really proves the wt is this 1.9 turbo diesel mill made up of.
Old 17th May 2004, 17:41   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hey Rtech,

Unlike mine and Ajmats experiences in the Vtec, you averaged more without your parents than with them. But what I found really surprising is that the Astra handled better. As you said, prolly due to teh tyres...but didnt your Astra have stock rubber? I remember doing that same trip in my C on the way back from a business trip to Pune, and boy...I was pushing her so hard that the traction control light was on at each and every corner of the downhill Lonavla ghat. While I was first finding the limits, it would come on intermittently, but then...you should have just heard the engine crying out in delight!. BTW I averaged a 7 on that fast trip (less than 1.5 hours to Pune).

You did the right thing by not over-revving her at just 2000 odd kms...I dont until atleast 4 - 5K on the odo. That did result in your superb mileage figures, and heck the Octavia is cheaper to travel in than the bus!

GTO
Old 17th May 2004, 18:25   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Unlike mine and Ajmats experiences in the Vtec, you averaged more without your parents than with them.
Well, as I said, going up to pune, the car was packed with 4.5 ppl and a weeks worth of luggage. Plus, you are climbing to get to Pune, and descending to get back to Bombay, hence the mileage difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]But what I found really surprising is that the Astra handled better. As you said, prolly due to teh tyres...but didnt your Astra have stock rubber?
No, I would never ever drive those speeds with the crappy stock tube type tyres! Thats just plain stupid, you may get away with it, but you're playing with fire! I had Falken Z502's on the Astra. 195/60/14, and man, that was some great rubber, rain or shine! Plus, I also had stiffer Koni's adding to the handling of the Astra. But even without the shocks, I feel the Astra had the edge in the handling area.

The last trip with the Astra, i was drafting a W210 all the way back. On the straights, with me on his tail, the speedo was nudging the 195 Kmph mark (dunno what the speedo error is) as the Benz pulled away. But caught and passed him on the twisties, only for him to catch me on the final straight! Great fun, did the run in about an hour and 45 mins. But, like you, got 6.9 kmpl on that trip!

Old 19th May 2004, 00:03   #10
zen
BHPian

The best sight on the expressway after the nature around in my book - watching an Octavia growing in size in my mirrors and then watch it zoom past. No other car here looks as good as it going fast.
Old 19th May 2004, 02:08   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]No other car here looks as good as it going fast.
I second that. The Octavia really looks different...in the sense that its a mature piece in a sea of boy racers! Stands out literally. My personal favorite is a Red Octavia with black tints and some really neat alloys.

GTO
Old 19th May 2004, 04:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]My personal favorite is a Red Octavia with black tints and some really neat alloys.
The Octavias do have one of the best alloy tyre combos on Indian roads as of date
Old 20th May 2004, 16:20   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (rtech @ May 17 2004,16:55)]No, I would never ever drive those speeds with the crappy stock tube type tyres! Thats just plain stupid, you may get away with it, but you're playing with fire!
I absolutely agree with you!!!

I just wouldnt feel safe going at any speed above a maximum of 120km/h for an extended period of time on stock rubber.

cya
R

Old 12th January 2006, 19:44   #14
BHPian

Boy Racer Or Mature Piece...?

Hi Guys, long time. I love the express way. I have a Red 1.8Turbo in Pune and I go to bombay atleast once a month(i am 24 so i guess a boy racer ). unbelieveable , I have done Pune(Aundh) Bombay(SionStation), with an Average speed of 145Kmph. Unbelieveable. Right thats what I thought when I checked it standing at a red light. I was driving most of the between 180+ Toll to Toll was in about 26 minutes. I had touched 230kmph, on the long downhill, after lonavala. (They say the car goes to 220Kmph) maybe my speedo is worng:-( But I have to say that car flies and Everything in the car was stock. It had done about 5500Kms till then. Taking the long sweeping truns left great and the roar of the engine the minute you shift form 5 to 4 at 180Kmph, the car just wants more. Well it was some drive to do alone, but I made it to 'RA' at 11:30Pm, Phew it was a boost of adhernline for a month.
Old 19th January 2006, 19:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
I didn’t want to take the car over 110kmph and 2500rpm MAX! Boy, that really requires concentration as well as patience and will power.
that means iam very strong in my concentration, patience and will power (no just fear is the reason i always stay below 120 )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Cruising at around 165-170 is perfect for the Octi. Even at that speed, you push down on the loud pedal and it’ll still push you back in the seat (with adjustable lumbar support mind you!). Best of all, at that speed the engine is barely spinning at 2200rpm! Relaxed if you ask me!
Wow. Whats the top speed of you babe?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks