Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2010, 13:32   #61
Senior - BHPian

@sree - as promised here's a link to a log from me. Its a collection of many trips wityh the latest kodai-munnar trip

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ur-munnar.html
Old 4th May 2010, 19:24   #62
BHPian

Nice pics. Kodai is a good choice for Summer. Its my favourite as well.
A note on Yercaud and Coorg - Yercaud is a good place, but not as elevated as your Ooty or Kodai are. We had been there in Decemeber, and the weather is pleasant may be a tad cooler than Bangalore. We did not require any winter wear. Summers might not really be cooler.
Coorg - Is extremely hot in summer. So dont attempt a trip to coorg in summer
Old 4th May 2010, 19:28   #63
BHPian

Thanks! Laluks for adding up more spice to this thread & will be useful to guys who want's to travel further to Munnar & Thekkady form Kodai.
Nice to see you in white Dothi & contrast Brownish red shirt (true Malayali style).
regards
Sree
Old 4th May 2010, 22:40   #64
BHPian

Sree thanks to u man! I did get in touch with the driver(the number you had given) and he put me on to his travel agent. I spoke to him on Friday morning before I started to Kodai and he said that the Berijam trip can be arranged and asked me to get in touch as soon as I reach Kodai.

I reached Kodai and since we had to stop for lunch at Hilltop Restaurant, thought of meeting him in person as his office was pretty close to 7roads. I went there and met him and confirmed the trip for Sunday. The only bad news was that he said that the ranger office might give permission to as many as 100 vehicles! as it is the peak season weekend.

But RAIN played spoil sport for couple of days(Friday and Saturday) so we decided to call off the trip on Sunday as we felt it would be tricky carrying the child along in the rains. So I called him on Saturday evening and told him the same. He understood the situation and took it easy.

Though I did not make it this time, it sure is an option on hand when I make it next time. THANKS AGAIN!
Old 4th May 2010, 22:46   #65
BHPian

luvurride,
Bad luck this time & good luck next time.
Can't predict the weather & blame it too.
Old 5th May 2010, 16:21   #66
BHPian

Luvuride,
I am planning to leave to Kodai on Friday early morning. Is it so heavily raining in Kodai? Is it a bad idea to visit Kodai now?
Old 5th May 2010, 17:58   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabnawaz_b View Post
Luvuride,
I am planning to leave to Kodai on Friday early morning. Is it so heavily raining in Kodai? Is it a bad idea to visit Kodai now?
I had driven doen to Trivandrum via NH7 2 days back, and near kodai road, it was heavy rains both the times. Kodaikanal is around 80Km from here.

The rains were heavy to say the least - dont know about the strength up the hills.
Old 5th May 2010, 18:03   #68
BHPian

Oh thats bad news.. sree70 and luvuride, can you advise?
I have already booked the room.
Old 6th May 2010, 16:51   #69
BHPian

Hey Sree..Nice sweet report out there. Photographs are superb. Kodaikanal has been in my list for a long time, however, I have still not been able to make it to Kodai.

And moreover, it was Villaretreat only which was their in my mind, have read quite a few reviews. But wanted a first hand review from a fellow T-BHPian. Finally wish fulfilled. How was there service and room conditions ? From outside it is excellent.

Did you by any chance get any info on how it would be in May to visit Kodai ? Will there be mist during May ?

For me also, I had 2 options for the route, i was a bit hesitant on the bhabani - palani route for the road conditions, but from your pics, it is apparent that the roads are in good condition. Can I safely consider around 10 hours to reach Kodai from Bangy ?
Old 6th May 2010, 21:15   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Oh thats bad news.. sree70 and luvuride, can you advise?
I have already booked the room.
@ rabnawaz, Dont worry! checked Kodai weather report, Yesterday & today no Rains. Its still pre-monsoon showers & we can only hope it doesnot rain much. Can't predict the weather. But Remember to carry umbrellas. It rained for an hour when we were in Kodai(april 18th & 19th).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
Hey Sree..Nice sweet report out there. Photographs are superb. Kodaikanal has been in my list for a long time, however, I have still not been able to make it to Kodai.
And moreover, it was Villaretreat only which was their in my mind, have read quite a few reviews. But wanted a first hand review from a fellow T-BHPian. Finally wish fulfilled. How was there service and room conditions ? From outside it is excellent.
Did you by any chance get any info on how it would be in May to visit Kodai ? Will there be mist during May ?
For me also, I had 2 options for the route, i was a bit hesitant on the bhabani - palani route for the road conditions, but from your pics, it is apparent that the roads are in good condition. Can I safely consider around 10 hours to reach Kodai from Bangy ?
Thanks for the comments. One has visit Kodai in their life time.
The rooms & bathrooms were very neat & tidy. Room services was excellent. (prefer Deluxe or Classic rooms & standard category is OK)
Not much mist in April & May. Visit in April or May & feel the changes of weather in Kodai (morning -cold, Afternoon - Hot & evenings - Chill) in a single day.
You can try 2nd option route while going up to Kodai & try 1st option while coming back. Easily you can cover in 10hrs from bangy to Kodai. From Palani foot hill to Kodai top one requires min 2hrs depending upon the traffic.
Old 6th May 2010, 21:49   #71
BHPian

Thanks Sree70. Anyways already prepared to leave tomorrow morning. Will post the photos once back.
Old 7th May 2010, 09:54   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sree70 View Post
Thanks for the comments. One has visit Kodai in their life time.
The rooms & bathrooms were very neat & tidy. Room services was excellent. (prefer Deluxe or Classic rooms & standard category is OK)
Not much mist in April & May. Visit in April or May & feel the changes of weather in Kodai (morning -cold, Afternoon - Hot & evenings - Chill) in a single day.
You can try 2nd option route while going up to Kodai & try 1st option while coming back. Easily you can cover in 10hrs from bangy to Kodai. From Palani foot hill to Kodai top one requires min 2hrs depending upon the traffic.
Thanks for the info Sree. I might get out in May else wait till end of Sept/early Oct. I think it would be a nice weather that time. I have no second thought of stay now - its gonna Villa Retreat and a cottage. I wish if the love birds (which are there in Kodai resorts) were available in Villa Retreat to improve the ambience.
Old 7th May 2010, 23:08   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Luvuride,
rabnawaz I apologize for not responding on time as I was in Munnar this week stripped of internet connectivity.

Well, when I was in Kodai, the rains were mainly because of some low pressure that brought out the lashing on entire Tamilnadu. Otherwise, Sunday and Monday was quite dry. This week in Munnar was also dry and absolutely no rains. Both Kodai and Munnar belong to the Palani hill range.

Anyway its too late for any update from me as you would be chilling yourself in KODAI by now!
Old 10th May 2010, 22:24   #74
BHPian

for taking a loooong break & Iam continiung the trek to Dolphin Nose, Echo point & Mountain beauty spot.
The drive from Lions cave to Dolphins nose point was about 15 Mins & parked the car in a safe place. Just carried water bottles & cameras along with us. The dolphin nose point trek is on a steep slope & a rocky terrain and a good sports shoes is highly recommended.
Moved on the down slope easily in about 15mins & reached the Mountain beauty point, from here one can have a veiw of many beautiiful green mountains & few surrounding villages. The guide told us that we can trek from here for few KMS & reach a nearby village (name i dont remenber).
Trekking path to Dophin nose
Attachment 346223
A veiw from Mountain beauty point
Attachment 346221
Attachment 346222
After taking a breif rest continued the trek to Dolphin's nose point & every one were damn tired by the time they reached the destination.
But the veiw of the Dolphin's nose took away all the tiredness.
Few snaps clicked near Dolphins nose
Attachment 346229
Attachment 346230
Attachment 346231
Attachment 346232
Further from Dolphin's nose point to Echo point is a small distance trek on a very narrow path.
Echo point
Attachment 346233
In Tired & Exhausted mood @ echo point
Attachment 346234
A happy & relaxed moment
Attachment 346235
After spending quiet time in these 3 points started the return trek to the top. The return trek was on the uphill & few were really exhausted. Left the place to reach the resort fo lunch.
After having heavy lunch, loaded the luggages back to the car from the resorts locker room. Got refreshed & left kodai @ 5-00PM.
The on ward journey to plani foot hills took only 1Hr 40mins since there was not much traffic from opposte direction.
A veiw of Palani temple Hill from Kodai hills ghat
Name:  IMG_0944.bmp
Views: 3702
Size:  1,012.6 KB
Reached palani temple premises @ 6-50pm & the team decided to visit the famous palani temple. On enquiry we were told the darshan could be done in 1 or 2 hrs. One has 3 options to climb the palani temple hill i.e Climbing 1000& odd steps by foot, a Cable car & a Winch.
Since none of us had the energy to climb the steps by foot & the cable car being faster decided on it.
Stood in the line for the cable car & it took about 1hour to put our foot in the cable car. The fare is RS.50/- per head. The cable car climbed smoothly & took us to the temple top and found a big crowd.
Cable Car upward journey to templeName:  IMG_0954.bmp
Views: 3904
Bought RS.100/- tickets for faster darshan & had the nice darshan of the deity. Bought yummy sweet prasadam of Palani temple. To our shock the cable car rope way was stopped for the day @ 8-45pm itself due to lighting & thundering in the sky.
Palni Down hill City @ night
Name:  IMG_0960.bmp
Views: 3513
So the other option to get down the hill was from the electrical winch & ran to the winch place and found heavy rush. At 9-30pm got seats in the electrical winch & got down slowly / safely @ 9-50pm. ( fare for electrical winch RS.10/- & RS.25/-).
Electrical winch moving slowly
Name:  IMG_0963.bmp
Views: 1320
Big crowd for the electrical winch
Name:  IMG_0964.bmp
Views: 2821
Since i had parked my car @ the Cable car rope way entrance, i had to catch an auto & drove back my car about 1.5KMS to electrical winch exit place. At 10-20pm left to a Good Veg resturant in palani & after having dinner left Palani @ 11-45PM.
After a tired drive Reached Bangy safely next day @ 7-00am.
TRIP meter reading & start - 0000
TRIP meter reading & end - 945
Total duration of the trip - 74HRS
The end.
Old 11th May 2010, 00:22   #75
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Some interesting facts about the Palani temple. We all know the fable that Murugan (subramanya) in a fight with his parents over the widsom fruit (or the fruit that offers wisdom), came down to Palani and stood there wearing loin cloth, like an aandi (pauper). The idol is made of Navapashanam (having loads of medicinal values). Soon many people started scratching bits and pieces to sell the same as medicine and finally the idol became unstable. Now they've banned any kind of Abhisheka on this idol.
Palani is misconstrued as one of the aru padai veedu (six abodes) of muruga/ subramanya. That is false. The real one of the 6 is not palani on the hill but the other one called Thiruvaavinankudi at the palani foot hills. Very few people go to this temple actually as most flock to see the one on top thinking it to be one of the six.
Photography is banned inside palani temple premises and the golden charriot is famous.
I managed to grab one with my mobile which was met with stern consternation and threat of confiscation of my mobile by temple authorities.
Sorry about the camera shake. That's the best I could manage in that crowd and the security with a mobile almost 4 years back!
KODAIKANAL- Princess Hills in Summer 2010.-palani.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks