Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:37   #1
BHPian

Enchanting Kutta

Planning trips and canceling had become a regular affair for me in the past one year, for various reasons. My IRCTC profile showed more cancellation than booking status. I had even cancelled my Munnar trip that I had planned on my 1st Marriage Anniversary. Despite this, the weather back at home remained pleasant, no thunder storm (God! thanks for giving such an understanding wife – touchwood!!), though I felt really bad for canceling my anniversary trip. Therefore, this year I decided that I’ll definitely take my wifey for a trip to spend some quality time together.

The search started… Kodaikanal, Ooty, Munnar (again), Chikmagalur, Coorg etc... But this year my main priority was to cut-down driving time as my wifey’s health does not permit her to take-up long journey. Out of short-listed places she chucked-out Kodai, Ooty, Munnar, Chikmagalur on the basis of distance and commercialization of place. So unanimously we zeroed a place called Kutta in Coorg - nearer to Bangalore and better drivability. Searched details about Kutta, as always, Team-bhp first - one stop solution for everything. Got plenty of info - route, homestay details (though found a few) and nearby places to visit. PM to Kvish (Karthik) and Info for homestay details and got prompt response from Karthik (thanks dude, it was of great help).

On 14th April, I reached Bangalore early morning at 4.10 am (I’m posted in Chennai). After resting for a while, we dumped the baggage in my wagon (which I had serviced and kept ready a week ago). Started onward journey to Kutta at 6.00 am (one hour late than planned). Since it was early morning and less vehicles on road, it took just half-an-hour to reach Mysore road from Jalahalli West. From there it was a smooth sail till we took a right turn after Srirangapatna towards KRS Dam. This route connects SH-88 near Army cantonment area on Mysore-Hunsur highway (a humble request, avoid this route). Though, there is less traffic on this stretch, yet the road is in bad shape.

Route taken:
Bangalore-Mysore road-Srirangapatna-towards KRS-Hunsur-Nagarhole-Kutta.

Best route:
Bangalore-Mysore bypass (right from Columbia Asia hospital)-Hunsur-Nargarhole-Kutta.

After crossing Srirangapatna, we took a right towards KRS dam (first mistake), which connects SH-88. The road is not is good shape, single lane, unexpected potholes and uneven patchwork till you touch SH-88 (near Army cantonment on Mysore-Hunsur highway). It took about 45 minutes to complete this stretch. However, once on SH-88 the drive was smooth again, we reached Hunsur in half-an-hour. Before reaching Hunsur town there is a deviation. Straight road takes you to Madikeri while the left deviation goes towards Hunsur town. We took a left and proceeded towards Hunsur bus stand and after crossing the bus stand we took a left turn from Bharath Petrol pump (this is the place to watch out). Highly recommend to fill up the tank before leaving Hunsur, as there is no single petrol pump in Kutta.

Since my wagon was holding half tank petrol I thought that would be sufficient enough (second mistake). Kutta is around 60 kms from Hunsur town. Around 10:00 am we reached the Nagarhole National park. Entered vehicle number, number of travelers, to and fro details and a tip of Rs 20 for chai-pani. Guard at the entrance gate informed: No horn, No music, No parking!!! I nodded and moved on, completely deserted road. I was constantly maintaining speed at 30-40 kms in-order to capture some shots.After reading thread of Bangalore buddy meet at Nagahole I was very excited and optimistic to see a big cat on the way. But I was not the lucky number two; though saw a few deer, a bunch of black face langur, a big size squirrel and a tusker. In this route, there is a deviation after crossing Murkal, and we maintained left and continued towards Kutta (as instructed by the homestay owner where we stayed).

At the park’s exit, entered the same details again. We reach the homestay at 10:45 am, which was roughly about 2 kms from the exit gate of national park towards Kutta town. Before starting from Bangalore we had blocked a room at Vimala Estate, run by Mr. Narendra Pattu (a Coorgi Bhramin), nice place to stay with all basic amenities.Tiled roof house situated in the middle of the estate spread over 20 acres of land.

The package was - Rs 750/per person/day with three time meals(Coorgi cuisine – non-veg/veg both).

to be continued...
Attached Thumbnails
Enchanting Kutta-1.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-2.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-3.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-4.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-5.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-6.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-7.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-8.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-9.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-10.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-11.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-12.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-13.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-14.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-15.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-16.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-17.jpg  

Old 23rd April 2010, 11:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thats nice start and right time to visit good holiday spot. Pour more details.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 23rd April 2010, 12:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Good, will keep watching this thread for more updates from you. Kutta in Malayalam means little son/boy & calling them affectionately.
Old 23rd April 2010, 12:54   #4
BHPian

Nice snaps. I am planning to visit Nagarhole/Wayanad next weekend.
Please let us know what places you visited during your stay.

I am planning to visit Tholpetty/Nagarhole Safari and Tirunelli temple.
Old 23rd April 2010, 13:22   #5
BHPian

Ravibhat, aargee - Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Nice snaps. I am planning to visit Nagarhole/Wayanad next weekend.
Please let us know what places you visited during your stay.

I am planning to visit Tholpetty/Nagarhole Safari and Tirunelli temple.
Blackstallion -

We went there just to relax. For a change from the routine life. As i mentioned, my wife's health does not permit me to take her for safari (bumpy ride) or any other long distance places, probably next time. We visited only Irpu falls and enojyed the surroundings of kutta town. There are places like, Irpu falls (6 kms), Bhrahmagiri Mountain (8 kms), Tirunelly temple (as you mentioned), Pookot Late (70 kms) and Waynard National Park.

Last edited by ImranShahnawaz : 23rd April 2010 at 13:23.
Old 23rd April 2010, 14:03   #6
BHPian

Enchanting Kutta... continues

Day 1:
After having lunch we decided to stay back and relax since my wifey was tired after four and half hour's journey (with one break at MTR for breakfast). Evening we decided to see Kutta town and go till Irpu falls (6 kms from estate). We started from estate at 5:00 pm, crossed Kutta town and continued towards Manchalli. The road is almost in battered condition till the falls. Reached Irpu fall at 5:30 pm, but the gates were closed at 5:00 pm. And we decided to comeback next day morning. Back to estate and went for a walk near by. Climate was not as bad as in Bangalore and Chennai during day time, but after 7:00 in the evening there was a thunder break and it started pouring heavily for the next couple of hours. Enjoyed the thunder showers to the fullest, as I was completely baked being in Chennai for the last 8 months.

Day 2:
Our day started with a cup of hot filter coffee. After sipping the coffee we started towards Irpu falls. Day starts too late at this small town, hardly one or two tea stalls were open. Reached Irpu falls at 7:45 am, paid Rs 50 for car parking and entrance ticket for two.

From the entrance, it is half a km walk inside the forest area. We were the first to reach the spot early in the morning. Tourism department has ensured proper steps, concrete path and a hanging bridge to reach the falls. Due to heavy downpour the previous night, water flow was in good force. We spent good 3 hours there enjoying nature and calmness. Way back to estate we stopped at a hotel run by a Malayali in Kutta town and enjoyed hot Kerala parotas and meen curry (fish curry). Kutta is hardly 5 kms from Kerala border.

Reached estate by 12:00 am, had breakfast and packed our bags for return journey. But my worry was the level of petrol (which was less than a quarter) left in my Wagon.

Enquired with Mr. Pattu -

Me: Sir any petrol pump nearby?

Mr. Pattu: “No Petrol pump in Kutta. You’ll find a few shops in town selling petrol in Black”.

Me: How safe to use that petrol?

Mr. Pattu: Not a problem, they get it from Kerala.

Felt relieved, but I was unable to convince myself to use that petrol in my wagon. After clearing bills (Rs 1500/two people/per night) and exchanging good wishes with Mrs. and Mr. Pattu we started at 12:35 pm. Went back to Kutta town and bought two liters petrol in a separate bottle (for emergency), though my wife was confident that we’ll reach Hunsur with the available petrol in tank. And she was right (her judgment was better than mine).

We reached Hunsur-Mysore road by 1:45 pm and filled the tank at Indian oil pump. Reached Bangalore at 5:00 pm with a single stop at MTR for lunch.

Over all, the short trip was a refreshing change for both of us from the usual office work and busy city life.

Imp points:
* Only one Canara Bank ATM at Kutta town, so keep sufficient cash.
* No Petrol pump, so fill up the tank at Hunsur before proceeding further

Total Distance:
235 kms (one side)

Homestay:
Vimala Estate
Mr. Narendra Pattu
Mobile: 9945286608
Attached Thumbnails
Enchanting Kutta-first.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-19.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-19a.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-19b.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-18.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-20.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-21.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-22.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-23.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-24.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-25.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-26.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-26a.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-27.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-28.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-29.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-29a.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-30.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-31.jpg  

Enchanting Kutta-last.jpg  

ImranShahnawaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2010, 16:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImranShahnawaz View Post
Imp points:
* Only one Canara Bank ATM at Kutta town, so keep sufficient cash.
* No Petrol pump, so fill up the tank at Hunsur before proceeding further
Alternately you can cross over to Kerala reach Kattikkulam town through Wayanad Sanctuary - If iam right there is an IBP Petrol pump over there. Distance :20km from Kutta and another 10 or so kms you have Manathavady town with Petrol pumps and ATMs. Also enroute you can have the famed 'Unniappams' at the Jungle View Hotel

Good to know you chose Kutta over the other high profile destinations around. Best way to unwind, away from the crowd.
Old 23rd April 2010, 17:56   #8
Team-BHP Support

Pictures look very lively and nice. Except that some of them have gone astray while re-sizing I guess.

How was the stretch from Hunsur onwards?
Old 23rd April 2010, 19:30   #9
BHPian

Wow! A picture of the Giant Squirrel ( called Shekhru in Marathi)
Old 26th April 2010, 09:39   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Alternately you can cross over to Kerala reach Kattikkulam town through Wayanad Sanctuary - If iam right there is an IBP Petrol pump over there. Distance :20km from Kutta and another 10 or so kms you have Manathavady town with Petrol pumps and ATMs. Also enroute you can have the famed 'Unniappams' at the Jungle View Hotel

Good to know you chose Kutta over the other high profile destinations around. Best way to unwind, away from the crowd.
Thanks for the additional information about petrolpump and ATM mallumowgli. This will definitely be helpful for the members taking this route.

Instead Unniappams I would give preference to hot appams and chicken curry if I get in Jungle view hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Pictures look very lively and nice. Except that some of them have gone astray while re-sizing I guess.

How was the stretch from Hunsur onwards?
Thanks ampere. No re-sizing done on photos.

Route from Hunsur was in okay state, a little bit of patchwork at few places. But can maintain 40-60kms easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainthreat View Post
Wow! A picture of the Giant Squirrel ( called Shekhru in Marathi)
rainthreat, thanks for the info.
Old 26th April 2010, 10:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Pics are excellent; I hope you'd a good treat for your eyes with Mother Nature.
Could you throw some light about the scoop on WagonR's bonnet? Does that really help to breathe better?
Old 26th April 2010, 12:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

You could drive to srimangala which is 10 kms from kutta to get petrol as there is a fuel station there. Kutta bunk was not running under any profits which was the reason it was shut down!!
Old 26th April 2010, 15:39   #13
BHPian

Nice place! I had been to Kutta and stayed at Green Resort (Manu Estate). And i travelled in the monsoon.. So it was really really green!

Thnx for sharing
Old 27th April 2010, 10:47   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Pics are excellent; I hope you'd a good treat for your eyes with Mother Nature.
Could you throw some light about the scoop on WagonR's bonnet? Does that really help to breathe better?
Indeed, it was a treat.

It's a artificial scoop, just to look different from other wagon. To add little bit sporty look. But I guess, if there is a cut on the bonnet and a conical filter inside that will definitely help engine to breath better. I have stock replacement K&N inside, not conical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
You could drive to srimangala which is 10 kms from kutta to get petrol as there is a fuel station there. Kutta bunk was not running under any profits which was the reason it was shut down!!
Yes, I think even I heard this from a local too. Thanks for the update maddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Nice place! I had been to Kutta and stayed at Green Resort (Manu Estate). And i travelled in the monsoon.. So it was really really green!

Thnx for sharing
Even I checked at Green Resort after consulting with Karthik (a fellow Bhpean), but got a good deal at Vimala Estate, and it was worth.

Last edited by ImranShahnawaz : 27th April 2010 at 10:48.
Old 7th May 2010, 17:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Driving to Kaattikulam may not have been a good option since the roads from Kutta to Kattikulam was in a horrible state, no sedan can pass through without scraping the under belly. Kattikulam if I am right has got more than one fuel pump

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks