Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2010, 16:53   #61
BHPian

Thanks samsag12, FM and MX6

@FM: Driving through that bridge is not allowed. That is also meant for pedestrians only. Yes, it was very very soothing to just sit there. It was amazing, you going through typical central India terrain, feeling all that dryness, and suddenly on reaching there we found that environment. We didn't have any idea how it'd be like, even after parking, and going through the small market there, till we reached on the bridge. Then suddenly it was like you are in Rishikesh! around Lakshaman Jhoola!

@MX6
: Yes, it deserves a visit. Taking a holi dip/ immersion in that cool, clean water will be very exciting. People were taking bath there.
Old 6th May 2010, 14:06   #62
BHPian

Day 2 Photos continue:

Fond memories of that beautiful, curvy but smooth SH...
..and yes, it was in MP !
Attached Thumbnails
A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc03206.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc03207.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc03209.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc03212.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc03213.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc03214.jpg  

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 6th May 2010 at 14:09.
Old 6th May 2010, 14:12   #63
BHPian

Last set of Day 2 pics..
Attached Thumbnails
A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc03220.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc03221.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc03224.jpg  

Old 6th May 2010, 14:24   #64
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Just found that Omkareshwas is a 10 hour drive from Pune. Now this can't be done in a weekend. So waiting for the next long weekend.

HVK saab, Will there be issues from the MP cops at the border areas? Though their penchance is for SUVs and van kind of vehicles, I don't want them to pull mine over for election duty. I'm not afraid of naxals. It's the corrupt cops that am afraid of!
Old 6th May 2010, 16:43   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
p.s. I'm afraid of Dams.
Why ??

Quote:
Just found that Omkareshwas is a 10 hour drive from Pune. Now this can't be done in a weekend. So waiting for the next long weekend.
I need to find out how much distance it is from Hyderabad.

Quote:
HVK saab, Will there be issues from the MP cops at the border areas? Though their penchance is for SUVs and van kind of vehicles, I don't want them to pull mine over for election duty. I'm not afraid of naxals. It's the corrupt cops that am afraid of!
LDL traversed safely through MP in his Safari. I say a safari would be attractive for the MP cops for that election duty. Don't think they will stop a sedan with family.
Moreover just find out in the newspaper or online if there is any election in MP and you can plan accordingly

EDIT : just found out , it is 740 kms from Hyderabad, approximately 13hrs drive :(

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 6th May 2010 at 16:49.
Old 6th May 2010, 17:14   #66
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Why ??

I need to find out how much distance it is from Hyderabad.

LDL traversed safely through MP in his Safari. I say a safari would be attractive for the MP cops for that election duty. Don't think they will stop a sedan with family.
Moreover just find out in the newspaper or online if there is any election in MP and you can plan accordingly

EDIT : just found out , it is 740 kms from Hyderabad, approximately 13hrs drive :(
1. No idea. My heart starts pounding fast when I stand or walk across a dam. Guess it's the psychological factor of the amount of potential energy the dams are holding up! Source of extreme power. Guess there's still no phobia word for describing this fear. But nevertheless, I have walked across many a dams!

2. How do you intend to drive 740 kms in 13 hours? With family, I do that with many breaks. I took 3 days to cover Chennai to Bangalore! When alone, I drive 800 kms in 11 - 12 hours.

3. One can never be cocky about these things. Naxals have a definite target. Cops don't!
Old 6th May 2010, 17:38   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. How do you intend to drive 740 kms in 13 hours? With family, I do that with many breaks. I took 3 days to cover Chennai to Bangalore! When alone, I drive 800 kms in 11 - 12 hours.
Drove Hyd-blr in 8hrs with a 40mins break(577kms), but don't think roads to Omkareshwar would be even close to what the roads are between hyd-blr.But if roads are good probably early morning start will do the trick and by evening we will be in Omakareshwar. No kids yet so not much of an issue. Wife is ok with the long drive till the time she is not feeling hungry.

But how did you manage the 3 days between Chennai and blr, a record of sorts, isn't it. Where all did you stop enroute. Must be frustrating for you?
Old 6th May 2010, 17:53   #68
BHPian

Quote:
early morning start will do the trick and by evening we will be in Omakareshwar. No kids yet so not much of an issue. Wife is ok with the long drive till the time she is not feeling hungry.
But how did you manage the 3 days between Chennai and blr, a record of sorts, isn't it. Where all did you stop enroute. Must be frustrating for you?
Hmm.. nice discussion going on, keep it up buddies.
See, I even dont know whether Omkareswar have decent staying options or not! Sorry, we were in such a hurry! But, if not, then Khandwa can be an option? I am sure you'll explore all the possibilities when you plan that trip.
Old 6th May 2010, 18:35   #69
BHPian

Hi LDL,

Well written travelogue. I had liked your previous travelogue as well, which I believe was your first. The pics were good but the Omkareswar pics were just amazing. Thanks for sharing again.
Old 7th May 2010, 00:47   #70
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My mistake. It should read 3 days between chennai, bangalore, belgaum and pune. Sorry for the typo.
left chennai at around 5 pm. Night stay was in between hosur and bangalore. Then left bangalore next morning at 11 and stayed the night in belgaum. Left belgaum the third morning at 10 and reached pune by evening.
Old 7th May 2010, 17:14   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sami316 View Post
Hi LDL,
Well written travelogue. I had liked your previous travelogue as well, which I believe was your first. The pics were good but the Omkareswar pics were just amazing. Thanks for sharing again.
Thanks Sami. Yes, the previous one was my 1st TL. Will complete this next week. Just busy with work.
Old 7th May 2010, 18:08   #72
BHPian

Quote:
LDL traversed safely through MP in his Safari. I say a safari would be attractive for the MP cops for that election duty. Don't think they will stop a sedan with family.(
@FM. You know what, though cops would prefer SUV for election purpose, but, Safari is a vehicle that cops are sort of 'scared of' (to put it mildly, I should say 'hesitant'), in these states - UP, MP, Bihar etc! Reason being simple, they are not sure to whom the vehicle may belong or who is inside - a 'Netaji' or influential local muscle man or powerful contractor or dreaded goons, and their 'men'. It doesn't sound logical to we law-abiding poor citizens, but, this is the reality here, which I have discovered in less then 1 yr of ownership of this Tigress. They are hesitant to stop & question someone driving a Safari, be it a lone driver even! But, I am sure, this won't be the case in other more progressive states or metropolis.

All said, but, still as MX6 wrote above, you can never be cocky about cops and if on a wrong day you get into their net, then you can't talk law too.

On a lighter note, here is an interesting incident that involves cops and it happened to us in MP during trip only! Forgot to mention in the story.
Here it goes:
On reaching Indore at 10.15 pm, we were confused as to which right turn into city (to our Hotel) we have to take from that beautiful 4 lane Indore bypass. Though my friend has told me the name of the turn, but in night difficult to spot as to which one is the right one. Thinking about this, we spotted a small police picket, I immediately pulled to the left (in style with lil strong breaks ). My friend who belongs to an Army family background rolled down the window and asked the cop (in style) who was standing nearest, 'arre suno ye so and so turn kidhar hai', the constable came nearer and replied with respect (yes, surprising!), 'bus sir yahin aage pass mein hee hai'. Taking advantage of the situation, my friend and me again confirmed (as if he is obliged to do so!), he again very politely confirmed, ' han han saab, bus pass mein hii hai'. Then my friend said, ' theek hai, theek hai' and then he even saluted my friend! Jai Hind sir!

Now, after this what! as expected, all of us couldn't control our laughter. later we deliberated as how come a cop on a highway can be so courteous to strangers.

We realized, several factors could have been contributed to this: he seemed a lil drunk, but not too much, a speeding black safari stopping suddenly in style near him, then my friend's army dominating style asking, other windows were rolled up, so he doesn't know who is on middle seat - family of a poor chap LDL or some 'bada saab', etc, etc. I think he wanted that we should leave from there as early as possible, so he hurriedly and politely womitted all the info that we wanted to know!

Anyway, this real incident was shared just to give some amusement to you. On a serious note, I am fully aware of the issues and behaviour of cops that can come up with we travelers, and intend to take all possible precautions.
Old 7th May 2010, 18:16   #73
Senior - BHPian

IMO Mr. LDL he thought that the car must be of some VIP or VVIP going by the reg. plate (UP 32) and the car being a black Safari. To top it up your friend's tone seemed quite similar to that type of person to whom he is accustomed to salute.
Old 7th May 2010, 18:18   #74
OEM
BHPian

Fabulous travelogue. Just a bit of caution...next time, do not park exiting from a curve....even on the kerb. (last picture on this page)

Go down even further and park

Couple of reasons, heard of whiplash of trailer trucks??
And speeding Indians are famous for losing the curve angle and chipping vehicles on the side.

Last edited by OEM : 7th May 2010 at 18:20.
Old 7th May 2010, 18:39   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEM View Post
Fabulous travelogue. Just a bit of caution...next time, do not park exiting from a curve....even on the kerb. (last picture on this page)
Thanks OEM. Yes

Thanks samsag12. I think you are right .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks