Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 19:44   #91
Team-BHP Support

Yes now they show. Previously they were not.
Old 10th May 2010, 20:13   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Yes, What HVK sir said was the precise reason, but, as we later found out, it didn't prove a smart choice. I think during daytime going via Jhansi route still could have taken less time! Now for our upcoming journey, we are sure going to take Khansi route only. Anyway, thanks setuniket for taking time to map the route, this reasoning and consequent value addition by members makes this forum so wonderful.
Indeed LDL, I map the route as I intend to do such long trips in upcoming years as soon as I pick up my new car.

IMO nothing beats the tremendous contribution of HVK sir.
Old 11th May 2010, 18:01   #93
BHPian

Day 3: Story continuing..

An Incident:

En route Shirdi from Aurangabad, an incident happened to us. It was dark and the road which was passing through villages, was being widened and relaid. There were stretches (though small) where there were boulders on the road, so the traffic has to pass through one side (footpath) of the road, sort of one way traffic.

On one such occasion, a local three wheeler and an Omni where coming on such single lane, and I also kept proceeding. Finally, both came in same lane as the main road was 'bouldered'. Auto driver was saying few words and indicating something to us which I didn't understand at first. As it was dark and road under construction, my Hellas were also on, so I thought he is indicating that he can't see anything due to heavy lights from our car, so, I dimmed my lights. Still few words exchanged and both vehicles standing there. Neither they nor we came out of our vehicles. Both parties were getting irritated. They were local village youths/people who I think were returning from nearby town after day's work.

Finally, the auto wala inched forward on to main road, but, few of them started coming out from the auto and I saw, being local their anger getting increased. Though, we carry some 'emergency defense mechanisms', but situation was against us, as they were more then 10 people in 2 vehicles and we 2, so I immediately took a decision and without even discussing with my co-passengers, engaged 1st gear and moved safari in that little space that was made available by those vehicles moving forward. On our left side, as is usual to village-side roads, there was little trench, so the space was very tight. I knew it is not sufficient to pass through without getting scratches, Yet that was a momentous decision, but, I have judged that side trench was very shallow for a safari's wide tyres. I was confident that I can pass through that tight space, so I moved, and as expected driving side got touched by the standing Omni as that was still not completely out of way. It got some sound, but no harm to any one on either side. After coming out from there, my friend asked should we stop and check for scratches, I said, no need, whatever was to happen has happened, we'll stop only at Shirdi. By the sound, I knew there won't be much damage.

Later we kept discussing the incident till Shirdi, and my friend also said, that was a quick and right decision by you in those circumstances, as we were with family, and moreover, when those local folks started to step out of auto, I got worried most for those boulders on the road! Had they hit even one of them, the damage to both us and our safari could have been immense, because of that, I took that decision.

At Shirdi, when My friend started searching/checking with hotels for availability, I got down and checked, and as expected, the scratches were only on driver side plastic claddings, not on body, so nothing much to worry.

Incident commentary over.

The story of Shirdi darshan and further story coming up, followed by Mumbai pics..
Old 11th May 2010, 19:10   #94
BHPian

Story of Day 3 still continuing..

At Shirdi
:A Darshan which was so soothing to our souls and an exciting unplanned drive!

We were told that darshan at Shirdi will be open till 9 pm and there was heavy rush of tourists in those dates due to holidays. We reached there at 7.45, so we thought, we won't get darshan now, hence, better to take hotel and take rest. Get up early, go for darshan at 5 am and then head to Mumbai. My friend was checking hotel after hotel, but we were not getting a satisfactory hotel.

In the process, we reached near the temple complex. Things turned around very quickly there. A few shopkeepers approached us, they told, Sir, you can have darshan in just 20-30 minutes right now! We couldn't beleive, and asked them how come it is possible, as there is so much of rush, and Temple'll close, by the time we are in. They said, no sir, actually, there is no crowd now, it was full whole days for past 3 days, but majority have had darshan and either left or are in hotels. Once convinced, we followed one of them. He guided us to the nearby parking, we hurriedly purchased essential Prasada & other things from his shop, then he guided us to the right entry gate. And WOW! really there were very few people in que, we enthusiastically followed the que and really, got good darshan of Sri Sai Baba before the temple closes! came out, relaxed for some time in temple complex. Cool fresh breeze and a sense of utter satisfaction of having had darshan so easily, which once looked so difficult/ cumbersome due to horror stories of crowd, made us all so fresh and energetic. Even my wife who have been feeling uneasy and weak all through, was full in joy and relief!

We spent some time there and then walked to the parking area, freshend up with there with snacks, juices, water etc. Now what? It was around 9.40 pm. still. We discussed and came to the conclusion that now since we have had good darshan, purpose is fulfilled, so instead of taking two costly rooms, we all were ready to proceed to Mumbai right then! HVK sir has told its a 5 hr drive. I thought, being a new commer, we may take 6 hrs., so from 10 pm, we'll reach at our Mumbai accommodation at 4am. Then we'll have enough time to complete sleep during whole first half of the day till lunch time. That sounded a better option to all of us then taking rooms, unloading, trying to catch sleep, hurriedly getting up early (which was not possible).

So happily, full of enthusiasm, we started to Mumbai from Shirdi at 10 pm. Filled tank and followed the typical night traffic - tourist buses heading to Mumbai.

I thought to have some strong tea at Nasik, but, didn't as at that time was having good momentum of driving. From Nasik, got on to NH3, we all were really enjoying the night drive. Daughter made some initial noises, but soon, settled for a sleep on middle seat in her mother's lap. We stopped for tea at a roadside dhaba (run by a sardarji) for tea. My friend even attended a nature's call in typical truck-wallah's style. Drive after that was also smooth, but, soon after I started little lazy, I asked my friend to look for any tea shop, finally, we stopped at a dhaba again, they prepared special strong tea but, charged Rs. 24 for two cups! Anyway, we needed that, and it served our purpose. After that, I was ok and enjoyed driving, specially, 4 lane Kasara ghats were amazing during night! Roads were newly tarred and super quality with all those glows & markings.

But, our joy was short-lived as near Igatpuri, we faced a heavy traffic jam. It was huge with hundreds of those long trucks lining up! Now, that was something that spoiled our otherwise adventurous night drive. It took over 2 hrs, had to stand there. Finally, we reached our place in Mumbai at 6 am. But, still had enough time to rest during the day. Next two days, family was to take rest during day, , as we had to attend our work.

Day 4,5,6 & 7 we were at Mumbai, attended work with evening sight seeing.
Some random Mumbai pics will follow.
Old 12th May 2010, 17:45   #95
BHPian

Day 4-7:

Some random snaps from Mumbai...to bore you!

And no need to give captions to those popular places!

Ist batch is from Juhu beach
Attached Thumbnails
A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc03402.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc03414.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc03420.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc03422.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc03425.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc03432.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc03438.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 13th May 2010, 19:50   #96
BHPian

Day 4-7:

More snaps from Mumbai...to bore you!

Around Gateway of India
Attached Thumbnails
A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc03562.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc03563.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc03566.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc03569.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc03575.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc03690.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc03715.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc03716.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc03726.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc03730.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc03731.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc03735.jpg  

Old 13th May 2010, 20:12   #97
Senior - BHPian

Great trip, Longdrivelover. I am enjoying the pics. I have a lot of catching up to do!!
Old 15th May 2010, 16:16   #98
BHPian

Thanks C_L. I can understand that.
Old 17th May 2010, 09:53   #99
BHPian

Places visited at Mumbai:

Routine spots (as family was there for the 1st time)

Sidh Vinayaka temple.
Haji Ali Dargah
Juhu beach
Auksha beach
Gateway of India
Elephanta caves
Bandra-Worli sea link
Fashion street
Old 17th May 2010, 10:04   #100
Team-BHP Support

Where are the snaps for Elephenta caves?

Few comments on places to see in Mumbai:

- In Bombay for kids there few places which are just amazing.
- Nehru Science Center
- Nehru Planetarium
- Taraporewala Aquarium

Science center esp. is amazing place to spend time. You wont even realize that 4-5 hours have just passed!

Yes, kids need to be of school going age to enjoy these places.

Last edited by ampere : 17th May 2010 at 10:05.
Old 17th May 2010, 11:18   #101
BHPian

Return Journey:
A thrilling drive and our New Year Gift!

We started return journey on the New Year day. The previous night, I called HVK sir and discussed with him about our return plan. As usual, he gave several tips in few seconds over phone itself. And to top it, he was kind enough to accept our request to meet us on our way next morning!

We started at 9.30am, HVK sir guided us over phone so as to reach Thane via E. Expressway without any hassles. Just can't resist to say a word here about his directions on phone: you'll receive a call or sms surely before the point he asked you to reach for next direction. Amazing clarity and the commitment to help fellow brethren! My Hats off to him for such a kind gesture . And, there was the Master waiting to receive an Apprentice! We had a very pleasant experience spending few minutes with him, and left loaded with all the practical information for whole of our remaining route.
What a way to welcome the new year! does this new year gift means we'll be having driving thrills the whole year! I hope so.

Before, I proceed further, snaps of that moment are in order:
Attached Thumbnails
A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04029.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04035.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04040.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04056.jpg  

Old 17th May 2010, 18:18   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Where are the snaps for Elephenta caves?

Few comments on places to see in Mumbai:
- In Bombay for kids there few places which are just amazing.
- Nehru Science Center
- Nehru Planetarium
- Taraporewala Aquarium
Science center esp. is amazing place to spend time. You wont even realize that 4-5 hours have just passed!
We did take few snaps of Elephanta, but, I think after seeing what MX6 has posted on Magnificent Mah., there is no need to post ours, because, you would not like to have a bad taste after relishing an exotic dinner! hehe

Thanks for adding places to see in Mumbai. Surely, will check them during future visit. This time, somehow could squeeze time (from the work engagements) for above places only.

I find pics are not properly loaded in my previous post! hence uploading them again.
Old 17th May 2010, 19:20   #103
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Aha. Look what LDL states. I'm a small time cook who can dish out some quick fix breakfast sir. Not a 5 * chef! I'm good at making Kichadi!
So if you have any photos of Elephanta which you can upload, please go ahead!
Old 18th May 2010, 14:01   #104
BHPian

Having some problem with photo uploading. May be due to slow speed of our net, trying with reduced size now. Here they are showing as attached. Let's see if they'll show up!
Attached Thumbnails
A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04029.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04035.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04040.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04056.jpg  

Old 18th May 2010, 14:08   #105
MX6
Senior - BHPian

The road seems to be LBS marg/ Ghodbunder road. Your daughter seems to be inspecting the I drive safe sticker on HVKs car.
And the man in light blue shirt is definitely the KING!
Hurray! Long live the king.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks