Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2010, 18:54   #31
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Amazing photos and amazing places. And the tiny venomous guest must have sent shivers up your spine. Nice to know the army officials chased it off instead of killing it. Imagine what all the army guys have to deal with on a regular basis!
Old 13th May 2010, 23:02   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Amazing photos and amazing places. And the tiny venomous guest must have sent shivers up your spine. Nice to know the army officials chased it off instead of killing it. Imagine what all the army guys have to deal with on a regular basis!
^^ Thank you sir, The army guys are even trained to eat snakes. My friend is a Major, he confirmed even the officers are trained to eat snakes, dogs and what not?
Old 15th August 2010, 01:16   #33
BHPian

Lucky to have been able to see so many places of North East in one go.

I stay here but yet to visit the beautiful Tawang hills.

If you dont mind could you share more details on the Nagaland part.
Old 15th August 2010, 10:45   #34
BHPian

Hi Anshuman,

Thanks for sharing this awesome experience you had. NE is really enchanting. The pics were really good. The pic with the snake literally sent a chill down my spine.
Old 4th September 2010, 02:50   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
Lucky to have been able to see so many places of North East in one go.

I stay here but yet to visit the beautiful Tawang hills.

If you dont mind could you share more details on the Nagaland part.
North East is indeed a very nice and unexplored place. Since i did this trip more than 2 years back i do not have much to post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sami316 View Post
Hi Anshuman,

Thanks for sharing this awesome experience you had. NE is really enchanting. The pics were really good. The pic with the snake literally sent a chill down my spine.
Thanks a lot, the Snake was an unexpected visitor.
Old 4th September 2010, 23:17   #36
Joy
BHPian

Very nice travelogue. A bit nostalgic for me.

Guys, around a year back, I compiled some info about Meghalaya from various sources. I am uploading it for anybody who needs some reference. Though, I will be unable to explain most of the places, but for East Khashi hills I will try to provide as much info as possible.

MEGHALAYA.pdf

P.S. I don't know it will be of any help to others or not.
Joy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2010, 23:58   #37
Senior - BHPian

My photo of P T Tso Lake, beyond Tawang, Dec 2001

Peking is 4000 kms, same distance from Bombay where me and my Matiz went from, to this point beyond Tawang on the way to Bum la
Meghalaya, Assam, Nagaland and Arunachal: A Road Trip-91971188203_0_alb.jpg

Last edited by hvkumar : 5th September 2010 at 00:01.
Old 5th September 2010, 04:27   #38
Senior - BHPian

Hi .anshuman
Is this coincidence or what! We meet last night and I find this thread in the morning. Well I have just subscribed to the same and will read at leisure tomorrow.
Ciao
Old 16th May 2013, 20:30   #39
Senior - BHPian

Re: Meghalaya, Assam, Nagaland and Arunachal: A Road Trip

Not sure how I missed this thread. Anyway found this while searching on tbhp for "Sibsagar". Nice snaps of the NE, anshuman. Thanks.

The NE is a treasure trove not known to most folks in the rest of India. Having spent 7 years there, got a chance to visit quite a few of the 7-sisters states.
Was nice to come across Golaghat, Kaziranga etc which we visited sometime in the early 80s. Thanks again.

@anshuman, you mentioned that your friend was posted in Sibsagar, but I don't think you have posted snaps from that place. Or did I miss any ?
If you have any snaps from Sibsagar or places close to it, could you please post them ? We lived in Sibsagar and thus just curious to see how the
place looks like today, some 25+ years later.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 16th May 2013 at 20:32.
Old 16th May 2013, 22:31   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
If you have any snaps from Sibsagar or places close to it, could you please post them ? We lived in Sibsagar and thus just curious to see how the
place looks like today, some 25+ years later.
Here you go, supremeBaleno, some snaps from Sivasagar that I had from a recent trip. All images are probably from the mobile cam though. (Hope Anshuman does not mind my posting these in his thread). Though I don't have pics from the general town area at this moment. Will try to dig some later.

Siva Dol. India's tallest Siva temple. The "kalash" above the temple were supposed to be pure gold.
Meghalaya, Assam, Nagaland and Arunachal: A Road Trip-shiva-dol-front.jpg

Meghalaya, Assam, Nagaland and Arunachal: A Road Trip-shiva-dol.jpg

Rang Ghar, the royal pavillion.
Meghalaya, Assam, Nagaland and Arunachal: A Road Trip-rang-ghar-front.jpg

Meghalaya, Assam, Nagaland and Arunachal: A Road Trip-rang-det.jpg

Tala Tal Ghar, the royal palace.
Meghalaya, Assam, Nagaland and Arunachal: A Road Trip-tala-tal-terrace.jpg

Meghalaya, Assam, Nagaland and Arunachal: A Road Trip-tala-tal-frnt.jpg

Meghalaya, Assam, Nagaland and Arunachal: A Road Trip-tala-tal-det.jpg

Last edited by wanderer4x4 : 16th May 2013 at 22:34.
wanderer4x4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 23:18   #41
Senior - BHPian

@wanderer4x4, I cannot thank you enough for the snaps. Rang Ghar and Karenghar are part of nostalgic memories from years ago. Have to admit though that I could not really place "Siva Dol". Is this the big temple adjoining the Shiva sagar lake from which the town derived the name of Shivsagar / Sibsagar ?

Nazira, a neighbouring town was 10-11kms away IIRC and one of the favourite pastimes as teenagers was to plan a cycle trip to Nazira and back. IIRC we never completed the trip though - would be tired when we were half-way and return back.

Station-char-ali is something I remember from then - ali meaning road in local lingo and char ofcourse standing for 4 - so basically the 4-road junction near the station.
And ofcourse a friend/classmate Ankur Bharali whose folks used to have an Optical/Spectacle shop in town. And ofcourse the Pincode - 785640 - still fresh in memory.

Thanks, anshuman and wanderer4x4 !!!

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 16th May 2013 at 23:19.
Old 16th May 2013, 23:32   #42
BHPian

@supremeBaleno, you are right about the Siva Dol. Its the same Shiva temple beside the lake. In Assamese, Dol means temple.

And BTW, is this spectacle shop located on the Station Road? (I'd seen a couple of them around that road, I think.)

Last edited by wanderer4x4 : 16th May 2013 at 23:34.
wanderer4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 23:56   #43
BHPian

Need advice - Fuel quality in North East States tour

Ok heres the situation. A friend and I have planned a 15 day ride up in AP, Assam and Meghalaya. The tour operator accepted the deposit payment and then merrily informed me that on the past couple of tours he ran, the fuel injected Royal Enfields had broken down due to bad fuel quality (this despite the fact that I had previously informed him that I was going to be on a Duke).
Now Im not sure if this is a con to get me to rent a carb bike from him for the 15 days. So therefore can any of the north east KTM boys share their experience riding in these areas (especially AP). Additionally whats the frequency of fuel bunks on the Bomdila - Tawang section?

I do have the option of riding my friends spare Thunderbird but obviously this would need a lot of work in terms of prep and rides to get used to it so I need to take that call now itself.
Old 20th August 2016, 07:53   #44
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need advice - Fuel quality in North East States tour

I know 2 of my friends did entire NE on their Duke 200 without having fuel related issue. That was in 2012/2013. Ensure you fill in good fuel station, this means, where lots of vehicles flock. Avoid isolated fuel pumps & especially the good looking ones.

If you're so wary, fill fuel when you spot a good one even if its only half tank.

PS - Adulteration happens not just in NE, I've experienced even at Shoolagiri (opp to HP, McD) & right before Auratya, UP
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 08:12   #45
BHPian

Re: Need advice - Fuel quality in North East States tour

It is not an issue in Assam if you stick to the bigger petrol pumps, and try to fill up in the towns/cities rather than in the highways. In meghalaya too.
There are a large number of enfields in the streets here and the RE clubs regularly do rides to meghalaya and AP without any trouble.
Bomdila has a good petrol bunk just as you enter the town and there is a large petrol pump at Jung, which falls between Bomdila and Tawang. Locals say that it is preferable to tank up at jung rather than at d bunk in Tawang.
Hope this helps.
pyrodrive is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed