Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2012, 21:37   #106
KMT
BHPian

Re: Gurgaon - Jim Corbett - Ranikhet - Gurgaon: The Unsatiated Quest

GD

Thanks for sharing these wonderful experiences with us.
Its a bit depressing at times seeing us fritter away the natural gifts god has given us.
At least Tigers are at the top of the heap compared to other animals in terms of conservation.

Here, in and around Coorg, illegal deforestation / migration/uncontrolled tourisim is causing considerable grief to local flora/fauna, with elephants being the big losers (and as a result putting considerable loss/fear to people living around forests).

You must be a real Scorpio fan, with two under your belt. How many KMs have you logged in the older one?
Old 28th July 2012, 22:28   #107
Senior - BHPian

Kumaon in late October

I am planning Kaladunghi/Corbett (Jhirna)/Pangot for late October around Dushera time. One can walk around in the reserve forests around Kaladunghi, and Pangot is famous for birding.

Here is what I am thinking of:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2854914 (Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner)

Would that time work for you to join me for a few days?
Old 30th July 2012, 12:19   #108
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kumaon in late October

Sounds very interesting. The dates generally are:

21st - 25th: Kaladunghi. Roam around in the reserve forests. Visit Corbett for safaris if Jhirna (or Bijraini) is open.

Bijrani/Jhirna or for that matter all the othe zones would be open. The catch is the differentiation between the core & the buffer zone as desired by the SC.

26th, 27th: Pangot

Hmmm...very interesting place

28th - 31st: either forest rest houses within Corbett (if they are open) or Eastern Kumaon. Spend a couple of days in or around Munsiyari.

Nilanjan, I do know it involves bookings etc., in advance. I would wait till the 22nd August to know about the final judgement of the SC on the Tiger tourism. Lemme chalk out my schedule. Shall let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post

I am planning Kaladunghi/Corbett (Jhirna)/Pangot for late October around Dushera time. One can walk around in the reserve forests around Kaladunghi, and Pangot is famous for birding.

Here is what I am thinking of:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2854914 (Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner)

Would that time work for you to join me for a few days?
Old 30th July 2012, 12:32   #109
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kumaon in late October

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Sounds very interesting. The dates generally are:

21st - 25th: Kaladunghi. Roam around in the reserve forests. Visit Corbett for safaris if Jhirna (or Bijraini) is open.

Bijrani/Jhirna or for that matter all the othe zones would be open. The catch is the differentiation between the core & the buffer zone as desired by the SC.

26th, 27th: Pangot

Hmmm...very interesting place

28th - 31st: either forest rest houses within Corbett (if they are open) or Eastern Kumaon. Spend a couple of days in or around Munsiyari.

Nilanjan, I do know it involves bookings etc., in advance. I would wait till the 22nd August to know about the final judgement of the SC on the Tiger tourism. Lemme chalk out my schedule. Shall let you know.
I am planning this as a relaxed jungle/nature trip rather than a safari intensive/sightings driven trip. Planning lots of walks. Even if you can't come for so many days, see if you can make it for a few days.

Thinking of staying at Camp Corbett in Kaladhungi.
Old 7th March 2013, 11:18   #110
BHPian

Dear All,

This thread has been at rest, for some time now. I plan to leave for Corbett in a few days, on my 1.2 Punto. Now, it would be great if someone could let us know what the condition of the road from Moradabad to Kashipur is like, lately. I have heard terrifying stories, but then just second or third hand recounts. Any information from someone who has travelled recently would be helpful.

Best regards,

Ranajay
Old 10th March 2013, 12:05   #111
Senior - BHPian

Moradabad - Thakurdwara was reasonably ok when someone went in December. You can do bursts of 80kmph plus. Thakurdwara - Kashipur was a little slow comparably, plus having to negotiate Kashipur itself. Expect a lot of sundry traffic on this stretch.
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2013, 12:26   #112
BHPian

^^ I'll be be wary of this route. Reason is that the internal roads of UP took a real battering during rains in Jan. I'd traveled from Haridwar to Meerut via Bijnor in December end and the roads were good. Did the same Feb end and the same roads were pathetic. I remember using the brakes more than the accelerator for quite a while! Could be the same story for this route.
lordofgondor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2013, 14:23   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Now, it would be great if someone could let us know what the condition of the road from Moradabad to Kashipur is like, lately. I have heard terrifying stories, but then just second or third hand recounts. Any information from someone who has travelled recently would be helpful.

Best regards,

Ranajay
I went to Corbett last week and this stretch was a nightmare. It took us almost an hour to cross the factory wala area ,the road is non existent and the trucks made it worse.
faithless_1984 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2013, 21:05   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
I went to Corbett last week and this stretch was a nightmare. It took us almost an hour to cross the factory wala area ,the road is non existent and the trucks made it worse.

i leave to corbett on the 27th, what is the best alternative to this stretch?

i am travelling from Gurgaon.
Old 18th April 2013, 21:22   #115

Just back from Corbett on weekend of 6th April
Road update

Gurgaon to Moradabad - Excellent
Moradabad to Thakurdwar - Average
Thakurdwar to Kashipur - Nightmarish
Kashipur to Corbett - Excellent

Took me 6:30 hrs one way
Old 19th April 2013, 10:23   #116
Senior - BHPian

Thank you furhan for this update. May I request you to post a more detailed travelogue with pictures of the entire trip for the benefit of all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by furhan View Post

Just back from Corbett on weekend of 6th April
Road update

Gurgaon to Moradabad - Excellent
Moradabad to Thakurdwar - Average
Thakurdwar to Kashipur - Nightmarish
Kashipur to Corbett - Excellent

Took me 6:30 hrs one way
Old 24th April 2013, 22:53   #117
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue GD sir. Really enjoyed reading it and looking at the pictures as well.
I've been to Corbett 4 times and as luck would have it saw the tiger on my 1st visit and that too in our first safari. But since that time the elusive tiger's remained elusive.
Post your PM I've started reading your travelogues. This was my second. 1st was the Damdama Lake one.
Cheers
harjeev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2013, 10:54   #118
BHPian

HI, can i please have your contact info ? I wish to visit Corbett in October.
Old 29th April 2014, 12:34   #119
BHPian

Amazing thread. Was stuck to it for a while. Amazing description and pictures Gurudutt ji. I am also planning for a trip to corbett in second week of may. Have understood a lot of things, the route, the roads, what to expect and what not to expect. Thanks a lot everyone and especially Guruduttji!! Will share my exeriences here once i am back.
JASMEET MATTOO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 19:50   #120
Senior - BHPian

Since you can't be sent a PM right now, I've sent an email. Do acknowledge if you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASMEET MATTOO View Post

Amazing thread. Was stuck to it for a while. Amazing description and pictures Gurudutt ji. I am also planning for a trip to corbett in second week of may. Have understood a lot of things, the route, the roads, what to expect and what not to expect. Thanks a lot everyone and especially Guruduttji!! Will share my exeriences here once i am back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks