Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2010, 15:44   #16
BHPian

Hey you must have had a fun drive. If you still with MMI, my regards to Manpreet and Sapna (If you know them). Do you think its safe to put out your current coordinates on a public forum or are there plan to change the login details.

Good writeup and it appears that it was not only your folks tracking you .

If you are wondering, how people drive in bangalore, its simple, they find alternate routes :-).
I know the stretch you are mentioning its a completely useless flyover they are building on tumkur road they could have done well, just by widening the roads. When I am drving back from Mlrore road or Tumkur Road I take the Magadi route which is longer but is surely faster.

Last edited by kiranpashtakar : 24th May 2010 at 15:47.
Old 24th May 2010, 16:16   #17
Team-BHP Support

NH63 is one of the best ghat roads in the country today (if not the best!).
You can tank up at Kamat (both man and machine!) before you start at NH63.
Old 24th May 2010, 21:23   #18

Yes, I know Sapna and Manpreet quite well. How do you know them?

Speaking of roads, is there a website that lists out all the expressways in India? The NHAI website is quite useless. Also anyone knows about the new highway numbering system?
Old 25th May 2010, 00:24   #19
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I was actually sitting with HVK tracking you when you crossed Satara. It was like the trueman show! HVK got very excited when he found you moving past Satara. He was commenting, "Shiva said that if he crosses Satara, then he's going to drive all the way to Mumbai".
He wanted to call your number and "bug" you with more inputs. But sadly, couldn't get through your mobile.
But I loved the childish charm in HVK's face when he explained how he kept "Bugging" you giving so many things to see and do on the route that came up while he tracked you.
Readers, reading a live travelogue is one thing. Tracking it, is also one thing. But experiencing that with HVK is altogether another thing!
Old 25th May 2010, 03:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

@shiva338

This tracking gizmo is fantastic. Is it available for all or just limited to company employees. I do a lot of work related highway driving and would love to have something like this hooked up to the built in Nav system(from mmi) in my Cedia. Do elaborate, it will be highly appreciated.
Old 25th May 2010, 05:53   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I was actually sitting with HVK tracking you when you crossed Satara. It was like the trueman show! HVK got very excited when he found you moving past Satara. He was commenting, "Shiva said that if he crosses Satara, then he's going to drive all the way to Mumbai".
He wanted to call your number and "bug" you with more inputs. But sadly, couldn't get through your mobile.
But I loved the childish charm in HVK's face when he explained how he kept "Bugging" you giving so many things to see and do on the route that came up while he tracked you.
Readers, reading a live travelogue is one thing. Tracking it, is also one thing. But experiencing that with HVK is altogether another thing!
Looks like you guys had a whale of a time at the meet. Any plans to come to Bangalore?

EDIT: Just saw the snaps on the Thane thread. Really you had some great time.

Last edited by ampere : 25th May 2010 at 05:57.
Old 25th May 2010, 08:30   #22
Senior - BHPian

Shiva, I find wikipedia has higher quality information about Indian highways than the NHAI web-site.
List of National Highways in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The new highway numbering system was supposed to have been implemented from Apr 1 onwards, but nothing has been heard of it since then.

khoj, we can also track people on the move using Google Latitude, I do that with many of my friends. That is free and only subject to the consent of your friend who you are tracking. Latitude sits atop google maps and you can see both map and satellite images.
Old 25th May 2010, 11:17   #23
BHPian

Oh I missed the whole fun, being late to stumble on this thread. I logged into the tracker and found Shiva's car parked safely somewhere in Parel, Mumbai.
Old 25th May 2010, 13:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
khoj, we can also track people on the move using Google Latitude, I do that with many of my friends. That is free and only subject to the consent of your friend who you are tracking. Latitude sits atop google maps and you can see both map and satellite images.

hvkumar,

Thank you for the tip. I went to the site and have sent request for the link. I will also get the mobile browser switched on when I return to Bombay later this week.

However I see a practical problem in this scenario which would actually hold true specific to my case. See majority of the factories I visit do not allow one to carry the mobile phones in to the premises and get them deposited at the gate. In variably what happens is that I forget to collect it back and remember it only when I need it by which time I could be 5 to 50 kilometers away. What follows is another story. There have been instances where I have left home without the phone. In my circles of friends, relatives and business associates, people know that I dislike cell phones and now have a firm opinion that I forget the phone on purpose.

In view of the above in addition to the phone based service I would absolutely love to have something in my car, built in or stand alone. It is more for the family's peace of mind than navigation.
Old 25th May 2010, 17:13   #25

Khoj, Please send me a note at shivalik [at] mapmyindia [dot] com and I will hook you up with the right folks, who run this tracking stuff. I personally found it really cool (specially since my parents were getting an sms every hour based on where i was - they are not the net savvy types). HV was of great help (specially for a newbie like myself), who has little or no knowledge about Indian roads (it is one thing to work on maps in a nice AC office and quite another to drive down the road - that being said, have done tonnes of driving in the US a long time ago).

But I have to say, it is addictive, once you start driving, you want to go check out so many more places (but alas no vacation days)!!
Old 25th May 2010, 18:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hi Shiva338,
Thank you, will send you a mail.
This sms feature is like icing on the cake. As at their age even my parents are not too keen to boot up save for the weekend video calls with their grandchildren.
Newbies or distinguished it does not matter, once on the road none can do without HVK's guidance.
Old 25th May 2010, 18:32   #27
Team-BHP Support

@shiva338
This feature really looks cool. Plus if this feature is allowed for non-MMI folks, all the better!
Old 25th May 2010, 20:39   #28
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@ampere. Satguide has this tracking too. You can download a free s/w from their site on to your gps mobile. Yearly subscription works to 200 rupees only. So where ever your mobile goes, it's live tracking.
Conversely, HVK has told you about igoogle. I was invited by HVK and now I can see where HVK is and he can see me. However, this option works only when you get on to google in your browser to tell them where approximately you are.
The MMI comes with a tracking device, the cost aspects Shiva may be able to tell you.
I'm waiting for the Nokia C6 to come out. I shall get the Satguide tracking s/w on the phone and take the yearly subscription of 200 bucks!
More than the MMI device, I got smitten by the vehicle journey recorder with GPS that HVK had. Mindblowing device. I see that available in UK for under 200 gbp. But they don't ship internationally. Device is releasing in UK by end June and costs 250 USD. Waiting for that.
Old 25th May 2010, 20:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I got smitten by the vehicle journey recorder with GPS that HVK had. Mindblowing device. I see that available in UK for under 200 gbp. But they don't ship internationally. Device is releasing in UK by end June and costs 250 USD. Waiting for that.
The car video is best bought online for shipping to US addresses. IT will be cheaper.
Old 25th May 2010, 21:15   #30
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Apologies for the typo earlier. The device is releasing in US in end of june and costs 250 USD. Not releasing in UK as posted. It's already available in UK for under 200 gbp. Sadly they ship only within UK.
The US sites ship to India at an added cost. I'll probably source it from some friend in US who is travelling back next month end. Hope he gets hold of it before he gets back.
It's also available in expansis hongkong site. But the shipping costs are too much.

Most Viewed