Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2010, 13:08   #31
BHPian

@ranga:
Can you please post some info on Namakkal temple visit?
I am planning a visit to Namakkal/Trichy/Pillayarpatti next weekend.

Great info.
Old 18th May 2010, 15:45   #32
BHPian

@Ranga: Awesome detailed write-up!!

I am planning for a week long trip starting Saturday 22-05-10 to 31-05-10.

The actual trip is: Bangalore-Erode-Udumalpettai-Tanjore-Kumbakonam-Navagraham temples-Erode-Namakkal-Erode-Bangalore.

I would take-off for the Navagraham temples from Udumalpettai, I plan to go through Dharampuram, Karur, Trichy and the same route thru Tanjavur to reach Kumbakonam.

I was planning to reach Kumbakonam on Wednesday late evening.

Although i picked-up a lot of info from your write-up, I have a few clarificaitons:
Are the roads too bad for a late evening drive to Kumbakonam? I will be travelling with my parents.
Please suggest the best possible route if you are aware of?

Thank you

Last edited by deadguy25 : 18th May 2010 at 15:48.
Old 18th May 2010, 15:47   #33
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
Attached is the detailed Road map of the Navagraha Temple i got from one of my friends.
Thanks, Ranga. This thread is spiritually educative and informative. I have already downloaded and saved the trilingual pdf route map in my laptop for future guidance.

Old 18th May 2010, 15:48   #34
BHPian

Navagraha Temple No 4 - Chevvai (Mars) - Vaitheeswaran Kovil - Sri Vaitheeswarar - 04364 279423

Time @ the temple 10.30
Time spent @ temple -30 mts
From Budha temple : App 15 Kms

The temple is known for Nadi Astrology . There are lots of Astrology based shops in and around the temple . This temple is huge and is pretty big compared to other Navagraha temples

Vaidya means the divine provider of cures in Sanskrit (Vaidya in Sanskrit meaning doctor). The main deities are Shiva as Vaitheeswaran, Parvathi as Taiyal Nayaki and Subramanya as Muthukumara.

In this temple, the (Navagraha) Nine planets by virtue of losing their powers remain in a straight line. This is the place of worship for Sevvai (mars) also known as Sevvai Sthalam or Kuja
Pepper and Salt is offered to the Lord Vaidyanatheswara . Red Cloth is offered for Kuja temple which is on the side of the temple . Ghee lamps are lit in front of Kuja for Kuja shanthi .

Last edited by Ranga : 18th May 2010 at 15:49.
Old 18th May 2010, 16:40   #35
BHPian

Navgraha Temple No 5 - Suriyan (Sun) - Suriyanarkovil - Sri Kasi Viswanathar - 0435 2472349

Time @ the temple 11.15AM
Time spent @ the temple – 25 Mts
From Kuja temple : 32 Kms

The presiding deity in this west facing temple is Suryanarayanain a chariot like vimaanam, representing the sun’s chariot. Sivasuryanaraya is in a standing position with his two consorts, Usha & Prathyusha (Chaya). We have the Guru Bhagawan placed opposite to the Surya idol .

We took a special entrance ticket and entered the Surya temple as we visited Surya temple on a Sunday . Please do not forget to have darshan of Lord Dakshinamurthy which is in front of Surya temple .
Old 18th May 2010, 16:48   #36
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I had terrible stomach pain for over 2 days during my trip to Chidambaram, Tirunallaru, Vaitheeswaran koil, kumbakonam trip almost 15 years back. When I went to Vaitheeswaran koil. I saw a Bairagee with long matted hair sitting in a corner. He called me gave me Kalkandu (rocky candy or rock sugar) as Prasad of the temple. In a matter of mins I was completely cured! The faith takes you there.
I met a Nadi Astrologer who predicted everything about my ancestors correctly and also retold incidents in our past amazingly. He went ahead and predicted that my brother will be an engineer and me a doctor. It ended the other way.
Incidentally I also met a person sitting in a corner all by himself. He squatted in a relaxed posture and was looking at all people walking up and down. We went and spoke to him for a few minutes as he happened to be the famous K Balachander.
For people from north, he's the guy who made the hit movie Ek Duje Ke liye.
Your travelogue has transported me 15 years back Ranga!
Old 18th May 2010, 17:43   #37
BHPian

Navagraha Temple No 6 Sukra (Venus) - Kanjanoor - Sri Agneeswarar - 0435 2470155/2473737

Time @ the temple 11.35 AM
Time spent @ the temple – 20 mts
From Suryan temple : 3 Kms

The special feature of Kanjanoor (Kanjanoor), dedicated to Lord Sukra is that Lord Shiva Himself is worshipped as Lord Sukra. It is thus the manifestation of the truth that everything arises from the Lord and that He pervades all.

Similar to most of the other Navagraha Temples, the presiding deities of Agneeswarar Swami Temple is Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvathi. Lord Shiva is worshiped here as Agneeswarar, as it is said that Lord Agni (Fire God) have worshipped Shiva here. Goddess Parvati is worshipped here as Karpagambal.

Lord Sukra temple is very well decorated .

As we travelled in month of may and it was noon it was very hot , humid and we were losing water like as if we had water taps on our head . Please carry water ( at least 5-6 bottles before u start the temple journey )

Navagraha Temple No 7 Raaghu (North Lunar Node) - Thirunageswaram - Sri Naganathar - 0435 2463354

Time @ the temple 12.30
Time spent @ the temple – 20 mts
From Shukran temple : 26 Kms
Thirunageswaram Raghu Temple, or Sri Naganathaswamy Temple (Sri Raaghu Sthalam), at Thirunageswaram near Kumbakonnam in Tamil Nadu is one of the rare temples in India dedicated exclusively to Lord Rahu one of the Navagraha. Lord Raaghu (The Serpent Deity) is enshrined in the Thirunageswaram Raghu Temple. It is said that the milk that is poured on the Murti (idol) of Lord Rahu here turns light blue color.

This visit was a touch and go . If we were late by 10 mts we could not have Darshan of the lord . Please note that all temples in TN close by 1PM . If we don’t go with in 1PM then we need to wait till 4PM for any other temple visit

Lunch break in Kumbakonnam Meenakshi hotel

We had one of our best lunch in recent times in Meenakshi Hotel . It was a mad rush where we had to wait for 20 mts to have a seat . @ 40 Rs / meal , we had the best lunch of TN here .

Once we had lunch , we started towards Alangudi Dakshinamurthy the Guru temple .From Kumbakonnam Alangudi is approximately 17 Kms .

Navagraha Temple No 8 - Guru (Jupiter) - Alangudi - Sri Aabhatsakayeswarar - 04374 269407

Time @ the temple 4PM
Time spent @ the temple – ½ hr
From Kumbakonnam : 17Kms

The presiding deity of the temple is Sri Aapathsahayeswara or Aaranyeswara, a Swayambu Lingam, and the Goddess is Elavaarkuzhali. Thousands of people flock here to have the dharsan of Lord Dakshinamoorthy.

Indian tradition accords a special reverence to the Guru or the teacher. Dakshinamurthy, in the Saivite system of beliefs is regarded as the ultimate Guru - the embodiment of knowledge and the destroyer of ignorance (as represented by the demon being crushed under the feet of the deity). The Jnana Mudra is interpreted in this way:- The thumb denotes the God and the index finger denotes the man. The other three fingers stand for the three congenital impurities of man viz. arrogance, illusion and bad deeds of the past births. When man detaches himself from these impurities, he reaches God. The Abhaya Mudra, a gesture with the hand lifted above thigh with palm facing out, fingers pointing, is interpreted as His grace upon His students. The rosary or the snake signifies Tantric knowledge. The fire represents illumination, removing the darkness of ignorance.

Dakshinamurti literally means 'one who is facing south (dak[FONT=&quot]ṣ[/FONT]i[FONT=&quot]ṇ[/FONT]a)' in Sanskrit. South is the direction of Death, hence change. In every Siva temple the stone image of Dakshinamurthy is installed, facing south, on the southern circumambulatory path around the sanctum sanctorum. Perhaps, of all Hindu Gods, he is the only one sitting facing south.

We visited the temple and for the first time I had darshan of Lord Dakshinamurthy . I have visited some of the other Navagraha temples in 2000 . We could not visit Alangudi at that time . Being strong followers of Dakshinamurthy , the Guru it was a bliss to be in Alangudi .

Navagraha Temple No 9 Chandran (Moon) - Thingaloor - Sri Kailasanathar - 04362 2360936/262499
Time @ the temple 7.30PM
Time spent @ the temple - 25 mts
From Alangudi : 17Kms back to Kumbakonam 43 Kms - App 60 Kms from Alangudi and takes app 2Hrs

Kailasanathar Temple, the second of the 9 Navagraha Temples in Tamil Nadu, dedicated to Lord Chandra (Moon God), the second graha of the Navagrahas. This Chandra Navagraha Stalam is located at Thingaloor which is about 8 km from Tiruvaiyaru near Thanjavur in Tamilnadu. Thingaloor is named after the Tamil word, ‘Thingal’, which means Chandra or Moon. As most of the other Navagraha Temples of Tamil Nadu, Kailasanathar Temple is also a Shiva Stalam and the main deities worshipped here are Kailasanathar and Goddess Periyanakiamman.

When we reached this temple , it was late 7.30PM and i was driving non stop from morning 6 AM . I relaxed a bit here after small road driving from morning .

We finished our darshan in Thingaloor and then started towards Tanjavur . On the way we get thiruvyaar the birth place of Thyagaraja . As it was very late night , and we were tired we started towards Tanjavur .

I faced the same problem in Tanjavur in checking with a hotel for dinner and stay for the night . As i went through the town , i went out of the town and went towards Trichy . Even my family were all tired and did not want to travel further . I some how reached Trichy and went straight to Hotel Anand in Trichy , checked if they had rooms for our stay . With a +ve info on rooms being available , we just parked our vehicle and went for dinner. Having finished dinner we went to our rooms , unpacked , dropped dead and slept like LOGS .....
Old 18th May 2010, 19:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
Are the roads too bad for a late evening drive to Kumbakonam? I will be travelling with my parents.
Please suggest the best possible route if you are aware of?
From Karur side, you don't have much of a choice of routes. It is Trichy, Thanjavur and Kumbakonam.

Karur - Trichy roadwork is going on. The good and bad stretches alternate without warning. Take care in that stretch. Again Trichy - Thanjavur expect a lot of deviations, but the road conditions are better.

Since my only visit is to Thirunallar, I stay at Thanjavur and take the Nagapattinam highway to Thirunallar. So no idea about the Thanjavur Kumbakonam stretch.

On April 21st, the Trichy byepass to Thanjavur Hotel Oriental Towers (59kms) was done in a running time of 77 minutes (45.97kph average speed) between 1627 and 1805 hours.

On 22nd, Tiruchi - Thirunallar was done via Nagapattinam (113km) in 129 minutes (52.56kph average speed) between 0508 and 0717 hours non stop.

Since I did not mark the Karur separately, can't give you the distance or timing for that.
Old 18th May 2010, 19:40   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
@ranga:
Can you please post some info on Namakkal temple visit?
I am planning a visit to Namakkal/Trichy/Pillayarpatti next weekend.
You've the answers here that was asked by you earlier. Just wondering if that wasn't useful or require more information on what terms.

Last edited by aargee : 18th May 2010 at 19:42.
Old 18th May 2010, 19:45   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I had terrible stomach pain for over 2 days during my trip to Chidambaram, Tirunallaru, Vaitheeswaran koil, kumbakonam trip almost 15 years back. When I went to Vaitheeswaran koil. I saw a Bairagee with long matted hair sitting in a corner. He called me gave me Kalkandu (rocky candy or rock sugar) as Prasad of the temple. In a matter of mins I was completely cured! The faith takes you there.
Had been to this temple one and a half years back as part of kid pilgrimage . It was raining and drive was amazing. I did not drive all the way to Bangalore. We have relatives at Mayiladuthurai. Took a train from there to Bangalore.

But yes the temple was amazing and so were the surrounding places. The sheen of the leaves were brighter in the rain !

Last edited by ampere : 18th May 2010 at 19:47.
Old 18th May 2010, 22:02   #41
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
On the way we get thiruvyaar the birth place of Thyagaraja .
Small correction. Thyaga brahmam was born in Thiruvaarur and not thiruvaiyaaru. His samadhi is there in thiruvaiyaaru and the house he lived is also there. To commemorate that, the Thyagaraja Aaradhana is held there every year in January in Thiruvaiyaaru.

Incidentally all the three greats (the musical trinity - Thyaga Brahmam, Syama Sastri and Muthuswami Dhikshitar) were born in Tiruvaarur. All three lived in Thiruvaiyyaaru in a street I believe called as Thirumanjana veedhi. (guess it's 3 adjacent streets).
Muthuswami Dhikshitar's parents prayed at Chidambaram for a kid and he was born.
Thyaga brahmam is named after the Shiva, Sri Thyagaraja, who resides in Thiruvarur temple.
If you see the movie Thillana Mohanambal, they challence thillana (played in raaga kaanada) is staged in the temple in Thiruvaarur (but a setting in the movie) in front of the sannidhi of Thyagaraja Swami, as per the challenge posed by both Sivaji and padmini in the opening scene.
Sivaji (Sikkal Shanmuga sundaram) says, Let's have the challenge right here and right now.
Padmini (Mohana) replies, not here, we'll have it in Thiruvarur, in the sannidhi of Thyagaraja (Shiva).
Whew. Enough of OT. But yes, Thiyagaraja was not born in Thiruvaiyaaru. He was born in Thirivaarur which is also in Tanjore District! Tanjore is a place sacred for Carnatic music!

Last edited by MX6 : 18th May 2010 at 22:07.
Old 18th May 2010, 23:56   #42

This is one Trip Which I had done Thrice(all One Day Trip from Chidambaram) and would do whenever I get a chance .
A small Piece of info for Future Travellers to Suriyanar Kovil(Temple).

Before Visiting Suriyanar Temple(Sun) one MUST the temple at Thirumangalagudi which is just 1km from the temple. There is a note in the Sun temple about this.

"Devotees set to Suriyanar Temple to worship the Sun God should visit Thirumangalangudi Prananadeshwarar & Mangalambika for relief of adverse effects of the nine planets (Navagrahas)".

Thirumangalakudi/Suriyanar Kovil can be reached from both the sides if you come from Aduthurai side(Kumbhakonam - Myladuthurai Road) or from Thirupanandal side(Gangaikonda cholapuram kumbhakonam road).

Just for your Info. Sorry for the OT.

A Small Info on Suriyanar Kovil for future travellers. It is a MUST to visit Thirumangalakudi(1 km from Suriyanar Kovil Temple) and worship Prananadeshwarar & Mangalambika FIRST and then visit Suriyanar kovil as Sun God had got rid of his sins by worshipping Prananadeshwarar & Mangalambika.

This temple is very much accesible by road from both Aaduthurai(Kumbakonam- Myladuthurai road) and Thirupanandhal (Kumbakonam - Gangaikondacholapuram road).

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th May 2010 at 00:35. Reason: Back to back posts, EDIT the original post once approved instead. Thanks
Old 19th May 2010, 08:55   #43
BHPian

@trrk: Thank you .
Old 19th May 2010, 11:15   #44
BHPian

@ MX6

Thanks for the correction on Thyagaraja's birthplace . We are a family who love carnatic classical and strong followers of Thyagaraja and others
Old 19th May 2010, 11:45   #45
BHPian

@argee:
Sorry for OT. I just wanted to know more of temples in Namakkal. Because, I plan to visit Namakkal Anjaneyar/Narasimha temples. Wanted to know the details of temple timings and others.

I am very clear with the route. No issues.

Most Viewed