Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2010, 11:51   #46
Senior - BHPian

This is a very interesting thread.
Lots of information from Ranga, Aargee as well as MX6 and others
I intend to do this temple circuit some time this year.
it would be very useful.

rated 5 star.
Old 19th May 2010, 11:59   #47
BHPian

Day 3 :

We got up on Monday morning, had a nice break fast in Hotel Anand and check out Hotel Anand . We had a BP Petrol Pump next to our Hotel . We filled disel full tank for our return journey and started our journey back to bangalore via Namakhal

THe BP bunk was filling Nitrogen for 5Rs / tyre . When i checked out he told me that my tyres had normal air filled and so we need to take this out and then refill it with Nitrogen .

As it was already 10 AM and we got up late due to previous days travel , we decided we will head to bangalore and not waste time for the Nitrogen Air fill . What excited me was they were charging 5Rs / Tyre and in bangalore they charge crazy prices for the same ....

Temple No 12 Visit - Lakshmi Narasimha Temple -Namakhal

Lord Lakshminarashimha is sitting inside the Cave temple of Saligrama hill on a Rathna Simhasanam (Golden chair with all precious gems) in Veerasa posture facing west direction. Veerasana is one of the Yoga posture, in which body remains stiff and straight and mind remains strong and brave. Lord Lakshminarashimha facing west direction considered as one of the special feature of this temple, which will give devotes immense courage and power.

He is decorated with Karanda Maghudam (Special design of Golden crown), golden earrings, and wildflower garland and sandal paste on his body. He is having four hands with Prayoga Chakram on his top right hand (Chakram which is ready to use) and Pancha Sanyam on top left hand (white conch). His down right hands is with Aahwana Muthra, like inviting devotees with assurance and kept his down left hand on his left Knees. Goddess Mahalskhmi resides on his right chest (Sreevatsa Lakshmi).

He is wearing Saligrama Haram with 108 saligramams and having Velli Pirambhu (Silver stick) which is used to punish demons, nullify the evils sprit and clear black magic.

God is sitting hear after the Hiranya Samharam, but with the same angriness and rude eyes. His golden eyes and brave structure in a dark cave with the lights of ghee lamp might fearsome everybody at the first sight.

God Lakshminarashimha is surrounded by Sanakan, Sanathanan, Suryan, Chandran, Bramha and Siva. Sanakan and Sanathanan (sons of Bramha) is always conveying the happenings in the world in a secrete manner. Suryan and Chandran is always doing Chamara Samarpanai (fanning) to reduce his angriness. Lord Bramha and Siva came down to Namakkal as Devotees to have Dharsan of Lord Lakshminarashimha. Because of Hiranya samharam, (killed King Hiranya with Gods’ nails.

This is one of the special temple with the merit of Thirumurthy Sthalam, (trinity) in which Lord Brahma, Shiva and Vishnu resides in the same temple and situated in the same golden chair.

This Cave temple is one of the best example of the architecture and sculpture intelligence of Pallava’s Kingdom. This cave is really big in size and designed by craving as roof, floor and pillars.

Last edited by Ranga : 19th May 2010 at 12:00.
Old 19th May 2010, 12:11   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
@argee:
Sorry for OT. I just wanted to know more of temples in Namakkal. Because, I plan to visit Namakkal Anjaneyar/Narasimha temples. Wanted to know the details of temple timings and others.

I am very clear with the route. No issues.
Hey Blackstallion,

Here are some list of temples that I know...

1) Sri Anjaneya Temple‎
2) Narasimmar Namagiri Amman Temple‎ (Just opposite to Anjaneya Temple‎)
3) Ranganathar temple‎ behind Namagiri Amman Temple‎

But dont miss Anjaneya Temple‎ - Namakkal Anjaneyar temple has more than 1500 Years history . The fort of Namakkal is guarded by a giant Anjaneya. The Anjaneya in this kshethra is eighteen feet. One plus point is that you can visit the Anjaneya Temple even if its closed as its a eighteen foot tall, you can see him from the temple gates clearly he looks so majestic.

More temple info on - -::- Namakkal Namagiri Narashimha Swami & Hanuman Temple . . ! -::-

Usually the temples are open between 6 AM - 1 PM and 4 PM - 7/8 PM, you will find good crowd on Fridays and weekends.
Old 19th May 2010, 12:22   #49
BHPian

Temple No 13 - Namakhal Anjaneya Swamy temple

This temple is opposite to the Lakshmi Narasimha temple .

As we enter the temple , it was raining and water was falling directly on the Hanuman statue. There is no roof on Hanuman and this remains open .

Background on the Hanuman Temple

In this temple, Lord Sri Hanuman is called as “ Narashimha Bhaktha Hanuman “ means “ Divine Devotee of Lord Sri Narashimha “. His hands folded with obedience, his tail placed on top of his head resembling obedience, and Sri Hanuman always chants the holy names of Lord Sri Hari with his Japa Mala ( A garland prepared with herbs used for counting ). ( Hanuman & Narasimha temple are opposite to each other)

According to the info available from the temple ,
Lord Sri Hanuman don’t like roof over him, would like to stay in open sky. In past centuries, many people tried many times to build roof for Sri Hanuman, but Lord Hanuman didn’t accept it. For one of the devotees, in dream, Sri Hanuman declared as follows: “My supreme master Lord Sri Narashimha stays inside cave. There is no roof for him as Hill is the natural roof by itself. Since, my master doesn’t have the roof, I don’t want to stay under the roof. Let me live in open sky and do the service for Lord Narashimha for ever”.

Devotees offer sacred tulasi garlands, sweet-scented betel garlands and flower garlands for decorating Sri Hanuman. Devotees offer milk, ghee, honey, sugar and nuts
Old 19th May 2010, 12:54   #50
BHPian

@ranga:
Great information and very detailed out as well.
Please post some pics as well. Eagerly waiting.
Old 19th May 2010, 17:01   #51
BHPian

@ deadguy
why do u want touch Karur to reach Trichy?

If u are planning a morning journey , pass through Musri . The Cauvery flows next to the road and is a beautiful sight .

If u visiting Erode , its near to Tirchungode Ardanarishwaran temple . U can visit this temple .

U can also visit Bhavani on the banks of cauvery . We normally stop @ bhavani while going to Shabari malai .

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
@Ranga: Awesome detailed write-up!!

I am planning for a week long trip starting Saturday 22-05-10 to 31-05-10.

The actual trip is: Bangalore-Erode-Udumalpettai-Tanjore-Kumbakonam-Navagraham temples-Erode-Namakkal-Erode-Bangalore.

I would take-off for the Navagraham temples from Udumalpettai, I plan to go through Dharampuram, Karur, Trichy and the same route thru Tanjavur to reach Kumbakonam.

I was planning to reach Kumbakonam on Wednesday late evening.

Although i picked-up a lot of info from your write-up, I have a few clarificaitons:
Are the roads too bad for a late evening drive to Kumbakonam? I will be travelling with my parents.
Please suggest the best possible route if you are aware of?

Thank you
Old 19th May 2010, 17:04   #52
Team-BHP Support

The other temple circuit which one can do is go south of Madurai.

Around Madurai you will find: (Apart from Madurai Meenakshi)

- Pilliarpatti
- Pazhamudircholai

On the way to Rameshwaram you will many place worth visiting.
The one I liked the most: Sethukarai

Very close to Ramnad there is a Ram Temple where he is depicted as taking rest; in a "Darba Shayanam" poture.

Dont exactly remember the name of the temple. But was very nice. Its very close to the sea. The boatman takes you into the sea, a good 1.5 km to show the pillar formations of "Ram Sethu". Not sure what those formations were wen I went, but the whole experience was amazing.

The whole of Madurai-Rameshwaram route has so many culturally rich temples, but many do not know about these. The other place is Tiruchendur, but its off this route a bit.
Old 19th May 2010, 17:08   #53
BHPian

Due to some reasons i could not take photographs during this trip . U all might laugh at me , i had taken my digital camera and had left the SD card in my laptop slot . So i had a digital camera in hand with no SD card in it . I had learn my lesson and felt very bad about it. I love photography and travel photography is one my hobbies . It was such a bad feeling that i felt like going back to Bangalore when i realized my folly ....

When i informed to some of my friends who stay in TN , some of them have sent related photographs of the whole temple circuit that i visited . They are all high quality photographs related to the above temple circuit . I will post them as i am still receiving it from my friends .

I will visit the Srirangam circuit once again in near future and will upload very detailed photographs for reference
Old 19th May 2010, 17:12   #54
BHPian

@ Ampere

U are exactly right . I want to Visit Rameshwaram circuit next .

I went through a travelogue of Rameshwaram circuit and it was amazing . The Dhanushkoti pics were excellent .

The best will be to cover

1 . Madurai and related temples in the vicinity
2. Rameshwaram
3. Kanyakumari
4. If possible we can also visit Palani
5. While comming back we can look at Bhavani , Tirichongode Ardanarishwara temples

We can also look at Kerala - Guruvayur . This circuit is also interesting as we have many temples to cover .

Mods

Please merge both of the threads .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The other temple circuit which one can do is go south of Madurai.

Around Madurai you will find: (Apart from Madurai Meenakshi)

- Pilliarpatti
- Pazhamudircholai

On the way to Rameshwaram you will many place worth visiting.
The one I liked the most: Sethukarai

Very close to Ramnad there is a Ram Temple where he is depicted as taking rest; in a "Darba Shayanam" poture.

Dont exactly remember the name of the temple. But was very nice. Its very close to the sea. The boatman takes you into the sea, a good 1.5 km to show the pillar formations of "Ram Sethu". Not sure what those formations were wen I went, but the whole experience was amazing.

The whole of Madurai-Rameshwaram route has so many culturally rich temples, but many do not know about these. The other place is Tiruchendur, but its off this route a bit.

Last edited by Ranga : 19th May 2010 at 17:13.
Old 19th May 2010, 17:26   #55
MX6
Senior - BHPian

There is a hidden gem in a place called Devadanapatti. It comes on the route from vathalagundu to kodaikanal.
Legend has it that the goddess came in the dream of a person and said that she's coming in a box, in the river Manjalar. She needs to be "housed" somewhere.
The person woke up and traced the path that he saw in his dream. He reached a place where he saw the box stuck amongst bamboo shoot in river Manjalaar. He opened it and saw a baby girl.
Built a temple with seven doors for her as per instruction he got in his dream.
The goddess is Kamakshi, also called as Moongil Anai Kamakshi (moongil = bamboo and anai = dam). The bamboo shoots stopped the box from floating along further and hence the name.
Hence the name of the village. Devadana petti (box that came as an offering from god) which finally became devadanapatti.
Check the temple out for experiencing diving presence.
So people who do go to Kodai, just stop by this temple for atleast 5 - 10 mins. There's a lot of great stuff associated with this small temple.
Old 20th May 2010, 16:10   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
@ deadguy
why do u want touch Karur to reach Trichy?

If u are planning a morning journey , pass through Musri . The Cauvery flows next to the road and is a beautiful sight .

If u visiting Erode , its near to Tirchungode Ardanarishwaran temple . U can visit this temple .

U can also visit Bhavani on the banks of cauvery . We normally stop @ bhavani while going to Shabari malai .
Hi Ranga,

Okie, I will take the Musiri route to touch Trichy.
The main focus point this time seems to be the Navagraham temples and Thirumanjery (i am not sure of the spelling).

Trrk has given useful info on the oncdition of certain stretches of road based on my post here.

If there is any specific stretch of road to watch-out for please let me know.

Thank you,

P.S: Your write-up is awesome!
Old 20th May 2010, 17:18   #57
BHPian

Srirangam - Photographs -

All

Below is the first set of Sri rangam Photos

Will send other shortly
Attached Thumbnails
Srirangam- Tanjavur - Navaragraha Temple - Travelogues-cauvery-view-sri-rangam.jpg  

Srirangam- Tanjavur - Navaragraha Temple - Travelogues-ranga-god-..jpg  

Srirangam- Tanjavur - Navaragraha Temple - Travelogues-sir-rangam-temple.jpg  

Srirangam- Tanjavur - Navaragraha Temple - Travelogues-sirrangam-saptaprakaram-gopurams.jpg  

Srirangam- Tanjavur - Navaragraha Temple - Travelogues-sri-rangam.jpg  

Srirangam- Tanjavur - Navaragraha Temple - Travelogues-srirangam-gopuram.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Ranga : 20th May 2010 at 17:35.
Old 20th May 2010, 17:46   #58
BHPian

I also wanted to quickly add about the Sapta prakara seva done in Srirangam . This seva includes going around the temple from the 7th paraka to the first prakara .This is supposed to do be done in early morning to avoid harsh weather and to do the seva . Imagine u will have to do a complete round on the 7th Prakara ( Round ) where u will be going around 156 Acres of land . So the 6th one will be a shorter round and the 5th will be a bit shorter and like wise u will come to the first parakara of the temple .

My mother has done this Saptha prakara seva twice and suggested me to do the same during this visit.
As i did not sleep well due to the summer weather , i could not get up to do the same . If some one is interested , suggest this to be done like very early morning .Start around 4AM

Why 7 Prakaras ?

The temple of Srirangam is situated at 10 degrees 52’N and 78 degrees 42’ E towards the southern tip of India on an Island formed by two arms of the River Cauvery. The temple covers a vast area of about 6, 31,000 Sqm. (156 Acres). The temple consists of seven Concentric rectangular enclosures round the sanctum sanctorum. The temple of Srirangam is the only one in India with seven enclosures, a sacred symbolic number which for present day Vaishnava believers represents either the seven centers of Yoga, or a reference to the seven elements making up the human body, in the center of which dwells the soul.
Old 20th May 2010, 18:04   #59
MX6
Senior - BHPian

The two branches, for the un-initiated, are called as cauvery and kollidam. Kollidam translates to space for filling up. It seems that this place can soak up and fill up any amount of water discharged in cauvery without flooding. Hence the name Kollidam

And Ranga, why is your name mentioned repeatedly in the first photograph?
Old 20th May 2010, 20:10   #60
BHPian

@ MX6

There is a saying in Tamil . I am not good in writing tamil in English .Still give it a try

"Kambame Thanni ( Use the Pillars as Water ) Pongale Prasadam ( Pongal is the best prasadam available around in the literal sense Rangane Daiwam - Lord Ranga is the God .

This saying is used in many times while eating Pongal . In a typical sense it says pongal is the best prasadam . There is so much of Ghee in it that u have to wipe yourself on a pillar instead of water and ultimately
"Srirangam ranga is the lord "

To make sense out of this when u go to Srirangam temple , don't forget to eat the Sakkar pongal sold in front of the Ranga temple entrance supplied by the Srirangam temple . One plate @ 6 Rs is a steal and the taste is so great , u will have it in ur stomach till u reach Tajnavur

Last edited by Ranga : 20th May 2010 at 20:13.

Most Viewed