Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2010, 13:00   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I seldom call people. ... I use my mobile more to play tom and jerry game during free time.
Hmm.. but, he called me once during our south trip .

BTW. Nice morally encouraging cycle story, Star. Good work by you and your daughter, as others have already written. I also feel, instead of cursing our system, society, world; it makes more sense to actually start action at our end in whatever way possible/feasible.
Old 9th August 2010, 21:51   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
I also feel, instead of cursing our system, society, world; it makes more sense to actually start action at our end in whatever way possible/feasible.
Aap ne laakh fateh ki baat kahi hai.
"your words are worth hundred thousand victories"

I would like to share one more experience of mine. I was in Delhi last week friday. it was a 22 hour DAY for me from 3:30 AM on friday till 1:30 AM on saturday

one good thing i observed and learnt during this 22 hours hectic day is about people's passion and belief in mother Ganga and Lord Shiva.

Yes, I am talking about a pligrimage called Shiv Kavad which gets celebrated between July 28th till Aug 8th, where in lacs of devotes go to Haridwar and Hrishikesh and bring back with them Gangajal to their respective homes/villages and then worship mother Ganga.

I am told most of the people walk back the 200-250 KMs distance carrying the water containers on their shoulders. They are not allowed to keep it on the floor till they reach their homes.

I was told that the roads to haridwar would be closed for vehicle traffic during these 8-10 days. i also found that there was a section of the road cordened off for people to walk. I also found there were shelters every KM for the walkers to rest. I also found some mobile shelters (viz trucks).
I found even young kids doing this trip as well as few people walking barefooted. hats of to the passion and belief.

i have few images which i am attaching here.

Somebody carrying light loads on thier shoulders
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-060820103499.jpg

Some one carry heavy loads
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-060820103500.jpg

There are places like this where they can rest
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-060820103503.jpg

It is not just adults even kids do this very regularly
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-060820103519.jpg

There are mobile shelters too
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-060820103524.jpg

Some of them are wonderfully decorated
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-060820103536.jpg

Another example
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-060820103538.jpg

some of them are enacting the role of boy shravan who carried his parents on thirtha yaatra.
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-060820103540.jpg

some of them go as couples as well.
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-060820103541.jpg

and bare footed too..imagine doing 250 KMs barefooted.
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-060820103542.jpg

"Can Do, Will Do"
Hats off to the passion and commitment these people demonstrate.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 9th August 2010 at 22:05.
Old 10th August 2010, 09:29   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Aap ne laakh fateh ki baat kahi hai.
"your words are worth hundred thousand victories"

I would like to share one more experience of mine. I was in Delhi last week friday. it was a 22 hour DAY for me from 3:30 AM on friday till 1:30 AM on saturday

one good thing i observed and learnt during this 22 hours hectic day is about people's passion and belief in mother Ganga and Lord Shiva. Yes, I am talking about a pligrimage called Shiv Kavad
Thanks Star. I really mean it.

Taking liberty here to share a similar 'kuchh meetha' example from our side. (Hope you dont mind using the thread). Our daughter's school (A British period reputed but simple Convent that has maintained its originality and purity) also runs a parallel school for less privileged children. They ask parents of their pupils to contribute (purely voluntarily, without any pressure or even pursuing it). We have ticked this option to adopt a child for education at the time of our daughter's admission. Now we have received a form from the school, shall go to school this week, submit the form and Rs. 1500/- per year (just so little is enough to make difference in someone's life!). This school, unlike the hi-fi public schools (or shall I say money-spinners!!), preaches values of simplicity even for their mainstream children. And you know, what the school wrote when they sent the form!! Just one line: 'Dear Parents, Kindly send back the form if you are not interested'! nothing else!

I really like their approach and simplicity. At the same time, on a personal note, even when we'll be doing it, it'll remain too small a step, little more then the lip service, so have some hidden desire to do something similar to the less-privileged society on a bigger/ more organized way later in life! Let's see what is in store!

Sorry for going lil OT and personal.

Now about what that pilgrimage 'Shiv Kavad'. Oh! you brought back our memories of being a witness to those scenes since childhood. Actually,both me and wife belong to the heart of that land (western UP), have seen (during our visits to paternal village during summer vacations) how crazy our cousins used to get during this season, to go to that pilgrimage, even against the wishes of the elders!

Yes, the spirit, the passion, comes (in this case) from a combination of 'bhakti with fun/thrill factor'.

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 10th August 2010 at 09:32.
Old 10th August 2010, 20:44   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Thanks Star. I really mean it.

Taking liberty here to share a similar 'kuchh meetha' example from our side.
(just so little is enough to make difference in someone's life!).
Yes, the spirit, the passion, comes (in this case) from a combination of 'bhakti with fun/thrill factor'.
Hi LDL,

aapne laakh fateh ka kaam kiya hai
(you have done such a good work worth hundred thousand victories)

Vidya daan (giving or enabling eduction) is much bigger/important than jeevan daan (giving birth or saving lives)

it actually enables a (educated) person to live with self respect and pride, without being solely dependent on others. Also it enables education of his/her next generation.
Old 29th August 2010, 12:02   #200
Senior - BHPian

Received the below image as a forward

Name:  Husband care.bmp
Views: 1381
Size:  553.8 KB

This could be a perfect way of solving my 2 month long barbeque summer every year.

I was imagining what all could be there in this "HUSBAND CARE CENTER"
In quick time I imagined some essential, engaging, enhancing and enriching experiences, i should look forward in such HCC. I take liberty to type them here for records sake

Essential
----------
Alternate home experience (home food, enviornment etc)
Takes care of basic support (laundry, spare time activities etc)

Engaging (which is Essential + following)
-----------------------------------------
Entertainment (TV, Movies, Music)
Reading (Books, Magazines, etc)
help with hobbies etc

Enhancing (which is Engaging + following)
------------------------------------------
Games (Outdoors, Indoors)
Activities (Community, NGO, Self Help, Adventure etc)
Projects (DIY, Real Life Experiements etc)
Learning new skills

Enriching (which is Enhancing + following)
------------------------------------------
Learning new things which one has never done before
Refreshed way of living (art of living, getting physically and metally fitter etc)
Re-habilitation of the mind and soul after years of stressful work/life

I already see some of these things being offered in bits and pcs, i see that this could be a good business idea for the future.

BTW, i also got some naughty ideas, but i can not share them on a public forum, but i am sure there would be people who want to experience those naughty ideas (ofcourse with some limits and ethics).
Old 29th August 2010, 12:31   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Received the below image as a forward

Attachment 415021

BTW, i also got some naughty ideas, but i can not share them on a public forum, but i am sure there would be people who want to experience those naughty ideas (ofcourse with some limits and ethics).
Is that picture from Thailand?

I can imagine that naughty idea!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks