Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2010, 16:57   #31
BHPian

Thanks MX6 and Star.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Personally i liked your hanging from the rope by a knot as well as your son's picture with the icecream. It appears he is thinking "abhi main ise kaise khaoon ?"
Bang on Star. Actually I and my wife also didn't knew how to help him with that particular ice cream. We finally figured out though .
Old 20th June 2010, 13:53   #32
BHPian

5/26 – Our first brush with the world called New York

It was our first rendezvous with New York today. Saying I was excited would be an understatement. After hearing and seeing so much about New York, it was almost a pilgrimage for me. New York has been immortalized in so many ways that I don’t even to begin listing them.

My son and I, as we leave…
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7741.jpg

We then boarded a Metro Bus to a subway station
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7742.jpg

Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7743.jpg

As we came out from the Grand Central, the first sign that I saw was an Om. I was already feeling better.
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7745.jpg

Note:
My two cents on how I planned my trips. Continuing the tradition from my previous important travels, after some research I bought this book - The Best Things to Do in New York City: 1001 Ideas. I must say it is a beautiful book.

Then I went thru this dilemma of whether I should take the Bus Tour or not. I was sure that I want to take a night tour on the open bus – it was the only recommended bus tour on the book as well. But the price difference between a two day all inclusive tour and just the night tour is almost nonexistent. I finally decided to buy a two day bus tour. As I had a lot of time, I thought it would be easy of getting familiar and then use remaining days to explore as needed.

But the most important thing that I would recommend is to buy a New York Pass. I saved 150 USD per head in three days just because I purchased New York Pass.

We began with the uptown tour.
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7746.jpg

Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7756.jpg

I was a little fickle with the camera for first half of the day. But I settled down later in the day. Please don’t mind if you think I was shooting unimportant things…
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7752.jpg

Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7753.jpg

Our first hop off was the Time Warner Center - Columbus Circle. It was already noon – we had plans to enjoy some food and get some views of New York.
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7778.jpg

Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7779.jpg

Before we hopped off, the bus tour guide announced some Hollywood biggies that stay or have an apartment right in Time Warner Center. And this magnificent Trump Group Hotel at Columbus Circle adds to it.
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7760.jpg

The circle itself is a great place to spend time. There are all kind of people doing all kind of things. Love birds, love triangles, people just reading books, basking in the sun, looking worried, skate boarding, trying to propose love, impress upon, etc. I hope you will notice the guy and lady on either side of the picture.
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7788.jpg

Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7773.jpg

My son is always up to his mischiefs and here he goes…
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7765.jpg

A view from inside
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7772.jpg

No wonder obesity has became one of the wide spread decease; or maybe I couldn’t appreciate the obese statues…
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7767.jpg

We had our lunch at Whole Foods in the basement – a nice pizza (sold on weight) and their elaborate salad bowl.

In Manhattan (mostly downtown), you can use this tricycles to go around.
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7790.jpg

We then decided to walk to 5th Avenue. And this antique shop on the way caught my attention. That red lamp was so beautiful, so were some of the chandeliers.
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7793.jpg

And here we are at the Tiffany’s.
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7799.jpg
Go to Tiffany’s at your own risk and only if you have a solid heart. As we entered the shop, we were greeted by two big men – they gave us a warm welcome but looked like bouncers to me.

After carefully looking around I liked one gold (yes that’s Indian to like yellow metal) chain with a beautiful pendant – more like a mini necklace. The guy at the exhibit was courteous. He helped us trying it on. He then said it is 18K gold and gold weight is 21.xx grams. I started calculating and almost thought that this could be a perfect gift (which I have never given before), I can buy for my beautiful wife. But I made the mistake of asking the price – his reply 4700 USD. He said it is all diamond cutting. I sure could see the distinct glitter but the price also glittered my heart into many pieces.

My wife is surely braver than me. She went and asked price of another necklace – 37000 USD only. We knew Tiffany would be costly. But this is something. We couldn’t gather courage to go past the first floor – Tiffany has 7 floors IIRC.

We wondered why it has to be so costly. But then look at this gun that Tiffany designed for America's rich in 1920s. I took this picture in one of the museums that I visited (more from the museum on day4). They charge not only for the diamond cutting but their unparalleled legacy.
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn8235.jpg

Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7800.jpg
5th Avenue is great place to shop. Shops labeled with best designers in the world are at every corner like this Armani one. I had bought an Armani fragrance for my MIL in 2005 (my last visit). She had liked it so much that I was looking for the same one for her. After speaking with the rep inside, I realized I am looking at impossible. How in the world Armani supposed to have the same fragrance (at least under same name and packaging) after 5 years. Naïve on my part to have troubled him so much – the world here changes in less than a year.

With all the materialistic pleasures that you can indulge at 5th Avenue, one surely need some spiritual intervention. 5th Avenue is not short on churches – beautiful churches dot 5th Avenue at regular intervals
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7805.jpg

Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7807.jpg

The other shop on our list was of course FAO
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7815.jpg

You will fall in love with the shop as you enter it. It has all the charm for a children store.
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7818.jpg

Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7820.jpg

Don’t ask me why my camera focuses in this way.
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7823.jpg

And here’s the famed floor piano

When we came out, I started clicking photos like crazy. I don’t know why…here are a couple of them...

The apple store outside of FAO
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7814.jpg

IBM building is somewhere behind this building. I forgot the name of this one though...
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7816.jpg

IIRC, this is just another Trump Group building…
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7802.jpg

We haven't hopped back yet from our first hop off itself.
To be continued...
Old 21st June 2010, 09:15   #33
BHPian

5/26 – Our first brush with the world called New York - II

We then walk back to the Columbus Circle.

Augustus Saint-Gaudens' General Sherman monument
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7831.jpg

And to the South West end – Columbus Circle
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7836.jpg

Nothing but tall buildings can provide shade in New York – i literally felt surrounded by buildings (like one feels surrounded by trees in a jungle) - aptly called concrete jungle.
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7837.jpg

It was time to hop on again. At 4:00 PM we managed the last bus for uptown circuit. The first point of interest was Lincoln Center. We couldn’t get down as it was getting late and this was the last bus, so getting down means we will not be able to hop back again. I thought I will come back some other day but couldn’t make it in this trip.
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7842.jpg

Then came the Cathedral of St. John the Divine. They say this is the largest cathedral in the world - it can easily accommodate two football fields. Irrespective of its claim of being largest, it is magnificent.
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7843.jpg

Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7844.jpg

Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7846.jpg

The uptown tour then takes you through Harlem and then to finish point at downtown. Here are some random shots that I took…

This is where John Lennon was shot dead or at least per the bur tour guide...
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7840.jpg

Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7851.jpg

Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7855.jpg

Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7874.jpg

Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7876.jpg

Guggenheim Museum
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7877.jpg

We decided to get down at the South East end of the Central Park. It was 5:30 PM and we had an hour to ourselves for the Central Park before we go for our Night Tour.

Pulitzer Fountain
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7883.jpg

Plaza Hotel entrance
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7884.jpg

Skyline as seen from Central Park (towards downtown)
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7885.jpg

And then we started our night tour. I haven’t clicked many pictures but this is one tour that we thoroughly enjoyed. It is a great experience and New York at its best. It is not an hop on hop off tour – you have to be in the bus for couple of hours.

And if you happen to be lucky, you may even have a maverick guide like we did. He was excellent as a guide. And a little unhappy that New York has consumed Brooklyn’s identity. According to him the New York style cheese cake should actually be Brooklyn style Cheese cake, etc.

Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7893.jpg

Empire State Building
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7898.jpg

Some shots of Brooklyn bridge and South East Manhattan skyline.
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7903.jpg
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7906.jpg
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7908.jpg

Our night tour completed at 11:30. We had no problem with the Subway. It felt the train was waiting for us. With frequency of every 8 minutes, it would felt that way. A city with a great public transport is always a boon for its citizens. Say for example Mumbai.

Our friend picked us up at the subway station and we retired after a good dinner.

To be continued…

Last edited by akbaree : 21st June 2010 at 09:17.
Old 21st June 2010, 18:50   #34
Senior - BHPian

you did not go "inside" the central park? there is a whole area devoted to skate dancing and you can find some really cool skaters doing stunts while enjoying the sun.

You are showing stuff I never noticed in my 18 month stay at NYC, wonderful!
Old 21st June 2010, 22:01   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
you did not go "inside" the central park? there is a whole area devoted to skate dancing and you can find some really cool skaters doing stunts while enjoying the sun.
We did go inside the park. Someone told me it is open 24 hours. As we were beginning to have fun, my son noticed slides (children play area) - and there go our next 45 minutes. Slide, swing, sand.. - children have a different perspective.
Old 22nd June 2010, 10:20   #36
BHPian

5/27 – Downtown Bus Tour on a really hot day

It was a laid back start. By the time we reached our hop on station, it was already noon. But we were to discover a lot of New York today.

As we waited for our bus, I got my souvenir photograph. Our night tour guide in one of his cold humor moments told us that if you want to buy a real souvenir from/of New York, you should come to China Town – among others, he gave an example of Obama underwear. How can his a little more American brethren be far behind?
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7912.jpg

It was amazing to see people queue up to get discounted tickets for the Broadway shows everywhere
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7913.jpg
I was also delighted to discover that they have a tickets window right under the Times Square steps
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7915.jpg

We got down at Empire State Building for a show of New York Sky Ride. It is worth a visit if you have kids. We had our lunch at Heartland Brewery in the Empire State Building - awesome wild mushroom ravioli. Though my wife is still struggling to get past her Salad fad. She later realized that her fad was with the Ranch dressing rather.

Our tour continued thru downtown to Financial district.

People were queuing up to buy clothes on sale on hot summer afternoon. I haven’t quite understood the hook up Americans have with the sale days. I prefer to go shopping whenever I feel like and I never feel like shopping if I have to stand in a queue. Perhaps that explains why my bank accounts are mostly empty.
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7927.jpg

It was 96 degrees that afternoon – hottest day for us in last 8 months. We were already feeling the heat. My son couldn’t take the heat and after his erratic spell, dozed off.

We passed thru some more cathedrals. Somehow I feel like if you have seen one, you have seen all…
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7932.jpg
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7933.jpg

Liked this tall building – it was glowing amber with the sun rays being absorbed and being reflected in harmony
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7946.jpg

Do some of these pictures remind of Indian Streets?
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7924.jpg
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7928.jpg
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7931.jpg
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7939.jpg

New York is truly remarkable. I always use to think why I don’t see the spirit that I see in movies or some of my favorite tv shows? But then ignorance is bliss. Most of the popular entertainment that originates out of US is based on life in New York. It has that global appeal that no other city, that I am aware of, has. This global appeal also explains run away popularity of the shows and movies that everyone likes to talk about. Ah I am discovering something real, something amazing, something that you can connect with, something that inspires – not just by its flawlessness but also by the flaws it has, something that looks creased and bruised but still suave…

Okay, here’s the New York home of my recent Hollywood favorite – Katherine Hepburn.
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7944.jpg

We finally hopped off at the Rockefeller Center.
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7954.jpg
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7951.jpg

This area is a huge attraction during the annual Christmas Tree Lighting. But it has quite a bit to offer otherwise too including the Top of the Rock observatory deck (less popular cousin to Empire State Building)…

The sculpture at the entrance
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn8006.jpg

This is at the north entrance
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7960.tif.jpg

This chandelier may appear ordinary in the picture below but is made of Swarovski Crystals – Rockefellers.
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7964.jpg
Something/Someone that appears normal/ordinary is actually extra ordinary is true more often than not in New York. I must be in love with New York. Perhpas as I grow old, I am falling in love more often.

With your New York Pass you can take a free tour of NBC Studios here inside the Rockefeller Center.
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7973.jpg
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7975.jpg

I am slowly beginning to realize the beauty and greatness of New York lies inside its sky scrapers. The tall buildings and so much loved sky line of Manhattan is actually a distraction that keeps the visitors glued to the outer beauty. Scratch the surface, make inroads and that’s where your will find true grandeur.

I noticed the Radio City Music Hall that is next to Rockefeller Center. You get a free tour of Radio City Music Hall with your New York Pass. And did I say that you get a free tour of Lincoln Center as well. New York pass is a boon if you are on your journey to discover New York.
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7972.jpg

Let me show you the close up of the three figures
Radha Krishna – New York Style?
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7966.jpg

This is Greek and I believe has to be some kind of Music/Art Goddess – does any know who?
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7967.jpg

And here’s the Roman representation
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7971.jpg
That’s how cosmopolitan New York is. If Mumbai has all different kind of Indians, New York has almost all different kind of world population.

To be continued...

Last edited by akbaree : 22nd June 2010 at 10:29.
Old 22nd June 2010, 21:34   #37
BHPian

5/27 – Top of the Rock Observatory Deck

Here are some pictures that I took from the Top of the Rock...

North - Hudson River
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7976.jpg

North East
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7995.jpg

South West - The Times Square lights were visible as well
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn8000.jpg

To give some perspective. When one is at these observatory decks, some of the tall buildings appear so tiny. The Financial district is visible behind the Empire State Buidling...
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn8004.jpg

South - Managed to hide the Chrysler building...
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7981.jpg

We were feeling almost dehydrated. It shows up on our faces
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7987.jpg
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7983.jpg
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn7991.jpg

We decide to call it a day earlier. As we walk back to Times Square, we went past Christie's
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn8007.jpg

20 odd minutes of soaking at Times Square and we were back in the Subway.
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn8013.jpg

Our friend picked us up at the Subway station to drive home and with the sumptuous dinner that had Dal Palak (my wife's favorite) we had this wonderful day behind us now.

To be continued...
Old 23rd June 2010, 10:18   #38
BHPian

5/28 – Sailing

We had a booking at 12:30 for our first sail (in Manhattan). We left home at 10:00 but managed to reach North Cove Marina just in time.

This 80 year old hand built yacht is going to be our fare into Hudson River.
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn8020.jpg
In the background, you see World Financial Center plaza.

The Marina had few private cruise boats parked as well
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn8021.jpg

A quick photo shoot and time to sail…
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn8026.jpg

New Jersey skyline as we leave the Marina…
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn8017.jpg

There’s this really long boardwalk along the Hudson River – a great place to chill out…
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn8035.jpg

Although the boat is capable of squeezing 48 people, we only had about 8 people sailing with us. And the water of Hudson River was just couple of feet below our feet. It was an exclusive experience.
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn8036.jpg

After going some distance, the sails came up and the engines were turned off. Thankfully it was a perfect afternoon for sailing and sweet sound of water splashing the hull filled our ears and our eyes were full of Wouth Manhattan skyline (Financial district)
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn8042.jpg
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn8067.jpg
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn8081.jpg

We were headed to have a close look at Statue of Liberty
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn8052.jpg

After experiencing our hottest day yesterday, today turned out to be pleasant day.
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn8055.nef.jpg
However with cold breeze filling our lungs, my wife and son retreated to a blanket.
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn8070.jpg

Here’s what I could manage of Statue of Liberty
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn8059.jpg
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn8066.jpg

No matter how many pictures have you seen, a trip to gaze at Statue of Liberty up close is going to be worth the effort.

We came across another sail boat on our journey back
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn8077.jpg

We thanked our sailors for the wonderful sail. Did I say it before? If not, please plan at least 100 USD on tips. It is a must.

We had our lunch at World Financial Center plaza in the SouthWest NY. Best Quesadilla I have ever had (not that I had too many of them before, but still). My wife continued her sting with Salad experiments. She is yet to discover that she like Ranch dressing rather than the salads.

We are now going to Madame Tussauds

I think this site is point zero. I had not planned to be here but had to pass thru it for the sail and back. We had also passed by during our downtown tour yesterday.
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-dscn8087.jpg

To be continued…

Last edited by akbaree : 23rd June 2010 at 10:20.
Old 23rd June 2010, 12:48   #39
MX6
Senior - BHPian

8070 - Priceless photo! They'll always be mama's boys.
And does FAO still retain it's name as the worlds largest toy shop? I bought a toy of Elmo Chicken from there for my neice. She adored it. It's broken now after 7 years. She still has it in her rummage!
Old 23rd June 2010, 13:40   #40
Senior - BHPian

Sir, beautiful photos. It brings back my memory about roaming in those streets of Manhatten.

I am putting some night shots similar to yours here. Hope you don't mind.

Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-p1010040.jpg

Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-p1010041.jpg

This one from Statue of Liberty.

From Inside!
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-newyork_41.jpg

And outside!
Cincinnati - Niagara Falls, NY - New York - Cincinnati-p1010184.jpg

The visit inside this was totally a lucky one. We did not booked any reservation and it was full.

Eventhough we saw people returning without entries, we went to the security near the gate. Told him, we have come all the way from India and we will miss this badly. Suddenly not sure what he thought, he said we are very lucky, and gave 2 pass

Whenever I listen to the Tamil song "Newyork nagarm urangum neram..." from Surya movie, I just go back to these golden days.

ok, ok. Please go ahead with your excellent log.
Old 23rd June 2010, 14:46   #41
BHPian

Thanks for sharing for your travelogue, brought back many memories from my recent Niagra/New York Trip (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...-new-york.html (Niagara, New Jersey and New York)). Through your travelogue I am visiting many attractions in New York that I was not able to see last time.

Last edited by TSEA : 23rd June 2010 at 14:47. Reason: syntax
Old 23rd June 2010, 15:21   #42
BHPian

@akbaree - This is a wonderful travelouge. I really dont know how I missed this theread all these days. I love the night shots of the brooklyn bridge. Awesome write up. I can see that you guys are having a gala time there.
Old 23rd June 2010, 15:22   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post

Attachment 367804

The Union Station is one great place. The food court (the picture below is not of the food court) was busier than any busy food court in India. The people are what make the place what it is. No wonder Washington DC is a over populated (relatively).
Attachment 367805
I love those pics of the Union Station and the Columbus Square. It was my regualar place to walk down in the evenings and while away time over there. The shopping malls are good and time just passes by so quickly there.

The facade and interior ambience of the station are the best I've seen so far. Even Grand Central at NY and Waterloo/ Victoria at London do not come close to it.
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:42   #44
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@vnabhi.
Waterloo and victoria aren't anything great to be in this list sir. The new st. pancras looks a bit decent but nothing compared to Union station at DC.
What makes the stations in UK famous is that most of them are very very old. And it was great during those times.
I liked Baker street underground station more than waterloo or victoria!
Old 23rd June 2010, 22:11   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
@akbaree - This is a wonderful travelouge. I really dont know how I missed this theread all these days. I love the night shots of the brooklyn bridge. Awesome write up. I can see that you guys are having a gala time there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEA View Post
Thanks for sharing for your travelogue...
Through your travelogue I am visiting many attractions in New York that I was not able to see last time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Sir, beautiful photos. It brings back my memory about roaming in those streets of Manhatten.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
8070 - Priceless photo! They'll always be mama's boys.
And does FAO still retain it's name as the worlds largest toy shop? I bought a toy of Elmo Chicken from there for my neice. She adored it. It's broken now after 7 years. She still has it in her rummage!
Mama's boys - they indeed are.

I don't know if FAO has lost that distinction in this world of tallest, largest, biggest, et al. I rememer reading that it is still the largest family run (old school) toy store in the world. If it make sense. I couldn't believe when a gentlmen in a suite came and told us that the store will be closing soon. With such a big store, you would expect a speaker to announce it - but then FAO is old school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
...The shopping malls are good and time just passes by so quickly there.

The facade and interior ambience of the station are the best I've seen so far...
+1. That trains leave from Union Station is purely incidental

Last edited by akbaree : 23rd June 2010 at 22:13.

Most Viewed