Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2010, 15:11   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks all for the best wishes. It is turning out to one hectic period in life but till date I am determined to do this even if holidays are curtailed to bare minimum four days plus to and from Srinagar. Now the plan is to start on 22nd night drive through the night and enter Kashmir valley during mid day. Collapse of sleep. Wake up next day fro scrutiny and admin work and promptly collapse to sleep again to wake up refreshed for the rally on 25th and 26th. Hopefully complete the rally and attend prize distribution on 27th. On the 28th take early morning start and be back in town by late night. I hope Alka is happy enough to bear with this madness. But then what's life without a bit of madness?
Old 17th June 2010, 16:05   #47
Team-BHP Support

All the best Sudev! You are right. What's life without a "LOT OF" madness!
Old 17th June 2010, 16:58   #48
Senior - BHPian

Good luck & safe travels

Have lots of fun & hope you don't get stuck!!
Old 17th June 2010, 17:25   #49
Team-BHP Support

Wow! I don't know how I missed this thread until now. Will be following it closely now.

All the best for the trip Sudev and Alkaji.

BTW, most of the precautions taken for rallying can also used for offroading. But we do nothing of that sort, not even 10% precautions. When I wear seat belts in OTRs, people give me funny looks.
Old 18th June 2010, 07:28   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the wishes Samurai, Suman and Tanveer.

I am getting a little scared in terms of my just on time plan to reach Srinagar after reading Tanveer's travelogue but there is no other alternative. Starting from plans and reaching Udhampur should be fairly predictable in terms of time schedule but from there to the valley will depend on truck traffic. Hope to have enough energy left after night long drive to still enjoy this.

@Samurai: The new tyres in your GV what brand?
Old 18th June 2010, 10:49   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

A telephone conversation

I am currently stationed at our production facility at Tohana (near Hissar) and in stead of normal one day / two day visit this is turning out to be a bit longer on account of sudden changes at the top in factory organisation. So the plans for the proposed ten day holiday and doing the Mughal Road were running in to jeopardy.

As already posted a new plan was hatched by me and the next step was to sell this to my co-driver for life.
ring...ring...ring..ring

She: Hi when are you back? I thought you were away for a day?!
Me: Some issues here that need my presence
She: Everything okay?
Me: Hmmm yeah but listen we may have to go a bit late (she is clued in on to what "going" means)
She: Haaaaan...I was also thinking of not going. You are busy and...
Me: Glad you understand ... but I will manage time
She: I mean Shankar had to go on sudden leave..his father...
Me: Shankar? What has he got to do with delay
She: I can not leave house when there is no servant...
Me: Why? Your saas and bahu will take care of the house for few days
She: Naahin. You guys do not understand the work load I can not put so much work on ammi ji (saas)
Me: So true so true..

Here I am trying to do a top level transition for a plant that runs 24x7 and she thinks I do not understand work loads!! But this gave me inspiration of turning the cause of call on its head....

Me: Okay hire a temp but we are going
She: No we can not be away for ten days even with a temp
Me: Lets curtail to four five days then
She: Let me think...

By this time I think the plan is already sold just needs a little polish.

Me: There is weekend when bahu will be home too. (she works)
She: Haan yeh to hai...
Me: What we will do s go out on 22nd night and be back by 28th.
She: Kind of tight schedule
Me: To kya - lets do it onec in life time etc etc....

Whoopee she agreed and we should be on track for the Mughal Road.
Old 18th June 2010, 10:50   #52
Team-BHP Support

As long as you hit udhampur before 10am, you should be fine. Problem stop is Banihal. If it rains, you will get a landslide. Otherwise, its okay.
Take the Dhaliya bypass instead of from Samba. Much better and less traffic.
Old 18th June 2010, 11:21   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Dhaliya is the one just after Shahpurkandi border right? Got GPS track for that? I think we used that for Petronas tour and should be able to dig out GPS track from NorthernMotorsport but if you have it stat then its easier.
Old 18th June 2010, 11:25   #54
Team-BHP Support

We took that when coming back, check your email for gpx
Old 18th June 2010, 12:14   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

@tsk1979: Thanks for the input.

I intend to start from Toahan, (near Hissar) at about 2200hrs after dinner and bath at company guest house. Carry on through night of 22nd and 23rd

Route and time schedule should be
1hr 30min to Ludhiana
2hr 30min to Pathankot
3hr 00min to Udhampur - should be there by ~0400hrs.
3hr 00min to Banihal - stop there for breakfast ~0700hrs
3hr 00min to Srinagar - should be there by ~1100hrs on 23rd

Check in and sleep till evening.
Old 18th June 2010, 12:46   #56
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sudev!!

I have never ever read/ been involved or seen about rally's. They never interested me till I went through all of this thread, well You and Alka have really made reading this thread really interesting.

I am all for safety and security during any event. I was so pleased to see and read that the organisers have dotted all the "I" as far as the safety is concerned ( are you one the organisers?)

Here is to wish you and Alka all the best, hoping you guys have lots of fun during the event. And if you can win any trophies that would be the icing on the cake.

Before I go a few questions about rally's-

- is it about finishing first, I mean whoever finishes in the shortest time wins?
- do all the participants have to take the same route?
- what about car weight, car displacement etc etc, are they also taken into account or the criteria is only 4x4?
- In this Rally, what does the participation fee of 10K include?
- How competitive is this rally? I mean is everybody out there to win or some people are there just to get the feel of it and enjoy the scenery around?
- I read somewhere ( I think it was on the facebook photos comment) about handicap. Do some people get some handicap or does the scores for all start from a zero?

Sorry some questions might sound foolish, but I am trying to understand.

Thanks, Regards and Good Luck
Dhiraj

P.S - And Alka, no ways Sudev would have used a Zen for rallying, Did he really??
Old 18th June 2010, 13:00   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
@tsk1979: Thanks for the input.

I intend to start from Toahan, (near Hissar) at about 2200hrs after dinner and bath at company guest house. Carry on through night of 22nd and 23rd

Route and time schedule should be
1hr 30min to Ludhiana
2hr 30min to Pathankot
3hr 00min to Udhampur - should be there by ~0400hrs.
3hr 00min to Banihal - stop there for breakfast ~0700hrs
3hr 00min to Srinagar - should be there by ~1100hrs on 23rd

Check in and sleep till evening.
Sudev Saab, isn't 6 hours to Udhampur from Hissar a bit on the optimistic side? I would rather give it 8 hours.
Old 18th June 2010, 15:08   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Before I go a few questions about rally's

- is it about finishing first, I mean whoever finishes in the shortest time wins?
There are many types of rally's. Yes in the extreme category the guy who is quickest wins. However we are doing TSD rally in which the guy who is closest too target time wins, you end up with double the penalties if you are faster than target!!
Trick is doing every section on time. The problem lies in the fact that while you know the speed to be followed you do not know where the check point will be.

Quote:
- do all the participants have to take the same route?
Yes, and same check points too.

Quote:
- what about car weight, car displacement etc etc, are they also taken into account or the criteria is only 4x4?
This particular rally is for 4x4 vehicles but there are others that you can participate even with normal car.

Quote:
- In this Rally, what does the participation fee of 10K include
The fee and benefits vary from rally to rally and are detailed in the regulations of the same. In this one the fee of Rs10000 includes four nights of stay. A reasonable bargain.

Quote:
- How competitive is this rally? I mean is everybody out there to win or some people are there just to get the feel of it and enjoy the scenery around?
Many people are out there to try and win but you can only participate to know the spirit of camaraderie that exists. I propose to enjoy the scenery.

Quote:
- I read somewhere ( I think it was on the facebook photos comment) about handicap. Do some people get some handicap or does the scores for all start from a zero?
No all are equal. But that is not deterrent for newbie's as with proper understanding making the total drive with zero or very low penalties is reasonably possible.

Quote:
P.S - And Alka, no ways Sudev would have used a Zen for rallying, Did he really??
She is a bit erratic in posting but hey man "zakham pe namak kyu daal rahe ho?" (why are you rubbing salt on wounds?)
Old 18th June 2010, 16:45   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Sudev Saab, isn't 6 hours to Udhampur from Hissar a bit on the optimistic side? I would rather give it 8 hours.
One I am starting from Tohana which is about 70 kms nearer than Hissar.
Two total distance is less than 500 kms

With open roads and night time low traffic this should be doable in 6 odd hours. Most of the road is flat no hilly drive.
Old 18th June 2010, 16:54   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
One I am starting from Tohana which is about 70 kms nearer than Hissar.
Two total distance is less than 500 kms

With open roads and night time low traffic this should be doable in 6 odd hours. Most of the road is flat no hilly drive.
I hope you'll be taking the road through Kathua / Samba without going into Jammu.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks