Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2010, 10:13   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
AT Gauripur, a cop whistled after me on seeing my MH number plate, but I simply ignored him and drove on.

At Boxirhat checkpost, the road was so bad that I doubt any cop could see what was coming.

I have never had any problem in the WB-Sikkhim border.

The only occasion I have been stopped by a WB cop is near Baharogara-Jamshola on NH6 (coming from Sambalpur side) but that was just to check who we were since there was a Naxal issue in that route. Maybe the fact that we had a lady and 2 kids in the car also meant that he did not want to fool around with us.
HvK could you please post the route map/details from Guwahati & or Baihata Chariali to Siliguri & Phultshiling.

For someone driving to Darjeeling or Sikkim from Assam does the road go through Siliguri or ther's a shorter road or bypass.

Why is everyone telling to avoide the Bongaigaon side road which seems nearer than going down through Dhubri side.

I have no idea about this side as i have not driven beyond Pathsala on north bank and Paikan on south of Brahmaputra. Hope to make it to Darjeeling some day.
Old 3rd September 2010, 10:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

The Bongaigaon route is in a mess thanks to the road widening. Besides, thanks to Bodo-related problems, there has been caution on the AS-WB border through Nalbari and Bongaigaon till Barobisha in the WB side. Lovely route though, cuts through some pristine jungles and also the Buxar and Jaldapara sanctuaries.

The Goalpara route to Siliguri is a lot better, except for some bad sections (I heard that there were some bad sections near Cooch Behar, but that was in April-May, no idea now). To go to Siliguri, you can go via Cooch behar, Falakata, Drupuguri and Mynaguri till Fulburi from where you can enter Siliguri.

But if you are going to Phuntsoling, you can turn off at Cooch Behar and go to Alipurduar and go to Hashimara and Jaigaon.

Route details:
Jalukhbari-Paikan 120 kms-Nara Narayana Bridge (near Goalpara) 25-North Salamara 23-Gauripur 93-Boxirhat 41-Tufanganj 12-Cooch Behar 21-Falakata 43-Drupuguri 21-Mynaguri 22-Raninangar 26-Fulbari 27

Jalukhbari-Paikan 120-Nara Narayana Bridge (near Goalpara) 25-North Salamara 23-Gauripur 93-Boxirhat 41-Tufanganj 12-Cooch Behar 21-Alipurduar 20-Hashimara 40-Phuntsoling 17

If you want to go to Darjeeling or Sikkhim, you need not come to Siliguri. You could turn off at Falakata to BIrpara and come via Chalasa to Sevoke where you intersect the Siliguri-Gangtok road. For Darjeeling, you can turn off this road at Rambi Bazaar 17 kms from the Coronation Bridge (which is 4 kms before Sevoke towards Siliguri)
Old 3rd September 2010, 10:50   #18
BHPian

Thanks HvK i will save the details and get a print out as well, even though it will be month's before i could take this road finally.

I believe the Buxar and Jaldapara sanctuaries are worth a visit as well, any idea about facilities there?
Old 3rd September 2010, 21:36   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Lovely route though, cuts through some pristine jungles and also the Buxar and Jaldapara sanctuaries.
Deep jungle: take the Alipur Duar - Falakata road. Midway there is a road which will take you to Hashimara through Chilapata. Love this route if not in a hurry.

The Goalpara route to Siliguri is a lot better, except for some bad sections (I heard that there were some bad sections near Cooch Behar, but that was in April-May, no idea now). To go to Siliguri, you can go via Cooch behar, Falakata, Drupuguri and Mynaguri till Fulburi from where you can enter Siliguri.
Dhupguri, Mainaguri, Tista bridge, Jalpaiguri, Raninagar, Siliguri

But if you are going to Phuntsoling, you can turn off at Cooch Behar and go to Alipurduar and go to Hashimara and Jaigaon.
Or Cooch Behar Falakata Madarihat (horrible road) for Jaldapara. Instead of the Falakata Madarihat road, one can detour through Khairbari forest.

If you want to go to Darjeeling or Sikkhim, you need not come to Siliguri. You could turn off at Falakata to BIrpara and come via Chalasa to Sevoke where you intersect the Siliguri-Gangtok road. For Darjeeling, you can turn off this road at Rambi Bazaar 17 kms from the Coronation Bridge (which is 4 kms before Sevoke towards Siliguri)
From Rambhi Khola, road goes via Mongpu. Traditional route is Tista Bazar - Peshok road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
I believe the Buxar and Jaldapara sanctuaries are worth a visit as well, any idea about facilities there?
Jaldapara: one lodge inside the forest, one just outside.

Plenty of threads discussing these roads.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 3rd September 2010, 21:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post

I have stayed in a lovely resort at Barobisha which is in the Buxar WLS, but that was many years ago.
Old 3rd September 2010, 22:04   #21
Senior - BHPian

^^^
That area has a number of resthouses/ cottages, which unfortunately are kept hidden from the general public. WBFDC has a property in Buxa forest.

Regards
Sutripta

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks