Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2010, 07:49   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
We finally reached home at 5, with a unanimous decision that wherever we go next, a home stay will be the preferred choice of stay.
Oh!!! no no no!!! pls don't jump to conclusions; I'd a very bad experience with homestay at Coorg; I'm glad you'd a very good experience, but not all homestays are good. I strongly agree with Ampere here
Quote:
Home stays are a tricky affair. If they are good they are very good. If they are not, its difficult to voice our concern.
Because we are after all staying in someone's home. Need to do this homework very carefully.
Quote:
The end. And thank you for reading.
Nice to have said "The End"; & Thanks for sharing & I enjoyed as much as you enjoyed the trip. What I felt after looking the pictures was, it was worth renting out the camera for sure. The pics have come out very well.

OT - What is this homestay concept? Who's idea is this? From where did it origin? What if someone calls up for accomodation & ends up in disaster? I'm sure they're aware of these things, but my question still will be, why let some unknown strangers in your house for money? Is it worth that risk?

Last edited by aargee : 26th May 2010 at 07:54.
Old 26th May 2010, 08:37   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Absolutely. But same applies to resorts and hotels too. You need to do your homework before going anywhere.
But at least in resorts one can speak his mind. A home stay is more personal touch and hence one needs to be more careful while venting his thoughts in case he is not satisfied. Thats the subtle difference which I was trying to point out.
Old 26th May 2010, 09:12   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Oh!!! no no no!!! pls don't jump to conclusions; I'd a very bad experience with homestay at Coorg; I'm glad you'd a very good experience, but not all homestays are good. I strongly agree with Ampere here

OT - What is this homestay concept? Who's idea is this? From where did it origin? What if someone calls up for accomodation & ends up in disaster? I'm sure they're aware of these things, but my question still will be, why let some unknown strangers in your house for money? Is it worth that risk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
But at least in resorts one can speak his mind. A home stay is more personal touch and hence one needs to be more careful while venting his thoughts in case he is not satisfied. Thats the subtle difference which I was trying to point out.
Yes i see your point. Most of the home stays are not as professional as hotels or resorts. In fact, i was browsing through the comments/feedback book at Woodways and someone had written, "needs more professionalism".
Besides, they take the complete amount in advance. So, once you pay, you are stuck with them.

Regarding the risk, aargee, most of the accomodation is separate from where the owners stay. Woodways owners do not stay at the location.
Old 26th May 2010, 12:11   #34
BHPian

Is it possible to do this trip in a day ?

Say : I Leave from Bangalore by 4 AM.
Reach Belur Temple, spend 1 hour and go to Chikkamaglur.
Go directly to this 'Mullanarayangiri / Trek mentioned' and on way back visit Halebid.

Reach Bangalore, may be late night.
Old 26th May 2010, 12:16   #35
Team-BHP Support

Excellent travelogue Amitoj. Looks like we were driving the same roads on Sunday.

Quote:
I wonder if anyone has experienced Greendale homestay there.
Duh! http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...reen-dale.html
Old 26th May 2010, 12:42   #36
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue, amitoj. Loved the pics of the birds.

The jeep - it belonged to the homestays or they arranged it? In case they arranged it, then one could ask for a better one with open roof.
Old 26th May 2010, 13:06   #37
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic travelogue & equally good pictures.
Renting the Lenses have done wonders to your pics.

Quote:
I wonder if anyone has experienced Greendale homestay there.
AFAIK, Samurai, Ravibhat, LohithRao etc have been to Greendale.
Owner Aravind is a good friend of mine.
Old 26th May 2010, 13:39   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45007 View Post

Go directly to this 'Mullanarayangiri / Trek mentioned' and on way back visit Halebid.

Should be do-able. But you might want to check what time the Halebid temple closes for the day. The roads are decent. But, a minimum three nights stay is recommended to explore the region well (not "fully")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Excellent travelogue Amitoj. Looks like we were driving the same roads on Sunday.

Duh! http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...reen-dale.html
Thanks Sharath. Yeah i realized we were both on the same roads when i read your post in the MMI vs SatGuide thread.
Ohho your thread was in the 4x4 section. I was searching for threads with "Chik*" in subject in the travelogues section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Nice travelogue, amitoj. Loved the pics of the birds.

The jeep - it belonged to the homestays or they arranged it? In case they arranged it, then one could ask for a better one with open roof.
The jeep was rented. As per my host, there is a new rule that no open top jeeps are allowed for safaris. I have my doubts about this "rule" though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Fantastic travelogue & equally good pictures.
Renting the Lenses have done wonders to your pics.

AFAIK, Samurai, Ravibhat, LohithRao etc have been to Greendale.
Owner Aravind is a good friend of mine.
Thanks. Yes renting the lenses really paid off.
Cool. Next time, i will get in touch with him. No offroading necessary, right? *referring to Sharath's thread*
Old 26th May 2010, 13:47   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

It would not be worth it. The idea is to soak into the place, spend some quality time.
You would be only wanting to reach to a place rather than, enjoying the place.

Last edited by ampere : 26th May 2010 at 13:51.
Old 26th May 2010, 13:52   #40
BHPian

Okay

Understood. So, it is possible but not worth. (1 day trip).
So, I will try to make a 2 day plan.

Thanks!
Old 26th May 2010, 13:54   #41
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, this is very much possible. It will be a rushed trip but definitely doable.
Old 26th May 2010, 13:57   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

How can I not be a part of this thread when it talks about Belur where I have lived since birth till I graduated. Sorry guys if this is going to be too much of information but just makes me nostalgic about this wonderful place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
The pillar in the second pic is not plastered or fixed on the base. The pillar is 42 feet tall, made of single stone and standing on its own weight.

Info from guide at the temple.
You are right and talk about the application of COG in objects then, the Pillar at the base has 4 Sides and gradually as you move up, it increases to 6, 8 and finally 16. One of the reasons that the pillar still stands erect without any support.

The Row of 400 elephants are unique against each other if looked in detail. At least, they will differ in the position of their legs, trunk, tail and the design ornaments over their body.

Inside the temple you have cleaner and more precise workmanship. The sculpted Shilabaalikas have bangles which move through the hands and ear-rings that shake. Amazing work on stones, isn't it?

The Water tank being talked about had one of the best species of fishes untill one of the summers in the 90s when the bamboo lofts were dumped as a practice to make them stronger which later get used for the annual Rathotsava. The consignment of Bamboos were infected and in turn killed all the fishes making the water turn into slush completely.

When the tank was emptied to clean this mess, we could see millions of coins thrown into by devotees and also the design of the tank where the steps from all the 4 sides would converge (almost like an inverted pyramid) and again there was a well in the center from here which was 3-4 Ft in diameter running further deep.

Just to share this piece of info, construction of more than 2 floors (till 1st floor) is not allowed around 300 meters radius around to temple so that the visibility of the Gopura is not affected. This is one reason why you wouldn't find taller buildings surrounding the temple's complex. Belur is also now a World Heritage site and land acquisition surrounding the tenmple is in progress to convert this to one as per the standards.

Even today, there is every chance that whenever the ground is dug up for some reason, finding carved sculptures wont be a surprise. My house is exactly opposite to northen side wall of the temple and when BSNL dug up to lay underground cables once, accidentally my dad hit his leg to a small stone while walking over the debris and when it turned over, It was a 70% unfinished Ganesha Idol carved out of stone (can fit one's palm) which we still consider as lucky!!

Belur's Chennakeshava temple is also known as a Jeevantha Devaalaya for the reason that even today every morning and evening there is a mangalaarati as opposed to the Halebidu Temple. (I am not referring to the mangalaarati offered whenever devotees stand by but a regular ritual everyday apart from it)

Halebidu was a victim of attacks by sultans of Delhi and this is the reason why the sculptures here are broken/damaged. Old timers say that the moment it was learnt that Halebidu was under attack, Belur temple was covered with sand completely and thus it remains in shape even today. (Note that there was no rectangular complex surrounding the temple when it was built). I still wonder what was the mode of communication and how soon was the temple covered.

Last edited by paragsachania : 26th May 2010 at 14:01.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2010, 14:11   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Understood. So, it is possible but not worth. (1 day trip).
So, I will try to make a 2 day plan.

Thanks!
Go Early morning. Take rest and enjoy that day. Go for the morning trek the next day and start back in the afternoon
to be back home by evening/night. Can be done over a weekend.

Ideally I would say 2 nights would be really good.

Last edited by ampere : 26th May 2010 at 14:20.
Old 26th May 2010, 16:55   #44
Senior - BHPian

Nice write up Amitoj. Loved the pics.

Quote:
Glad you all are liking the photos.

The CCD was around 50 Kms before Hassan.
Actually it is a good 80kms before Hassan. There is one more CCD next to the Kamat in Udayapur (around 30kms before Hassan)

Quote:
Day 2:
We reached the peak in around 45 minutes. As is customary with such peaks, it was entirely covered with mist. There was a climb of around 500 steps right to the peak, which we decided not to do, given that our 1 year old would need to be carried and besides, at the peak we will be met with the same mist. So clicked a few pics there itself.

Next day we planned to head back and stop over at Halebid temple. I was really looking forward to this one, since unlike the Belur temple, there is no ongoing Puja done at this temple. It is a protected site.
I have been to Mullaiyanagiri 'n' number of times and I feel it has to be experienced with the mist and the very heavy winds at the top. IMHO, you should have made it to the top. You would have loved it.

IIRC, The story goes that Halebid temple was damaged during the attacks by the Sultan of Delhi and so, pooja is not done to a damaged idol/temple (not sure, I heard it from some one)
Old 26th May 2010, 17:32   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
How can I not be a part of this thread when it talks about Belur where I have lived since birth till I graduated. Sorry guys if this is going to be too much of information but just makes me nostalgic about this wonderful place.
Parag, thanks for providing this information! It adds a lot more depth to the travelogue. Do feel free to add more if you wish to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Nice write up Amitoj. Loved the pics.

I have been to Mullaiyanagiri 'n' number of times and I feel it has to be experienced with the mist and the very heavy winds at the top. IMHO, you should have made it to the top. You would have loved it.

IIRC, The story goes that Halebid temple was damaged during the attacks by the Sultan of Delhi and so, pooja is not done to a damaged idol/temple (not sure, I heard it from some one)
Thanks Addy.
Next time i will make sure i spend at least 2 FULL days in that area so that i dont miss anything.

EDIT: On a side note, you will see perhaps the most relaxed two wheeler riders in Hassan and Chikkamaglur. There were a couple of "usual" two wheelers but they were more the exception than the norm.

Last edited by amitoj : 26th May 2010 at 17:35.

Most Viewed