Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Solo drive Chennai-Mumbai-Chennai, A decision made in split second (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/82204-solo-drive-chennai-mumbai-chennai-decision-made-split-second-5.html)

planet_rocker 26th May 2010 15:58

Finis! shocked:

Lovely travelogue. Loved every bit of it :)

take care and drive safe.

Rahulkool 26th May 2010 16:05

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by planet_rocker (Post 1906382)
Finis! shocked:

Lovely travelogue. Loved every bit of it :)

take care and drive safe.

Thanks man, glad you liked it :)


few more pics .....

ampere 26th May 2010 16:28

1 Attachment(s)
NICE road is the best option to by-pass Bangalore from NH4-NH7.
This forms the North West to the South Arc of Bangalore.

The only issue is that at Bannerghatta road intersection, the NICE road is broken, due to a court case.
Roads are though complete on both sides all the way. Its just that the joint is broken.
One needs to go around this place. A official sits and directs the traffic.

The T-Junction you hit was Bannerghatta road.

Attached is an illustration, with the arterial roads marked.

Attachment 355858

bottle 26th May 2010 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rahulkool (Post 1906346)
21st may 9:45PM
Filled up at one HP pump and was happy that finally the ordeal is over and i will be in chennai soon.
Well i was wrong, just 5 mins later stuck in a big traffic jam, haven't seen such a traffic jam on GQ. There are millions of buses on road and traffic is not at all moving. Anyways somehow got through that to only see that some stupid celebration is going on the highway.

21st may 12:45PM
I am cruising on highway, there isn't much traffic. Reached chennai around 1:30am IIRC.

So total driving time on return journey was 17-18hours.

Total tolls paid was 697rs while going and 697+nice road toll(IIRC it was 75bucks not sure) for returning.

THE END :D


21st May was a Friday right ? I remember coming across a temple celebration halfway to Chennai on that day. It was just before the 3rd toll booth afaik.. also had I known you were going that day we could have made plans to hook up !

LongDrive lover 26th May 2010 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by satheesh1909 (Post 1905255)
But, i don't want to share the driving seat.

Man, this is true with every member of this forum! :)

MudMover 26th May 2010 17:27

Hi Rahulcool,
Thanks for the wonderful travelogue and pics! This month happens to be the anniversary of my solo Blr-Mbai trip last year and your thread was kind of nostalgic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rahulkool (Post 1903710)
I had booked train ticket for mumbai few days back, it was wait listed. I had just checked and it was 12WL, so i was very much sure it will be confirmed. Had packed my bags and was doing time pass in the night so i could sleep peacefully the next day on train...Ticket is not confirmed :(... I had already delayed the trip 2-3 times and didn't wanted to do this again. Well checked ticket on flight and due to peak holiday season it was way to expensive for me still i thought, i had to go anyway.

Your description above bear a very uncanny resemblance to my predicament on the day before the trip! Only thing, I'd been reading up details of Blr-Mbai trips on this forum so I'd already done a little bit of backup preparations in case the train journey bombed. My only regret is that I had a stupid jumpy bolero and so I couldn't enjoy the trip. It was a memorable journey matched only by the Blr-Bandipur trip I did on my kinetic last Sunday.

Nikhilb2008 26th May 2010 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by bottle (Post 1906468)
21st May was a Friday right ? I remember coming across a temple celebration halfway to Chennai on that day. It was just before the 3rd toll booth afaik.. also had I known you were going that day we could have made plans to hook up !

Well, when I was driving earlier that day, I also saw one temple celebration. This was in a proper town. The cops had closed the lane and were diverting all traffic into the opposite lane.

It was some 150 kms or so away from Madras.

LongDrive lover 26th May 2010 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudMover (Post 1906600)
Hi Rahulcool,
My only regret is that I had a stupid jumpy bolero and so I couldn't enjoy the trip.

Nah! Sir ji, plz be little somber in using such words. Don't know how MileCruncher will react to this comment. Every vehicle has its pros and cons.

bottle 26th May 2010 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 (Post 1906630)
Well, when I was driving earlier that day, I also saw one temple celebration. This was in a proper town. The cops had closed the lane and were diverting all traffic into the opposite lane.

It was some 150 kms or so away from Madras.

^yeah same thing, had to drive on the right lane against oncoming traffic and the left lane was made into a walkabout kind of thing with lots of fireworks

esteem_lover 26th May 2010 18:19

Nice impulsive drive Rahul. These are the most exciting trips you can make. I love driving alone and I sure did enjoy every bit of your experience. cheers mate.

aargee 26th May 2010 18:21

The Scorp on Swaraj Mazda looks very funny. For some reason they preffered to carry over than towing the vehicle.
If I'm not wrong, the trip should take not more than 20 hours if driven properly from Chennai to Mumbai & that includes only short breaks. Right?

Rahulkool 26th May 2010 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 1906455)
NICE road is the best option to by-pass Bangalore from NH4-NH7.
This forms the North West to the South Arc of Bangalore.

The only issue is that at Bannerghatta road intersection, the NICE road is broken, due to a court case.
Roads are though complete on both sides all the way. Its just that the joint is broken.
One needs to go around this place. A official sits and directs the traffic.

The T-Junction you hit was Bannerghatta road.

Attached is an illustration, with the arterial roads marked.

Thanks mate for all info, will be useful in next trip. But there was no one to guide the traffic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bottle (Post 1906468)
21st May was a Friday right ? I remember coming across a temple celebration halfway to Chennai on that day. It was just before the 3rd toll booth afaik.. also had I known you were going that day we could have made plans to hook up !

Yeah i saw that but i was stuck in traffic just after bangalore not at that place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongDrive lover (Post 1906549)
Man, this is true with every member of this forum! :)

At least for me hehe. Usually i don't let drive anyone unless i am very much sure if they are capable of driving on highways.


Quote:

Originally Posted by MudMover (Post 1906600)
Hi Rahulcool,
Thanks for the wonderful travelogue and pics! This month happens to be the anniversary of my solo Blr-Mbai trip last year and your thread was kind of nostalgic.
Your description above bear a very uncanny resemblance to my predicament on the day before the trip! Only thing, I'd been reading up details of Blr-Mbai trips on this forum so I'd already done a little bit of backup preparations in case the train journey bombed. My only regret is that I had a stupid jumpy bolero and so I couldn't enjoy the trip. It was a memorable journey matched only by the Blr-Bandipur trip I did on my kinetic last Sunday.

Thanks mate, would love to hear about your trip. try to post the travelogue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 (Post 1906630)
Well, when I was driving earlier that day, I also saw one temple celebration. This was in a proper town. The cops had closed the lane and were diverting all traffic into the opposite lane.

It was some 150 kms or so away from Madras.

No when i went there some celebration were going on but traffic was normal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 1906700)
Nice impulsive drive Rahul. These are the most exciting trips you can make. I love driving alone and I sure did enjoy every bit of your experience. cheers mate.

thanks buddy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 1906707)
The Scorp on Swaraj Mazda looks very funny. For some reason they preffered to carry over than towing the vehicle.
If I'm not wrong, the trip should take not more than 20 hours if driven properly from Chennai to Mumbai & that includes only short breaks. Right?

Yeah it was looking funny and the way it was loaded. The car was little bigger than the truck so the front and rear were rubbing against the truck. I am sure owner will have a nightmare after getting the vehicle.

ranjith.rajaram 26th May 2010 19:35

@ Rahulkool - I guess next time to will plan accordingly to avoid BLR traffic :)

gajadonga 26th May 2010 19:45

Good trip and solo driving that was good.
These snaps of the roads always look good.
You said there was a traffic jam was it anywhere near Hosur because every time I crossed Hosur in the evenings I used to get stuck near the bus stand where people are on the road waiting for the bus.

Rahulkool 27th May 2010 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranjith.rajaram (Post 1906859)
@ Rahulkool - I guess next time to will plan accordingly to avoid BLR traffic :)

There is no doubt about that, i will post it on Tbhp first hehe

Quote:

Originally Posted by gajadonga (Post 1906874)
Good trip and solo driving that was good.
These snaps of the roads always look good.
You said there was a traffic jam was it anywhere near Hosur because every time I crossed Hosur in the evenings I used to get stuck near the bus stand where people are on the road waiting for the bus.

thanks buddy.
I think you are talking about the right place, but that day apart from normal crowd, some celebration was also going on.


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:45.