Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2010, 12:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Solo drive Chennai-Mumbai-Chennai, A decision made in split second

This is my first travelogue in T-Bhp, Well i had not much time planning this and it sort of happened very fast.

Some stats from the trip
Total distance covered
~2850kms
Total Fuel consumed
~200ltrs

Driving time
Chennai-Bangalore 5 hours
Bangalore-pune ~13 hours
Pune-Mumbai ~2-3 hours

Return
Mumbai-Chennai 21:30 hours

15th May 1:30am
I am playing games on computer thinking i have to sleep all day tomorrow on train. I had booked train ticket for mumbai few days back, it was wait listed. I had just checked and it was 12WL, so i was very much sure it will be confirmed. Had packed my bags and was doing time pass in the night so i could sleep peacefully the next day on train.

15th May 4:00am
Train was on 6:50 in the morning so chart must have prepared so decided to check. Ticket is not confirmed :(
I had already delayed the trip 2-3 times and didn't wanted to do this again. Well checked ticket on flight and due to peak holiday season it was way to expensive for me still i thought, i had to go anyway.
Thats the moment i got a wild idea of driving down to mumbai, Fuel bill will more or less same as flight expenses so why not do this adventure.
It was too early to call any one, so i thot of going to bed and start early in the morning for Bangalore.

15th May 9:30am
Woke up and called few friend everyone, no one was ready to come, given a 15 mins time to pack the bags and get ready lol. so i thought of driving alone. Maybe someone from bangalore will be interested. Just opened maymyindia and trying to check the distances and what places are there to refuel + stay if anything goes wrong.
Called my cousin in Bangalore and told him that i am driving down and will be there in the evening. I have done this many times so he was not surprised. But i didn't told him that i am planning to drive to mumbai next day.
To be honest even i was not sure, was little scared. Maximum i have drive in a day is 700kms, that is to Bangalore and back in single day. So i was little scared thinking of doing more than 1000kms in a day.

15th May 10:30
Started from my place. Filled tank at Shell and picked up fruits, biscuits, chocolates, juice and red bull. My plan was to reach Bangalore and stay there in the night and then start from there for pune early morning on 16th may. If i reach pune before 8pm i will go to mumbai otherwise stay back in Pune and start for mumbai next morning.

15th may 11:30
I am on GQ, have driven many times on this stretch. I am doing 100-120kmph. Suddenly after 200kms from Chennai i found that temp meter is 2-3mm above than the normal. Which i have never seen in my car even in peak summer traffic or even on trackday. My heart skipped a beat, no not now !!! i don't want to abandon this trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Solo drive Chennai-Mumbai-Chennai, A decision made in split second-img_0082.jpg  

Rahulkool is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2010, 13:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice! looking forward to this recount, make sure you post every detail
Old 25th May 2010, 13:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is sounding really interesting, waiting to see more info and pics in details.
Have you mentioned that you returned from Mumbai single shot within 21 and half hours.
Is yours a diesel or a petrol car, 200 ltrs of petrol would be Rs 10K are flight charges costlier than this?
Old 25th May 2010, 13:13   #4
BHPian

Nice start to your TL. Such unplanned trips are always cherished whole life. Waiting for the rest.
Old 25th May 2010, 13:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Man, this is a dream trip of mine; Chennai to Mumbai in 24 hours & here's someone who's done recently; But the same day I did Chennai-Erode-Chennai 820 Kms, broke my previous record of 755 Kms.

I'm glad you did the Chennai-Mumbai-Chennai solo; not everyone has guts to do it. You did in good timings. I'm happy for you & sure that you've learned a lot in this drive, pls don't forget to share them as well. Somehow even without much pics, your travelogue is interesting to read, probably due to the time. Keep it coming.

Last edited by aargee : 25th May 2010 at 13:24.
Old 25th May 2010, 13:49   #6
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I guess you are the person who had plastic stuck on the radiator fan. Surprisingly you had stopped for snaps. When I'm on solo drive, I stop only for pitstops. No photography at all. Nowadays, I've outsourced the photography to my wife and I just drive.
Roll out the photos!
Old 25th May 2010, 14:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Don't keep us hanging there, post the rest of the travelouge soon!!
Old 25th May 2010, 14:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wow!...this is my dream drive & let me hope to make it one day. I have rated 5 starts straight away from my side just for the way you made this trip. Request you to narrate every incident in detail..awaiting for more
Old 25th May 2010, 14:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for delay guys went out

Anyways here it goes

15th may 12:30pm
After i noticed the overheating issue, i just stopped the car after looking for a shed under a tree and opened the bonnet. Just saw one small plastic bag torn apart near the radiator fan. Pulled it out and upon looking i found that the around the hub of the more pieces of plastic is there.
Waited for 5 mins to let it cool down a bit, switched on the fan couple of times by switching on the ignition. Now the tough part, no matter how much i tried it was impossible to get to the hub of the fan without getting burnt lol. Then i tried to get inside the car from front bottom, thanks to the extended bumper it was really tough but i made it somehow and removed some shreds of plastic by rotating the fan. After than fan was little more easier to rotate and doesn't seem like jam.
Earlier a bit of effort was required and fan will stop suddenly rather than getting slow and stop.

15th May 3:00pm
Bangalore, reached my cousins place and told him that i am going to mumbai. He was too tempted to join me but due to work he coudn't.
We had excellent biryani for dinner and come back home. Although i had planned not to have heavy dinner but still couldn't resist. While going back home again filled the car in shell, i know next shell bunk will be in pune most probably.

15 May 9:30pm
After reaching his place i started looking into mapmyindia again and the route. It was GQ NH4 all the way till pune and then i was planning to take the expressway. so i wasn't worried much. Asked cousin for direction to get out of Bangalore and on tumkur road. He made a map with all directions on paper hehe. I had a GPS on my phone with me but still i wanted to be sure, because i have a habit of getting lost in Bangalore. Which will happen later in the journey.
After looking at everything i went to bed around 10:30pm. To be honest at that time i was really scared lol. Couldn't sleep and was again looking for routes and stuff on net, got few screenshots saved on my lappy in case GPS doesn't work. finally went to sleep around 1:30

16th May 3:00am
Alarm clock !!!!! shut it off and again slept off. Then my cousin came to wake me up after 5 mins, told him have slept very late, finally woke up around 4:00am. by 4:30am i was on the road. It was the best decision i had made to start, as early as possible. I was out of bangalore city in 45 mins. But progress was slow because of the under construction flyover. In another 30 mins i was on GQ. now i was making progress, weather was really nice. Around 7am it started drizzling and weather was even better.
I was enjoying every bit of it.
I reached Chitradurga around 8-9am(don't know exactly because i was not keeping a log while going, realized it very late). Anyways its called city of forts but i think it should be called city of wind mills. I have never seen so many wind mills in my life.
While entering the city you will see mountains on both side of road which are filled with wind mills, really amazing view. Stopped there for a while and had some fruits. called up my cousin and told him i have done 300kms. Pune was some 500-550kms from there. I was really happy with the progress and the scenery.

But my joy was short lived :(
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2010, 14:45   #10
BHPian

Post deleted by Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by .anshuman : 12th September 2010 at 18:51. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
Old 25th May 2010, 14:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Whats with this filmy masala style of writing ?? keep going
Old 25th May 2010, 15:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Here are few pics, sorry for bad quality, taken from my mobile.
Attached Thumbnails
Solo drive Chennai-Mumbai-Chennai, A decision made in split second-img_0083.jpg  

Solo drive Chennai-Mumbai-Chennai, A decision made in split second-img_0084.jpg  

Solo drive Chennai-Mumbai-Chennai, A decision made in split second-img_0085.jpg  

Solo drive Chennai-Mumbai-Chennai, A decision made in split second-img_0087.jpg  

Solo drive Chennai-Mumbai-Chennai, A decision made in split second-img_0088.jpg  

Solo drive Chennai-Mumbai-Chennai, A decision made in split second-img_0089.jpg  

Solo drive Chennai-Mumbai-Chennai, A decision made in split second-img_0090.jpg  

Solo drive Chennai-Mumbai-Chennai, A decision made in split second-img_0093.jpg  

Solo drive Chennai-Mumbai-Chennai, A decision made in split second-img_0094.jpg  

Solo drive Chennai-Mumbai-Chennai, A decision made in split second-img_0097.jpg  

Solo drive Chennai-Mumbai-Chennai, A decision made in split second-img_0098.jpg  

Solo drive Chennai-Mumbai-Chennai, A decision made in split second-img_0099.jpg  

Attached Images

Rahulkool is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2010, 15:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

There was no need to have masked your reg plate on the image IMG_0083.JPG as its revealed in IMG_0088.JPG
Old 25th May 2010, 15:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Nice! looking forward to this recount, make sure you post every detail
I will try to Post everything, but my memory is not that good hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
This is sounding really interesting, waiting to see more info and pics in details.
Have you mentioned that you returned from Mumbai single shot within 21 and half hours.
Is yours a diesel or a petrol car, 200 ltrs of petrol would be Rs 10K are flight charges costlier than this?
Yeah its petrol, yeah tickets were more expensive than that

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Nice start to your TL. Such unplanned trips are always cherished whole life. Waiting for the rest.
Thanks buddy ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Man, this is a dream trip of mine; Chennai to Mumbai in 24 hours & here's someone who's done recently; But the same day I did Chennai-Erode-Chennai 820 Kms, broke my previous record of 755 Kms.

I'm glad you did the Chennai-Mumbai-Chennai solo; not everyone has guts to do it. You did in good timings. I'm happy for you & sure that you've learned a lot in this drive, pls don't forget to share them as well. Somehow even without much pics, your travelogue is interesting to read, probably due to the time. Keep it coming.
Yup learned a lot thing, will try to post everything in detail.
I have not taken much pics but will post them anyway.
The thing is i was never overspeeding or driving recklessly to reach fast, but you can maintain very good average speed, thanks to GQ. I don't think anyone can thing of doing this in two lane highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I guess you are the person who had plastic stuck on the radiator fan. Surprisingly you had stopped for snaps. When I'm on solo drive, I stop only for pitstops. No photography at all. Nowadays, I've outsourced the photography to my wife and I just drive.
Roll out the photos!
Yeah same guys lol, there is a long story behind that thread too, going to TASS and all, will post everything hehe. I have taken a few photographs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Don't keep us hanging there, post the rest of the travelouge soon!!
Will post as fast as i can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Wow!...this is my dream drive & let me hope to make it one day. I have rated 5 starts straight away from my side just for the way you made this trip. Request you to narrate every incident in detail..awaiting for more
thanks man .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanju.iitm View Post
Waiting to hear more!
posted hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Whats with this filmy masala style of writing ?? keep going
what filmy style .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
There was no need to have masked your reg plate on the image IMG_0083.JPG as its revealed in IMG_0088.JPG
Hehe ..... yeah noticed that but left it anyways ......

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 12th September 2010 at 16:09. Reason: Posts merged, and excessive smilies cleaned up.
Old 25th May 2010, 15:10   #15
BHPian

A trip to Mumbai and back.. boy this is going to be a interesting travelougue.

Most Viewed