Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2010, 23:16   #1
BHPian

Nature’s Delight – Arasinamakki – Stream of Joy

May month was filled with lot of travelling to Nanjangud/Hassan and other places with hectic schedules.
We just wanted to come out of this mundane Bangalore life.
I was searching for a homestay midst of some nature where nobody can disturb for 2 days at least.
My kid wanted to enjoy waters, some indoor, some outdoor.
Wifey wants some good cooked food and much needed relaxation.
After much googling around Karnataka, we had decided a place near Dharmasthala.

It is called Stream Of Joy at Arasinamakki. This place is around 22kms from Dharmasthala temple.
Booked the homestay on May 22/23 weekend much in advance.
The host Mr.Kashinath was very cordial and just took my name/mobile as booking.
He said they would serve only vegetarian food. No alcohol. Prefarably, no smoking as well.
This was very apt for a family stay. This is what we were looking for.
Stream Of Joy - Home

Route:
As usual, we took the
BLR-Magadi-Kunigal-Bellur Cross-C.R.Patna-Hassan-Sakleshpura-Shiradi Ghat-Gundya-Subramanya Road-Kokkada-Arasinamakki (Shishil Ghat) – Total 325kms

During the stay we made trips to DSL for 3 times. We were lucky to get darshan only on Sunday morning.
While coming back, we wanted to come through Charmadi Ghat and avoid the night traffic on Hassan – BLR route.
Both Shiradi/Charmadi Ghat was a delight to drive and watch beautiful views of western ghats.

Experience:
Got up at 4am. Ready to take off by 5.15am. Reached Bellur Cross at 7am for breakfast. The some stretches of Magadi was filled with fog.
Reached Kokkada junction at 10.45am. It was an awesome drive with early morning cool breeze.

As we reached little early, we decided to get darshan at DSL. Damn, it was crowded as ever. Came back to kokkada junction. From Kokkada junction, we need to go straight instead of the usual left for DSL. As directed by the host, we reached Stream Of Joy at 12.15pm.

First glimpse of Shishila Ghat hills surrounding near the homestay. Awesome views and good green cover everywhere. The homestay is a arecnut plantation with some rubber and all sorts of spices.
A small tributary of netravati flows just behind the homestay. Homestay has 2 Cottages, 3 huts with good basic facilities. Very neatly maintained.

The lunch was ready by 1pm. We had a sumptuous lunch with local delicacies & special sweet. Kid & wife loved the food. Took some rest for 2hrs. The cottage is surrounded by plantation and water stream flows just beside. All kinds of birds come and make soothing noise. No mobile coverage in this area.
During the evening, host took us to Shishileshwara temple near by. And, on the way he took some puffed rice for fish food. As we enter the temple, we see a stream near by. We just sprinkled puffed rice on water surface. Huge fishes just jumped on each other to get them into their mouth. It was a treat to watch. These fishes are called Mahaseer fish. Quite big. Normal length is around 2 -3 feet.
Looked around to see the awesome views of the hills. Arasinamakki is surrounded by Shiradi-Shishila Ghats.

Later in the evening, had a good strong coffee with local snacks. Just went around the plantation.
It had beehive, rafting, swings, birds to watch, spices etc.
Then came to rafting. We need rafting using bamboo sticks on the water stream ourselves. The stream is shallow. Nothing to worry about. Completely safe. It was a sure bliss.

We said to ourselves, we made the right decision to select this homestay.
My kid was running all around the plantation enjoying its natural beauty.
Host Mr.Kashinath was very warmth and looked after us with much care. It was indeed home away from home.

Had dinner, again with local delicacies and special sweet. I would like mention that the food items were really good.
Every food session, we had something new things to taste.
Had a good night sleep with nature’s adobe. Got up early morning just to hear the sound of birds/insects. Truly gifted place.
At 6.15am we left to have darshan at DSL. We just cannot believe the huge crowd gathered for darshan at 7am. It was a Sunday.
At last had a good darshan at 9.15am. Came back to homestay at 10am.
We had a good breakfast with strong cuppa coffee. We were just sweating out after DSL darshan.
Then comes a surprise. Host says “Do you want to bath under waterfalls?”. Of course. We just needed this.

Just opp to the cottage, they prepared some ladder kind-off using arecnut tree trunks. The host switched on the generator.
It pulled water from nearby stream and WOW!!.
Waterfalls coming from the top. About 25ft high. Myself and kid jumped on the raft where the water falls. It was awesome.
It removed most of the muscle pain during the trip.
After waterfalls shower, we just sat and were enjoying the nature around.

Again, we had a sumptuous lunch and a big happy smile on all our faces. The host bid good bye and we left for Bangalore.

Few Photos to start with:
Attached Thumbnails
Nature’s Delight – Arasinamakki – Stream of Joy-img_2134.jpg  

Nature’s Delight – Arasinamakki – Stream of Joy-img_2219.jpg  

Nature’s Delight – Arasinamakki – Stream of Joy-img_2298.jpg  

Nature’s Delight – Arasinamakki – Stream of Joy-img_2268.jpg  

Nature’s Delight – Arasinamakki – Stream of Joy-img_2308.jpg  

Last edited by Dippy : 26th May 2010 at 08:53. Reason: Post edited. Please note that only a maximum of two smilies are allowed per post. Please see the rules.
Old 26th May 2010, 05:52   #2
Team-BHP Support

Nice crisp write-up! Where is the snap of the waterfall?
Old 26th May 2010, 12:08   #3
BHPian

need more pics that would do justice to your write-up boss!!
Old 26th May 2010, 12:28   #4
BHPian

This is amazing. Probably most of us dream of such weekend gateway; for peace and relaxation. Can you provide details / contact of the home stay person ? How much did they charge ?

What about your return journey / route taken ?
Old 26th May 2010, 12:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

@blackstallion76 Nice pics. Nice alloys too
But those ghat pics are of Charmadi Ghats. While retuning did you take the Charmadi route ?
Old 26th May 2010, 13:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice writup and snaps.

How was the road condition from Gundya onwards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45007 View Post
Can you provide details / contact of the home stay person ? How much did they charge ?
Yes, please share the details. Also some snaps of the place, if you have.
Old 26th May 2010, 13:47   #7
BHPian

blackstallion76, you drove past our hometown : Nidle.

Good to know there are Homestays near shishila and arasinamakki. Kokkada, neriya, Kukkinje and mundaje are nearby villages.

Shishila betta is the pointed peak seen from charmadi ghat ( not visible from shiradi ghat )
Attached Thumbnails
Nature’s Delight – Arasinamakki – Stream of Joy-img_2628.jpg  

Nature’s Delight – Arasinamakki – Stream of Joy-img_2634.jpg  

Old 26th May 2010, 13:54   #8
BHPian

Yes, This place is very nice and the food prepared by the host's wife is really great. I had been there about a year back with a gang of about 12 friends.

I still remember the fun we had playing in the river. We used a rubber tube with a rope tight to it and the other end to a tree. Just sail with current and come back against the current.

And also there is a cave near the host's house where you will find hundreds of bats. This cave is connected to a well next to it. You can go through the cave, crawl to the well and come out.

Was fun and looking forward to go there back again
Old 26th May 2010, 14:23   #9
MX6
Senior - BHPian

WOW. Look at the tar on the charmadi ghats! Man, Is that road really in karnataka?
Old 26th May 2010, 15:22   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
WOW. Look at the tar on the charmadi ghats! Man, Is that road really in karnataka?
Yes, i share your thoughts !!! I drove through Charmadi during March this year and the roads were like the same as shown in the photos. Not sure about now !!!
Old 26th May 2010, 16:14   #11
BHPian

I will post pictures tonight. Watch out this space.

While coming back I took the following route:
DSL-Ujre-Charmadi-Kottigehara-Mudigere-Gedlahalli-Belur-Hassan-HoleNarsipura-K.R.Nagar-Mysore-Bangalore.
I think total it was around 400kms return journey. I took this route to try out Charmadi Ghat. And i wanted to avoid night traffic after hassan-bellur cross. So, i thought of taking Mysore-Bangy road.
My Swifty reached 15000kms that night.

Mr.Kashinath: 9845088088, 0821268225
It costs Rs.1100 per person per day including all food/snacks/tea/coffee plus lots of fun around. I think for hut it costs around Rs.850 per person.

Charmadi Ghat road was very good. Road after Gundya was also pretty decent.
Awesome views were from Charmadi Ghat. It has its own flavor.

We did miss out on visit to Cave near by and also a trek to Shingani Gudda. Next time i will make it for sure.

@roamingrao:
The place surrounding DSL are very good. The delicacies are mind blowing with all spices used. In fact, I requested to book one 60x40 site near his homestay.
Old 26th May 2010, 16:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
During the evening, host took us to Shishileshwara temple near by. And, on the way he took some puffed rice for fish food. As we enter the temple, we see a stream near by. We just sprinkled puffed rice on water surface. Huge fishes just jumped on each other to get them into their mouth. It was a treat to watch. These fishes are called Mahaseer fish. Quite big. Normal length is around 2 -3 feet.
Looked around to see the awesome views of the hills. Arasinamakki is surrounded by Shiradi-Shishila Ghats.
Did you know that river near the temple is a notified fish sanctuary? Fishing is banned in the Shishila river within a 2km radius from the temple. I had been to this temple last month when I went for the Amedikallu trek.

btw, how far is this homestay from the Shishila main road?
Old 26th May 2010, 16:33   #13
BHPian

@addyhemige:
Yes. Fishing is banned around this temple. The temple folks said the fishes here are auspicious. It seems some years back there were some folks who put poison to fishes. In fact, there is a board dated 1934 during Birtish rule that fishing is prohibited in this river.
Old 26th May 2010, 16:36   #14
BHPian

From Shishila main road, homestay is around 3kms. It can be easily located.
There is an arche saying Durgaparameshwari temple, Buddha Cave and also green color sign saying "Stream Of Joy".
Old 26th May 2010, 23:06   #15
BHPian

Entrance of the Homestay:
We need to descend at least some 25-30 steps to reach the dining hall and the cottage near by stream.
Attached Thumbnails
Nature’s Delight – Arasinamakki – Stream of Joy-img_2135.jpg  

Nature’s Delight – Arasinamakki – Stream of Joy-img_2136.jpg  

Nature’s Delight – Arasinamakki – Stream of Joy-img_2137.jpg  

Nature’s Delight – Arasinamakki – Stream of Joy-img_2140.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks