Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2010, 09:23   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haithereitsme View Post
Has any one tried the beef with kanji at a small restaurant between nilambur and manjeri ?
Which one? Or you mean any restaurant? There are lots of them on that route.

BTW, Nilambur to Kozhikode via Manjeri is an amazing road. Lots of twists and turns through villages and towns. It keeps one occupied all throughout.

Last edited by sbraj : 28th May 2010 at 09:33.
Old 28th May 2010, 09:28   #32
BHPian

Beef with kanji? Would like to know where. I have always thought that the porotta (kerala paratha) and beef from the small restaurants in the region are unbeatable.
Old 28th May 2010, 10:03   #33
Senior - BHPian

Nice snaps. Nilambur is very beautiful place, and the roads to Nilambur are awesome.

Where is this small resturent which serves beef and kanji? have never tried that combination.
Old 28th May 2010, 10:58   #34
BHPian

Very nice snaps!!!Beautiful.
Old 29th May 2010, 00:13   #35
BHPian

Conolly's plot

Conolly's Plot is the oldest teak plantation, set up sometime in in 1840s and declared as a permanent preservation plot in 1943. Only a part of the original plot was preserved as most of the other parts were used up for timber requirements in war times.

To reach Conolly's plot, you have to drive from Nilambur towards Manjeri/Perinthalmanna side. A little more than a km from the town, you enter a lovely stretch full of fairly large trees, and the turn out to the plot is on your right. There is a Forest Dept information kiosk at the entrance where you have to take tickets to enter the plot. You have to park the cars there as well.

Its a short walk down the small road that leads to the river -
A few photos from Nilambur-img_4423.jpg
beyond a point you have a paved footpath that takes you to a suspension bridge.

A few photos from Nilambur-img_4428.jpg
A few photos from Nilambur-img_4439.jpg
This bridge takes you across the Chaliyar river to the Conolly's plot. This has come up recently - I remember going to the plot in a boat earlier.

A view of the river:
A few photos from Nilambur-img_4425.jpg

An info kiosk at the plot:
A few photos from Nilambur-img_4441.jpg

The biggest teak tree at the plot
A few photos from Nilambur-img_4458.jpg

The board that says it all..
A few photos from Nilambur-img_4442.jpg

Will try to post a few more pics a little later..

Last edited by Bigzero : 29th May 2010 at 00:24.
Old 29th May 2010, 00:37   #36
BHPian

A few more pictures from the Conolly's plot..

A Cheeni tree (Tetrameles Nudiflora) among the teak trees
A few photos from Nilambur-img_4443.jpg

Footpath all around the plot
A few photos from Nilambur-img_4445.jpg

A few photos from Nilambur-img_4448.jpg

A few photos from Nilambur-img_4454.jpg
Old 29th May 2010, 06:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

Apart from the magnificent teak jungles themselves, I am impressed that so much effort has gone into making the Conolly's Plot good for tourism, all those paths, info kiosks and suspension bridges!
Old 29th May 2010, 19:46   #38
BHPian

Conolly's Plot sounds like a Robert Ludlum title!

Awesome place.
Old 30th May 2010, 22:41   #39
BHPian

Excellent snaps!

I have been till Gudalur and turned towards ooty. Never been straight ahead. Will plan this route this monsoon.
Thanks for sharing
Old 30th May 2010, 23:14   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Excellent snaps!

I have been till Gudalur and turned towards ooty. Never been straight ahead. Will plan this route this monsoon.
Thanks for sharing
Plan a trip to Guruvayur via Nilambur! That would be ideal.

I went though the same route, but little did I imagine that the place which I am passing through has so many gems hidden in its closet!

Seems like an ideal trekker's delight!
Old 31st May 2010, 00:08   #41
BHPian

Do plan to stop at the Teak Museum as well. The Museum is a couple of km before the town when you approach from Gudalur, and offers good info on Teak and has also some good bits of peripheral info on the forests in the area. Oh and yes there is a small garden with some lovely flowers at the back as well. I will try to upload some pictures of the place ( Didnt make it there this time, but I have a few photos from my earlier visit a couple of years back ).
Old 1st June 2010, 09:07   #42
BHPian

There is actually more to Nilambur than meets the eye.. as already discussed above, it has the oldest surviving teak plantation in the world and other large teak plantations owned by the government. It is probably the world headquarters of teakwood production, and the quality of the wood here is supposedly the best in the world.

Nilambur was once a densely forested region, but over the last 100 years or so the forest cover has largely receded to the surrounding hills. True, the town is still very green, with patches of protected natural forest and teak plantation areas around the place. However, the real treasure is out of easy reach for the casual tourist - the dense forests that form the Nilambur North and South forest divisions, that cover the slopes of the hills on all three sides of Nilambur valley - the eastern slopes of vellarimala/vavulmala hills on the west, slopes of Gudalur hills on the north and northeast, and on the east the New Amarambalam range of forests on the steep western escarpment of the Nilgiri horst leading upto the Mukurti National Park. Nilambur sourth forest division is actually contiguous with Silent Valley National Park.

To get a flavour of the tropical rainforests of Nilambur, the least inconveninent place to go is Nedungayam. You will not be permitted to go deep into the forest unless with permission from the forest range office. However, the entry point is good enough. Lush green forests teeming with tall canopy trees, a rocky and turbulent river, a riveted steel truss bridge made by the British, an elephant camp, a log house etc are the things that come to my mind - though I haven't been there in 20 years!

If anyone goes there, plesae be friendly to the environment and carry all your plastics and other trash back with you when you return. The place simply can't afford to have irresponsible tourists.
Old 1st June 2010, 09:13   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
Do plan to stop at the Teak Museum as well. The Museum is a couple of km before the town when you approach from Gudalur, and offers good info on Teak and has also some good bits of peripheral info on the forests in the area.
I saw this on the Gudalur-Nilmabur main road (Is it the one right?).
Since I was on a hurry to reach Mysore, did not stop there.
Also looked to me it was closed. (Not sure about it).
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:33   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I saw this on the Gudalur-Nilmabur main road (Is it the one right?).
Since I was on a hurry to reach Mysore, did not stop there.
Also looked to me it was closed. (Not sure about it).
ampere,
this museum and cannolly plots are closed on mondays
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:41   #45
BHPian

bigzero..very well compiled.

I have this feel that being in Kerala I havent explored the flora and fauna that was around me, and now being in Bangalore during my recent trips to the nearby country sides and jungles, I feel delighted. My wife then reminds me by saying "we all grew up among similar and prettier surroundings back home, remember" ? I would be then blinking for a response to her. Probably thats why they say "mutethe mulleku manem illa"(malayalam adage that translates into - we realize the fragrance of the flower that grows in your frontyard only when we are away from it)...ok getting too much philosophical here ...nice compilation..post more , thanks !

Last edited by s3va : 2nd June 2010 at 11:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks