Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2011, 19:52   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: A few photos from Nilambur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
Talks have been on for extending the rail line to Nanjangud and thus connecting to Mysore and beyond ... but that goes right through the nilgiri biosphere, and thats where the problem is.
Yes this is going on for a long time. But as you said the all the environmental guys are up in arms.
Old 5th December 2011, 10:35   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Yes this is going on for a long time. But as you said the all the environmental guys are up in arms.
Ampere, how is the drive from Gudalur to Nilambur? On the last week's trip to Wayanad, we came via Gudalur and i saw a road sign for Nilambur. Want to do that stretch sometimes.
Old 5th December 2011, 10:46   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Ampere, how is the drive from Gudalur to Nilambur? On the last week's trip to Wayanad, we came via Gudalur and i saw a road sign for Nilambur. Want to do that stretch sometimes.
Its very nice drive to Nilambur. A few potholes in between at the Nadugani ghats.
I think some times during the rains, there was a road crack. But now its been mended.
But its one of the beautiful drives I have ever gone through!

Check with Ranjit. He went on that route recently in the last month or two.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 11:09   #64
Senior - BHPian

Coming across this thread, thought of posting a snap my friend captured en-route our trip to Perinthalmanna.

How calm the villages are, which is in stark contrast to say villages in Thrissur, Ernakulam or Thiruvananthapuram. I have been through calmer places in other parts of Kerala, but two important points I have to mention is that road rage is much less here and the natives are much laid back. Great.

View tends to infinity! (in malayalam, nokketha doorathu kannum nattu) Railway tracks flanked by teak trees.

A few photos from Nilambur-301559_10150374694316800_779471799_10077697_225666027_n.jpg
thoma is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 21:28   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Its very nice drive to Nilambur. A few potholes in between at the Nadugani ghats.
I think some times during the rains, there was a road crack. But now its been mended.
But its one of the beautiful drives I have ever gone through!

Check with Ranjit. He went on that route recently in the last month or two.
Nadukani to Nilambur is in great condition. No potholes. There were some sidewall work going on in some stretches
Soccerfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 16:17   #66
BHPian

thanks thoma for that photo "View tends to infinity!" nice one.
sidewall works are still goingon (some three weeks back) in between nadugani and the state border.
Old 7th January 2013, 15:14   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post
However, the real treasure is out of easy reach for the casual tourist .. the eastern slopes of vellarimala/vavulmala hills on the west..
To dust out an old thread, i got a rare chance to venture into the above mentioned restricted eastern slopes of Nilambur hills some weeks back. I tagged along with a medical team who attend to tribal people living (they are under govt. protection, thus the restricted access) deep inside the vavumala reserves on a monthly basis.

To say the least, the forest is very dense and beautifully scary at times. We took a '93 DI MM Major 4x4. Not much pics came out but these are some.

A few photos from Nilambur-dsc06919.jpg

Those are trenches beyond the sand heap to stop elephants from crossing over to tribal colonies.
A few photos from Nilambur-dsc06909.jpg

Trenches looked useless though.
A few photos from Nilambur-dsc06910.jpg

A few photos from Nilambur-dsc06912.jpg
The feel was very much similar to the forest driving in Farcry 2, but with the very important added bit of realism.

And how about waking up every morning and walking up to your bedroom window to expose yourself to something like this
A few photos from Nilambur-dsc01519.jpg
SandyX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 15:05   #68
BHPian

sandy thanks for the info. i was waiting for someone who has travelled this route. i went till one rubber plantations after the tamil nadu border. they told me it is not possible to reach pandalur through up and cape road because forest had made a trench across road. any idea about this?
Old 8th January 2013, 15:49   #69
BHPian

We took the seed farm road to enter the forest. I haven't been through up and cape road before but there is every chance the forest guys might have dug up in between.

Also there is another uncharted path through the dense shola beyond kumbalapuzha, which is the last tribal settlement in the direction we took, which the tribals use to walk down from wayanad forests to nilambur forests. So pandalur will be accessible too.

It takes them an hour to reach here on foot. Any official road ends at kumbalapuzha.
Old 8th January 2013, 22:02   #70
BHPian

This is a beautiful thread and I just happened to see it only now. It also brought back some nostalgic memories of Nilambur and beyond during early eighties when I roamed about the place just for the heck of it. Oh no, it was not trekking. Wanted to explore the forests with another crazy guy like me. It was pure bliss. I forgot most of the names of places there. Yes, I remember there was a path that lead to Gudalur via Marutha through which scores of people, women included, carried headloads of cashew to Tamilnadu because it was quite lucrative to sell them in TN, but it was illegal to carry the nuts from Kerala. A couple of police men used to lounge around, meticulously collecting bribes from these carriers. The roads to Marutha were still on the drawing board and there used to be some rickety jeeps transporting people from the main road (completely forgot the name; there used to a checkpost before Vazhikadavu). More than 20 passengers used to clamber on these jeeps that had to wade through two rivulets. To my horror once I discovered that one of the jeeps didn't even have brakes; the driver managed the vehicle only with gears! This is not an exaggeration.

Another place I went was Panteerayiram acre forest. It meant a forest to the extent of 12000 acres, I was told. It was not a virgin forest but teak plantation.

Yet another trip I distinctly remember is to one place high up in the mountains where contract was given to cut bamboo. Spectacular places they were. I remember seeing a few trucks, including new ones, confiscated at the forest office in Nilambur because they were carrying a few bamboos on them. Carrying green bamboo could lead to confiscation of the vehicle and such vehicles were doomed to rot in that place!
lejhoom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 16:18   #71
BHPian

Great picture, Unfortunately, I happened to see this post only now. It does bring fond memories of my childhood (summer vacations) to be precise, which was spent in a town called Melattur. This small station was on the Shoranur Nilambur route, and we as kids, regularly travelled to Nilambur, just for the heck of it, and also to enjoy a dip in the Karimpuza.

I'm still amazed to see that the signalling systems are still the same, the ritual of reversing the loco, the verdant surroundings, just feels like yesterday once more.
Old 20th April 2015, 17:06   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutoos View Post
Great picture, Unfortunately, I happened to see this post only now. It does bring fond memories of my childhood (summer vacations) to be precise, which was spent in a town called Melattur. This small station was on the Shoranur Nilambur route, and we as kids, regularly travelled to Nilambur, just for the heck of it, and also to enjoy a dip in the Karimpuza.
Infact past Perinthalmanna there are two routes to Nilambur. Once is via Wandoor/Pandikkad while the other is via Melatoor/Kalikavu. Once I tried the Melatoor route. It was beautiful to say the least!
Old 20th April 2015, 18:48   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Infact past Perinthalmanna there are two routes to Nilambur. Once is via Wandoor/Pandikkad while the other is via Melatoor/Kalikavu. Once I tried the Melatoor route. It was beautiful to say the least!
Right you are, but when we were kids, we used to travel by the SRR-NIL train. Also, i remeber that this route was used in parts to shoot train sequence for the Mallu movie No 20 Madras Mail.

I've never driven there and hope that some day in the future just take a drive down memory lane.

Most Viewed