Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2010, 20:33   #1
BHPian

A few photos from Nilambur

This isnt a travelogue, just a few photos from Nilambur, Kerala.

I was in Nilambur a couple of weeks back for a family get together. Being from Nilambur and having spent most of my childhood and teenage there, I have extremely fond memories of the place.

We attended the get-together and chose to stay in a hotel run by KTDC, some 6 kms away from Nilambur. A large number of family members from our extended family had come down from various parts of the world, and many groups like ours moved into some of the hotels in and around Nilambur, apart from the various households in and around the place.

We didnt get much time to do a lot of sight-seeing and picnicking, but we still managed to make a few short stops here and there, and click a few photos as well. I will post a few such snaps with some brief descriptions.

Sorry, no car pics and driving experiences are going to be there in this thread ( though we drove down from Hyderabad )

A few photos from Nilambur-img_4418.jpg

More pictures to follow...

Last edited by Bigzero : 26th May 2010 at 20:35.
Old 26th May 2010, 20:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Cool. Keep them coming. Nice start. The road trip description would be super.
Old 26th May 2010, 20:56   #3
Team-BHP Support

Nice snap! Nilambur always thrills me !
I remember the Gudalur route and the green roads.
Old 26th May 2010, 21:25   #4
BHPian

As I said earlier, we chose the KTDC Tamarind hotel at Karimpuzha, a few km before Nilambur when you approach from Gudalur side.
A few photos from Nilambur-img_4264.jpg

This hotel is around a year old. Okay rooms, decent food ( choice is limited ), and most importantly set in the midst of a lot of greenery.
A few photos from Nilambur-img_4260.jpg

Being away from the town helped. This is the turnout from the main road - taken from the gate of the hotel.
A few photos from Nilambur-img_4261.jpg

Teak plantation right next to the hotel.
A few photos from Nilambur-img_4263.jpg

Oh and yes the place is bang next to the bridge across the Karimpuzha river, a tributary of the chaliyar.
A few photos from Nilambur-img_4266.jpg

Yes.
A few photos from Nilambur-img_4272.jpg

Last edited by Bigzero : 26th May 2010 at 21:32.
Old 26th May 2010, 21:49   #5
BHPian

Go ahead, add more and more...
Old 26th May 2010, 22:33   #6
BHPian

A trip to the railway station

We had to go to the Nilambur Railway Station to pick up someone, and that gave us an opportunity to click some pictures.

The Nilambur Road railway station is the last one on the Shoranur Nilambur line. There's been a lot of effort by local folks to get the line extended to Mysore via Nanjangud - I remember those from the times I was a kid, but nothing has happened on that front. Multiple alignment options had been proposed - including one that goes via Wayanad etc. I guess the tricky terrain plus the fact that the route passes through the sensitive Nilgiri Biosphere reserve have been the main roadblocks.

Anyways, here are some snaps of the place.

Nilambur Road because its around 5-6 kms from Nilambur town.
A few photos from Nilambur-img_4281.jpg

Its a small, humble station with around 5-6 trains daily from Shoranur ( I guess one is from Ernakulam too. )
A few photos from Nilambur-img_4284.jpg

Like most other things in Nilambur, the Railway Station too is set amidst lush greenery. The structure on the left of the picture could be an old goods loading shed. I guess timber was one of the prime reasons the rail line was set up during british rule. By the way, the track in the pic doesnt lead anywhere. It ends somewhere among those trees.
A few photos from Nilambur-img_4285.jpg

The train finally arrives..
A few photos from Nilambur-img_4291.jpg

Everything about the Shoranur-Nilambur line is old. Including Semaphore Signals and old Cabins that houses the levers for the various signals and switches.
A few photos from Nilambur-img_4306.jpg

The train has to change direction to go back to Shoranur. Here the engine, is approaching to connect to the rake to go to Shoranur. A small crowd gathers to view the procedure.
A few photos from Nilambur-img_4307.jpg

There she comes..
A few photos from Nilambur-img_4309.jpg

I am amazed by the skill of the driver here. The engine stops with pinpoint precision, and the assistant quickly connects the engine to the rake.
A few photos from Nilambur-img_4310.jpg

The process over, the train is ready to leave for Shoranur.
A few photos from Nilambur-img_4311.jpg

Last edited by Bigzero : 26th May 2010 at 22:36.
Old 27th May 2010, 06:08   #7
Team-BHP Support

The WDM3 looks beautiful. While coming back from GVR, I saw this station on the way. I was very much tempted to have a look inside. But since I was already late, I just kept going. But I must, it felt beautiful even to see a railway station, at such a green spot!
Old 27th May 2010, 07:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

I'm never ever tired of seeing Kerala; just love all the places in Kerala.
The hotel looks awesome, did you stay over there? Any idea on Tariffs? Trust me, it looks real good.
Old 27th May 2010, 08:05   #9
BHPian

Thanks for the comment folks!

The hotel provides decent accommodation, nothing luxurious, but I would say a good option if you are passing thro the place and want to stay over to catch up with the sights around the place. My respect for KTDC has grown after staying here. The staff is very courteous and helpful, though you miss the proactive touches you get in high-end hotels.

here is the website for the place.

KTDC Tamarind Easy Hotels, Kerala, India

We did get a discount since it was off season.

Will post more pictures in the evening...

Last edited by Bigzero : 27th May 2010 at 08:06.
Old 27th May 2010, 08:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Tariff is a steal & a discount over it is a good deal. On a different thread I saw the tariff of KTDC in Thekkady is like Burj Al-arab & hence was wondering if all KTDC charged the same. Thank God, this is for common people like us.

Ok, so what happens next? The train proceeds to Shornur & then?
Old 27th May 2010, 08:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

and then,
the rythm and speed of the train, the body moving harmonious to the trains side, turns and other movements coupled with the breeze blowing on the face thruough the windows has put bigzero for a quick 40 winks. We hope the train to reach the next signal/station to see a few more pictures.
Old 27th May 2010, 08:37   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
and then,
the rythm and speed of the train, the body moving harmonious to the trains side, turns and other movements coupled with the breeze blowing on the face thruough the windows has put bigzero for a quick 40 winks. We hope the train to reach the next signal/station to see a few more pictures.
Ha ha! I didnt board the train, as I mentioned I had to pick up someone.

Will post some more pictures later in the day, have to rush to the office!
Old 27th May 2010, 08:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

This is one of the oldest (originally meter gauge) rail line sin Kerala, built to ship teak out of the Nilambur forests to Shoranur on the main line. Now it seems to be converted into broad gauge.
Old 27th May 2010, 09:08   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
This is one of the oldest (originally meter gauge) rail line sin Kerala, built to ship teak out of the Nilambur forests to Shoranur on the main line. Now it seems to be converted into broad gauge.
HVK, Yes its a already BG converted. And also it seems its the shortest BG line (66Km).

Nilambur ? Shoranur Railway Line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But yes I love to see rail lines in the thick of the forest.
Gives an amazing thrill.

Last edited by ampere : 27th May 2010 at 09:16.
Old 27th May 2010, 09:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

Yes, ampere, it is now a broad gauge line, as is also evident in the photos. But like many branch lines of the past, this one was also meter gauge.

Most Viewed