Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2010, 07:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Road trip : Delhi - Mumbai - Delhi on my Alto ( with some live updtes - hopefully )

It's that time of the year again where i once again have got an opportunity to satiate my thirst for a real LOOOOONG Drive.

After a very exciting and thrilling road trip of Delhi - Mum - Goa - Karnataka - Indore - Delhi in Dec 2008 on my Spark ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...lhi-spark.html ) i once again have got an opportunity to drive to Mumbai.

Rewind - Got a call from my cousin a month back inviting me ( and family ) to her parents 25th anniversary party on 31st May in Mumbai. I told her that i would definitely come provided i get enough leaves to drive down otherwise it's a NO and she was like PHEW!! you and your drives , Ultimately she pointed the gun and asked me to be there.

Few days back - Mom and dad booked their tickets for 26th and are already on their way to Mumbai as i'm writing this. I again got a text from her to check if me , wifey and bro are making it for the Anniversary and i did not respond at all.

Yesterday - Mine and bros leaves got approved so the road trip is finalised..yipeee but sadly my wife did not get leaves as she recently got promoted ( she would be staying at her moms place for these 6 days ) so sent her ( my cousin ) a text Saying that " Hey i intentionally did not respond to your text as i wanted to reply with a good news".

Now came the question as to which car to take..Since we had already done this stretch on Spark so we decided to do it on my Alto. The best part was that the alto was serviced only a few days back and everything was working pretty fine. Got the balancing and alignment done yesterday , got a concave RVM for better view , mobile/gps holder and few mp3's CD's for the way.

Today -
Have to get a new steering cover and put the headrests on ( i hate them ) as i generally drive w/o them but the absence of it can be risky in case of an emergency. Also planning to get a small pooja done from the temple which i generally do before going on long trips.

Plan

Trip Dates - From 28th May to 2nd June

Start -
From Delhi on 28th @ 8:00 am ( i know it's late but would be reaching home after work at around 7:00 am )

Passengers/Drivers
- 2 ( me and my Bro ) OT - My Bro Did Delhi - Pune last month in a friends Zen

Journey -
Delhi Mumbai non stop in about 24 hours

Reach Mum -
29th @ 8:00 am

In Mum -
29th -31st May

Start from Mum -
1st Jun 12:00 noon

Reach Delhi -
2nd Jun - 6:00 pm ( will come slowly )

3rd June -
Join back work

( Pune and Goa are in agenda if i'm able to get my leaves extended till 6th June )

Will try and post updates while on the trip and also post few pics if network allows. Really don't know if i'm missing on something but that's OK.

So this awesome road trip will start after 25 hours from now..yipeee

Last edited by harishnayak : 27th May 2010 at 07:17. Reason: Spellings
Old 27th May 2010, 08:07   #2
BHPian

hello harish,
even I have an alto and plan to do a Del-Mum road trip in future so please fill in all the details about the trip as soon as you come back.
Try to make it as detailed as possible
which route will you take ?? the one through MP or Gujrat.
And all the best for your trip hope you have a safe one.
Have Fun
Old 27th May 2010, 08:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

If travelling on NH8, watch out for the long jams at the River Narmada bridge between Bharuch and Ankleshwar.
Old 27th May 2010, 10:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiii View Post
hello harish,
even I have an alto and plan to do a Del-Mum road trip in future so please fill in all the details about the trip as soon as you come back.
Try to make it as detailed as possible
which route will you take ?? the one through MP or Gujrat.
And all the best for your trip hope you have a safe one.
Have Fun
Thanks for the wishes,i will definitely write a detailed TL this time.I'll be taking the Gujrat route.There is no way that i'm ever going to take the MP route My spark stilll rattles because of driving on that highway .

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
If travelling on NH8, watch out for the long jams at the River Narmada bridge between Bharuch and Ankleshwar.
Sir - Nice to see your response on my TL , i will definitely use your advice..btw is there any alternate route that i can take to avoid that probable Jam or would i have to just sit in the car and chill
Old 27th May 2010, 10:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
..btw is there any alternate route that i can take to avoid that probable Jam or would i have to just sit in the car and chill
There are 2 ways to get out of the jam.
The first is to go into Bharuch town at the flyover just before you enter town or just before the Narmada River bridge toll gate, and then take the old bridge across the river to Ankleshwar town, and then come out again on NH8. NOt a bad idea, town is not that messy.

The other option would be to simply drive on the wrong side of the road from the time you see the jam building up - as you will see the locals doing - and get to the second bridge which is in use by only light vehicles.
Old 27th May 2010, 10:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Best of luck Harish, looking forward for a great pictorial !!
Old 27th May 2010, 12:45   #7
BHPian

WOW Harish, thats a dream trip waiting for logs and photos
Old 27th May 2010, 14:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
There are 2 ways to get out of the jam.
The first is to go into Bharuch town at the flyover just before you enter town or just before the Narmada River bridge toll gate, and then take the old bridge across the river to Ankleshwar town, and then come out again on NH8. NOt a bad idea, town is not that messy.

The other option would be to simply drive on the wrong side of the road from the time you see the jam building up - as you will see the locals doing - and get to the second bridge which is in use by only light vehicles.
Thanks for the detailed direction , i think i'll take the latter option for convenience. would definitely disturb you if i need any more assistance , of course after looking at my watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Best of luck Harish, looking forward for a great pictorial !!
Thanks!! I'm sure you'll love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjith.rajaram View Post
WOW Harish, thats a dream trip waiting for logs and photos
Sure buddy , even i'm looking forward for the same and that's why i've woken up in the middle of my sleep to share the updates. BTW 10:00 am to 6:00 pm are my sleep timings..BPO connection you see.

Any ways got the pooja done at our temple here. Paid Rs 101 to the Poojari and 20 bucks respectively to his assistants , also came across couple of questions from people visiting the temple asking if i had bought the car second hand and had come for a Vahan Pooja but their jaws dropped when they heard why i had come for the pooja and then followed the enquiries like why such long distance by road , why not a flight , how long does it take , who all is going , are parents ok with this decision etc ..and trust me i enjoyed every moment answering their questions

Take it as belief or take it as superstition but i felt happy after getting this pooja done. Currently my bro has gone to Karol bagh to get the steering cover changed as it's been due for a while now.

The excitement is so killing that i'm just not able to sleep and have only few more hours left before i start getting ready for work

17 odd hours to go before i start the trip..yipee. That's all for now..going back to sleep zzz..

PS - That FFE of my ride doesn't look too good as it's popping out, thought i'll highlight it before someone else points out.
Attached Thumbnails
Road trip : Delhi - Mumbai - Delhi on my Alto ( with some live updtes - hopefully )-harry184-medium.jpg  

Old 27th May 2010, 14:59   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Any ways got the pooja done at our temple here. Paid Rs 101 to the Poojari and 20 bucks respectively to his assistants , also came across couple of questions from people visiting the temple asking if i had bought the car second hand and had come for a Vahan Pooja but their jaws dropped when they heard why i had come for the pooja and then followed the enquiries like why such long distance by road , why not a flight , how long does it take , who all is going , are parents ok with this decision etc ..and trust me i enjoyed every moment answering their questions
Even I agree with you, Pooja is must before you start a long trip. These days we definably need Gods grace along with some luck as you will find many maniacs in the highway

I see you have changed the silencer + Alloys of your ALTO, looks cool & great. Do you have any drop in mileage bcoz of the silencer?
Old 27th May 2010, 15:33   #10
kkg
BHPian

Best of luck for another fabulous trip of yours. I am simply jealous for this.

One more thing, have you ever thought of removing the tints of you car? I have heard people getting into trouble for this. Do share you experiences as early as possible.
Old 27th May 2010, 16:58   #11
BHPian

Just wanted to wish you all the best for your long drive. While we eagerly wait for the pics and details you drive safe in the awesome looking Alto.
Old 27th May 2010, 17:16   #12
BHPian

harish,
one more thing please precisely calculate the distance you travelled, amount of fuel, mileage you achieved and the total cost you bore for the trip.
Thank You
Old 27th May 2010, 18:26   #13
BHPian

Quote:
harish,
one more thing please precisely calculate the distance you travelled, amount of fuel, mileage you achieved and the total cost you bore for the trip.
Thank You
Yogi dont worry about this, every team BHPian start their travelogues with the numbers.

@ harishnayak, What do you say Harish ?
Old 28th May 2010, 05:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even I agree with you, Pooja is must before you start a long trip. These days we definably need Gods grace along with some luck as you will find many maniacs in the highway

I see you have changed the silencer + Alloys of your ALTO, looks cool & great. Do you have any drop in mileage bcoz of the silencer?
I couldnt agree anymore. Talking about mileage it's only increased

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
Best of luck for another fabulous trip of yours. I am simply jealous for this.

One more thing, have you ever thought of removing the tints of you car? I have heard people getting into trouble for this. Do share you experiences as early as possible.
Thanks for the wishes and don't be J i'm sure you'll do this in your small wonder. The tints are ver very light in fact i was planning to get even darker ones for this trip considering the wrath of sun that i've to go through while passing thru RJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyBoyKK View Post
Just wanted to wish you all the best for your long drive. While we eagerly wait for the pics and details you drive safe in the awesome looking Alto.
Thanks..i'll surely post lots of them.

Quote:
harish,
Thank You
I did that in my last trip and the same would be done for this one too + any additional questions would be welcomed.

Quote:
Yogi dont worry about this, every team BHPian start their travelogues with the numbers.

@ harishnayak, What do you say Harish ?
You bet.

So finally it's 5:20 am and i'll be leaving for home in next 15 minutes and would hopefully start the journey at around 7:00 am.

just 2 more hours to go and i couldn't have been more excited. Will keep posting my status /pics real time based upon the connection.Cheers!!!
Old 28th May 2010, 08:28   #15
BHPian

I am on my way back from Ahmedabad and at present in RTDC Sahapura. I will leave for Noida in the next 1 hour and hope to spot you enroute.
All the best for your trip.

Most Viewed