Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2010, 20:10   #31
Senior - BHPian

thanks singh bhp..this hwy is a dream to drive on. Btw which car r
Are you planning to do it on??

Update- took a short nap while bro was driving. Crossing the udaipur bypass now and have travelled 680 from delhi so far.
The toll tickets are really taking a toll on our pockets lol.we've almost paid a toll of re1 per km travelled
Old 28th May 2010, 21:14   #32
Senior - BHPian

Good going, so you covered around 700 kms in 13hrs.
That's decent running. Man how much have you paid for the toll till now.Sure the toll is too much if you say it's around 1rs. per Km.
Hope the concession period for tolls end soon, so that we can get a free ride
Old 28th May 2010, 23:35   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Good going, so you covered around 700 kms in 13hrs.
That's decent running. Man how much have you paid for the toll till now.Sure the toll is too much if you say it's around 1rs. per Km.
Hope the concession period for tolls end soon, so that we can get a free ride
i have all the toll amounts kms etc recorded on a notebook but cant share the exact amount right now due to zero visibilty inside the cabin.
I will give out a detailed report maybe once reach mum and get an internet connection on my lappy.
Currently its 870 on the trip meter and and the milestone says ahmdabad as 70 kms.

Hv sir - when can i expect the bridge cos i dont think iv crossed one so far??

One intersting thing tht happened and hour back was when we realised that we had only about 500 bucks left and about 8 litres of petrol left in the car. After enquiring a lot we had to take a diversion to get to a atm..i thanked my stars that the atm was working otherwise we would have been in a tight spot.

As im writing this we've done 880 kms and brother has already started thinking loud about taking a brk and resume the journey tom but im against it.

Question is whether we should make a night halt or not..lets see what happens
Old 28th May 2010, 23:41   #34
Senior - BHPian

Ahmedabad-Baroda-Bharuch-River Narmada Bridge-Ankleshwar-Surat
Old 28th May 2010, 23:43   #35
MX6
Senior - BHPian

A night halt near Surat is advisable. You might run in to heavy truck traffic post that. It's good as long as you keep a good pace. But if you get in to a truck traffic snarl, then fatigue factor might set in. But what ever the decision is, keep us posted.
Old 29th May 2010, 00:04   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Ahmedabad-Baroda-Bharuch-River Narmada Bridge-Ankleshwar-Surat
gotcha thanks!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
A night halt near Surat is advisable. You might run in to heavy truck traffic post that. It's good as long as you keep a good pace. But if you get in to a truck traffic snarl, then fatigue factor might set in. But what ever the decision is, keep us posted.
hmm not a bad idea but so far the plan is to continue.getting stuck in a jam is the last thing i wanna do.

An interesting fact - this is the first time ive done over 900 kms ( so far) in my alto at a stretch and hopefully more.

Update- mumbai milestone says 556
Old 29th May 2010, 00:22   #37
Senior - BHPian

Again I will request hvkumar to update/validate the information below.

For hotels in Ahmedabad, Baroda and Surat one has to go into these cities. The only places where hotels are available on the Highway are Ankleshwar, after the Narmada Bridge Or around Bharuch railway station if you go into the town in case you decide to take the old iron bridge over the Narmada.

As you come to Ankleswar after getting off the Narmada toll bridge you will be on a sweeping right hander which is actually a couple of kilometers in itself. You will come to the first flyover of Ankleswar about 6-8 kms from the Narmada. If you go parallel to the flyover you will come to the intersection below. Take a left and immediate right (5 meters) and you are at the in gate of hotel Sadanand. Room tariff 1500 and above. I have been staying here since 98 whenever I am in the area.

If you go straight over the flyover then after another flyover you will see a road coming from your right and this along with the NH you are on look like the two short arms of the inverted Y with the stem of the Y being the NH continuing towrds Surat. At the intersection of the two short legs there are a couple of hotels.

The other short leg of Y on your right is actually the internal road coming from Bharuch and over the Narmada via the old iron bridge(similar to the Shahdara bridge (only white instead of Red colour). This is a straight road all the way from the iron bridge up to this Y point where it merges into the NH.

Also consider this that beyond Anand(after Surat) and more so after Vapi there are stretches that are arrow straight and sort of go up long rolling hills and down the other side several times much like the road between Pathankot and Jammu that you have already done. Only thing that these up and downs are really long and straight and can make one drowsy even during a routine day run so be careful if you decide to continue.

Sorry for the frequent corrections but my memory is a bit rusty. Vapi also has hotels on the highway. Though the NH flies over the city via either 3 flyovers or is it a continues one I cannot recall. However on the Vapi Silvassa road intersection which should be under the third flyover to your left is the hotel fortune. Just beyond it again on the left turn from the intersection there are a few more. After this I believe the next hotel should be on the Manor Intersection.

Do note that I am not counting eatries and other pitstops but only places with lodging arrangements.

Last edited by khoj : 29th May 2010 at 00:40.
Old 29th May 2010, 02:54   #38
Senior - BHPian

@harish: you lucky son of a ***. How do you manage your chutties man? Anyway best of luck with your trip and have a safe journey. I am sure you will have it easy with so many online guides every km of the way.
OT: Missed you a few days back at the shankar road market, am not sure if it was you driving as I didnot recognize your alto up front but heard the FFE and stopped but you carried on. It was around 6 in the evening and you took a right turn at the crossing before the Sindhi sweet shop and we came face to face.
Old 29th May 2010, 06:57   #39
Senior - BHPian

23 hours of non stop driving, no sleep breaks and 1280 kms from delhi and mh is still 170 kms
Old 29th May 2010, 06:59   #40
Senior - BHPian

Good show, Harish, you are just 3 hours to Bombay
Old 29th May 2010, 07:10   #41
Senior - BHPian

khoj, the number of hotels on the NH8 between Ahmedabad and Bombay is uninspiring, but let me add to your list:

Surat bypass, after Tap Bridge - Hotel Vijay Palace & Pacific Inn
Surat bypass - Gujarat Tourism Hotel Toran
Near Tala - Hotel Alfa, Hotel Alma
Pardi - Hotel Srinath/ Hotel Vishram
Vapi - Hotel Fortune, Hotel Woodlands
Bhilad - Hotel Regal
Charoti - Hotel Asoka, Hotel Apsara, Hotel Athithi
Manor - Exotic Retreat
Ghodbunder - Hotel Fountain, Express Inn

All the hotels I mentioned are right on the NH8, without having to go into town. Of all, I think the only good choices are in Vapi town on the bypass itself.

Last edited by hvkumar : 29th May 2010 at 07:11.
Old 29th May 2010, 07:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Ghodbunder - Hotel Fountain, Express Inn
Located right at the junction. Pretty good hotels in the range of 2k + taxes and u also have a good punjabi dhaba near it.

HVK sir- That dhaba's name ? I forgot
Old 29th May 2010, 07:53   #43
Senior - BHPian

The hotel is Fountain at the junction where NH8 forks off towards Bombay and Thane. I don't know the dhaaba name, but before Ghodbunder you have several dhaabas including Pritam ka Dhaaba.
Old 29th May 2010, 08:25   #44
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Amazing. Reached Fountain at Ghodbunder?
Old 29th May 2010, 08:34   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Did you do Kishangarh-Ajmer - Beawer - Udiapur route or Kinshangarh-Nasirabad-Chittor-Udaipur??

I find the latter longer by about only 20 kms but much faster.

OT: For my trip last week Delhi-Bhuj-Delhi I paid ~Rs5000 for fuel and ~Rs1500 for tolls!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks