Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2010, 12:34   #136
BHPian

What a lovely thread!
I am liking it more because a traveller from North comes down all the way and we are getting his perspective.
Bad news is that, I have fallen for the mHawk now!
Old 2nd July 2010, 16:29   #137
BHPian

SS da,

Just hooked back to your thread after our own 20 days drive to down south. Great snaps, specially, Goa monsoon shots. We missed that. We visited both Malpe and Kaup beaches, and I agree with MX6 that Kaup is less commercialized and cleaner then Malpe. Apart from Star's pics you'll find snaps of Kaup in my TL to be started very soon. Medicari-Puttur is an amazing drive in terms of green nature views for people from north like us. Despite being there in monsoon, we missed rains on beaches in this trip (though I got gud doses of rains when on road and accompanying exciting experience!)! I was desperate to see what you saw at malpe, but couldn't.

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 2nd July 2010 at 16:32.
Old 2nd July 2010, 16:37   #138
MX6
Senior - BHPian

And LDL. Did you know that the night you reached Satara, 2 hours later Ranjith.Rajaram reached pune from Mysore.
You both have taken NH4 from Hubli together till Satara with may be 10 - 15 mins gap between each other! Did you see any Pune registration Swift on the way?
Old 2nd July 2010, 17:41   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
And LDL. Did you know that the night you reached Satara, 2 hours later Ranjith.Rajaram reached pune from Mysore.
You both have taken NH4 from Hubli together till Satara with may be 10 - 15 mins gap between each other! Did you see any Pune registration Swift on the way?
Oh no! may be or may be not! Can't remember exactly as Swift is one great hatch (sply DI ones) that always give good speed company to me on highways. I have found them on most of my long runs. So may be we were together on road at the same time but didn't recognize. Could have been so good, have we met him bang on highway! I was always on lookout on back of every car for T-BHP sticker (though I too still dont have one ).
Old 2nd July 2010, 20:55   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
After reading your directions from Manipal to Madikeri ( karkala on your way ) reminded me of my Hostel Days in Karkala. Do you have any pics from there??
No I'm afraid I don't have pics from Karkala. Perhaps Samurai can do the honours, since he passes that way quite frequently?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
What a lovely thread!
I am liking it more because a traveller from North comes down all the way and we are getting his perspective.
Bad news is that, I have fallen for the mHawk now!
Yes, the perspective of the traveller from the north of the country - my B-I-L's daughters go to school at Udupi in sandals without socks (something like this)
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-p6150209k100.jpg

carrying umbrellas, every single day from May to August. That kind of footwear at school would be unthinkable up north, and as to umbrellas, well, I don't have a single shop selling umbrellas in a radius of 7 km from home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
SS da,

Just hooked back to your thread after our own 20 days drive to down south. Great snaps, specially, Goa monsoon shots. We missed that. We visited both Malpe and Kaup beaches, and I agree with MX6 that Kaup is less commercialized and cleaner then Malpe. Apart from Star's pics you'll find snaps of Kaup in my TL to be started very soon. Medicari-Puttur is an amazing drive in terms of green nature views for people from north like us.
Look forward to your travelogue!
Old 3rd July 2010, 07:45   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Around Coorg

Constant rain and leaden grey skies is always a big factor to confine one to the insides of a house or car!
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dsc00753k100.jpg

Our first sight-seeing trip from Madikeri was to the Abbey (also spelt Abbi) Falls. Now this is one place where one needs to walk down a fair number of steps to reach the base of the Falls, and when it's pouring (and chilly), the enthusiasm to do so is always a little less! Here are the pics at the Falls.

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dsc00735k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dsc00736k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dsc00739k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dsc00740k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dsc00741k100.jpg

Jackfruit is also native to WB, and we love the ripe variety. A treeful of jackfruit meant temptation for us.
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dsc00734k100.jpg

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 3rd July 2010 at 07:46.
Old 3rd July 2010, 08:17   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

By the time we started on our way back from Abbey Falls, it was raining cats... and dogs preferred to stay in shelter!
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-rajah-seatk100.jpg

Convenient stop at the Rajah's Seat - ok, in this kind of weather, even the Rajah wouldn't have dropped by here...
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-rajah-seat-1k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-rajah-seat-2k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-rajah-seat-3k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-rajah-seat-4k100.jpg

The view of the valley below would have been great on a clear day, I'm sure, but this is all we got to see.
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-rajah-seat-5k100.jpg

Well-maintained park surrounding the seat...
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-rajah-seat-6k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-rajah-seat-7k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-rajah-seat-8k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-rajah-seat-9k100.jpg

...and there's a toy train running next door - but no ride for us, because the train would only run if at least 15 passengers are present. Why?
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-rajah-seat-10k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-rajah-seat-12k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-rajah-seat-13k100.jpg

Rising cost of diesel and steel, you know! However, if you have a kid aged 5 years or less, and he can make loud enough noises, he gets in free!!!
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-rajah-seat-11k100.jpg

Quote:
A treeful of jackfruit meant temptation for us.
Time to indulge...
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-rajah-seat-15k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-rajah-seat-16k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-rajah-seat-14k100.jpg
Old 3rd July 2010, 08:38   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

A Homestay

Coorg is famous for all the homestays in the midst of nature, and before our reservation at the East End Hotel came through, we had been considering experiencing one. As a result, we had contacted this one. However, once our confirmation at the East End came through, we were totally unable to get through on the gentleman's phone and inform him about the change of plans - I was sure he would be cursing us for a no-show.

We therefore decided to take a trip to the place (about 10 km from Madikeri) and apologise in person - as well as meet a BHPian. We soon realized the advantage of 4WD in slush, and also why almost every single SUV in the Coorg region is a 4WD.
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-cc.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-cc-1.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-cc-2.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-cc-3.jpg

However, the place appeared utterly deserted, though there was a vehicle parked out front.
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-cc-4.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-cc-5.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-cc-6.jpg

Disappointed, we returned. It was a pleasant drive nonetheless.
Old 3rd July 2010, 08:53   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
No I'm afraid I don't have pics from Karkala. Perhaps Samurai can do the honours, since he passes that way quite frequently?
I wouldn't know what to shoot in Karkala...

Quote:
Yes, the perspective of the traveller from the north of the country - my B-I-L's daughters go to school at Udupi in sandals without socks (something like this)

carrying umbrellas, every single day from May to August. That kind of footwear at school would be unthinkable up north, and as to umbrellas, well, I don't have a single shop selling umbrellas in a radius of 7 km from home.
Until September all students wear open sandals due to the rain. Leather shoes come into play only after that.
Old 3rd July 2010, 09:36   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Abbey Falls

Here's a video from Abbey Falls, to convey the majesty of the massive flow of water.

Compare this to another random video from YouTube, where the flow of water is far less.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 3rd July 2010 at 09:37.
Old 3rd July 2010, 10:39   #146
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Constant rain and leaden grey skies is always a big factor to confine one to the insides of a house or car!
Guess you are not the sridevi in green saree types
I used to soak up in the rain. I never carried an umbrella or a raincoat during the years 1994 till 1998 when I was in Manipal. Used to go dripping wet during monsoons to where ever I went.
I was nicknamed Rain-Man by some friends. Nothing to do with the movie!
And varuna has not been kind with me since last 1 year or so.
Old 3rd July 2010, 10:49   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Coorg is famous for all the homestays in the midst of nature, and before our reservation at the East End Hotel came through, we had been considering experiencing one. As a result, we had contacted this one. However, once our confirmation at the East End came through, we were totally unable to get through on the gentleman's phone and inform him about the change of plans - I was sure he would be cursing us for a no-show.

We therefore decided to take a trip to the place (about 10 km from Madikeri) and apologise in person - as well as meet a BHPian. We soon realized the advantage of 4WD in slush, and also why almost every single SUV in the Coorg region is a 4WD.

However, the place appeared utterly deserted, though there was a vehicle parked out front.

Disappointed, we returned. It was a pleasant drive nonetheless.
Hey Dr Sengupta, I guess you are referring to me here. Well, like you had asked me, I did wait for your confirmation,but then I had forgotten to save your number to call you back. Once there was no news from your end, I assumed you had got the accommodation, as had been mentioned by you.

Regarding our homestay,it is just 5kms from Madikeri, not 10. I was in Bangalore at the time you visited Coorg,but my cooking and cleaning staff was at the place. And the Jeep you saw outside is mine. I use the car more often. No hard feelings at all.
Old 3rd July 2010, 10:50   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Dubare Elephant Camp

We were joined by friends in the afternoon at Madikeri, and our destination was the Dubare Elephant Camp near Kushalnagar, some 30-odd km away.
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dubare-0k100.jpg

Narrow roads, open fields and tall palms on the way
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dubare-1k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dubare-2k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dubare-3k100.jpg

Once we reached, we realized the River Kaveri was almost overflowing its banks in a torrent, and we had to take a boat across it to reach the camp.

Scary journey
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dubare-4k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dubare-5k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dubare-8k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dubare-6k100.jpg

It helped boost confidence no end to have those life jackets on!
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dubare-7k100.jpg

Once across, the sign says "No Photography", but a smiling forest guard told us to go right ahead and take as many pics as we wanted.
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dubare-9k100.jpg

So we did! Pics coming up...
Old 3rd July 2010, 10:59   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Elephants, elephants, and more elephants...
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dubare-10k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dubare-11k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dubare-12k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dubare-13k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dubare-14k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dubare-15k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dubare-16k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dubare-17k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dubare-18k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dubare-19k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dubare-20k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dubare-21k100.jpg

Don't feed them...
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dubare-22k100.jpg

...except at breakfast time!
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dubare-23k100.jpg

And then it was time to start feeling scared again, as the Hawk-on-fours waited patiently on the other side.
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dubare-24k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dubare-25k100.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dubare-26k100.jpg
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:11   #150
BHPian

Nice pics there SS da.

You seem to have had typical full-fledged rain experience at Coorg. That Elephant Safari spot we missed due to paucity of time, though had Elephant safari somewhere else, where?. But, yes, Abhey falls in monsoon was awesome, it was roaring like anything.

Most Viewed