Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2010, 14:50   #31
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
where you will see the vehicle in the photo - the poistion it was in where you have opened the shutter (pressed the shutter release button) or where you have closed it? or a blurred image all through out?
You see the vehicle in the photo based on the speed of the vehicle. If it is moving quick, then you may not see the vehicle at all.
In this case, it is evident that the vehicle was first stationary for some time when the shutter was opened and then it started moving front. Hence you see the vehicle on the extreme right and then when it has moved, there's no blurred vehicle traced across, and only the headlight streak is caught.

If the vehicle is moving too slow, then you'd see it blurred throughout the photo. If it's stationary the whole time the shutter is open, you'd see the vehicle clearly in it's place, but the lights don't form the laser kind of streak. If it's moving too fast, you don't see the vehicle at all. If it's stationary partly and then moves, you see it in the place where it was stationary in the photo as in SSTs photo above.

SST. I got the fuse box checked. It was only that fuse which incidentally had a wire inserted when the fuse blew. Apparently, the last guy didn't replace that fuse and took this short cut. Now the wire shorted giving the spark as well as resetting the player and a/c. Had the fuse replaced today for 20 bucks and got the nearby fuses checked. So MP trip is on knowing that my a/c won't trip!

Last edited by MX6 : 11th June 2010 at 14:54.
Old 11th June 2010, 15:22   #32
Team-BHP Support

Heisenberg Rules !
It is never a certainty!
Old 11th June 2010, 15:32   #33
Team-BHP Support

mHawk has reached Udupi at 3PM. On the way SST dropped into Shetty Lunch Home dreaming about Chicken Ghee Roast. But he didn't know about the waiting period of 1 hour. So, no ghee roast.
Old 11th June 2010, 15:49   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
mHawk has reached Udupi at 3PM. On the way SST dropped into Shetty Lunch Home dreaming about Chicken Ghee Roast. But he didn't know about the waiting period of 1 hour. So, no ghee roast.
Another one didn't get to taste Ghee Roast . Off late all manipal / Udipi threads are full of Shetty's Ghee Roast. I think its high time they should do courier service to nearby cities!
Old 11th June 2010, 16:12   #35
BHPian

but cudn't resist...
Samurai-san: last week I had this ghee roast chicken for the first time in my life at mangalore at hotel Maharaja or something! amazing it was!
Old 11th June 2010, 16:23   #36
Senior - BHPian

More Off-Topic: Can someone please create specify here or in a new thread what is this Shetty's Ghee Roast? Am off to Mangalore next week and would not want to miss having one if it is so great.
Old 11th June 2010, 16:41   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
More Off-Topic: Can someone please create specify here or in a new thread what is this Shetty's Ghee Roast? Am off to Mangalore next week and would not want to miss having one if it is so great.
You may want to check this out The Hindu : Metro Plus Bangalore / Eating Out : Somethin' fishy
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...i-manipal.html

Found them on Googling
Old 11th June 2010, 17:04   #38
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a ton, MileCruncher! After the Hindu article and GSMINC's report, can't wait to get there!Apologies for the OT guys! End of it.
Old 11th June 2010, 20:29   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

2700 km covered till now, and looking forward to more. Finally, it seems the rains are here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
In this case, it is evident that the vehicle was first stationary for some time when the shutter was opened and then it started moving front. Hence you see the vehicle on the extreme right and then when it has moved, there's no blurred vehicle traced across, and only the headlight streak is caught.
Bingo - you got it exactly.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Another one didn't get to taste Ghee Roast . Off late all manipal / Udipi threads are full of Shetty's Ghee Roast. I think its high time they should do courier service to nearby cities!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
but cudn't resist...
Samurai-san: last week I had this ghee roast chicken for the first time in my life at mangalore at hotel Maharaja or something! amazing it was!
One whole hour to serve up a popular dish like the chicken ghee roast? What do they do, milk a cow and prepare the ghee freshly first?

Well, never mind... I had to check out Samurai's famous backyard (more like the front yard) to give the Hawk-on-fours a taste of its natural terrain.

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-mawk-fours-manipal.jpg

Will post up details of the Goa section of the trip as soon as I get some time and a fast BB connection.
Old 12th June 2010, 00:40   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

The Kingstork Hotel at Calangute: A Review

We stayed at the Kingstork hotel at Calangute, a small 10-room affair which was squeaky clean and quite comfortable. Information about this hotel can be had from their website, :: Kingstork Beach Resort :: Home. However, I'm posting a quick review and my impressions.

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-kingstork2.jpg

First, the booking process. The owner, Mr. Stanley Ferrao, had been prompt in responding to my emails, and accommodating enough to adjust for the one day of delay I had in reaching Goa. He did not ask for an advance (though I specifically asked whether he needed one), and offered me a good off-season rate of 1200 INR inclusive of taxes and complimentary breakfast.

We arrived at the hotel somewhat late in the evening, and had to locate the place. We called Mr. Ferrao a couple of times, and when we took more than our fair share of time to reach, he called back himself.

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-kingstork6.jpg

About the owner: He's 51 years old, and is an Enfield enthusiast - has a Royal Enfield 1962 parked away, which he also takes out on long rides when the weather is good.

About the hotel: A 10-room affair. The southern part of Calangute beach is accessible by a 2-minute walk along a road behind the hotel - you can hear the sea from the hotel lawns though. The split AC works well (though voltage fluctuation is a problem and it trips occasionally), the toilet is sparkling clean with running hot and cold water, and there's a stocked fridge in the room too.

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-kingstork3.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-kingstork1.jpg

On the negative side, there is no room service, and in fact one is dissuaded from eating and smoking in the rooms. No electric kettle or provision for bed tea either. The restaurant part is outsourced to someone who doesn't do a very good job of it - the crockery is dirty and cracked, and the feel-good factor of the rooms is a big contrast to the not-so-good restaurant experience. It's also open-air, so humidity is a problem at this time of the year. The breakfast is minimal - option of "1 serving of cornflakes/porridge and milk" or "2 eggs as you like it and 2 slices of toast", plus coffee/tea.

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-kingstork4.jpg

The swimming pool is clean and well-maintained, and apart from a good swim, you have the option of being served refreshments at the counter alongside too. And it is quite a pretty sight at night too - all rooms face the pool.

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-kingstork5.jpg

My take: It's good value for money overall, but we preferred other places to eat.

Edit: One doesn't get free drinking water - you pay for the Bisleri in the fridge @ 25INR/bottle. And the car gets to be parked on the road in front of the reception, though there's someone there all night to keep an eye on it.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 12th June 2010 at 00:48.
Old 12th June 2010, 03:55   #41
BHPian

He SS traveller,
Recently we stayed at a hotel ten steps away from this one called Dona Julia. Very nice and no frills hotel with pool and yes free drinking water along with AC and fridge in the rooms and all this for 900 Bucks! and food also served inside. We stayed there twice.
This info is just for other bhpians .
Old 12th June 2010, 08:35   #42
Team-BHP Support

I have temporarily hosted SS-T's Mahape photo/video at my hosting site until SS-T gets back to Delhi and puts it in the right place.

SS-T at Mahape - Samurai's Photos
Old 12th June 2010, 09:55   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
My take: It's good value for money overall, but we preferred other places to eat.
Thanks for the review, SST. Nice write up too! Looking forward for more from your journey.
Old 12th June 2010, 11:23   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more pics from the Kingstork hotel...

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-kingstork11.jpg

Reception
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-kingstork7.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-kingstork8.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-kingstork10.jpg

Hawk-on-fours parked in front of the reception
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-kingstork9.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
...a hotel...called Dona Julia. Very nice and no frills hotel with pool and yes free drinking water along with AC and fridge in the rooms and all this for 900 Bucks! and food also served inside. We stayed there twice.
Dona Julia is across the lane, but it seemed not to be in operation at that time. In fact, during the off-season, a lot of shops, restaurants and hotels are shut down and/or are being renovated.
Quote:
I have temporarily hosted SS-T's Mahape photo/video at my hosting site until SS-T gets back to Delhi and puts it in the right place.
SS-T at Mahape - Samurai's Photos
Thank you, Samurai. It was a pleasure chatting with you last evening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post
Thanks for the review, SST. Nice write up too! Looking forward for more from your journey.
You're welcome, ET.
Old 12th June 2010, 20:11   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Hotel Astoria in Assagao: A Review

This hotel (Hotel ASTORIA a family-run heritage hotel) is a low-budget non-AC hotel in Assagao, where we dropped in for lunch and ended up taking a round of the estate. Non-AC gigantic rooms with high ceilings, and located within a picturesque lush green estate (though far away from a beach). Would love to stay here during winter. Some photos from the place.

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-astoria1.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dsc00427.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-astoria3.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dsc00425.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dsc00426.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dsc00437.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-astoria2.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-astoria0.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-goan-chilli-chicken.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks