Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2010, 14:41   #121
Senior - BHPian

Doc, Malpe & Goa just dug up so many memories. Amazing pictures!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
End point is not like before. It's an eyesore now sadly.
End Point and few other places just got me and wifey really disappointed and made us cut short our trip.
Old 1st July 2010, 20:04   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Must complain about the quality of the OE wheel wrench supplied, though.
Maybe MM should introduce Spen Kings wheel wrench as a tribute to him. I'm sure it's out of patent/ copyright if ever there was one.

Incidentally not a word about King anywhere in TBhp. Considering how passionate the 4x4 crowd is. Strange.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 1st July 2010, 20:53   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We decided to skip Kaup (or is it Kapu?) beach, being told that there are no similar places to shelter from the rain there. Next year, maybe?
Hi SS da,

What you missed at Kaup beach can be experienced in a not so exciting way (by looking at the photographs) here in this thread of mine

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-meetha-2.html

Refer posts #131 & #133. We were there on 29th May. There was no sign of rains those days.

Your log is going great, look forward to the next chapters.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 1st July 2010 at 21:11.
Old 1st July 2010, 21:46   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Doc, Malpe & Goa just dug up so many memories. Amazing pictures!

End Point and few other places just got me and wifey really disappointed and made us cut short our trip.
Well, MC, for us the journey to Manipal and beyond had been one of discovery, of new sights and vistas, of experiences we've never had before. All my previous journeys to the south of the country had been in winters, and were short and somewhat packaged. This time, we decided to break away from the usual, and take a look at what the south-west monsoons look like on the western coast of India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hi SS da,

What you missed at Kaup beach can be experienced in a not so exciting way (by looking at the photographs) here in this thread of mine

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-meetha-2.html

Refer posts #131 & #133. We were there on 29th May. There was no sign of rains those days.

Your log is going great, look forward to the next chapters.
Thanks, SV. Your travelog was touching, I read it end to end rather than just post #131 & #133.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Maybe MM should introduce Spen Kings wheel wrench as a tribute to him. I'm sure it's out of patent/ copyright if ever there was one.

Incidentally not a word about King anywhere in TBhp. Considering how passionate the 4x4 crowd is. Strange.
Just realized he passed away last week, and that too, sadly, as a result of an accident. Report: Spen King, father of the Range Rover, dead at age 85 — Autoblog). Missed the news earlier.
Old 1st July 2010, 21:49   #125
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Kaup or kappu is the place to be in. Malpe is more a fishermen's hamlet. Do have a look at Star's kaup photos ss.
Old 1st July 2010, 22:02   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

To continue, our last evening at Manipal was spent over dinner at the Guzzlers' Inn (where, contrary to the name, we didn't actually find any ). The food was good, though not excellent, and the reddish low-light ambience wasn't too much to my liking.
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-pic.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-pic-1.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-pic-2.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-pic-3.jpg

The next morning, we were on our way to Madikeri, following Samurai's route plan, via Karkala, Moodubidri, Bantwal, Puttur & Sulya. A wrong turn somewhere after Karkala found us headed towards Dharmasthala, but a phone call to Samurai soon put us back on track. Thanks again, Samurai, I've managed to impose myself all so frequently on you!

A few pics on the way to Madikeri.
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-pic-4.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-pic-5.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-pic-6.jpg

We checked into the East End Hotel at Madikeri, and Hawk-on-fours got a well-deserved clean-up.
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-dsc00731k100.jpg
Old 1st July 2010, 22:45   #127
MX6
Senior - BHPian

So did you take the Bajagoli route towards belthangadi to get lost toward Dharmasthala? Had you ended up in Dharmasthala, you could have gone over to the vintage car museum of Dr. Veerendra Heggade.
Old 1st July 2010, 23:06   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
So did you take the Bajagoli route towards belthangadi to get lost toward Dharmasthala? Had you ended up in Dharmasthala, you could have gone over to the vintage car museum of Dr. Veerendra Heggade.
Yes, we ended up going up to Bajagoli, and then turning back.

The vintage car museum - that sounds interesting. Any reports on this forum?
Old 1st July 2010, 23:12   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The vintage car museum - that sounds interesting. Any reports on this forum?

Yes, Here is the thread..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...rmasthala.html
Old 1st July 2010, 23:13   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Back from Agumbe, there's more to be done. A visit to Manipal End-Point for example.

Well, the mud and slush has been the Hawk-on-fours' constant companion all the trip, and a little more won't hurt.
Attachment 378263
The buildings you see in the background?its the kmc staff quarters and that is where we stay!!Good you enjoyed in the rains!!
Old 1st July 2010, 23:18   #131
MX6
Senior - BHPian

My father had a 1981 premier padmini that we kept till 2004. He sold it when I was away in US. It was so old that a friend from Manipal used to urge me not to sell but donate it to Dr. Heggade's collection. Hope oneday I get to buy a premier padmini back.
Old 2nd July 2010, 00:16   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

East End Hotel, Madikeri - A Review

We were booked into the East End Hotel, Madikeri, for 2 nights, courtesy some close friends. A quick search on the internet did not turn up any website for the hotel, but there seemed to be a fantastic restaurant attached according to other travellers. So what more do we need?

Apart from the sign out front (which looks more like that of a police station than of a hotel), you'd pass by the place without a second look.
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-eastend-1.jpg

But enter we did, and landed up at the restaurant first, where the signage indicates "hotel".
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-eastend-2-1.jpg

Redirected to the hotel, which is essentially the rear of the building seen from the road,
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-eastend-1-1.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-eastend-1-2.jpg

...we found a quaint olde worlde charming little place inside. The shining red cement flooring of a rather large lobby leading to the rooms was adorned with furniture from the British era.
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-eastend-1-3.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-eastend-1-4.jpg

We got a 3-bedded room which was H-U-G-E, with a dressing area and a modern toilet, all with the persistent polished red cement floor. Costs Rs.1750 + taxes, though I wouldn't reveal what we paid. A double room costs Rs.1250 + taxes.
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-eastend-1-7.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-eastend-1-8.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-eastend-1-9.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-eastend-1-10.jpg

Across the rooms was an east-facing morning room, where one can enjoy the newspapers placed on the shelf over a cup of tea,
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-eastend-1-5.jpg

or even pull out a book from the small library and enjoy it in the sun. (We weren't so lucky - the sun never shone on the days we were in Coorg!)
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-eastend-1-6.jpg

The restaurant was brilliant, but not obviously so, but we found the owner of a brand new unregistered Mitsu Outlander visiting the place (and this was my first glimpse of the new model - in Madikeri of all places!)
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-eastend-2.jpg

The interiors are somewhat spartan, but sparkling clean.
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-eastend-2-2.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-eastend-2-3.jpg

So let's order!
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-eastend-2-4.jpg

We fell in love with the keema dosa @ Rs.60, and besides, there was chilli chicken, biryani with raita, prawn masala, naan... An utter paradise for a foodie! Meal for 5 worked out to less than Rs.750.
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-eastend-2-5.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-eastend-2-6.jpg
Old 2nd July 2010, 00:59   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

My take on East End Hotel: I'd happily go back and stay a week - and eat to my heart's content.
================================================
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Wow! That's a virtual tour with more details than I could have got in person...
Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
The buildings you see in the background?its the kmc staff quarters and that is where we stay!!Good you enjoyed in the rains!!
Missed you by just that much...

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 2nd July 2010 at 01:03.
Old 2nd July 2010, 09:37   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Missed you by just that much...
Even i missed MX 6 by just that much in Pune .

After reading your directions from Manipal to Madikeri ( karkala on your way ) reminded me of my Hostel Days in Karkala. Do you have any pics from there??
Old 2nd July 2010, 10:54   #135
Team-BHP Support

I am a regular customer at East End Hotel. That is where I eat everytime I pass via Coorg, I was there this Tuesday. It is totally packed during afternoon, Biriyani runs out by 1.30PM or so.

Earlier the current lodge building used to be the restaurant. The new restaurant building is less than two years old.

Most Viewed