Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2010, 16:30   #166
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I thought 01020-k100 was the best photo of this logue. reflection-k100 is above it by a few notches!
Great reflection stuff you got there!
Old 5th July 2010, 16:46   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I thought 01020-k100 was the best photo of this logue. reflection-k100 is above it by a few notches!
Great reflection stuff you got there!
Thank you, MX6. Coming from you, it means a lot.

BHPian ShuvC dropped by for a quick meet at Kolkata. Met up with BHPian Sutripta too, but a lack of time meant we couldn't talk enough!

25 June 2010: We are at our journey's end. The NH-2 drive back from Calcutta to Delhi is a "been-there-done-that" journey for me. I don't need maps on this route, forget GPS. All that remained was to drive on the Allahabad bypass for the first time. 23 hours later, we were home. An update on the route had been posted earlier, and is being reposted here for your reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Trip #27 (CCU-DEL) happened to be part of our pan-India trip, and I had been looking forward to driving on the Allahabad bypass ever since I learned that it was open to traffic.

The changes:
  • The Isri Bazar diversion has gone, and the expressway is operational there. However, toll is not being charged yet.
  • One small diversion of 1 km remains in JH, near Dumri (IIRC) - the diversion is through a deserted stretch and not through populated areas, so traffic jam is minimal, though the road surface is horrible and trucks take their own time to pass through.
  • The BR-UP border diversion has gone - the expressway runs straight through, though there is still some difficulty in passing through due to the large number of trucks parked alongside the road. Not the incorrigible traffic jams of yesteryears, though.
  • A number of sections of the expressway through small towns like Bagodar & Chouparan used to be single carriageway - now it's divided carriageway.
  • The NH2 between the Ganga bridge near Benaras to about 50 km before Allahabad, is in bad shape (especially the west-bound carriageway). The road surface has become grooved where the trucks run, the tar has rolled, and it has left a nasty hump running along the road between two grooves. Low GC cars have a tough time here - if one keeps the tyres in the grooves, the risk of bottoming out is high, while if one tries to ride the hump, that's equally bad because it's not smooth. Overtaking manoeuvres become difficult. Some of the sections are under repair, resulting in traffic being forced to use east-bound carriageway only.
  • Allahabad bypass (85 km long - adds about 30 km vis-a-vis going through Allahabad city) is good, but not great - at least, the surfacing is not as good as the NE1 or Mumbai-Pune expressway. One section of about 5 km is still single carriageway, construction on the other side not being complete. No toll being collected yet, though toll gates are set up on either end and at the exits (about 6 of them IIRC). No facilities of fuel bunks or eateries on the bypass - you need to take an exit and then find one).
Surprise situation: Toll gate near Allahabad 77km mile marker.
The road is so bad, I am irritated enough to tick the guy off when he asked for the Rs.45 toll fee. The fellow doesn't relent. I tell him it's not justified for him to charge so much for such a poor quality of road. Jokingly tell him, saare log discount de rahein hai, tum bhi discount doh. And guess what? He promptly asks for Rs.20, doesn't issue a toll receipt, and lets me go. No wonder the roads are in the condition that they are, given that the toll money doesn't find its way to the company that built, maintains and operates this section.

Surprise situation: Following an Innova about 30 km before Agra.
There's a big traffic jam at the toll gate, and the Innova manages to manoeuvre to the left and gets to an accessory (untarred) road, leading up to the toll gate. No toll collection booth here, just a fellow peering in at each car while it goes through. My guess, it's built that way to let VIP cars go through, which are exempt from paying toll. The Innova gets waved through. Even I get waved through. That was quick!
::::: T H E :: E N D :::::

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 5th July 2010 at 16:48.
Old 6th July 2010, 12:17   #168
BHPian

Kolkata pictures bring back loads of memories.

"amar jiban theke uthe asa sur
tomake shuniye ami jabo bohu dur
fire asbo ami tomar-i subas-e
thakbo tomar buk-e ar ashe pashe
amake porle mone, khujo eikhane
ekhane khujchhi ami jiban-er mane"

and a poor try at translating -

Reciting the melody emanating from my life
To you, I will traverse to a faraway land
Will be back remembering your fragrance
To be at your heart and around
If you are looking for me, look no beyond
In here I am searching the meaning of life
Old 7th July 2010, 17:57   #169
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In fact, we spent more time on the balcony in the evening than we did inside the room!
Absolutely, everything else place of stay in Vizag pales in comparison to that room/balcony view. That picture brings back Vizag memories 4 years back, we spent 2 days at Rushikonda.
Old 10th July 2010, 15:38   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
...memories 4 years back...
Indeed, memories of those roadtrips are most wonderful when recalled later on through photos. I have been unfortunate enough to lose a large number of photos and negatives (of the pre-digital era ) to a termite attack a couple of years ago.

So here's looking back once more at the trip...
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-looking-back.jpg

Two weeks after we've returned, the memories of the trip are all fresh and sweet...
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-stop.jpg

Though the drive through the rains and mud wasn't all that clean, and Hawk-on-fours bears testimonial to that...
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-mud-1.jpg

Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-mud.jpg

...we pray that the road ahead for us, and for all of you, be smooth and clean all the way.
Hawk-on-fours on a pan-India tour: Delhi-Mumbai-Goa-Manipal-Coorg-Kolkata-Delhi-road-ahead.jpg
Old 10th July 2010, 15:55   #171
BHPian

2 and 3 last picture, the main hole cover is broken and your vehicle is almost on the edge, lucky you that your Scorpio is not on that cover!!!

I am missing my Scorpio in all this rain that is going on here in Nagpur, the worst paid for Scorpio and driving Logan!!!
-Pramod
Old 10th July 2010, 15:59   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
2 and 3 last picture, the main hole cover is broken and your vehicle is almost on the edge, lucky you that your Scorpio is not on that cover!!!
No, that cover is not broken, it's a heavy cast-iron grille covering the storm-water drain, and is the usual place where I park the car - with the tyre on the grille to prevent it being stolen at night.

Oh, and even if I did drop the tyre in, I wouldn't worry, would you?
Old 10th July 2010, 17:33   #173
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Prevent what from being stolen? Your tyre or the grill?
Old 10th July 2010, 17:36   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Prevent what from being stolen? Your tyre or the grill?
If you'd loan me that chain of yours, I'd padlock the wheel and the tyre together to the grille, and none of them would be stolen - unless someone took a fancy to your chain, which I wouldn't take responsibility for!!!
Old 11th July 2010, 15:14   #175
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Well, if someone takes fancy for my chain, they's scoot with all three. The chain along with the wheel and the grill which the chain holds!
Old 11th July 2010, 20:13   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Well, if someone takes fancy for my chain, they's scoot with all three. The chain along with the wheel and the grill which the chain holds!
may be also with the car with whitch the wheel is attached
Old 11th July 2010, 22:36   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
may be also with the car with whitch the wheel is attached
Perish the thought, both of you! Shubh shubh bolo! You want any more Hawk-on-fours travelogues or not? MX6, please don't send that chain - the chain of thought attached to that chain will spoil my chain ki neend.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2010, 02:05   #178
MX6
Senior - BHPian

There's no place in India, the theif can take the car where it can't be identified. He'll finally have to leave it back in SST's place.
Old 12th July 2010, 11:08   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Perish the thought, both of you! Shubh shubh bolo! You want any more Hawk-on-fours travelogues or not? MX6, please don't send that chain - the chain of thought attached to that chain will spoil my chain ki neend.
SS da, What a great humorous finish (highlighted by me) to that chain of thoughts, or thoughts on chain! as great as your journey has been. Three cheers.
Old 12th July 2010, 12:24   #180
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful travelogue SS da

rated 5 star, this one is for your courage, planning and execution of such a trip.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks