Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2010, 21:59   #16
Team-BHP Support

In fact that was one of the eventful journeys where I lost my camera on the travel (A Canon SD series). So most of the travel I only had a VGA camera of my humble mobile phone to satiate myself.
Old 15th June 2010, 06:19   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
In fact that was one of the eventful journeys where I lost my camera on the travel (A Canon SD series). So most of the travel I only had a VGA camera of my humble mobile phone to satiate myself.
Oh... thats sad.. Well VGA- somethin better than nothing..
Old 4th July 2010, 20:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Wow, nice travelogue, am waiting for your posts, this is just in time for me as i am waiting for an opportunity to do the same stretch sometime soon.
Same here.

@ Lancer, you posted your travelouge at the right time (rather a long time back, I saw now).

Doing the same places this Tuesday. Info on Rameshwaram was simply superb, got all I needed.
Old 4th July 2010, 20:49   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Is the gauge conversion work over on the Pamban? Train services were stopped due to the guage conversion work. A friend of mine had the great opportunity to go up and down that rail bridge on a trolley! He said it was heavenly.

During our recent visit, train services were on on Pamban bridge. We actually captured a few snaps of the train passing the bridge! . Wil post in my thread when the story reaches there. Just one more day of wait left!
Old 4th July 2010, 23:21   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
During our recent visit, train services were on on Pamban bridge. We actually captured a few snaps of the train passing the bridge! . Wil post in my thread when the story reaches there. Just one more day of wait left!

Hey LongDrive lover.. I await your travelogue on this..
Old 5th July 2010, 08:43   #21
BHPian

Hi lancersfx,

I am so glad I saw this thread.

It brought up many memories for me as between the years 1992 to 1998, I have worked in most of the areas which you drove through to reach your destination. (But not Rameshwaram / Kanyakumari). I also have lived in Madurai and Ambasamudram and frequently did the road to Rajapalyam, Tirunelveli, and beyond. I lived and worked in Palani between 1997-1998.

I was a regular to Tuticorin between 1992 - 1997, and have driven there twice (from Bangalore) - once in a client's Contessa and once in my Maruti 800.

When I was based in Palani (1997-98), I used to drive up and down from Bangalore every 2 weeks. First in my M800, and later I had a Contessa with the Isuzu 1.8 petrol, which I bought second-hand in Palani. Your route (Thoppur - Mettur - Palani) was the route I used to take, and at that time I knew this road like the back of my hand! And I always drove alone except sometimes when there was a "Veerappan moving around" warning (near Mettur).

So this was very interesting for me, thanks so much for reviving my memories!

I have some questions, hope you don't mind!

1) I would have thought the NH via Salem - Madurai - Tuticorin would have been better. I see you joined up near Tirumangalam, so would NH have been more direct or better? Haven't been that side for a long time, so this is just a query out of curiosity .

2) Can you give more details on the Thoppur - Mettur - Perundurai road conditions?

3) What about the return - from Tiruchi to Bangalore?

and finally, question 4) : can I know more about those Hellas? I own an Ikon too and suffer endlessly from "hi-beamers", the worst breed being the TATA ACE / SUMO vehicles.

Thanks again for a trip down nostalgia lane!

Regards,
Damu
Old 5th July 2010, 14:01   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
Hi lancersfx,
I have some questions, hope you don't mind!

1) I would have thought the NH via Salem - Madurai - Tuticorin would have been better. I see you joined up near Tirumangalam, so would NH have been more direct or better? Haven't been that side for a long time, so this is just a query out of curiosity .

2) Can you give more details on the Thoppur - Mettur - Perundurai road conditions?

3) What about the return - from Tiruchi to Bangalore?

and finally, question 4) : can I know more about those Hellas? I own an Ikon too and suffer endlessly from "hi-beamers", the worst breed being the TATA ACE / SUMO vehicles.

Thanks again for a trip down nostalgia lane!

Regards,
Damu
Hi Damu, I'm glad you've enjoyed the travelogue. Here are your doubts clarified ::

1. My plan was to visit Palani as I hadn't since i was 5 when i went to tonsure my head. Otherwise I would have preferred NH7 all the way to Kanyakumari as it was the first major stop enroute.

2. Thoppur to Mettur is in patches but good enough to maintain ~80 kmph. Beyond Mettur the roads are "Makhkhan" (butter) smooth.

3. Trichy to Bangalore:: The road from Tirchy to namakkal is again slightly damaged in patches ( mostly between thottiyam and trichy) but one can maintain speeds of 60-80. Trichy to Namakkal is 80Kms . At namakkal the flyover is now complete and once can take that instead of a 4-5 km detour through a worse stretch. From Namakkal you would join NH-7 and you'd know till Bangalore.

4. The Hella's I got installed are the Hella 700ff. Only reason I didn't go for the rallye 3000 or 5000 are because of their sizes. .They would've been too big on an ikon and would spoil the looks. The 700ff are powerful and have a half a km range. If you observe the vid of my car in the first page you would notice the second truck instantly dipping to low beam. These are certainly worth it. They are good especially in heavy rain too. I did drive thru a heavy rain on the way back bangalore in this trip near dharmapuri tollgate and I was happy that every penny spent on the Hella's were .

Most Viewed