Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2010, 10:04   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
This is not the Rajakkad-Adimali road? There is an alternative road too? How much distance from Rajakkad to Adimali and what are the coordiantes?
I have no idea HVK. I just saw it in the map and thought thats the route he must have taken.
On top of it must he must have tried some internal road around this route. That was my guess.

Last edited by ampere : 9th June 2010 at 10:14.
Old 9th June 2010, 10:05   #17
BHPian

Agree with Condor, the bride needs a board with the weight it can hold up too; I remember seeing a Volvo truck with some stuff going down a bridge in Gujarat in the Accidents in India thread some time ago. Where again the do / donts were not listed.
Old 9th June 2010, 10:35   #18
BHPian

manojas should be complimented for his bravery.
One look at the first pic is enough for me. I would've turned my car around and fled!
Old 9th June 2010, 10:41   #19
BHPian

Man that's one experience that you will never forget in your life, would you!! reminds me of going on an army bridge in Manali
Old 9th June 2010, 10:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
the bride needs a board with the weight it can hold up too;

''arth ka anarth ho gaya''

Hurrycane,

imagine, the bride holding the board in hand stating how much weight she can hold up.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 9th June 2010 at 10:54.
Old 9th June 2010, 12:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
wow! can you put this on to a google map or some pointers to reach this bridge?
I couldn't locate this place in any maps. But I can help you with some pointers.

This bridge is crossing the spillway of the Ponmudi dam. From Rajakkad, you will have to take the Ponmudi route. after around 6+ kms, take a right towards the bridge. If you go streight without taking a right, it will lead you to the Ponmudi dam, which is also a very scenic place.
Old 9th June 2010, 12:09   #22
BHPian

supremeBaleno, I didn't get down and check the bridge before crossing it. But after seeing the state of it later, I felt like anybody crossing it after knowing its condition must be a joker.
Old 9th June 2010, 12:24   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post

''arth ka anarth ho gaya''

Hurrycane,

imagine, the bride holding the board in hand stating how much weight she can hold up.
Oops Ashish; even I did not realise this error. Guys its "Bridge"
Old 9th June 2010, 12:40   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
sb cut him slack man. I agree if it was me I would done a recce first and then decided if it was wise to cross. Well you cant blame him too coz the auto driver gave him the thumbs up.

So manoj any idea about the history of that bridge,looks easily a few decades old.
The bridge was built to transport the construction materials during the construction of the Ponmudi dam.

Quote:
This is not the Rajakkad-Adimali road? There is an alternative road too? How much distance from Rajakkad to Adimali and what are the coordiantes?
Hi hvk, Yes this is the Rajakkad - Adimali route. But a small detour just before the Ponmudi dam. It rejoins the same road after a few kms from the Dam.

I haven't noted down the coordinates. Will do next time and let you know.

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th June 2010 at 16:29. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 9th June 2010, 14:18   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Satguide does show a route that by-passes Munnar while coming from Adimali and will you take you to Bodi (via Rajakkad).
I guess this is the route you wanted to try.

Attachment 363898
ampere, I am a regular on this route for the past 1 year. The road via Rajakkad is shorter and has less traffic compared to Munnar route.

From Bodi, till Pooppara, its the same road. In Pooppara town, you will have to take a left to Munnar and right will lead to Rajakkad via Rajakumari.
Old 9th June 2010, 15:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

WOOOW.

Damn scarry man. I probably never would have crossed it, or I may have prayed to every single god that existed, if I did cross it an heard any creaking sounds.

I would have probably told god that I would give up smoking as well

Nicely done and is definitely something scenic
Old 9th June 2010, 15:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojas View Post
ampere, I am a regular on this route for the past 1 year. The road via Rajakkad is shorter and has less traffic compared to Munnar route.

From Bodi, till Pooppara, its the same road. In Pooppara town, you will have to take a left to Munnar and right will lead to Rajakkad via Rajakumari.
Are you sure you got it right?
When coming from Bodi, at Poopara, if you take immediate left, it is Thekkady/Kumili, straight is Rajakkad and right is Munnar?
Old 9th June 2010, 15:49   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
WOOOW.

Damn scarry man. I probably never would have crossed it, or I may have prayed to every single god that existed, if I did cross it an heard any creaking sounds.

I would have probably told god that I would give up smoking as well

Nicely done and is definitely something scenic
Thanks thedreamcatcher. It was ignorance, not bravery that made me to cross it.
Old 9th June 2010, 16:37   #29
BHPian

Quote:
When coming from Bodi, at Poopara, if you take immediate left, it is Thekkady/Kumili, straight is Rajakkad and right is Munnar?
Yes, I am sure about this. Here is poopara town with the directions. The labels are all messed up in google maps. Bodimettu is not at all shown and the road from Bodimettu to Poopara is not marked.

Experience with a Scenic but Scary Bridge-pooppara.jpg

Just to clarify, from theni, the first town is Bodinayakanur, where the hairpins start. After 17 hairpins, you reach Bodimettu, which is the TN Kerala border with the town in TN. The next town is Poopara where a right turn should be taken to Rajakumari and Rajakkad. Left will lead to Munnar.
Old 9th June 2010, 17:13   #30
BHPian

Quote:

Yes you are correct, after crossing the small narrow bridge at poopara, right goes to munnar and left goes to Rajakkad.

Most Viewed