Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2010, 14:30   #31
Senior - BHPian

After roaming full of Venice without knowing the direction and map, I finally figured out how to get the directions

The directions are marked mostly to point the famous tourist points.

Here are the signs and directions.
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-directons1.jpg

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-directons2.jpg

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-directons3.jpg

Piazzale Roma is the one that leads to the main station of Venice. So,if you lost, just follow this sign and you will end up in the big square where you have all the car parking, bus and train stations.

The opera places had people dressed up in Customary Venice style and distributing pamplets to attract crowds.

I also see that many restaurants invites the tourist in the similar costumes.

Some of the invitations
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-canvasing.jpg
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-canvasing2.jpg
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-canvasing3.jpg

One more thing I notice is, the clock tower. Almost all the clock tower had this sort of dials. Its 24 hours clock. With 1 starting at the 3'0 clock position. It was 3pm when I took this. So, pointing the XV. But not sure what this signify.

Sun time?
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-romanclock.jpg

One last visit to the Rialto bridge.
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-rialtobridge.jpg

The creativity of these guys are also great. I see this style of restaurant and for a second thought it to be a Chinese or Japanese restaurant. But a closer look revealed it different.

The pillars give a feeling of Japanese restaurants.

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-japaneserestno.jpg

But those are mere big size tubes

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-japaneserest.jpg

Very simple and effective decorations, right?

Shops

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-shoping.jpg

Hole in the Wall
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-holeinthewall.jpg

Bridge connecting the Square & Station
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-bridgeconnsquarestation.jpg

Finally time to say good bye to Venice.

Back to Venice Station.
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-venicestation.jpg

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-returningback.jpg
Yes, i was back to station and booked the ticket in next available train.

I see that the trains and happenings in the train very much remind me of the land back home. I see this notice being kept in each of the passengers front and guys collect money and the slip.

Save Me, Grazie
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-saveme.jpg

Something similar to our guys printing and distributing slips mentioning about Gujarat riot or other tragedy.

The trains are also as "clean" as ours. But I think ours is much more cleaner than this.

Locomotive
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-trainpaints.jpg
Old 18th June 2010, 15:51   #32
Senior - BHPian

31st May 2010, Italy.

Now, the plan is to drive to Grenoble in France. The very thought of this got me very excited. Even though I have driven in many foreign countries, I have never had a chance to cross the International border on roads.

So, I was very much looking for this kind of opportunity and finally got one.

I packed all my stuffs and was ready to leave. Planed to leave the hotel from Milan, Italy around 7am. After the hefty breakfast, checked out the hotel and started at 7:10am.

Yummy Breakfast

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-bf.jpg

Made sure I have the directions set on my Tom-Tom. All set, and now start.

The drive from Milan to Grenoble is like 400KMs. Although I have driven such distance back home, this is a all different experience. The official speed limit on Autostrade on Italian side is 110kmph. And on the French side its 130kmph.

Even inside the tunnels, its 110kmph on French side. on contrast, its only 70kmph on Italian side.

And there was not much opportunity for stopping and clicking pics like in here

The total toll charges including the entry fee into the France from Italy costed 70 Euro.

After say about 1 hour, took a small break at one of the Autogrill.

Autogrill
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-autogrill.jpg

I come out after a hot cappacino and see this.

Yamaha
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-yamaha.jpg

Ducati
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-ducati.jpg

These guys are well equipped with the gears. And such bikers zoom at 120+ on those autostrade. Amazing.

Some more pics after entering the France.
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-roads.jpg

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-roads2.jpg

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-roads3.jpg

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-roads4.jpg

We need to cross several valley to get to Grenoble from Italy. And so the roads and greens were so scenic and tempting to stay there.

Look at the rainbow formation on those valleys.

Rainbow
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-rainbow.jpg

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-rainbow2.jpg

Drizzile

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-rain.jpg

In Italy, the tolls are designed in such a away that, both the toll ticket and credit card are inserted in the same slot.

Since I was driving for hours and doing this, I continued to do the same thing without even thinking, like a mechanical machine. Unfortunately, on the France side, they have separate slots for Toll ticket and credit card.

And yes, you know what happened then. I inserted my credit card and it got stuck in the ticket slot. I was shocked when I see that I was not able to get it back.

And I see at my back, there are 3 to 4 vehicles waiting. Good thing is no one honked.

But the problem is, I got little tensed and not sure of what to do...
Old 18th June 2010, 16:10   #33
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Mostly those machines are designed to reject the card after a thorough check if they are not the correct toll ticket. So guess your card should have come back.
So did anyone help you retrieve your card?
Old 18th June 2010, 18:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Mostly those machines are designed to reject the card after a thorough check if they are not the correct toll ticket. So guess your card should have come back.
So did anyone help you retrieve your card?
I wish it did.

No, I happen to call the attendant by using the switch on the machine. One lady came and removed the whole machine, took the card and handed it over to me. Luckily no fine for that
Old 18th June 2010, 18:43   #35
Senior - BHPian

Hi Mahesh

Just now i got a cost saving idea. My wife has been asking me when am i going to take her to Europe.

Tonight in intend to take her to Europe with zero cost. I will make her go through this photologue of yours along with your previous Italiano travelolog

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...much-more.html

I can i imagine the efforts needed in

composing, transferring, improving, formatting, copy writing, right sizing and then uploading photographs to T-BHP

this alone deserves a 5 star.

Old 18th June 2010, 19:13   #36
BHPian

mjothi, excellent photos & a travelogue.

Waiting for more of Grenoble & Milano pictures
Old 19th June 2010, 14:08   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hi Mahesh

Just now i got a cost saving idea. My wife has been asking me when am i going to take her to Europe.

Tonight in intend to take her to Europe with zero cost. I will make her go through this photologue of yours along with your previous Italiano travelolog

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...much-more.html

I can i imagine the efforts needed in

composing, transferring, improving, formatting, copy writing, right sizing and then uploading photographs to T-BHP

this alone deserves a 5 star.

Thanks sir. Nice idea you gave there. I will also use it for my Mrs.

And yes, thanks for rating this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
mjothi, excellent photos & a travelogue.

Waiting for more of Grenoble & Milano pictures
Thanks sir.

Unfortunately, I kept the pictures in office, and hence cant put any pictures till Monday.
Old 21st June 2010, 13:16   #38
Senior - BHPian

So, and finally I reached my Grenoble office after those "adventures" drive.

I have stayed in Grenoble for numerous times from 2001 to 2005. So, I was very comfortable inside the city and its tourist attractions. Since I have visited almost all attractions in town, I was thinking about having a short drive to some near by mountains.

With discussion with the guys there, I found that the mountain very near Grenoble called Le Moucherotte.

Its around 2000m in height and gives an excellent view of the whole Grenoble town from top. But climbing that mountain is going to be really tough.

Anyway, I decided to visit that mountain base and then decide whether to climb or not based on the mood.

It was good that you can drive up to the town called Saint-Nizier which is located at 1100m. So, the plan was ready.

5th June 2010, France.

It was a usual saturday and hence I woke up at 9:30am. Had my bath, got the GPS set for the destination, and started my car. I thought of having some breakfast on the way and hence left from hotel.

After around 15min drive on the highway, I took the exit for the Saint-Nizier. The roads from here is very good and broad. I see many people doing a leisurely ride on their bicycle.

This is the view of the Grenoble town half-way to the Saint-Nizier town.
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-pano.jpg

After this short break, I drove on those amazing curvy roads. I was surprised to see those well maintained roads on the cliff.

Here is the route plan for the place I visited.
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-route.jpg

I town on top was well organized. The moment you enter the town, you are greeted by the Tourism office. I parked the car and went it. Checked about the mountain climb.

The first answer from them was shocking to me. Its a solid 2hrs and 30min climb and its a hard trail.

Since I had no prior experience on these kinds of trek or climb, I dropped the plan of climbing the mountain.

i was damn hungry and so left my things in car and was searching a place to have breakfast. Slowly I passed across a old church. Then after a 10min walk I reach a view point. The view point was well marked with the mountains in front of you. there was a table with picture and arrow marking the mountain you are viewing live from there.

Here is the panorama from the table.
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-panotop.jpg

On the way I also saw the beds of yellow flowers. I could not do any justice with my camera. but have tried to get it as best as possible by me.
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-panoflowers.jpg

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-mjflowers.jpg

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-mjflowers2.jpg
i was envying the guys staying in there. They have a beautiful lawn and surroundings. Look at this garden. Its a vast ground with full of flowers. And has a table below the tree. Best place for romance.

My heart refused to move from this place. What a lovely day!
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-romantic.jpg
Old 21st June 2010, 16:04   #39
Senior - BHPian

While I was enjoying these beauty, I see couple of people going towards the mountain climb. For a moment I thought what if I give it a try.

Yes, whats wrong? I can try as long as I can climb. if not possible, let me return. This is what came up in mind and decided to start.

Since I had my water bottle in my car which was parked 15min walk from there, i gave it a pass. Little I know the difficulties I am going to face due to this stupid decision later.

Initial 5 minutes it was ok. I see a couple walking to the mountian and a initial Bonjour, began to talk with them. It helped to forget the difficulties in climbing. The first thing they mentioned to me was, to have a water bottle. Else dont even give a try. I was like OMG. But still continued to climb.

They both are from the near by city. The lady was from Lyon. Around 1 hour drive from there. She had climbed on this mountain in earlier days and said its been long since she attempted now.

Ok, lets move to some of the pictures I have captured during the climb. These greens certainly helps to forget those pains in time of need.

Starting of the climb
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1848.jpg

View of the cliff
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1849.jpg

View of the Hills from the mountain
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1850.jpg

Steep climb

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1851.jpg

Again, view of near by hills

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1852.jpg

Climbing under sun

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1853.jpg

Gliders dropping those parachute "experts"
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1854.jpg

Views of the hills

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1855.jpg

Climbing on those gravels.

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1856.jpg

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1857.jpg

Climbing on these was little ok. but when coming down, this was really difficult. Was like a skater board.
Old 21st June 2010, 16:11   #40
MX6
Senior - BHPian

You are roaming around one part of Europe. So is RKbharat. This thought cropped up reading two travelogues. Has it happened any time that two T-BHPians met serendipitously in a different country while travelling there on business?
Old 21st June 2010, 16:18   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
You are roaming around one part of Europe. So is RKbharat. This thought cropped up reading two travelogues. Has it happened any time that two T-BHPians met serendipitously in a different country while travelling there on business?
Not sure of others. But this time I was suppose to meet one more member called star-aqua [a lorry driver ] in Germany. But could not plan properly and so we missed it.

Possibly, with the growing population of BHPian, I am sure to clash with one while boarding a flight, or on the streets of foreign land. Days are not far i guess.
Old 21st June 2010, 16:47   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Not sure of others. But this time I was suppose to meet one more member called star-aqua [a lorry driver ] in Germany. But could not plan properly and so we missed it.
Unkul, you are here? nice travelogue . So you finally managed to cross the border. You know i was at France border when you called me up. I had parked the truck just 50mtrs from the border. Could not cross because of bonded item. Or else i would have come to your place to surprise you.
Old 21st June 2010, 16:50   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Unkul, you are here? nice travelogue . So you finally managed to cross the border. You know i was at France border when you called me up. I had parked the truck just 50mtrs from the border. Could not cross because of bonded item. Or else i would have come to your place to surprise you.
Ya, I remember you mentioning that.

Anyway, keep those lorry there, and get back the bike. Lets go around Bangy. Inform your friend redraju too!!!!
Old 21st June 2010, 17:01   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Ya, I remember you mentioning that.

Anyway, keep those lorry there, and get back the bike. Lets go around Bangy. Inform your friend redraju too!!!!
Am not getting the bike, Not worth the effort. You buy one RockRider for me and keep it ready. RedRaj is allways ready. Lorry is back to workshop and taking rest .
Old 21st June 2010, 18:36   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Am not getting the bike, Not worth the effort. You buy one RockRider for me and keep it ready. RedRaj is allways ready. Lorry is back to workshop and taking rest .
Quote:
Ok, done. Btw, get your tracker ready so, we can take our bikes in that to have a long ride in some far off places.

Sorry guys for going little off-topic here.
But when I saw people riding on their bikes in those roads leading to mountain I was actually envying them. The people - included old ladies too. They should be like 50-55+ and was riding their bikes slowly on the hills. I doubt if we can even dare to attempt that steep climbs.

Not only that, there were 3 old grannies who also attempted to conquer this mountain and they did it. Kudos to their guts and will power.

Will post their pictures soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks