Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2010, 19:26   #46
Team-BHP Support

Mahesh,

Still waiting for Grenoble to arrive (but I am not in a hurry!)
Very nice. Did you visit any educational institute there?

Grenoble is supposed to be the academic capital of France.
I have not across in Europe, but trekked (or rather walked) a lot on the French Riviera Monaco/Nice/Cannes terrain and it was beautiful.

Your drive reminds me of all those places!

Rated 5 Star.
Old 21st June 2010, 20:13   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Mahesh,

Very nice. Did you visit any educational institute there?

Grenoble is supposed to be the academic capital of France.
I have not across in Europe, but trekked (or rather walked) a lot on the French Riviera Monaco/Nice/Cannes terrain and it was beautiful.

Your drive reminds me of all those places!

Rated 5 Star.
Thanks for the rating.

I don't have much pictures of Grenoble. Since it was like nothing new to me.

But will post some I had managed to take this time at the end of this mountain climb.

No I have not visited any institute this time. But have visited the Polytechnique and one more (don't remember now) institute around the station during my previous trips.

Yes, Grenoble is a Academic hub. They have cyclotron facilities very near to the town and other research centers. I have seen many Asians doing higher studies in here with scholarships.
Old 22nd June 2010, 09:08   #48
Senior - BHPian

Le Moucherotte conquered...

After like 40min, I got completely exhausted and cant keep even one step further. Seeing my condition they offered water. But my mind did not listen to that. I asked them to continue and sat on a shadow of a tree.

View of the hills while climbing.
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-panoclimbing.jpg

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-viewclimb1.jpg

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-viewclimb2.jpg

Look at me. Even when surrounded by beautiful nature not able to enjoy it fully!
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-mjclimb.jpg

For a moment the beast in me was telling me to return back and head to car. But on other side, it also was laughing at me seeing my inability. So, i decided to make sure I climb what may come go.

After say 10min of rest, I started again. Now I see many people crossing me in groups. Most of them had the stick something like sky equipment for support. It certainly helps when the climb is steep or decends.

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-steep.jpg

The trails are well marked. They have a red-white combination to mark the trail to the top. The wrong route is also marked clearly. You need to follow this markings. If you blindly follow this, you are sure you will reach the final destination.

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-markings.jpg

But sometimes, the signs are little confusing. Atleast for me. Both RED & GREEN point same direction. So, what it means!!!

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-whichway.jpg

After walking for another 30min, I was feeling even worst. Sat down for almost 15min and thinking if to go ahead or return.

When I was sitting, I see many gliders flying around there and many people jumping with parachute. Seems to be a famous spot for parachute over there.

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-narrowpassage.jpg

Then after starting through those narrow climbs, I finally see this water stream. I was so happy to see water. Initially i thought it may be harmful to drink those water.

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-waterstream.jpg

But then decided to drink and touched the water. It was so cold. Used it to wash the face and drink. Finally i was brisk and refreshed to continue my onward journey.

After couple of minutes I see these 3 grannys climbing the mountain.

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-3ggs.jpg

This gave me more courage like if they can do at this age, why not me. That one thing helped me to fly to the top.

Almost there...
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-almostthere.jpg

Finally with so many difficulties reached the top.

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-finally.jpg

One view down and all the pain I had went in no time.

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-pano1.jpg

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-pano2.jpg

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-pano3.jpg

There I met the same couple. They were so surprised and astonished to me making it. Said they thought I would never make it and would have returned. Lol.
Old 22nd June 2010, 09:16   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
After like 40min, I got completely exhausted and cant keep even one step further. Seeing my condition they offered water. But my mind did not listen to that. I asked them to continue and sat on a shadow of a tree.

Look at me. Even when surrounded by beautiful nature not able to enjoy it fully!

For a moment the beast in me was telling me to return back and head to car. But on other side, it also was laughing at me seeing my inability. So, i decided to make sure I climb what may come go.

After walking for another 30min, I was feeling even worst. Sat down for almost 15min and thinking if to go ahead or return.

When I was sitting, I see many gliders flying around there and many people jumping with parachute. Seems to be a famous spot for parachute over there.

There I met the same couple. They were so surprised and astonished to me making it. Said they thought I would never make it and would have returned. Lol.
Hey Mahesh, Amazing and inspiring story.

i had a similar humbling experience when i visited Great Wall of China.

Bottom line is we need to get fitter, healthier.
Old 22nd June 2010, 09:42   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Bottom line is we need to get fitter, healthier.

Exactly. We keep saying that foreign guys use all machines, no work etc and follow the same pattern here in the name of comfort / time / luxury. And at the end of the day, we see them more healthier and strong. Atleast those Asians I think.

This reminds me of the conversation we had with a 50+ yrs lady in japan.

Quote:
We were going for a walk and see this old lady sweeping the road. And then she started to smoke. My friend immd said to her,

Excuse me, smoking is very bad.

You know what was the response from her?

"No problem. My mother, 85yrs old. Still smoking. No problem."
Yes, they do smoke, drink. But they do even more work then others. And at the end, they live more healthier and longer.

Time to go back to olden days.

Sorry guys, if you take this as an example or excuse for smoking.
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:10   #51
Senior - BHPian

Here is the GPS tracking for the hike. I did not fully track it, but almost when I was on top.

Hiking Workout | Endomondo

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-endomondo.jpg

And look at how brisk and enthu I was when starting the climb.

From this

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-begining.jpg

To the contrast, how "energetic" i am when reaching the top.

To this

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1875.jpg
Old 22nd June 2010, 12:54   #52
Senior - BHPian

Some pictures from the top of the mountain.

For some reason, they don't allow our NANO's here

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1876.jpg

The path to reach the Table top marked with the different hills

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1941.jpg

Table top with the information on hills

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1937.jpg

Various moods of MJ.

Happy!

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1944.jpg

Relaxing!

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1957.jpg

Cheers!

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1960.jpg

Howzzat!

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1925.jpg

Me on top!

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1938.jpg
Old 22nd June 2010, 16:04   #53
Senior - BHPian

Here are those 3 old ladies I was talking about.

Strong & brave

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1961.jpg

Felt proud to take a snap with them.

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1963.jpg

While returning, it was a almost without any stop. just had 2 stops in between. And we were able to make it in less than 2 hour. This was possible because i had a good company for talking with these couples.
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1967.jpg

Some more blankets of flower in the town.

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img00058201006051110.jpg

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img00059201006051111.jpg

one more panoramic view
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-panotop.jpg
Old 23rd June 2010, 10:13   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here you go...

A vintage collection

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img00047201006012036.jpg

Look at the gear.This is the first time I seeing something like this. Coming from below dash.

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img00048201006012037.jpg

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img00049201006012037.jpg

Indo-Srilankan Restaurant

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img00051201006032026.jpg

How do I call this? 3 Wheelie?

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img00052201006040909.jpg

Entrance of the Grenoble Museum.

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img00061201006061310.jpg

The Grenoble famous - Bastille fort.

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img00062201006061447.jpg

Closer shot of the cable car.

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img00063201006061448.jpg

Fountain on the roads

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img00064201006061515.jpg

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img00065201006061515.jpg
Old 23rd June 2010, 10:26   #55
Senior - BHPian

You appear to have had a fun time, train-ing, driving and hiking. Are car hire rates still depressed or have they bounced back? I recall last year, they were low thanks to recession.
Old 23rd June 2010, 10:33   #56
BHPian

Great log mjothi. You rock...
Old 23rd June 2010, 10:46   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
Great log mjothi. You rock...
Thanks Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
You appear to have had a fun time, train-ing, driving and hiking. Are car hire rates still depressed or have they bounced back? I recall last year, they were low thanks to recession.
It depends. When I rent it in the city, its atleast 20% cheaper than the one from Airport. Renting from Airport is very expensive. But then, paying for taxi is equally expensive. So you are left with no option.

Btw, I paid almost 80Euro per day (with GPS) for my last trip. I rented KIA ceed this time. 1.6 CRDi.
Old 23rd June 2010, 11:15   #58
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue and good pictures.The train drive looks to be good.The credit card getting stuck in the machine and the trekking to the mountain with old ladies while going and coming back with the couple good narration.
Old 23rd June 2010, 23:40   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Mahesh! As HVK said, looks like you had all the fun! Trekking is the best part in that country ! Exotic places, helpful people and view to die for!

Too Good!
Old 24th June 2010, 09:30   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mahesh! As HVK said, looks like you had all the fun! Trekking is the best part in that country ! Exotic places, helpful people and view to die for!

Too Good!
Thanks. I still remember working all days and night, Saturdays and Sundays during my most of the trips back in early 2000s. But then, it took me some years and maturity to enjoy the foreign land and nature.

So, now I make sure I visit atleast one near by place to admire the beauty of the land I am staying.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks