Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2010, 23:09   #31
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Vinay for those wonderful tips and insights.
would try to follow if i go on such trips in future.
Old 17th June 2010, 23:22   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
The posts are amazing. If somebody could just teach me this art. What equipment and how to go about it. Even if I achieve 50% of this I would be mighty happy.

I am very sad to see lot of fallen trees in the elephant area in your second set of pics. Have they cut these trees so that the tourists can see the animals in this ground? No reason can justify cutting trees.

You have a good sense of humour. Love this one.
well I can share whatever knowledge I have.

Regarding forest trees, this was the question I asked the naturalist when I visited Kabini in 2007. I was told that the trees was cut some 30/40 yrs back when there was no regulation. This time also someone asked this same question & same answer was given.
Old 18th June 2010, 00:13   #33

Great stuff

Dear Vinay,

Your pictures are truly amazing!

Two things most of us truly enjoy, one is being close to the nature, two - ability to capture the same beauty!

While it has been relatively easy for most of us to take as many holidays and breaks and go to hills / Himalayas / Jungle camps, on second front - personally, we all have been trying to learn and pick up the bits (I know there are many many exceptions among my fellow BHPians, who are as skilled photographers as you)!

Last week, I had a chance to go to Bandipur just for a day and it was almost drizzling throughout. Lush green scenery all around, sensual cool weather one can almost absorb and fill-in his senses, and of course all the wild life to marvel at!
I can very well appreciate - when someone made this comment about you that the animals are saluting you, as if they know / recognize you personally, - to put it simply - I (almost) know what makes you / us to keep going back to Jungles and click those pictures (of course not so great pics in my case).

Thanks.
Old 18th June 2010, 11:52   #34
BHPian

Nice pictures Vinay, I am going to Kabini Tomorrow. You seem to have got a fish eagle in the last pic.
Old 18th June 2010, 12:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

Wow. Spotted cat is something which I saw only in Zoo. Super catch. New snaps are much better without the bright borders. Waiting for more
Old 18th June 2010, 12:18   #36

Those are some amazing photos you got there Vinay! I have been to the some places in and around Bangalore but never have I sighted so many animals like you have. Great to see wildlife flourish like this.

This has inspired me to plan a Kabini trip in the near future. Thanks!
Old 18th June 2010, 13:29   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Nice pictures Vinay, I am going to Kabini Tomorrow. You seem to have got a fish eagle in the last pic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjains View Post
Dear Vinay,

Your pictures are truly amazing!

Two things most of us truly enjoy, one is being close to the nature, two - ability to capture the same beauty!

While it has been relatively easy for most of us to take as many holidays and breaks and go to hills / Himalayas / Jungle camps, on second front - personally, we all have been trying to learn and pick up the bits (I know there are many many exceptions among my fellow BHPians, who are as skilled photographers as you)!

Last week, I had a chance to go to Bandipur just for a day and it was almost drizzling throughout. Lush green scenery all around, sensual cool weather one can almost absorb and fill-in his senses, and of course all the wild life to marvel at!
I can very well appreciate - when someone made this comment about you that the animals are saluting you, as if they know / recognize you personally, - to put it simply - I (almost) know what makes you / us to keep going back to Jungles and click those pictures (of course not so great pics in my case).

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Wow. Spotted cat is something which I saw only in Zoo. Super catch. New snaps are much better without the bright borders. Waiting for more
Thanks everyone you for words/compliments.

@redrage - Yes, you are right, it is grey headed fish eagle. I learnt the name in the recent trip.
Where are you planning to stay in Kabini?

I am uploading some more pics, hope you all are not getting bored. Do let me know if its too many.
Life in Jungles of Kabini - June 2010-kabini-10-june-2010_0520.jpg

Life in Jungles of Kabini - June 2010-kabini-10-june-2010_0538.jpg

Life in Jungles of Kabini - June 2010-kabini-10-june-2010_0562.jpg

Life in Jungles of Kabini - June 2010-kabini-10-june-2010_696.jpg
Old 18th June 2010, 16:49   #38
BHPian

thanks Vinay for the lovely snaps. Have always enjoyed you snaps from the wild.

Heres something to help you with the birds.

On the post above 2nd pic is a Darter, 3rd a Brahmini Kite and 4th is a Changeable Hawk Eagle.

And on the ones before that with photos the last pic is of a Grey headed fishing eagle if I am not wrong. The white ones are Common Egrets.

and on post 14 after the elephants is a Grey Heron (Beautiful capture) and the next 2 are of a Brahmini Kite.

Hope that helps

Also as far as my knowledge goes the trees were not cut but these are trees which have died after the backwaters came into existence there. The backwater happened after the construction of the dam.

Last edited by sarmarishi : 18th June 2010 at 16:56.
Old 18th June 2010, 20:40   #39
Senior - BHPian

Vinay,
Let me again compliment you on your magnificent photography, just loved the composition, birds against the dark contrasting back ground. WONDERFUL.
Old 18th June 2010, 23:46   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
thanks Vinay for the lovely snaps. Have always enjoyed you snaps from the wild.

Heres something to help you with the birds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Vinay,
Let me again compliment you on your magnificent photography, just loved the composition, birds against the dark contrasting back ground. WONDERFUL.
@sarmarishi - Thanks for the words & also for helping me with the names of the bird.

@Fazal Sir - Thanks for your compliment. And regarding composition for birds, that was intentional. I have tried to take pics with a dark background and it worked for most of it.

Some more pics follows:
Life in Jungles of Kabini - June 2010-kabini-10-june-2010_0584.jpg

Life in Jungles of Kabini - June 2010-kabini-10-june-2010_0587.jpg

Life in Jungles of Kabini - June 2010-kabini-10-june-2010_0588.jpg

Life in Jungles of Kabini - June 2010-kabini-10-june-2010_0590.jpg

Life in Jungles of Kabini - June 2010-kabini-10-june-2010_0591.jpg

Life in Jungles of Kabini - June 2010-kabini-10-june-2010_0595.jpg

Life in Jungles of Kabini - June 2010-kabini-10-june-2010_0605.jpg
Old 19th June 2010, 12:40   #41
Senior - BHPian

Vinay,
The panther shots are clean. Not many can get them descending or ascending a tree (I think it is a rosewood tree) due to its extremely cautious and nocturnal nature. Last year, this time exactly we were in Kabini, the sheer beauty of this jungle is enough to take you there again and again, animals or no animals.

The blur of the legs shows you shot at slow shutter speed. Was this intentional due to poor light?

What was the zoom on your camera body at the time of the panther descent and the distance?
Regards,
Old 19th June 2010, 14:23   #42
BHPian

Great photos Vinay. I especially liked the leopard's pictures. (Is it a female?) I can imagine the exhilaration you must have felt with such a sighting. These guys are the most elusive amongst big cats.
Old 20th June 2010, 14:39   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Vinay,
The blur of the legs shows you shot at slow shutter speed. Was this intentional due to poor light?

What was the zoom on your camera body at the time of the panther descent and the distance?
Regards,
Fazal Sir
Yes, you are right. The shot were taken at low speed. You can say its intentional as I didn't had any better option that time. We spotted the leopard round 7 AM morning and it was a cloudy day.
I was using 70-200mm f 2.8 Non IS lens and it was on a tree around 50-60m from our jeep.
Truly speaking, I am not too happy with my leopard shots. Picture are not as sharp as I wanted it to be. I have taken shot with -1 exposure and ISO 400. I could have increased the ISO but Canon 400D body will introduce noise for any ISO more than 400.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Great photos Vinay. I especially liked the leopard's pictures. (Is it a female?) I can imagine the exhilaration you must have felt with such a sighting. These guys are the most elusive amongst big cats.
Wolfheart
Thanks, yes she was a young female and very beautiful. I still remember the sighting, can't forget it
Old 20th June 2010, 14:55   #44
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Vinay, the pics are really wonderfull !

The leopard descending from the tree is awesome, reminded me of my cat who keeps climbing up & down a tree in our compound. She can climb up in less than 5 seconds to around 20 feet & descend even quicker than that !!
Old 20th June 2010, 16:07   #45
BHPian

Sharing some more pics:

Life in Jungles of Kabini - June 2010-kabini-10-june-2010_741.jpg

Life in Jungles of Kabini - June 2010-kabini-10-june-2010_747.jpg

Life in Jungles of Kabini - June 2010-kabini-10-june-2010_757.jpg

Life in Jungles of Kabini - June 2010-kabini-10-june-2010_781.jpg

Life in Jungles of Kabini - June 2010-kabini-10-june-2010_788.jpg

Life in Jungles of Kabini - June 2010-kabini-10-june-2010_807.jpg

Life in Jungles of Kabini - June 2010-kabini-10-june-2010_841.jpg

Life in Jungles of Kabini - June 2010-kabini-10-june-2010_844.jpg

Most Viewed