Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2010, 23:35   #1
BHPian

kinnaur trip on my new punto

well I am from kinnaur & I have done this route ,may be a 100 times,I am not that much of a travelogue writer but these were the places that made my click finger itchy.I went to {pooh} kinnaur on my new grande punto diesel{bought on 30-05-2010} on 14th & was back on 16th of june,I was driving on a rainy day & the risk of landslides & falling rocks increases many folds,but this very fact makes the photos, a little bit special. I will answer any queries,if any. enjoy the photos!!
Attached Thumbnails
kinnaur trip on my new punto-u6ybtvr.jpg  

kinnaur trip on my new punto-100_1502.jpg  

kinnaur trip on my new punto-100_1503.jpg  

kinnaur trip on my new punto-100_1515.jpg  

kinnaur trip on my new punto-100_1517.jpg  

kinnaur trip on my new punto-100_1522.jpg  

kinnaur trip on my new punto-100_1534.jpg  

kinnaur trip on my new punto-100_1535.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 17th June 2010, 08:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Great locations. Lucky guys

Bring on more sir.
Old 17th June 2010, 08:17   #3
BHPian

The location is superb, especially the 4th picture where you have parked your punto near the mouth of the artifical cave! please do post more.

*off-topic* how the punto diesel's performance on the ghats?
Old 17th June 2010, 08:30   #4
BHPian

the punto's in built mileage indicator showed a reading of 16.5 km/l at the end of the trip. the distance travelled was 634 kms {from shimla to pooh & back} including a detour to nako lake too.

The way to my apple orchards is a place I trek a lot ,at pooh, its a 3km climb from the village,but the location is divine.

well trekking in places like these is somewhat like high altitude training, the SAI guys undergo at shilaru,i can guarantee one kg weight loss per climb.
Attached Thumbnails
kinnaur trip on my new punto-1-021.jpg  

kinnaur trip on my new punto-1-091.jpg  

kinnaur trip on my new punto-1-095.jpg  

kinnaur trip on my new punto-1-193.jpg  

kinnaur trip on my new punto-1-198.jpg  

kinnaur trip on my new punto-1-095.jpg  

kinnaur trip on my new punto-1-137.jpg  

kinnaur trip on my new punto-1-145.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th June 2010 at 10:31. Reason: Back to back posts. Go through Announcements on how to insert picture between text. Thanks
Old 17th June 2010, 10:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Awesome... For first few shots I thoughts this place is outside India (Never heard about Kinnaur),. Keep the pics coming man !
Old 17th June 2010, 11:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Beautifull place indeed, does it snow in Kinnaur in winters, how much? How are the road conditions during winters? Can this drive be done during winter time??

regards
Old 17th June 2010, 11:32   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Beautifull place indeed, does it snow in Kinnaur in winters, how much? How are the road conditions during winters? Can this drive be done during winter time??

regards
Yup, it does snow in Kinnaur during winters. The amount varies, but you do get a decent amount. Places like Kalpa & Chitkul get covered with snow. The roads are open, but yeah, there's snow on them too. Though I haven't done it (but want to), I believe the drive can indeed be done during winters.
Old 17th June 2010, 11:32   #8
BHPian

Real Apples

well the upper kinnaur area starts from the village of spilo ,which is 25 kms from pooh, the main villages in the area are dublin,chango,namgya,pooh & nako.the mongolian tribes of upper kinnaur migrated from mongolia & conquered lands here,the businessmen{negi's} migrated from uttranchal ,during the days of indo tibetian border trade, to upper kinnaur .we had the lands & they had the money, so alliances were forged through marriages.as per my village elders upper kinnaur held no interest for the mughal rulers as this was a hostile terrain with cold weather & not much of a revenue to offer.the rest of the low lying himachal was made up of hindu's escaping the aurangzeeb's muslim conversion drive.
apples are the main stay of the kinnauri economy,the apples are 90% organic & i rarely find these apples for sale in india,the buyers again do some waxing & re-grading of apples in smaller packs & even do some mixing & matching of the kinnauri apples with the apples from rohru,kotgarh ,kullu & lower kinnaur to make money.
apples in my orchards are picked up in the last week of october ,at the same time as the apples from chango{the best apples as per the local folklore} are picked .its the altitude that defines the quality of apples here in himachal, price of 1kg of apples from {chango}kinnaur = price of 2-3 kg of apples from anywhere himachal.The apples cant be any better ,As it starts snowing here in the first week of november & its just the one week window we have to do our picking/packing/transporting/selling thing before we are cut off from the rest of the world.
Attached Thumbnails
kinnaur trip on my new punto-1-002.jpg  

kinnaur trip on my new punto-1-257.jpg  

kinnaur trip on my new punto-.jpg  

kinnaur trip on my new punto-e.jpg  

kinnaur trip on my new punto-f.jpg  

Old 17th June 2010, 11:45   #9
BHPian

well there are army encampments at karcham,shantong & a brigade at pooh ,the roads are well maintained by the GREF people,so ,as to keep the ration coming. but there are times of heavy snow fall when helicopters are the only option.a double lane road is being made these days,till pooh ,the army guys told me that they are going to bring in the bofors guns to sumdoh & pooh & the roads are being widened for them.
Old 17th June 2010, 11:45   #10
BHPian

Brilliant pictures there; is it the same road which has a 3 kilometer tunnel to pass through
Old 17th June 2010, 11:50   #11
BHPian

that 3 km tunnel is at largi en-route to manali via chandigarh
Old 17th June 2010, 12:28   #12
Team-BHP Support

Amazing snaps. Looks like Punto has taken a real beating!
Old 17th June 2010, 12:39   #13
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderful vistas and the Punto looks eternal in the Himalayas.
Great snaps. Bring it on !!
Old 17th June 2010, 13:22   #14
BHPian

Great to hear tales about Kinnaur from the perspective of a local, that being you hellletloose. The apple thing reminds me of the Kinnaur trip I'd done in July 2008. In Kalpa we saw apple orchards left, right and center. The locals told that if we'd come in September, we could have brought freshly plucked apples and the price he mentioned left us . They're so low as compared to NCR.

While coming back, we stopped at Sarahan for a couple of days. The place was full of apples ready for plucking, which we of course did. It felt so good relishing on freshly plucked, juicy apples. But yeah, waiting for the time when I'll be plucking those Kinnauri apples.

Waiting for more!
Old 17th June 2010, 13:48   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Amazing snaps. Looks like Punto has taken a real beating!
The punto seems dirty as i mentioned it was raining that day & the road was muddy, but do have a look at the glass panes that are clean & transparent ,they are the only thing that you need to clean ,when in kinnaur. that graffiti is done by village kids.
Well punto in itself is a amazing car ,it really cuts you off from the noises & rattlings of the outside & lets you to spend time with yourself & of course nature{barring the driver}.At times I can also feel the feel some sort of g-forces, when i am overtaking another vehicle. well if you know the art of not loosing momentum at the curves & bends you can climb literally in 4th gear, with a 3rd gear kept in reserve for steeper climbs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks