Team-BHP - Ladakh and Changthang : The Wilderness Chronicles
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Ladakh and Changthang : The Wilderness Chronicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/83818-ladakh-changthang-wilderness-chronicles-10.html)

The HD videos have been shot with the FZ?
Awesome quality!

Kyun Tso pictures are beautiful!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutripta (Post 1950799)
Hi,
Superb. Esp. the drive to Kyon Tso. One would not have thought it possible to be an explorer in 21st century overcrowded India!

Have you uploaded these tracks to OSM? If not OSM, then where can we get them? Also what about the Marsimik La track from last year?

Regards
Sutripta

I will upload these to OSM soon. As for M.La why do you need a track. ITs a one straight road, you can't go anywhere else. Moreover. I am not sure its its a good idea to have it mapped on OSM. After all, officially, tourists are not really allowed there.
Rest Wari La etc., I mapped last year only

Quote:

Originally Posted by akbaree (Post 1951011)
Some of the compositions are mindblowing. gr8 log tsk...

The perspective distortion becomes quite evident when wide angle is used to shoot your white elephant along with landscape. Trying to relate the theory I keep reading with the snaps here. I am yet to buy my first DSLR.

Yes 10-24 does have severe distortion, common with all wide angles
Quote:

Originally Posted by pulsar56 (Post 1951016)
The HD videos have been shot with the FZ?
Awesome quality!

Kyun Tso pictures are beautiful!

Thanks! Videos are with FZ-35

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 1951024)
I will upload these to OSM soon. As for M.La why do you need a track.

To compare with DEM data.

Regards
Sutripta

Awesome Travelogue Tanveer. Unbelivebale pictures. Do you believe all this could be done in a 2WD scorpio 2.2?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikkal (Post 1951082)
Awesome Travelogue Tanveer. Unbelivebale pictures. Do you believe all this could be done in a 2WD scorpio 2.2?

Yes, all can be done in 2WD scorpio, except for Kyun Tso, which has some trouble spots. If you can avoid them, then its okay, or if you have 2 vehicles, then also its good.

Thanks for taking time to write this awesome travelogue.
Its awe-inspiring and motivating.

tsk,
have you taken the writing style fom the book called "the little prince" ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sqwall (Post 1951124)
Thanks for taking time to write this awesome travelogue.
Its awe-inspiring and motivating.

Thanks...!
Quote:

Originally Posted by govigov (Post 1951163)
tsk,
have you taken the writing style fom the book called "the little prince" ?

I have never heard of this book. Is it SciFi(or fantasy), if its not probably I will never get to read it :)

Fortunately, the track, though very bumpy and very rocky did not have any serious blockades. At one place we had to get out and remove the rocks, but thats about it.
We were approaching Nidar village.
I generally zoomed out on the GPS to see where we were. Well, we were near Nidar now, and few kms to the west was Tso Moriri. Imaging, its a long 100km journey by road, but a trekker can simply climb the slopes to our left, and get a glimpse.

I sure was tempted, but all this high altitude circus had exhausted us. Some other day, some other time, we will look for a way to the top of the peaks, and get a glimpse of the Tso Moriri.

anyways, we were in the plains.
The biggest surprise was the village
Ladakh and Changthang : The Wilderness Chronicles-907593301_gkab7l.jpg

Just a couple of permanent structures remained. The entire settlement was gone Guess they will return end of June to Sow wheat?
The track was the same as last year. The "road" was a pain, and the off road tracks were the way to go.
Finally around 1520, we merged with the Main road
Ladakh and Changthang : The Wilderness Chronicles-907615482_zbzqjl.jpg

Leh was to the left, but we were hungry. How about a quick bite at Nyoma, just a couple of kms away?

Well Nyoma looked somewhat deserted. Hardly any tourists come here, though its a major town with a college and school too!
Unfortunately, the local ladakhi eateries were closed, and we had to be content eating from the Tibetian place. As expected, they fleeced us good. But today, nothing could spoil our moods. We had seen Kyun Tso!

After 6 hours in the wilderness, we were back in civilization.
In a few hours we will be in Leh, and our loop would end. Day after tomorrow, we return to our lives in the plains. With a heavy heart of course!

This is one place which calls you again and again!

TO Be CONT......

awesome TSK they should give you an honorary rank of surveyor general in survey of India :thumbs up for mapping out these tracks.

What is that water body in 907615482_ZBzqj-L.jpg ?

Thats the indus river. Road goes along the river all the way to Leh

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 1951558)
Thats the indus river. Road goes along the river all the way to Leh

Aah mighty indus looks so docile here, Did you taste water ? I guess there is no need to pollute and waste money on water bottles if Indus runs along the road.

We did not taste the water. But we bought just two water bottles.
From Delhi we carried 10 liters of water. It served us till leh, where we had to buy the 2 bottles.
After that at Nubra we filled our stock. Then at Hanle we filled our stock.
It served us well till home.

Now these are some pics!!! :thumbs up

You know what my heart stops beating when I look at the beauty of the place. You have done full justice to the place by your lens.

I am sure you have inspired many BHPians to explore this place. And I am one of them :)

After the food, we had another task to do. Inform the Thongsal, that we were coming. Before coming we had told them we will definitely come on 12th, but 50% chance we come on the 11th itself.
However, the mobile tower was not working, and the local PCO guy told us that BSNL has gone kaput in the entire Ladakh region!
Some cable cut or something.
We called up the hotel owners Airtel, and confirmed our arrival.

After that it was time for the long drive back to Leh.
But, with roads like this, who was complaining. After 3 days of driving on tracks, this was a welcome change
Ladakh and Changthang : The Wilderness Chronicles-907646153_4dxecl.jpg
The desert
Ladakh and Changthang : The Wilderness Chronicles-907615307_gkbexl.jpg
The colors of Nyoma Rap
Ladakh and Changthang : The Wilderness Chronicles-907659157_w7tznl.jpg

Clouds were gathering
Ladakh and Changthang : The Wilderness Chronicles-907647995_6rwkhl.jpg
And we got snowfall too, with the sun shining. Will post the videos later!
Our last sighting of the Kiang
Ladakh and Changthang : The Wilderness Chronicles-907653856_f7mt9l.jpg

Kiangs gave way to horses
Ladakh and Changthang : The Wilderness Chronicles-907659409_bgewhl.jpg

Ladakh and Changthang : The Wilderness Chronicles-907666772_rczzal.jpg

And Yaks
Ladakh and Changthang : The Wilderness Chronicles-907669372_xuqnnl.jpg

Ladakh and Changthang : The Wilderness Chronicles-907673085_vsvpbl.jpg

The Road was narrow, but progress was fast. No Army convoys on the road today
Ladakh and Changthang : The Wilderness Chronicles-907616574_ruaryl.jpg

Ladakh and Changthang : The Wilderness Chronicles-907605516_ej2t3l.jpg

A Village. Look at the mountain, and the cloud. This is the general direction of More plains. Looks like Baralacha La was being pounded
Ladakh and Changthang : The Wilderness Chronicles-907686550_ibc5ql.jpg

At Mahe checkpost the policemen were wondering why did they not see us going to Hanle. Because we went via the other way!!

It was getting darker due to clouds. However, in June daylight lasts beyond 8pm!
Ladakh and Changthang : The Wilderness Chronicles-907682496_cp2cfl.jpg

finally our last pic for the day
Ladakh and Changthang : The Wilderness Chronicles-907683353_uyd3ql.jpg

On the way we transferred 13 liters remaining into the tank. Just as it got Dark we entered Leh.

Our loop had ended!
931kms, and we had done the Changthang Loop. Not repeated any section, not even the Hanle section.

__ END of CHANGTHANG LOOP__