Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2010, 13:26   #151
BHPian

Boss, you are the Columbus of this forum. Congrats.
Very good write up. This thread has already been recommended to my non-TBPH colleagues, whom I am trying to convince for a Leh trip. If you guys are reading this, folks, lets just go! If not to tthese exotic places, atleast to Leh!

TSK, when you say you will be uploading this to OSM, does that mean that this will be available on www.openstreetmap.org. How can we access these maps? Is there a thread on this topic in this forum?
Old 24th June 2010, 14:47   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Our loop had ended!
931kms, and we had done the Changthang Loop. Not repeated any section, not even the Hanle section.
__ END of CHANGTHANG LOOP__
Tanveer - excellent trip and equally well narrated.

How did you arrive upon the 'unconventional' routes like Agham - Durbuk or Hanle - Kyon Tso - Nyoma? Was it that these were just points that you mapped on your GPS and decided to traverse b/w them as the crow flies? I am sure you must have some indication that there is a route, albeit not-so-doable, that does exist b/w these places.

Can you please share the GPS log for the entire trip?

On a related (maybe unrelated) note - your white elephant has yet again proved its reliability by being faithful all through the journey!!
Old 24th June 2010, 14:59   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Very good write up. This thread has already been recommended to my non-TBPH colleagues, whom I am trying to convince for a Leh trip. If you guys are reading this, folks, lets just go! If not to tthese exotic places, atleast to Leh!
Yes, Tushar, I am reading this thread. Thanks for recommending. This is mindblowing stuff. But I am that never-seen-what-is-inside-bonnet kind of person. And this the area where engine freezes, you drive on broken bridge with one wheel on iron rod, both oxygen and fuel is at premium. I am truly afraid!

TSK, Thanks for sharing this pictorial travelogue with us.
Old 24th June 2010, 17:34   #154
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Boss, you are the Columbus of this forum. Congrats.

TSK, when you say you will be uploading this to OSM, does that mean that this will be available on www.openstreetmap.org. How can we access these maps? Is there a thread on this topic in this forum?
Yes, openstreetmap.org is the site. I have just started. Agam route should start showing in a week as a tertiary road. Rest of the routes also should start showing by end of the month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Tanveer - excellent trip and equally well narrated.

How did you arrive upon the 'unconventional' routes like Agham - Durbuk or Hanle - Kyon Tso - Nyoma? Was it that these were just points that you mapped on your GPS and decided to traverse b/w them as the crow flies? I am sure you must have some indication that there is a route, albeit not-so-doable, that does exist b/w these places.

Can you please share the GPS log for the entire trip?

On a related (maybe unrelated) note - your white elephant has yet again proved its reliability by being faithful all through the journey!!
I am uploading them on osm. You can search for tsk1979 there and get the logs!
Regarding the unconventional route,
1. For Agam Durbuk, there was a thread started on BCMT speculating about this route. In Leh I asked my friend(posted in Army to confirm), and in Nubra I spoke to a few locals. Speaking to Locals is the best way
2. For Kyun Tso, I just saw a photo on the internet and some discussion of a 60kph member about a hidden lake. After that I started pouring over satellite images in google earth and located the lakes. Last year at Nidar I spoke to locals who told me that this route goes to chumur via Kyun Tso, and due to recent freak rains, the landslide has blocked the road. Thats why we could not do it last year. This year at Hanle I spoke to locals, who confirmed its motorable, and then navigated as the crow flies. I mostly navigate anywhere as the crow flies. Its the best way to discover new places.
Speaking of the white elephant, she feels happy in the mountains, I guess thats the reason for reliability. City traffic makes her unhappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
Yes, Tushar, I am reading this thread. Thanks for recommending. This is mindblowing stuff. But I am that never-seen-what-is-inside-bonnet kind of person. And this the area where engine freezes, you drive on broken bridge with one wheel on iron rod, both oxygen and fuel is at premium. I am truly afraid!

TSK, Thanks for sharing this pictorial travelogue with us.
Don't be afraid. the bridge will be constructed in a weeks time at most!
Old 24th June 2010, 18:48   #155
Team-BHP Support

The Changthang Loop - Statistics

From looking at satellite images etc., I had reckoned around 1050kms, but thankfully, the entire loop was only 931kms
Total Fuel Consumed -> 98.42 liters 9.46 FE

Here is the entire loop
Ladakh and Changthang : The Wilderness Chronicles-912080598_eqenyx2.jpg

Altitude profile for the Entire Loop. 5378.9m is the height of Khardungla as per GPS
Ladakh and Changthang : The Wilderness Chronicles-911948148_5ut2mx2.jpg

Breaking it down to the legs
Day 1 - Leh to Nubra
Ladakh and Changthang : The Wilderness Chronicles-911953032_prpgox2.jpg
Highest altitude, is Khardung La
Day 2 - Nubra to Pangong
Ladakh and Changthang : The Wilderness Chronicles-911953045_5cafox2.jpg
4355m is the highest altitude, probably at the Pagal Nallah when the road rises
Day 3 - Pangong To Hanle
Ladakh and Changthang : The Wilderness Chronicles-911953074_xxdzqx2.jpg
4659.1m at the Tsaga(Chagga) La
Day 4 - Hanle Kyun Tso Leh
Our longest and toughest run
Ladakh and Changthang : The Wilderness Chronicles-911953002_zwtttx2.jpg
5123.2 meters at the White Elephant La

Entire route is now on OSM, will start showing in maps soon.
Agam Shyok route will be small car motorable by now. Its much easier than Chang La, and will allow people to go to Pangong from Nubra in just 3-4 hours flat!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th June 2010 at 18:51.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2010, 19:36   #156
BHPian

Excellent writeup Tanveer and justified more so by the Superb Pics.

Brought back fond memories

Good to hear about the Clubs meet. You met 60kpher's!! Param, Harry, Rahul and Veena ( though i didnt see her in the pic)

Do post more photos of the route from Man to Chushul to Hanle and also the Kyun Tso route.
Old 24th June 2010, 20:06   #157
Senior - BHPian

Amazing!! One travelogue that I did not pause to step away from the screen, went out for a walk after reading this, just to get me back to reality!!

Tanveer, great going, one person to look up when i come to Delhi, will need your help in my quest to drive in the mountains.
Cheers,
Hari.
Old 24th June 2010, 21:12   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From looking at satellite images etc., I had reckoned around 1050kms, but thankfully, the entire loop was only 931kms
Total Fuel Consumed -> 98.42 liters 9.46 FE
I think in that terrain its a great FE for the beast.

Now I see that you are not only expert in photography but also in providing some excellent statistics. These are some wonderful graphs. Thats the way go man .
Old 24th June 2010, 22:24   #159
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bapu View Post
Excellent writeup Tanveer and justified more so by the Superb Pics.

Brought back fond memories

Good to hear about the Clubs meet. You met 60kpher's!! Param, Harry, Rahul and Veena ( though i didnt see her in the pic)

Do post more photos of the route from Man to Chushul to Hanle and also the Kyun Tso route.
Well too much driving means less pics
However you can check my videos on youtube(tsk1979) or visit smugmug
Tanveer Singh (tanveer)'s Photos : Travel : Ladakh 2010
As for the meet. Rahul and Veena were also there, though you cannot see her in the pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Amazing!! One travelogue that I did not pause to step away from the screen, went out for a walk after reading this, just to get me back to reality!!

Tanveer, great going, one person to look up when i come to Delhi, will need your help in my quest to drive in the mountains.
Cheers,
Hari.
Sure hari, any time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
I think in that terrain its a great FE for the beast.

Now I see that you are not only expert in photography but also in providing some excellent statistics. These are some wonderful graphs. Thats the way go man .
Thanks Bull
Old 24th June 2010, 23:30   #160
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer,

awesome pics. I like the logic of the white elephant's reliability

btw, you could've gotten the route from bhatto saab - he has been the first post I'd seen about it online!!

Those elevation profiles are all extremely interesting! Me likes!!

I only wish maruti launches a Gypsy diesel. That would be THE beast to conquer these mountains!
Old 24th June 2010, 23:38   #161
BHPian

Speechless! It was like just reading a love letter! got totally mesmerized by the flow of words; leave away the stunning pictures.
After reading this, it's really hard to stop myself from making plans for Pangong!

Kudos to you and your white elephant
Old 25th June 2010, 00:05   #162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Tanveer,

awesome pics. I like the logic of the white elephant's reliability

btw, you could've gotten the route from bhatto saab - he has been the first post I'd seen about it online!!

Those elevation profiles are all extremely interesting! Me likes!!

I only wish maruti launches a Gypsy diesel. That would be THE beast to conquer these mountains!
WEll I did ask Bhatto Sahib, but he has never taken this route. He trekked on Mata II and the other peaks around Tso Moriri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hridayjyoti View Post
Speechless! It was like just reading a love letter! got totally mesmerized by the flow of words; leave away the stunning pictures.
After reading this, it's really hard to stop myself from making plans for Pangong!

Kudos to you and your white elephant
Thanks!
Old 25th June 2010, 12:13   #163
Team-BHP Support

Day 9,10: Communication Error, and Random Stuff

The late evening of Friday, 11th June was a chaotic one. Our phone had stopped working. It would sometimes get signal, sometimes no signal, but no calls were possible. Asking around revealed the reason.
A cable had been cut somewhere, and this had resulted in Ladakh BSNL being cut off from the world. Not only that, even internet broadband services were down, with only a couple of satellite based cyber cafes working, and having lot of rush.

Somehow we are able to contact Ajay Raina(our friend in the Army) via Airtel STD booth, and let him know that we are not incommunicado!
He informed us, that the Manali Leh highway has closed again, and for 2 weeks there is no chance of opening. As it appears, we will have to do the blasted Srinagar route again! Not a good news.

We have dinner, and go off to sleep. Aim is to sleep atleast till 11am. Its our rest day in Leh

The day is spent roaming around, and we also meet Ajay and his family. Its our last day in Leh, tomorrow we will go back.

Late evening we have a quick meet and coffee with Ajay Narain, and Rudra. We learn, that their second attempt at pangong has been thwarted by Chang La.
They had to turn back!

After that its time for a drive to all the bus stands of the city, looking for a HP numbered taxi. The rumour was that a vehicle had come from Sarchu side.

After an hour of searching, we finally locate our vehicle, and he has indeed come from Sarchu. But not after crossing Baralacha La. They had gone to Sarchu to wait for the road to open, but after being stuck for 3 days, they had to come back to leh.
He says that the conditions are very very bad. Its totally crazy out there.

Now its confirmed. We have to go back via Srinagar route!

Our journey has ended, and we begin the long dreary ride back to Punjab.
But little did we know, what sort of unexpected and unwanted excitement was waiting for us!

TO BE CONT.........
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2010, 12:25   #164
Senior - BHPian

Abbe boss, its Friday. F5 season is here - complete it today - don't leave us hanging over the weekend

PS: this shud be interesting - adventures in what should've been a boring ride back home!! caman da story....!
Old 25th June 2010, 12:38   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Our journey has ended, and we begin the long dreary ride back to Punjab.
But little did we know, what sort of unexpected and unwanted excitement was waiting for us!

waiting with bated breath!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks