Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2010, 17:31   #286
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardhan.harsh View Post
hey, the map looks nice, how did you export the gpx into jpgs automatically? or is it merging of different screenshots?
Harsh, I generated an oziexplorer map for the gpx. oziexplorer generation involves dumpung out a .map and jpeg file, and then converting it to CE format.
So after the first step,I just opened the file in GIMP and processed it.
Old 9th August 2010, 18:15   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Hunder Diskit and Panamik are in the Nubra valley!
Oh my bad, do I have such a bad direction sense, anyways thanks TSK for clarifying
Old 13th August 2010, 22:06   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have created the scale accurate map. I have mapped sections with GPX available. Rest, I have not added anything.
Hi,
A couple of suggestions and questions.

Give scale as xxx pixels per Km. This is because how the map will be reproduced is not known. Even if it is at 72 dpi (or whatever) quite a bit of extra calculation has to be done.

On your way to Kyun Tso, you took a detour, which you then trackbacked. This is also shown on the map, but can only lead to confusion.

Overlaid your tracks on your map. Could not find a few trackplots for a few tracks. These are shown in brown.

Regards
Sutripta
Attached Thumbnails
Ladakh and Changthang : The Wilderness Chronicles-tsk_jpg2trk.jpg  

Old 17th August 2010, 11:19   #289
Team-BHP Support

Actually, these missing sections were mapped from satellite images, and some tracks I got from friends.
After mapping with satellite images, I verified the track I had mapped, and indeed, it was correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
A couple of suggestions and questions.

Give scale as xxx pixels per Km. This is because how the map will be reproduced is not known. Even if it is at 72 dpi (or whatever) quite a bit of extra calculation has to be done.

On your way to Kyun Tso, you took a detour, which you then trackbacked. This is also shown on the map, but can only lead to confusion.

Overlaid your tracks on your map. Could not find a few trackplots for a few tracks. These are shown in brown.

Regards
Sutripta
Can you also tell me how to convert to meters per pixel for this map.
I tried looking at level 12 zoom in OSM documentation, but it appears, for every latitude, you have to multiply with the cosine to get the actual number.
So different parts of the map would have difference meters per pixel ratio
Old 17th August 2010, 20:35   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you also tell me how to convert to meters per pixel for this map.
I tried looking at level 12 zoom in OSM documentation, but it appears, for every latitude, you have to multiply with the cosine to get the actual number.
So different parts of the map would have difference meters per pixel ratio
Hi,
Since we are trying to represent the surface of a sphere on a plane, we are going to have distortions. Distance, area, bearing, all are affected. We have different projections which will minimize/ eliminate one at the cost of others.

Our map uses what is known as geographic projection:- a fancy name for using Lat/ Long as x/ y in a Cartesian system. Obviously, the further from the equator, the more distances will be magnified.

The scale mentioned on a map is accurate only at one point. If it is a standard projection, one knows where.

In our case we have these options
a) use a GIS package to reproject, preferably to UTM
b) don't manipulate the map. Mention scale along a meridian
c) Compress the image along the x axis by a factor of Cos Phi, Phi being some appropriate latitude. Mention scale along that latitude.

Though c) will look more accurate, it will not be handled by any standard GIS package.

Easiest soln: Load the map in Ozi. Measure edge to edge vertical distance in both Km and pixels. Mention that. (4288 pixels for 270 Km)

Regards
Sutripta
Old 18th August 2010, 10:42   #291
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a ton suprita. I will start work on the map, and make it better.
I will also create a humongous GPX by stiching the maps together. So anybody wanting to do these sections can just load the GPX in their GPS and go!
Old 18th August 2010, 20:47   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will also create a humongous GPX by stiching the maps together. So anybody wanting to do these sections can just load the GPX in their GPS and go!
Hi,
BTW, Its Sutripta

Underlying maps:
The most interesting is overlaying the tracks on Google Terrain. Because of copyright reasons, you can't do it, but anyone can do it in his individual capacity.

Also, one can use the old AMS U502 maps, or the Soviet ones. No copyright issues with either. Maybe I'll do that over the weekend, and post it. However, those files will be large (over TBhps size limits)

Regards
Sutripta
Old 19th August 2010, 10:57   #293
Team-BHP Support

Sorry about the name typo
I am told I can also use open ariel maps. They are not as detailed as google earth, but are free to use.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2010, 17:53   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Tanveer,

By any chance are you able to complete the stiching part. I am going over there, so it will be very usefule for me.

Thanks!

Alok
Old 29th September 2010, 18:21   #295
Team-BHP Support

Not yet, however you can download my individual gpx files from OSM, and use them. They are tagged based on route and region
Old 17th February 2011, 12:26   #296
BHPian

Re: Ladakh and Changthang : The Wilderness Chronicles

I'm wondering how I missed this thread. Just amazed by these pictures. I still can't believe i'm going there this May. FOR A WHOLE MONTH

Its for a good cause. Re building homes in areas such as Wanla, Ursi, Achinathang, Hanu Yongma, Hanu Dolma, Dha, Biama, Skirbuchan, Thiksey, Igoo, Urla, Saspol, Bazgo, Ney, Likir, Tyakshi and others.

I wanted to know if these places are close to Leh. The thing is that I will be sponsoring the whole thing myself. And a month of stay/food/travel/misc might get a little too heavy on the pocket. Some pointer from people who have been there can be extremely helpful.

If someone has any idea about renting a place for a month of so then i would probably go for that. Another question is about these places i just mentioned. Would they be closer to Leh or are they far away places?
Old 17th February 2011, 12:34   #297
Team-BHP Support

IO am glad you liked the T.log Borin.
Leh will be kind of your center point.
As for hotel stay, you get good hotels with car parking and hot water for around 600/month in the month of May.
If you do not require car parking etc., you can search for some nice guest houses for around 300INR.
Outside Leh, the villages have home stay options for 300/night or similar rates.
AS for renting, you should be able to rent a room in a guest house for around 3000/4000 for the entire month.
Get in touch with your local contacts.
What exactly is your budget.
Old 17th February 2011, 12:58   #298
BHPian

Quote:
IO am glad you liked the T.log Borin.
Leh will be kind of your center point.
As for hotel stay, you get good hotels with car parking and hot water for around 600/month in the month of May.
If you do not require car parking etc., you can search for some nice guest houses for around 300INR.
Outside Leh, the villages have home stay options for 300/night or similar rates.
AS for renting, you should be able to rent a room in a guest house for around 3000/4000 for the entire month.
Get in touch with your local contacts.
What exactly is your budget.
Thanks a ton!
Although my plans are definite, the contacts are very busy with other related work in Delhi. I couldn't get to talk to them much but was assured that they would make some arrangements. I just wasn't sure of the kind of place to stay.
My budget is around 20,000 for the whole month including stay. With around 5k for staying expenses. Would around 15k be enough for the rest of the necessities? I would still have around 10 to 15 k extra but I'm gonna make sure that I don't spend much cos I plan to donate the rest before leaving.

Another Q was whether I could get a detailed map of Ladakh District anywhere? Online or through a store in Delhi? I'm also planning to get a GPS phone. Probably like a Videocon V6200 (ducati). Would that be helpful?
Old 22nd February 2011, 19:08   #299
Team-BHP Support

Borin, you can look at Openstreetmap.org, I have mapped most of the region. This thread also has some maps from my GPS logs, however, all roads which are there, are mapped on OSM completely.

As for expenses, the biggest expense there can be food if you like to eat "fancy". Stick to small dhabas, or better still cook your own if you can, and you will be saving a lot of money.
If you are renting a place, spend aorund 500rs and get yourself a small cylinder or something with a single burner cooking gas. Saves a lot of money.

For reference, I am attaching a zoom level 10 PNG from Openstreetmap, you can download detailed maps of areas you are interested in
Ladakh and Changthang : The Wilderness Chronicles-map.png
Old 1st May 2011, 14:31   #300
BHPian

Hi,
Would there be snow in mid May??

Most Viewed