Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2010, 13:34   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The Honeymoon Drive

The transition from singular to plural i.e from “I” to “WE” happened on the 30th of May 2010 by tying the wedding knot. With the marriage rituals coming towards an end. My fiancé (oops, now my wife) had planned for a honeymoon to the Munnar hill station. Now we then discussed the mode of transport, which again I won the round of discussion (at least at the beginning of the new life) that we would drive down to Munnar. Though there was a bit of hesitation from my parents, they agreed to the plan. So we start off on the 4th of June 2010.

Day 1: 4th June 2010

Started off from my residence at sharp 5 am. Drove straight to my M-I-L’s house in BEML 3rd Stage, Rajarajeshwarinagar. Then drive off from there at 6.30 am straight to the silk board and then took the elevated expressway towards Hosur. Filled our stomachs (ourselves and the car) in Hosur (Fuel costs lesser across the border you see). Continued driving on the NH-7 from Hosur at around 8.30 am to reach Dindigul by 12.15 pm.

Stopped at Dindigul for an early lunch. After leisurely lunch, started towards Pilliarpatti via Natham and Tirupattur. The roads were good, but a bit on the bumpier side. Reached Pilliarpatti at 3 pm and with the temple being closed had a chance to take a good nap for 45 mins with the AC running in the car as it was pretty hot.

The temple doors opened at 4 pm, and we went for the darshan and moved out from Pilliarpatti at around 4:45 pm and drove towards Madurai. On reach Madurai outskirts, it started raining very heavily with gusty winds. Though the speeds were low, the drive was fun with the sunlight still left. Then lost way in taking the deviation to Theni, entered the Madurai city and wasted a good one hour finding the correct route. With the rain following us we made slow progress and finally reached Theni at around 7.45 pm. Early dinner, then off we leave towards Kumily where we had planned to stay. By this time, wife was into questioning mode as to how long do we need to travel. Kept on telling another 15 mins and finally reached Kumily by 9.15 pm. Off we to go the Hotel we had earlier booked and hit the bed by 10 pm.

No pics on day 1. Lazy me, had forgotten to charge rechargeable batteries. Put them on charge overnight to ensure the pics are clicked at least on day 2.

Day 2 coming up shortly

Last edited by nkrishnap : 17th June 2010 at 13:37.
Old 17th June 2010, 13:43   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Pics of Honeymoon - that a first one!

;-)
Old 17th June 2010, 13:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

nkrishanan,

first, many congratulations on your marriage. Good wishes to you and your wife a very happy married life. may all your dreams come true.

Sudev ji : apart from pictures, we should also expect romantic poetry, passionate songs/dances, some small Nok-Jhok, first arguments, reconciliation, great locales, bright colourful costumes and eventually a great finish

Last edited by StarVegabond : 17th June 2010 at 13:52.
Old 17th June 2010, 13:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

nkp saar. Congratulations Once again and wish you both a very very happy married life!

Waiting to hear & see more about this trip as I am going down the same road a few days later.
Old 17th June 2010, 14:37   #5
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Sir. Small advice from me. Though this might sound ridiculous, I still spell it out. Never sleep in your car with the A/c on. There has been reported deaths due to A/c malfunction leading to CO poisoning. Ofcourse, the reaction time is too less in such an eventuality, whether one is awake or asleep. But it's better to take a nap with free flowing air (however hot it is) than with all windows cranked up and a/c running.
People can pitch in with their views on this.
And congratulations and best wishes on a happy married life.
Old 17th June 2010, 14:39   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Sir. Small advice from me. Though this might sound ridiculous, I still spell it out. Never sleep in your car with the A/c on. There has been reported deaths due to A/c malfunction leading to CO poisoning. Ofcourse, the reaction time is too less in such an eventuality, whether one is awake or asleep. But it's better to take a nap with free flowing air (however hot it is) than with all windows cranked up and a/c running.
I had this in mind and hence the front and the rear windows were almost half open and the blower was directed towards me.

Anyways will keep this in mind
Old 17th June 2010, 14:42   #7
BHPian

Hearty congrats, nkrishnap!

Now let the story continue...
Old 17th June 2010, 14:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
I had this in mind and hence the front and the rear windows were almost half open and the blower was directed towards me.

Anyways will keep this in mind
Its an Urban Legend!

Old 17th June 2010, 14:50   #9
BHPian

@NKP, Congrats on your marriage. Wishing you both a Happy Married life. As you rightly said, you will win the first argument only.
Old 17th June 2010, 14:51   #10
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I'm not talking of the benzene stuff. I was refering to exhaust leak on to A/C. If I remember correctly, some years back there were two such incidents in Chennai where people were inside with a/c on and the exhaust leaked on to the a/c poisoning the inmates of the cars.
One case was of a couple of guys stranded in their car due to rains and decided to sit inside with windows rolled and a/c running, and that apparently I guess happened near T-Nagar area in Chennai.
It's a freak incident, but nevertheless an incident.
Old 17th June 2010, 14:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not talking of the benzene stuff. I was refering to exhaust leak on to A/C. If I remember correctly, some years back there were two such incidents in Chennai where people were inside with a/c on and the exhaust leaked on to the a/c poisoning the inmates of the cars.
One case was of a couple of guys stranded in their car due to rains and decided to sit inside with windows rolled and a/c running, and that apparently I guess happened near T-Nagar area in Chennai.
It's a freak incident, but nevertheless an incident.
Whoops! I misunderstood your earlier post then.

I fail to understand how the exhaust gases from the back would enter into the cabin. But I feel running the AC on and keeping the engine on idling is calling for some really high engine temp levels.

Lets not digress from the honeymoon further!
Old 17th June 2010, 15:06   #12
BHPian

Yeh Hearty Congratulations dude.

Wish you a happy married life and many more such wonderful and happy trips.
Old 17th June 2010, 15:07   #13
BHPian

Hi Boss

The first thought that comes to my mind after reading this blog is 'another hero succumbs'!!!!
jokes apart, make the most of the arguements you win early on in marriage, because in a year or two, you dont stand a chance of even trying to argue!!!
Best wishes to a whole new life, great start, keep it going.

Subs
Old 17th June 2010, 15:12   #14
BHPian

Congratulations & all the best for a Happy Married Life

Waiting to see more of munnar in monsoon, bring it on !
Old 17th June 2010, 15:13   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 2: 5th June 2010

As per the instructions of my wife not to wake her up till 9 am in the morning, decided to shelve the boat safari plan at Thekkady. This came as a punishment for the previous day’s almost continuous drive. Got ready and finished breakfast by 11 am, then headed for the elephant ride. Had our chance to ride on Mr. Unni Krishnan (the 25 year old male elephant).

The elephant

The Honeymoon Drive-img_5568.jpg

The new couple on the elephant

The Honeymoon Drive-img_5555.jpg

Holding the tusks

The Honeymoon Drive-img_5571.jpg

We headed to the nearby restaurant, finished lunch and drove off towards Kottayam to find a tea estate to give the camera a bit of work.

The car

The Honeymoon Drive-img_5605.jpg

The Honeymoon Drive-img_5649.jpg

The Honeymoon Drive-img_5597.jpg

Me posing with the car

The Honeymoon Drive-img_5669.jpg

Headed back to the room after having lemon tea. It was time to watch a Telugu movie “Pravarakyudu”. We both liked the movie very much. A movie about love which is not so romantic, which is a bit weird.

Ending the day by hitting bed, but not before having the kerala parotas for dinner.

Day 3 coming up

Most Viewed